test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

With the collapse of the DILEX, I can no longer defend this game's business model

Comments

• Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    I had another thought for this. Make those odd little blue and purple Commodities https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Commodities purchasable in packs through the uncommon phoenix box rewards
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    As someone who plays FF14... I feel I need to address some of this myself.
    When I played a free trial FF14 did in the past I only saw a stock standard FF game, like all the others. Not to mention all the horrible things I've heard on Reddit about FF14 from people who play it regularly.
    -The devs are pathological liars who've broken every promise they made.
    Not that I am aware of... Hell... the EP himself apologized PROFUSELY when Endwalker was pushed back. Full blown Japanese Apology mode complete with bowing. He was THAT emotional about it.
    -The housing system is abusive, and takes your house away if you cancel you sub. This despite the devs themselves telling people to unsub in-between content updates.
    Not true. I have NEVER heard the devs telling people to unsub. As for the Housing system... there's only a finite number of plots available to begin with. If you don't visit your house within a 45 day window, it will be demolished and the plot made available for someone else. While I semi agree that GETTING a house is a PITA (joking about it being the TRUE PvP), once you actually HAVE a house the housing system is frickin' amazing in the fact you can decorate it in ANY way you want with little to no restriction on where you can put things. AND you can actually visit other players houses and see what they've done with theirs. TOR, by contrast, can't just walk up to another player's yard, and you're limited by what can fit in certain nodes.
    -Despite the money FF14 is making the game has awful content regularity issues, with content drops happening maybe once every 6 months, and just being a new dungeon.(even STO puts out more content then that jeez).
    FF14 is by far a much bigger game than STO. Not only that, they actually work on full blown expansions that so far have been put out every two years, with MASSIVE amounts of story content. Hell... Endwalker has so far had more Main Scenario Quests than Shadowbringers, the previous expansion. So to say they put out less content than STO is false.
    -The game has less content each expansion despite each one doing so well.
    Again... deceptive statement. See previous point.
    -The game has a horribly abusive cash shop, and many highly Pay-2-win features like the retainer system. Which you need for inventory space, being able to sell things on the market, and retainer unique crafting materials.
    What P2W? You don't NEED many retainers for "inventory space" unless you're a packrat keeping everything under the sun. I've been playing for a few years now and have done fine with just 2. While more retainers do mean more slots for selling stuff, you also have to manage the prices if things get undercut. And the cash shop... that stuff is COSMETIC! There is no P2W in it! You can't buy skill or experience with classes.
    The only factor people seemed to really care about was the worst one ever. That all the "cute" girls can be put in super revealing clothing. That, and it looks pretty. FF14's success seems more to do with WoW's failure, and constant shooting itself in the foot, rather then its own successes in gameplay and such.

And you couldn't put characters in WoW in revealing clothing? And if FF14 was that bad... how did they win two awards, Best Community Support and Best Ongoing Game?

WoW enjoyed the throne for a LONG time, and rightly so. But times change, and with all the controvercies and missteps by Blizzard, the King has fallen. The prophecized WoW Killer wasn't a brand new game. It was an older one that wasn't even trying to kill it.

So frankly... I don't know WHO you've been talking to regarding FF14, but it sounds like they are HIGHLY biased. Also the base A Realm Reborn story can be a bit bland, but holy shtako does it improve when you hit Heavensward expansion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    Bonus Dill week coming... make sure you all stock up! lol
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2022
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    I had another thought for this. Make those odd little blue and purple Commodities https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Commodities purchasable in packs through the uncommon phoenix box rewards

I also really like this idea, I mean the blue Commodities likely be popular, as would the purple variations (depending on the quantities) - they'd likely be account-bound, yet still give a lot of options for people to expand &/or save up some or several of each. I could see the Rare Commodities being a Uncommon or Rare Phoenix Token, and the Very Rare being perhaps a Rare or Very Rare Token. It would just depend how many each gave.

Very good idea there Blitzy, even though others are too focused to take note of this!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    raijinmeister#1931 raijinmeister Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    Ever since the switch to F2P, I have always defended STO's business model as one of, if not "the" best in the MMO industry.

Yes, there are purchases, and yes there is gambling. But whenever a person tried to say the game "isn't really free" I have always pointed out that because of the dilex you can get anything you want for free as long as you are willing to put in the time to earn the dil to trade for zen.

Even with lockbox ships, the fact that these could be bought on the exchange for EC meant that if you were willing to grind dil, or even spend real money to buy keys to sell for EC, you could get these ships without actually gambling yourself.

Unfortunately, the recent collapse of the dilex has destroyed those arguments. You can no longer realistically trade dil for zen. And many lockbox ships are no longer available on the exchange, as the prices have inflated past the exchange limit.

As a LTS from beta, I've spent a lot on this game. I'm not quitting, and I will still play the few pieces of content that drop throughout the year. But unfortunately it's no longer a business model I can defend.

Welcome to the party. The Pay-2-Win model broke the economy, they blamed the rerol tokens, they removed it and it didn't fix anything and in the end we lost a game feature that used to help new players. GENIUS!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    (redacted material quote removed) - darkbladejk

Dear mods, this person is alt that somtaawkhar created to evade his ban. If you look at his join date (oct 21) and his post style (super long winded posts, replies with lists, multi-quoting) it is beyond obvious who it is.

A brand new player who joined oct 21 isn't suddenly some expert on the game either. What a sad spectacle this is.

@rattler2 @wingedhussar#7584 @ambassadorkael#6946
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Dear mods, this person is alt that somtaawkhar created to evade his ban. If you look at his join date (oct 21) and his post style (super long winded posts, replies with lists, multi-quoting) it is beyond obvious who it is.

A brand new player who joined oct 21 isn't suddenly some expert on the game either. What a sad spectacle this is.

@rattler2 @wingedhussar#7584 @ambassadorkael#6946

Oh, and here's another piece of evidence.

His alt's forum name @naabal421#0722 is a homeworld reference:

https://homeworld.fandom.com/wiki/Kiith_Naabal

His reddit alt is also named after something from homeworld:

https://www.reddit.com/user/TheSajuukKhar

https://homeworld.fandom.com/wiki/Sajuuk-Khar

See this recent comment for reference:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/rwbz4g/kael_are_you_a_member_of_the_sto_community_who/hrbrmi7/

(pic in case he deletes that comment later)

Pretty obvious, huh?

(redacted material quote removed) - darkbladejk
  • Options
    tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User

I don't think he cares if anyone realizes it's him or not.

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Folks, I'm going to say what i said when i used to admin/mod game forums in the past: When you suspect a ban evasion, report it through the appropriate channels and don't make a public event of it. I'm sure the mods in here feel the same way.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    reyan01 wrote: »
    As opposed to STO and it's aggressive monetization, reliance on FOMO and other toxic psychological pressure tactics and focus on churning out low-effort cookie-cutter event content that employs the above tactics to funnel players into gacha-game-style "pay to avoid wasting a bunch of time" buyouts?

Hey don't forget the - do basically the same thing for 20+ DAYS (once every 20 hours) and get your prize item (classic Carrort/Stick tactics)
    ^^^

(redacted material quote removed/ objectionable material quote removed) - darkbladejk
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The only reason I haven't slapped him for being aggressive is the fact that I'm directly involved (argument over FF14 the previous page), therefor I shouldn't take action myself as some would see it as Mod Abuse. The other mods are already investigating.

So all I'm gonna say right now is knock off the aggression guys. As another user said, if you suspect rule violations, then report them. Don't start a public flame war.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.