test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

32nd Century Earth leaves the Federation . . . Wait, what????

12346»

Comments

• naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Letting them die actually went against the Prime Directive, the Prime Directive prohibits "Helping a society escape a natural disaster known to the society, even if inaction would result in a society's extinction, unless the society had warp technology and had formally requested aid" well the Romulans were Warp Capable and Formally Requested Starfleet's aid, Starfleet violated the Prime Directive when they didn't hold up their end of the bargain.
    And the Federation isn't compelled via the Prime Directive to do it even if both things are true. Both things being true only enables them to do it if they desire. Even still, the Federation did try, and then the Romulans blew up their own evac fleet, and then the Federation didn't have the ships to evac them, so they couldn't. The Federation made every required effort to help the Romulans. It was the Romulans themselves, twisted by their own history and culture of fear, paranoia, and hatred, that prevented themselves from being evaced. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Even still, the Federation DID try to help the Romulan people by having Spock use Red Matter to collapse the supernova before it could desotry both planets. While this plan didn't end up working, they did still try to save Romulus and Remas even after the evac fleet was destroyed.
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Since STO is in its own alternate universe (the one where the gravity of Odo being the first and only Changeling to harm another is tossed out the window), and we have a bunch of Temporal Recruits and Operatives, maybe we can travel to the future and rescue the stranded baby Kelpien? That way he doesn't get lonely and cause The Burn... and we restore the timeline back to The Burn being caused by us over the skies of Rura Penthe during the Klingon Civil War.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Since STO is in its own alternate universe (the one where the gravity of Odo being the first and only Changeling to harm another is tossed out the window), and we have a bunch of Temporal Recruits and Operatives, maybe we can travel to the future and rescue the stranded baby Kelpien? That way he doesn't get lonely and cause The Burn... and we restore the timeline back to The Burn being caused by us over the skies of Rura Penthe during the Klingon Civil War.
    In my headcanon, my Ferasan, who acquired a time-displaced Mars-class and thus is aware of the Burn from its database, is so gonna record blowing up all those dilithium-filled freighters just in case she gets assigned to a mission in the 32nd century, just to troll whatever Federation higher-up she encounters.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

It would be nice to think, but when Disco signs-off on a season, it never revisits it. Each of them is just so radically different...it really is episodic seasons :-/
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    In my headcanon, my Ferasan, who acquired a time-displaced Mars-class and thus is aware of the Burn from its database, is so gonna record blowing up all those dilithium-filled freighters just in case she gets assigned to a mission in the 32nd century, just to troll whatever Federation higher-up she encounters.

Nice, I'm just going to get some popcorn while I watch the Matter/Anti-Matter warp ships blow up from my Artificial Singularity core powered ship, so far the Burn would never affect Romulan ships, Discovery's version of Romulans swapped to Matter/Anti-Matter warp technology.

Nice, I'm just going to get some popcorn while I watch the Matter/Anti-Matter warp ships blow up from my Artificial Singularity core powered ship, so far the Burn would never affect Romulan ships, Discovery's version of Romulans swapped to Matter/Anti-Matter warp technology.

It would have been a BRILLIANT stroke if when Discovery arrived, "The Burn" had happened and the Romulans seized the opportunity to conquer the Alpha Quadrant...since they famously didn't use traditional warp cores. Or, like I say...if they had done Reunification and since we didn't see them, obviously abandoned the Remans; if the Remans had pounced on the opportunity and were a power.
    kayajay wrote: »

It would have been a BRILLIANT stroke if when Discovery arrived, "The Burn" had happened and the Romulans seized the opportunity to conquer the Alpha Quadrant...since they famously didn't use traditional warp cores. Or, like I say...if they had done Reunification and since we didn't see them, obviously abandoned the Remans; if the Remans had pounced on the opportunity and were a power.

You mean the Beta Quadrant, DS9 covered the entire Alpha Quadrant with their Ferengi, Bajorans and Cardies, while Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Orions and Romulans are all Beta Quadrant Species.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    while Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Orions and Romulans are all Beta Quadrant Species.
    *puts helmet on* Oh boy, here we go!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User

To be fair, that wouldn't have been a very believable story.

Planets join the Federation because they want to. It's logical that it is as big as it is, as long as things are going well. As soon as they stop going well (like when the Burn or something better thought through happens) the Federation might fall apart, but that won't make it any easier for a power like the Romulans to conquer AND keep surpressed all those planets. (Yes, the Klingons manage to do it, but that's probably just as unlikely to good well for a long time.)

Even if, centuries after Hobus, they are a major power again, you'd need huge amounts of manpower, ships and other things to control that many planets. The ability to quickly get everywhere is just one tiny factor of importance in maintaining an empire. Especially when it's as diverse as all those planets together are.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Planets join the Federation because they want to. It's logical that it is as big as it is, as long as things are going well. As soon as they stop going well (like when the Burn or something better thought through happens) the Federation might fall apart, but that won't make it any easier for a power like the Romulans to conquer AND keep surpressed all those planets. (Yes, the Klingons manage to do it, but that's probably just as unlikely to good well for a long time.)

Even if, centuries after Hobus, they are a major power again, you'd need huge amounts of manpower, ships and other things to control that many planets. The ability to quickly get everywhere is just one tiny factor of importance in maintaining an empire. Especially when it's as diverse as all those planets together are.

Well, it was just reiterated in the first episode of season four...EVERY ship with an active warp core exploded. Those that didn't, were dead in space. The Romulans always kept up a healthy fleet, so they should have been able to run rings around the survivors.
    while Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Orions and Romulans are all Beta Quadrant Species.
    *puts helmet on* Oh boy, here we go!

Technically Earth is on the border, and even then half the planet is located in the Beta Quadrant while the other half is located in the Alpha Quadrant.
    In STO, it's frustrating that Earth is right next to the board. The original galaxy map was just one piece of course, so it didn't matter...but I'm always getting the message about going to the Alpha Quadrant. I also never really saw the point...why not just have had it all in the Alpha Quadrant? That's where Voyager always was headed, where the Dominion was being fought...popping this Beta boarder thing in just feels a bit much.
    I also never really saw the point...why not just have had it all in the Alpha Quadrant? That's where Voyager always was headed, where the Dominion was being fought...popping this Beta boarder thing in just feels a bit much.
    Well, STO's in-game map is based off of the Star Trek Star Charts maps, and those firmly place Klingon and Romulan space in the Beta Quadrant, and Earth along the dividing line. IIRC, theres a map in one of the TNG movies, that was later reused in Voyager, that shows the same thing as well(which is probably where the Star charts got it from)

The Star Charts maps became so popular that pretty much everything like the novels, comics, and STO used them. And both Discovery and Picard used the Star Charts maps in the shows, making them actual canon.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    They made the bits they adapted canon, not the entire star charts - I recall there being some minor differences between the latest version of Star Charts and those used in Discovery and Picard.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited November 2021

The Klingons managed it because they don't take over major starfaring worlds en masse and try to occupy them all at once, their empire slowly grew over 1500 years. Their frontier conflicts with the Federation mainly involved uninhabited and lightly inhabited worlds, with not much more than raids conducted on the more built up worlds to destroy infrastructure (similar idea to the bombing raids in WWII).

The Romulans would have several advantages, such as their singularity drive, and the fact that at least until the tech exchange with the Klingons in TOS the RSE was denser with less empty space because their slow (probably gravity based) FTL drive that Scotty didn't recognize as one didn't give them the luxury of cherrypicking the best worlds and mostly ignoring the ones in between. The Federation is even more spread out because it is a collection of semi-independent worlds and all their colonies that they ran across during exploration, and nations always try to claim extra territory to expand into so there is a lot of idle space to skip over.
  • dewolf13dewolf13 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    that's Discovery in a nutshell, it doesn't make any sense and rarely if ever fits canon at all.

...what would Discovery be if it wasn't the 21st century in space (nothing)?

Haha this is perfect.
    In my opinion, the problem many (including me) are turned off by the dystopian take on the Star Trek universe. TOS and TNG were all about the possibilities for a brilliant future. DS9 went dark with war, mainly because B5 was kicking TNG's butt in syndication rankings. Voyager too was a pretty bleak series, if you take the long view. Enterprise tried to bring back some of the bright future, and if it had gone another two-three seasons I think people would not malign it so much.
    but Discovery... Lord. everything is dismal and destroyed and anarchy.
    I'm honestly not sure where you see any of that in Discovery.

Discovery S1 and S2 are still set in the same future where replicators, and free education, healthcare, housing, and food, have eliminated most needs and wants in the future, and an alliance of dozens of worlds have brought peace to a large portion of space, that all the other Trek shows are.

And even when they go into the future in S3 the Federation still exists, and worlds not part of the Federation anymore like Earth, Ni'var, Trill, are still perfectly fine. Even worlds out in the boonies like Hima are portrayed as far future utopian cities. The only real difference is that the lack of dilthium means people can't travel as far, so everyone is looking more inward. There is no chaos, no Mad Max style anarchy.

There is really nothing dystopian about anything in Discovery, or Picard.
    What is this doing as a new post? I posted this like two weeks ago? Are my old posts that got eaten coming back now or something?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    What is this doing as a new post? I posted this like two weeks ago? Are my old posts that got eaten coming back now or something?

One of the mods was doing something behind the scenes. Nothing to worry about.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    So this post isn't Necroed? Cool
    So this post isn't Necroed? Cool

The post before yours was late November, it would not be necro unless untouched by late December.

While NuTrek is not truly dystopian, traditional Trek was not utopian either but people called it that quite often. Roddenberry often said at conventions and in interviews that it specifically was not utopian (it was a goal the Federation strived for though) and all of the utopias in the series were false utopias (in fact the show explored the question of whether a true utopia was even possible in a few episodes).

The fact remains though that DSC and PIC are unnecessarily dark and purposely incompatible with the tone of traditional treks. They could have made them as dark as they did without breaking compatibility if they had bothered to show different shades of darkness and light, the same way they could have avoided creating the rift in the fanbase if they had mixed styles instead of spurning everything shown in TOS since Moonves hates TOS and no one on Kurtzman's team is a fan of it either (the set designer had such contempt for TOS she called the TOS ship "the cardboard Enterprise" in an interview for instance, and said that the ONLY good Trek before DSC was The Undiscovered Country).
  • imelchori42imelchori42 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    husanakx wrote: »
    Discovery is one of the worst written TV shows to ever get more then a couple episodes. Why it is still going is beyond logic.

No it isn't. The fact that a bunch of vocal Trekkies/Trekkers voice negative opinion about the series on Social Media doesn't reflect the overall popularity of the series any more than the vocal minority here, in STO, reflects on the decisions the Devs make about the game.

Like it or not the FACT is that, internet opinions aside, its popular enough that it is making money and so long as that is the case they'll continue making it.

what does reflect the overall popularity however is that Netflix wanted out of the deal with CBS since season 2, that made them pay for the entire production costs of the first few seasons upfront in return for the airing rights. so even the first two seasons clearly couldnt have brought in the minimum requirements to be profitable for netflix.

the problem was that it would have been a breach of contract, and secret hideout would have sued them for large sums of money. so they swallowed up their mistake and had to stick to the deal.

which is why they had enough money to make those first seasons by the way. not because its popular.

what also reflects the overall popularity is that netflix infact immediately dropped the show when they got out of the contract just before season 4. (classic trek shows are still trending on netflix btw.)

what also reflects its popularity that CBS tried to auction off the airing rights to the show and nobody wanted it.

we dont actually know its real popularity because CBS wont publish viewe counts. what we do know is however that the premier on traditional TV had been beatedn by old reruns of gameshows when they published something.

we also know that they couldnt find someone to produce merch for them for a long time, because no one wanted anything to do with it.

or that the only way for CBS to release the shows 4th season internationally was on a free platform. and no, that wasnt a decision made by CBS to "bring the show home" like some sources are trying to put a twist on it. there is no way they would leave the massive beneficial deal for them with netflix if they had a choice. especially since their own international distribution platform isnt ready yet, and the show was supposed to be the flagship for their streaming service.

the signs are adding up mate. $TD has no audience, and its not just "a few trekkies" who hate it.

you, infact, are the vocal minority advocating for it, while most people ridicule it, dislike it, or downright hate it. the writing of the $TD doesnt even hold a candle to older trek shows writing at their worst.

hell, i could write an entire book about the shows narrative problems if i wanted.

A few flaws in these thoughts:

- The Romulans and the Vulcan's reunified. So far as can be told there are no Romulans lurking around on some planet somewhere with their own fleet of ships. And they clearly moved past scheming and lurking in the shadows at some point in their history.
    - We have literally NO evidence to suggest that Singularity cores don't use Dilithium in some way, shape or form. As has been mentioned many time before, Dilithum is NOT a power source - it's a power regulator. All we know is that Romulans once used an artificial singularity to power their ships. That implies they would still need something to channel/regulate the power generated to create a warp bubble. And we know they mined dilithium in the 24th century.

And to elaborate on that last point - if Singularity cores were the answer to the lack of Dilithium issue the Ni'Var would've been using them. And they clearly weren't, as they were no better off than anyone else post-Burn. There is no way that the ability to build that technoloy was lost to the winds of time and it can therefore be strongly assumed that it wasn't viable. Heck, if it had been there would've been no need for experiments like SB-19 (which the Ni'Var considered dangerous in the end) or the more recently mentioned Pathway Drive.

Anyway - given that the story clearly outlined that Federation tried several other technologies and none worked out it's pretty clear that the throwaway subplot of a single TNG episode wasn't the answer.

It was not just one episode, the first time the Ent-D came across a D'Deridex they mentioned the singularity power source, and several times since then. The phase shift episode was simply the only one that focused on it rather than just mentioning it.

The dialog of that first encounter made it sound more like the singularity was more because of the huge size of the ship, but it was not exactly explicit about it either, and if they used it in smaller military ships too it would neatly explain how Scotty could miss the FTL engines on the warbird that attacked the outposts in Balance of Terror if he was looking for a warp core instead of something that manipulated a singularity.

Also, the Romulans could be using the dilithium from Remus for something besides regulating a matter/antimatter reaction (and for that matter they could have some warp core ships and M/aM ground reactors in addition to the singularity powered ones.

Of course, there is a huge plot hole in that Kurtzman's team apparently didn't know about the fact that heavy phasers use dilithium matrixes (the paddle-shaped dilithium) as revealed in The Alternative Factor. That means that unless the dilithium in those regenerated themselves then ship phasers would not work, or at least not without massive changes to the system (and probable loss of efficiency and power).

As usual in DSC the plot was secondary to the SFX, stunts, and eyecandy.
    edited December 2021
    Of course, there is a huge plot hole in that Kurtzman's team apparently didn't know about the fact that heavy phasers use dilithium matrixes (the paddle-shaped dilithium) as revealed in The Alternative Factor. That means that unless the dilithium in those regenerated themselves then ship phasers would not work, or at least not without massive changes to the system (and probable loss of efficiency and power).
    Given that no other Trek series makes mention of such a thing(that I can think of) this is most likely just a TOSism, and not considered canon since long before Discovery was a thing.

Taking a quick look at the wiki, back in TOS they also said that phasers used a rechargeable power source separate from the main power supply(according to the Doomsday Machine episode) Dilthium isn't rechargeable by its nature. Then by TMP and Wrath of Khan pahser power was drawn directly from the warp core, and didn't use a separate power source at all
    edited December 2021
    In TOS and ENT they had large phaser capacitor banks (STO has them as tac consoles) and the phasers were wired to the impulse stacks for power to charge the capacitor banks. When they fired phasers they could use the two sources of power in parallel to boost the damage (and probably the speed) of the phasers as shown in ENT but they still could not get enough power to overcome improved shielding by the early 2270s.

It was one of the reasons they used warp in combat up until just before the 2270s, using warp left all of the output of the impulse stacks for phasers and possibly other combat systems like shields. They stopped fighting in warp after switching the connection to the warp core for more phaser power since going to warp after that would seriously reduce the amount of power available to the weapons and shields.

Those "phaser power cells" were probably just advanced versions of the phaser capacitors they always used. Think of it like a UPS for weapons.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User

- We have literally NO evidence to suggest that Singularity cores don't use Dilithium in some way, shape or form. As has been mentioned many time before, Dilithum is NOT a power source - it's a power regulator. All we know is that Romulans once used an artificial singularity to power their ships. That implies they would still need something to channel/regulate the power generated to create a warp bubble. And we know they mined dilithium in the 24th century.
    Perhaps the singularity cores didn't require dilithium as a power regulator onboard ships, but required it as part of the process for creating the singularity itself. And perhaps the process the Romulans used caused the dilithium to be completely consumed, thus creating the need for the Reman mining operations, and why singularity cores weren't considered a viable replacement for M/AM cores in new ships during the peak dilithium crisis. Or perhaps singularity cores don't require dilithium at any stage. Perhaps singularities simply couldn't provide enough power output to run ships by that point in time.

Regardless, it would be nice if the DSC writers would actually take some time to address this in the show somehow, instead of leaving a huge hole for the fans to try to fill in. As it stands, it feels like they jammed the clumsy peak oil allusion into the franchise lore without actually taking the time to make sure it would fit with previously established elements.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Quite frankly, Earth leaving the federation after all that's happened by that time isn't that far out there IMO.

The core of the federation itself was pretty much in disarray and humans did what humans do best: Being stupid.

Before the vulcans landed to initiate first contact, humanity was kinda thrown back about 150 years in development and overall infrastructure and tech.

Now in 32nd century, after the other races were essentially far away again, the federation HQ no longer functioning, and FTL-travel being unavailable, humanity again turned inward and paranoid.

I'm sure there were a lot of tinfoil-hat-movements at the time of the collapse, too.
This discussion has been closed.