test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The point in Detached Warp Nacelles I hear you ask?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
Now, maybe I'm in the minority to not find Detached Warp Nacelles cool, or to believe the "science" behind them, but I personally believe that the whole point of Disco creating them, is to use more CGI.

I can't think of any other reason for pieces of a hull to be floating away from the rest of the ship, (especially the Janeway, with the saucer floating free) and you are not telling me that there's some sort of beam that could hit those gaps...Tachyon, Antithoron, Radion, Polaron, Antichroniton that could disrupt that weird matter and send the pieces flying off.

If I were the bad guy and saw that design, my entire purpose in an attack would be to do exactly that and you're not telling me that someone wouldn't succeed. It's a vulnerability, with a Producer Driven reason behind it.

In my humble opinion.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Problem is, you're thinking to 21th century. It's not magentism, or any other sort of invible bond. Rather, I feel they meant to show that what, 29th century ships can use space in a manner we do not yet understand; and that those pieces may well be physically connected, and 'folded', as it were, in a dimensional way we can't fathom yet. Like a Tardis being bigger on the inside: it's all just to convey future tech may do stuff with dimensions that is far beyond our current reach.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    The TARDIS, Kal Dano and his little ship...lovely, but how do thing floating and seemingly floating free make a difference? They even call them specifically detached and that's nothing to do with being dimensionally transcendental. Have you see the schematics for that TARDIS? It's ENORMOUS and I would love for a ship to be the size of a coin and as big as a city, because that's cool and also makes real sense...but floating bits and bobs really doesn't have any reason to it. They took necks away from Starfleet vessels to make them less vulnerable...they've taken pylons away from ships in the future because someone though it would be "cool".
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    @meimeitoo , you speak my kinda language, lol... Who and Trek in the same post? I like you already...

:wink:

Anyway, I agree with both posts. I do sincerely believe that most of what constitutes New Trek is completely producer driven. From dialogue, to characters, to effects...

However, I also think it's a way of showing a new technology, like Meimeitoo said...

Think about the TOS/TMP Enterprise and tell me you don't think the nacelle pylons wouldn't/shouldn't be a target for any enemy with brains...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    The greatest technology would be nacelles that aren't even reachable. The Defiant and Delta Flyer had built in nacelles, but you look at something like the Relativity and actually, even the Cardassian ships and there was just nothing to hit.

If you're looking to the future though...that's how the Borg got things done. "Strangely generalized in design", with no specific anything. The key would have been to abandon traditional saucers and nacelles, built cubes or spheres and the interfaces to be without consoles whatsoever and driven by the mind.

I tell you...it's the Producers poking their oars in and then the fans left to scramble to justify why it works.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Well, what was the point of putting them on sticks in the first place?

If it's some form of exotic matter or power that we don't know about which keeps the stuff together, who's to say that metal and duranium can do a better job? It's not like we can make detailed calculations about this stuff. A fully fact-based debate isn't really possible here.

To illustrate why: it's basically like saying that a phaser pistol is a dumb idea because 'obviously' lead bullets would do a better job than some sort of ray gun that can be sabotaged by destroying its power cell.

Tech in sci fi is rather speculative in nature, with some key components, technicalities and requirements specifically mentioned. You can't really say that such a technology wouldn't have any advantage just because it is dependent on that specific something - as that is true of anything you might come up with.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I think the purpose of the detatched parts in the 32nd Century is to show technological advancement from the LAST most advanced time period we've seen, the 29th.

I mean think about it. In the 29th Century we have almost organic shaped ships that can jump through TIME. How do you show something more advanced than that? They decided that having detatched parts that still function as one complete unit was the way to go. And logically... it kinda makes sense as the next technological step. I think the only thing more advanced would be bioships, but that opens up a whole new can of worms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think the purpose of the detatched parts in the 32nd Century is to show technological advancement from the LAST most advanced time period we've seen, the 29th.

I mean think about it. In the 29th Century we have almost organic shaped ships that can jump through TIME. How do you show something more advanced than that? They decided that having detatched parts that still function as one complete unit was the way to go. And logically... it kinda makes sense as the next technological step. I think the only thing more advanced would be bioships, but that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Yeah, most likely. It may be a producer decision, but one that clearly has a narrative purpose.

It's not that much different from ST: Enterprise characters not having any artificial life forms amongst the crew, or the transporter being a new thing. You just need to show in your series that things have evolved.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Well, what was the point of putting them on sticks in the first place?

If it's some form of exotic matter or power that we don't know about which keeps the stuff together, who's to say that metal and duranium can do a better job? It's not like we can make detailed calculations about this stuff. A fully fact-based debate isn't really possible here.

To illustrate why: it's basically like saying that a phaser pistol is a dumb idea because 'obviously' lead bullets would do a better job than some sort of ray gun that can be sabotaged by destroying its power cell.

Tech in sci fi is rather speculative in nature, with some key components, technicalities and requirements specifically mentioned. You can't really say that such a technology wouldn't have any advantage just because it is dependent on that specific something - as that is true of anything you might come up with.

I assumed that "on sticks", was because at the time, they COULDN'T be against the hull. Radiation or heat spillage etc, so they had to be away from the main hull. Otherwise, why would Zefram's nacelles have had to extend out, instead of just having one big engine at the back?

And absolutely go back to bullets! A TR-116 would handle the Borg and if Star Trek keeps using Star Wars-esque bolts (which I hate), instead of their creation of sustained beams (which I love and pine for), then at least that would be more interesting.

• Options

Yeah, most likely. It may be a producer decision, but one that clearly has a narrative purpose.

It's not that much different from ST: Enterprise characters not having any artificial life forms amongst the crew, or the transporter being a new thing. You just need to show in your series that things have evolved.

Instead of being a new thing, I just wish it hadn't been a thing at all. No transporter, no shuttle pods and just the ship landing whenever it needed to. Am I the only one to love seeing a ship land? They wanted to each week in TOS, but it was too expensive, to that's the reason they invented the transporter for the show.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    kayajay wrote: »
    Instead of being a new thing, I just wish it hadn't been a thing at all. No transporter, no shuttle pods and just the ship landing whenever it needed to. Am I the only one to love seeing a ship land? They wanted to each week in TOS, but it was too expensive, to that's the reason they invented the transporter for the show.

Landing 400+ crew city-ships doesn't make much sense. That's what shuttles, fighters, gigs, runabouts and transporters are for. These are space navy, and space navy uses small craft for landing just like water navy doesn't beach the main craft.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    As I've said in other threads on the topic, I see detached nacelles and secondary hulls as a means to protect the rest of the ship when those components suffer catastrophic damage. A damaged nacelle can be more easily jettisoned and replaced if it's physically detached, and an exploding nacelle, secondary hull, or saucer section will probably cause less damage to the rest of the ship if they aren't physically connected.

For example in a Generations scenario they could all use their badges to quickly transport to the saucer section, then disengage whatever holds the ship together, and have a lot more time to get to a safe distance than the crew of the Enterprise D had. Depending on how it's setup they might even be able to move the nacelles over to the saucer while they escape, further minimizing the damage.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    kapustickkapustick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    The strongest bond between two entities is love. Love transcends both time and distance. It is also a bond that one cannot see.
    In a universe of sentient AI, it would be the greatest honor to fight a battle in a ship that wasn't just a fighting platform. Just one vehicle entity that was the summation of a family or brotherhood would be a formidable opponent.

It is always easier to be critical of things we are unable to comprehend at the time of observation. One's chosen perspective of existence can be unconsciously restrictive. Star Trek has always been about "what if things were" or "how could things be"...better - in a world with strong desires to remain the same. One's imagination can serve to change their perspective and the world, but it can also be one's prison.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    ^ FYI the April announcement of "Date your starship" wasn't real ;)
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Feh, it's just one of many reasons to ignore Discovery.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    well, we already saw that the connection can be sabotaged. I'm in the "It's stupid" camp. if they wanted to show technological gain, break the warp 10 barrier, but having parts flying in formation is idiotic
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    ^ FYI the April announcement of "Date your starship" wasn't real ;)

I don't know... USS Melchiott can be a fierce fighter... and makes awesome cinnamon rolls. ;)
    if they wanted to show technological gain, break the warp 10 barrier, but having parts flying in formation is idiotic

They probably could, but the issue of Dilithium would come up. I mean they have Slipstream capability as well, but again resources.
    Its not enough to be able to DO something. They also have to visually look different. Otherwise... why design anything more than the basic NX class? If all the tech is super advanced on the inside... then why bother designing new ships in the first place?

Again its probably to make it visually distinct and advanced compared to what we've already seen from the 29th Century.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    They already did, the problem is that you turn into salamanders, so thats not a viable option.

That is probably whatever method Voyager tried to use that did it. The Voth Transwarp Drives don't have that problem. Its possible that 32nd Century Starfleet made something similar to that to achieve Transwarp speeds.
  • Options
    Transwarp isn't normal warp, its Transwarp. You can't go beyond Warp 10, but Transwarp is a whole different beast.

Yet we break the Warp 10 barrier on a regular basis in game, and it is classified as Transwarp. Honestly the way I see Warp speeds is that anything below 10 is like Subsonic and anything above 10 is Supersonic. No different than breaking the Sound Barrier. Its just faster.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    That is probably whatever method Voyager tried to use that did it. The Voth Transwarp Drives don't have that problem. Its possible that 32nd Century Starfleet made something similar to that to achieve Transwarp speeds.
    Transwarp isn't normal warp, its Transwarp. You can't go beyond Warp 10, but Transwarp is a whole different beast.

And yet as pointed out, we do it all the time - and I dunno about you, but none of my captains have turned into lizards. Well, one is a lizard, but he's a Gorn, that doesn't count.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    That is a gameplay mechanic. In Star trek canon transwarp is a whole different method of travel then normal warp.

The point remains though. Voth Transwarp seems to function differently from Borg Transwarp. And if we go back to Star Trek 3, the Excelsior was supposed to be able to outpace the Enterprise. So its possible that anything Warp 10 and above is considered Transwarp velocities. Again, just like how its possible to break the Sound Barrier today.
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    I know it's not canon, but STO has the Iconian/Herald ships with (seemingly) detached parts, I just thought Disco's future tech flows from that.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I imagine people that look at detached nacelles are like the first sailors that saw a steam powered ship. They probably asked “Where do you put the sails?”
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I imagine people that look at detached nacelles are like the first sailors that saw a steam powered ship. They probably asked “Where do you put the sails?”

That's a good point. Because based on everything we know, there still needs to be EPS Conduits feeding power to the nacelles. Which means that in the 32nd Century they must have figured out how to transfer power remotely from the warp core, or developed some other system.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2021

Except in Threshold, they used the term Transwarp, and used it multiple times so it clearly wasn't a production mistake.
    PARIS: Acknowledged. Engaging transwarp drive in four, three, two. Transwarp online. Warp nine point two, nine point three. My vector's drifting.
    KIM: The problem is, every time we simulate crossing the transwarp threshold, the nacelles get torn off the ship.
    JANEWAY: When you came to me a month ago and said you had a way to cross the transwarp threshold, I thought it was more of a fantasy than a theory. Congratulations to all of you.
    KIM: After that, we'll analyse the shuttle's sensor logs. Once we know it's safe to travel at transwarp, we'll try a more extended flight.
    TORRES: Okay. Torres to shuttlecraft Cochrane. You're clear for transwarp velocity.

[Shuttlecraft Cochrane]

PARIS: Acknowledged. Engaging transwarp drive in four, three, two
    PARIS [OC]: Transwarp engines are stable. So are the nacelle pylons. I'm going to
    TORRES: Then it's just a matter of navigation. If we could figure out how to come out of transwarp at a specific point, this could get us home.
    PARIS: You're lying. Just like him. Just like everyone around here. Always lying. Always telling me that I'm doing a good job, that you're glad I'm on this ship. But none of that's true. Why can't you just say it? You're jealous that I broke the transwarp barrier, and now you're hoping I'll die!
    KIM: I've lost them, Commander. They've gone to transwarp.
    (Janeway wakes up and experiences the wonder of transwarp travel for herself.)

First Officer's log, stardate 49373.4. It's taken us three days to locate the shuttle. It appears to have dropped out of transwarp in an uninhabited star system.
    JANEWAY: What makes you think it was your idea? Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating. But apology accepted, nonetheless. You may be interested to know I'm putting you in for a commendation. Regardless of the outcome, you did make the first transwarp flight.

that was every single instance the word transwarp was mentioned - clearly the Voyager scriptwriter for that episode considered warp and transwarp the same thing when they did it.

So what does this tell us? Well, it personally tells me that either A: The scriptwriter had absolutely no idea what they were doing (And given how the entire episode turned out, I'm going for this being the more likely option.) B: 'Transwarp' is just a catch-all term in-universe for any method of travel faster than the currently established warp scale, even if one of those faster methods is still technically plain warp.​​
    Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    That whole "break the warp ten barrier" thing is nonsense, and Threshold was was the kind of glaring error that the show usually backed away from and carefully ignored afterwards (like Paris's "you cannot turn in warp" nonsense that another episode depended on). Just take a look at the published equation that Roddenberry and Paramount all said is canon, warp factor ten is INFINITY. There is no speed faster than instantly being anywhere in the universe with literally no time spent in the transfer (it all takes place in the same chronon "tick".

The verbal description that was in the writers bible takes it into the twilight zone a bit by stating that not only CAN you be anywhere else in the universe at warp ten, but for that instant you ARE EVERYWHERE in the universe simultaneously when you hit warp ten.

Transwarp is much slower than warp ten, so is slipstream and everything else shown in the various series except maybe Q's teleport. The fact that it is so much faster than warp 9.975 and it all fits within the last 0.025 warp factor number is just the way the scale compresses at the top end. 9.976 is over 283 times faster than 9.975 and 9.977 is over 301 times faster and the difference just keeps getting bigger on a sharp upward curve as you keep going.
    crm14916 wrote: »
    @meimeitoo , you speak my kinda language, lol... Who and Trek in the same post? I like you already...

:wink:

Anyway, I agree with both posts. I do sincerely believe that most of what constitutes New Trek is completely producer driven. From dialogue, to characters, to effects...

However, I also think it's a way of showing a new technology, like Meimeitoo said...

Think about the TOS/TMP Enterprise and tell me you don't think the nacelle pylons wouldn't/shouldn't be a target for any enemy with brains...

Actually, they are not as much of a weakness as you might think. The only thing in those struts is a Jefferies tube like you see Scotty climbing up in occasionally and some pipes and conduits, the rest is all structural and armor. Jefferies himself said in interviews and whatnot that it would be harder to cut through those struts than slice off a section of the saucer. And it makes sense, think of a WWII tank battle, how likely is it that enemy fire would blow a hole in the tank's main gun barrel compared to blowing a hole in the turret the gun is mounted in?
  • Options
    Of course, Voyager was episodic, so they never mention "Threshold" again (gratefully, because Warp 10 is just a measure of speed, not a brick wall) but the ironic thing...they restored Paris and the Captain. Why not use Warp 10 to get back to the Alpha Quadrant and then stop the evolutionary process? Warp 10 worked, the repair job worked...so why? I'm grateful as to why, because if only they'd said Coaxial Warp, or anything other than creating a Warp barrier.
This discussion has been closed.