test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I was kind of hoping for a Nova, but that Detail thing was just for the Intrepid Pathfinder. Bummer☹
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Weird as it sounds, the lack of a good model for the Nova could be one of the things holding up a revamp since they would have to essentially start from scratch and it is several ship classes in one which would increase the amount of work. Of course, there is also an advantage in that scrapping the old moldy models entirely frees them up to get creative with the details of the STO-original classes while they are making the canon ones more screen-accurate.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Weird as it sounds, the lack of a good model for the Nova could be one of the things holding up a revamp since they would have to essentially start from scratch and it is several ship classes in one which would increase the amount of work. Of course, there is also an advantage in that scrapping the old moldy models entirely frees them up to get creative with the details of the STO-original classes while they are making the canon ones more screen-accurate.
    Only the canon models would get updated, the Cryptic designs will not. It is a little tricky though since there are TWO Canon models in need of an update, I wonder if they would do them both at the same time or if they would update the Nova for a normal T6 and then the Rhode Island for a Legendary release?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Only the canon models would get updated, the Cryptic designs will not. It is a little tricky though since there are TWO Canon models in need of an update, I wonder if they would do them both at the same time or if they would update the Nova for a normal T6 and then the Rhode Island for a Legendary release?

I don't know why they would do it differently for the Nova classes than they did with the other updated ones since those had all of the pieces updated, not just the canon ones. Such a move would definitely damage the draw of the class set because a lot of people like that kitbash ability.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I don't know why they would do it differently for the Nova classes than they did with the other updated ones since those had all of the pieces updated
    No, they did not. My favorite Constitution variant is Cryptic's Excalibur design and it looks EXACTLY the same as it did on launch day 11 years ago. It's the same with the Intrepid, the Sovereign, and every other ship that's had a remaster.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    No, they did not. My favorite Constitution variant is Cryptic's Excalibur design and it looks EXACTLY the same as it did on launch day 11 years ago. It's the same with the Intrepid, the Sovereign, and every other ship that's had a remaster.
    This. Pretty much all of the Cryptic original pieces for canon ships have gotten ZERO updates, even after their revamps. Its nearly always only the canonical textures that get updates.

*Edit*
    For examples

Miranda
    -ShiKahr
    Constitution
    -Excalibur
    -Vesper
    Galaxy
    -Celestial
    -Envoy
    -Monarch
    Akira
    -Oslo
    -Zephyr
    Defiant
    -Gallant
    -Vigilant
    Nebula
    -Magellan
    Intrepid
    -Cochrane
    -Discovery
    Sovereign
    -Majestic
    -Noble
    -Imperial

That does not seem to be the case for the Luna and the Reliant (both of which I have done things with in the customizer recently), the STO-original parts do not look any worse than the canon parts. And trying to replace just a few major sections of an assembly like that is a pain in the posterior, it is usually easier to just recreate the whole mess from scratch so it all lines and fits together up without kludges. Sure, the free custom parts are less fancy, but that is not the same thing.

They don't show the kind of blurring and distortion on the STO parts when a vanity shield or customizer material is applied that they would if they were still the old lower-res meshes and texture fitting maps the way that almost everything looks horrible on the Nova/Rhode Island mesh. They must have done at least some revamping of those parts or they would stick out as looking bad compared to the new canon sections.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter

This was apparently last week, yet I think most missed this perhaps.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options

I was still having some issues after that, I responded to his tweet with a picture but idk if he saw it. When I change a particular part it causes part of the ship to use a different hull material than the rest of the ship.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2021
    I checked today and it seemed to be fine, perhaps it went in today not last week?
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    I checked today and it seemed to be fine, perhaps it went it today not last week?
    Before last week's patch I couldn't customize it at all, I'll check it out again when I get home maybe they fixed the other issue today but didn't put it in the patch notes.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    I checked today and it seemed to be fine, perhaps it went it today not last week?
    Nope, still broken for me, if I change the stanchion option that whole part of the ship becomes a different color until I select a template and start over. Here's the picture I took last week of it:
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »

You can safely assume that if anything is posted only on Twitter, some of us have missed it.

That's why we are so angry about the forums being ignored.

(I for example - as I have said several times - am banned from Twitter.)

This.

I hate Twitter. It is therefore disappointing that the so-called 'Official Forum' has been all but abandoned in favor of using a page on a rubbish Social Media platform as their official feedback delivery method.

Which is why it's even more appreciated when someone sees the tweets (or reddit posts) and repost them here, so that more people can be aware of what's going on.
    The point, though, is that it shouldn't be necessary.

And seriously, what's the point of these forums anymore? No one, in any official capacity, ever says anything except for Kael "once in a blue moon" appearances (usually to basically berate someone for daring to *shocked gasp* express an opinion that is not "uwu love everything" on a topic Cryptic feels quite defensive about), and even corrections of the (hilariously high numbered) mistakes and errors of the news gets posted on Twitter.
    Post edited by jennycolvin on
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The point of forums is to provide a place for people that like to go to forums for the games they are mostly already playing.
    These people automatically talk about stuff that's mentioned on facebook, twitch, twitter and so on, because there is always someone that uses the forum and the other medium.
    The people playing the game actually don't need any of the announcements. Because they are right there in the game when the stuff releases and is advertised to them in-game. They rarely need to know about it a week early.

The stuff on twitter, facebook, twitch or youtube - that reaches people that don't visit the forums and wouldn't hear about it otherwise. People that might not be playing right now but might come back if there is something interesting to them.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    It is passing strange when devs opt to first roll out info anywhere else other than their own dedicated forum?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The point of forums is to provide a place for people that like to go to forums for the games they are mostly already playing.
    No one disputed the fact that "the point of forums is to provide a place for people" to talk, so why did you think this "explanation" was needed is beside me.
    Especially because the point was not "what are forums anyway?" but that an "official forum" with no official presence is not official in any way, shape or form.
    These people automatically talk about stuff that's mentioned on facebook, twitch, twitter and so on, because there is always someone that uses the forum and the other medium.
    The fact that people on these forums talk about stuff posted on social media does nothing to change that no one, in any official capacity, ever says anything here.
    The people playing the game actually don't need any of the announcements. Because they are right there in the game when the stuff releases and is advertised to them in-game. They rarely need to know about it a week early.
    Yeah sure, that's why they put stuff earlier in the launcher, ain't it? Because people playing the game don't need to know about releaseas a week early?
    This makes absolutely no sense.
    The stuff on twitter, facebook, twitch or youtube - that reaches people that don't visit the forums and wouldn't hear about it otherwise. People that might not be playing right now but might come back if there is something interesting to them.
    And? No one here is saying that nothing should get posted on social media. We're simply asking for stuff to get posted here, you know... on the "official forums", too. For the CM to actually do his job and answer to the players questions, suggestions, concrit, etc. here on these forums, too, instead of just going to whine on Twitter and being a grade-A sarcastic poster on Reddit.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    madmopar wrote: »
    I hate how they are playing the fly any ship thing off as anything but a way to force more people to gamble or sell keys.

are you one of those players that consider STO pay to win also. I'm not selling keys or gambling any more or less than i did before with flying all (most) ships.
  • Options
    foxman00 wrote: »

Imagine thinking writing this is the right thing to do, *especially* in regards to legendary ships.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    He's got a point though. Maybe not for legendary ships, but if you look at the regular C-Store and event ships, most of them do have one or more of the things he's mentioning.

Let's take for example the Narendra Support Cruiser.. it's a 4/4 (so not a 5/3) with a 7 turn rate (slightly below average for a cruiser), and only has 3 tac console slots. The BOFF slotting is a bit awkward. (Cmdr Eng/Temp, LtC Sci, Lt Tac, Ens Tac, LtC Uni... meaning you can't do a dual EP Aux2Bat build unless you don't want ANY other Eng or Temp abilities... and if you do, then you're forced to use the Uni as a second Eng, which limits your Tac abilities to below what most people prefer).

However its trait is well liked and it's a screen-canon ship (which carries a certain weight with certain people).

Meanwhile, the legendary version has a slightly improved turn rate (7.5) and a different BOFF layout (Cmdr Eng/Int, LtC Sci, Lt Tac, LtC Uni/Temp, Ens Uni) which opens up a lot more options by having two universals (converting the second tac to uni, and having two spec seats). But still a 4/4 3 tac console ship.

The point, though, is that he *is* talking about legendary ships, not "normal" ones.
    And it's even more ironic when the current situation was of their own doing, by pushing out content that only requires DPS to be completed which means, of course, that people wants ships that can keep up.
    Does that mean that ships that don't have ALL that he mentioned are not good enough to play the content? No.
    But it also doesn't take into account that while a very vocal minority advocated for change because anything that wasn't simply spamming spacebar was "too hard", it wasn't the playerbase that made the changes that reduced the game to a mere power creep. As usual though, instead of facing the real problem, he tried to pin this on us.

While I do agree that not every ship should be on a legendary level - of course they shouldn't! - there also need to be some sort of balance in what they push out: sure, people will go for event ships because of FOMO, but if you put something a little spicy in there, then they are even more encouraged to do so.
    Same goes for C-Store ships, especially considering that those you have to pay for, instead of just doing an event for a short number of days.

With that in mind, when you expect people to give you quite a bit of money for ships that are called "legendary"... well, they should be truly legendary.
    And if that means that many people will go around with proper powerhouses... well, we didn't ask for legendary ships, did we? So they cannot now go around and try to make us feel guilty for wanting our money's worth.

As for me personally, the tweet I quoted sounds increndibly patronizing and completely out of boundaries: telling people that their choices are not worthwile unless "you have to think about it" and are willing to "accept some risk"? He has no right to go around telling people what they should and shouldn't do to have fun - except for game rules, of course. But even then, he's not the one making them, so...

They've been trying to force us to play the game how THEY want us to play for way too long and his tone deaf messages does nothing but aggravate people every single time.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    He's got a point though. Maybe not for legendary ships, but if you look at the regular C-Store and event ships, most of them do have one or more of the things he's mentioning.

Let's take for example the Narendra Support Cruiser.. it's a 4/4 (so not a 5/3) with a 7 turn rate (slightly below average for a cruiser), and only has 3 tac console slots. The BOFF slotting is a bit awkward. (Cmdr Eng/Temp, LtC Sci, Lt Tac, Ens Tac, LtC Uni... meaning you can't do a dual EP Aux2Bat build unless you don't want ANY other Eng or Temp abilities... and if you do, then you're forced to use the Uni as a second Eng, which limits your Tac abilities to below what most people prefer).

However its trait is well liked and it's a screen-canon ship (which carries a certain weight with certain people).

Meanwhile, the legendary version has a slightly improved turn rate (7.5) and a different BOFF layout (Cmdr Eng/Int, LtC Sci, Lt Tac, LtC Uni/Temp, Ens Uni) which opens up a lot more options by having two universals (converting the second tac to uni, and having two spec seats). But still a 4/4 3 tac console ship.

The point, though, is that he *is* talking about legendary ships, not "normal" ones.
    And it's even more ironic when the current situation was of their own doing, by pushing out content that only requires DPS to be completed which means, of course, that people wants ships that can keep up.
    Does that mean that ships that don't have ALL that he mentioned are not good enough to play the content? No.
    But it also doesn't take into account that while a very vocal minority advocated for change because anything that wasn't simply spamming spacebar was "too hard", it wasn't the playerbase that made the changes that reduced the game to a mere power creep. As usual though, instead of facing the real problem, he tried to pin this on us.

While I do agree that not every ship should be on a legendary level - of course they shouldn't! - there also need to be some sort of balance in what they push out: sure, people will go for event ships because of FOMO, but if you put something a little spicy in there, then they are even more encouraged to do so.
    Same goes for C-Store ships, especially considering that those you have to pay for, instead of just doing an event for a short number of days.

With that in mind, when you expect people to give you quite a bit of money for ships that are called "legendary"... well, they should be truly legendary.
    And if that means that many people will go around with proper powerhouses... well, we didn't ask for legendary ships, did we? So they cannot now go around and try to make us feel guilty for wanting our money's worth.

As for me personally, the tweet I quoted sounds increndibly patronizing and completely out of boundaries: telling people that their choices are not worthwile unless "you have to think about it" and are willing to "accept some risk"? He has no right to go around telling people what they should and shouldn't do to have fun - except for game rules, of course. But even then, he's not the one making them, so...

They've been trying to force us to play the game how THEY want us to play for way too long and his tone deaf messages does nothing but aggravate people every single time.

I basically wanted to say all this, but you did it for me.. so thanks! :smile:

Ultimately, Jenny is right, the state of the game is not the players doing, it's the developers. So when ships 'fall short' based on what the game demands (kill things as fast as you can) it's not the players fault when they respond negatively to those releases. Creating 'varied' ships in a game where the play style is static is not going to get the results the developers want. It's fine to make a ship that can't use X power, if there are alternative powers to use instead, but there usually aren't so all you have is a ship that doesn't do what most players need it to do. That's a game design issue, not a player issue.

As always, they are shoving a square peg in a round hole. They are supplying the peg and the hole, but making it the fault of the player base that it doesn't fit.
    Insert witty signature line here.