test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Incentive PVP

Comments

• vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I think my idea perfectly protects space barbies from meeting veterans and all kind of pvp. Just stick to your pve versions.

The only thing that might require a bit more work is the shared zone version of the patrols, because many scenarios do not make sense if both factions are there, so these events/scenarios might need to be reworked, just a simple spawn of waves of some common enemy will do.

btw someone mentioned the game is balanced only for pve. I entirely disagree with that statement. There is no such thing as meaningful end game pve, and abilities are not balanced, they are just random collection of artistic interpretations of what is in the movies.

Just 1 example - beam overload is about 1/3 more damage (un traited!!!) than surgical strikes III even though BO is a basic easy slot and ss requires very rare intel slot. Not that any of this is needed, you can easily beat the content with your freebie mk XII pinks. Doing episodes with your space barbie is not demanding at all, it is just granted.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well...I HAD hope for a civil discussion... But its again turning into "can't stand the heat, get out of the oven" responses...
    *sigh*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    vanhyo wrote: »
    I see pvp is terrifying you, if you are afraid by wolves don't go to the woods. But there are those who like to do pvp.

if you are so damn hard up for PvP go play Eve, and stop trying to convince the playerbase that STO-EVE online is a good thing.. it ISN'T.
    Spock.jpg

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    No amount of "get good" will fix a build that can't survive an alphastrike, and the suggestions I've seen to do so either don't work or are ridiculously expensive.
    Just check the discovery arc rep items and store consoles, add tactical protomatter from colony combined with Hull Image Refractors and congratz, now you have 200~250 hull points, 100~200k temporal hit points and maybe 20~30k shields on top on respectable resists stack, swap mostly defensive traits (the cheap ones are ok) and set temporal spec as main so you may get a "free zahl", get reverse shield polarity III and the doff that extends it, on a aux to batt build. That is 30 seconds of complete immunity every minute. Add some beam overloads or Concentrate firepower III, on your free fleet ship for some lol damage.

Wait, i forgot the dyson rep shield... yep the one that denies alpha strike.

Now u r a very resilient little freebie that can do a punch. Congratz on getting good for cheap.

so now you not only want to force PvP on people but now force them to join a fleet? Hard pass
    Spock.jpg

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I think my idea perfectly protects space barbies from meeting veterans and all kind of pvp. Just stick to your pve versions.

The only thing that might require a bit more work is the shared zone version of the patrols, because many scenarios do not make sense if both factions are there, so these events/scenarios might need to be reworked, just a simple spawn of waves of some common enemy will do.

btw someone mentioned the game is balanced only for pve. I entirely disagree with that statement. There is no such thing as meaningful end game pve, and abilities are not balanced, they are just random collection of artistic interpretations of what is in the movies.

Just 1 example - beam overload is about 1/3 more damage (un traited!!!) than surgical strikes III even though BO is a basic easy slot and ss requires very rare intel slot. Not that any of this is needed, you can easily beat the content with your freebie mk XII pinks. Doing episodes with your space barbie is not demanding at all, it is just granted.

I think the point you miss is that there is no NEED to protect space barbies because any solution that FORCES that player group to PvP is the wrong SOLUTION. it has to be voluntary, or you will lose 4x the players that spend 10x real money on the game than if all PvPers quit. and if you think the space barbies don't spend a lot, most have EVRY uniform, most EVERY ship, and a good percentage of the Lobi store content. your average PVPer doesn't because they know that the 2 console cruiser wasn't worthwhile for PvP. but I own one because I like the way it looks. the simple fact is PvP will never generate more money that PVE, and if you fore PVP on everyone they you will lose a good quarter of the playerbase. if you doubt me, start a new thread with a poll with this question: If you HAD to PvP to play STO, would you leave the game? I'm saying 25% my gut says more like 30-40% would say they would leave.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Count me in as someone who would leave if I had to PvP to play this game. I also know at least one other who would leave as well if it turned into a PvP-fest just to play the game.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • taris10005#5669 taris10005 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I see pvp is terrifying you, if you are afraid by wolves don't go to the woods. But there are those who like to do pvp.

if you are so damn hard up for PvP go play Eve, and stop trying to convince the playerbase that STO-EVE online is a good thing.. it ISN'T.

Eve Online is the online equivalent to waiting for a bus.
    Eve Online is the online equivalent to waiting for a bus.

Also can be a gankfest in certain sectors, and I heard about an incident years ago where someone managed to build the most expensive, biggest ship in game, only to have it destroyed in like five minutes because there was an armada waiting for him to launch.

Also EVE is the only game I know of where people lose real world money when their ships are destroyed. There are news stories of epic battles that cost millions of real world dollars in terms of destroyed ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well...I HAD hope for a civil discussion... But its again turning into "can't stand the heat, get out of the oven" responses...
    *sigh*

Well, i tried my best. Maybe i should have edited my first post because people tent to read it and ignore the rest of the discussion were i quickly agreed that forcing pvp on everyone is bad concept and offered solution were pvp option is directed only for the pvp players, and pve players get their own private identical mirror version so everyone is happy.

I think patrol missions have great undeveloped potential that can be achieved with very little effort, i am not deluding myself into thinking that the devs are suddenly going to listen to some random post but atleast i hoped for good conversation instead of inflaming and quarrels. In my opinion it is relaxing to travel from system to system and shooting the spawning waves, that sort of gameplay offers great replayability without intensity, so you can just relax, run an audiobook, or a lecture or some debate on the background. Not sure though if i want to be doing this just for the sports if it is missing a meaningful reward compered to other modes of playing.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    ... I heard about an incident years ago where someone managed to build the most expensive, biggest ship in game, only to have it destroyed in like five minutes because there was an armada waiting for him to launch.
    Yeah, my roommate used to play EvE, and he was laughing his butt off at that. Apparently this dude built the most powerful dreadnought possible, and he and his fleetmates were going to attack an enemy fleet's base. Except there are two ways to FTL in that game, jumping (in which you go to your destination) and bridging (in which you make an FTL bridge and everybody goes at once). He accidentally jumped instead of bridging. So it was just him and the enemy fleet, and as word spread more fleets bridged in to join one side or the other. The ships in that game can be purchased with cash money or with in-game currency that also has a cash-money value; the ensuing battle lasted for two days, and the cost ran into the millions.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    @westmetals
    Has not been my experience AT ALL WHATSOEVER, as I have mentioned several times. I literally have not been able to kill anyone in PVP in years... but that's because I keep getting vaped every time I'm in PVP and never have a chance to even fire the latter part of my weapon cycle. In my most successful attempt, I hit "fire all" first - no BOFF abilities, no engines, NOTHING.... (on a cannon build Defiant) and not even all of the forward cannons fired before I died.

If you are interested, i could try to help you improve your build so next time universal endevour asks you to join a pvp match, it is not as one sided.
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Just some thoughts:

Have tier system based on play types: Casual, Advanced, Elites

Tier 1 Base+cstore, with base stats, no special consoles.

Tier 2 Base+c-store ships, with fixed access to special consoles; all consoles are automatically available to all players regardless if purchased.

Tier 3 Unlimited ship+console use; all lockbox purchased ships and equipment, capable of instavape/hypertank builds etc.

Participants of x# of PVP matches get to refine 2k extra dilithium+1 lockbox key. Also award special pvp specific consoles for x# of prestige/pvp points.

Have special ship build window for comparing/contrasting build stats.
    If you are interested, i could try to help you improve your build so next time universal endevour asks you to join a pvp match, it is not as one sided.

Um... you do know you're talking to a guy who WROTE A GUIDE ON SHIP BUILDS that is referenced by others? He even said he got directed to HIS OWN GUIDE when he got slammed for not winning a PvP match.
    edited August 2020

Um... you do know you're talking to a guy who WROTE A GUIDE ON SHIP BUILDS that is referenced by others? He even said he got directed to HIS OWN GUIDE when he got slammed for not winning a PvP match.

Apparently i don't, but that sounds like a fun story.

Any links to his guides ? Its interesting to me what he is up to, maybe i can learn something instead.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Then I got picked on (via PMs) by one of the people on my OWN team for half an hour afterward because, supposedly, I caused us to lose by having a "trash rainbow" build and needed to "learn shipbuilding"... which they then proceeded to spam me with links to shipbuilding guides (that I was already in compliance with and one of which I wrote).

Back on page 2 (if you're using the default settings on the forum) west mentioned it.

As for a link... I'll let others provide it.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    As a non-PVP player I figured I would add my 2¢.

This game has gone on for 10 years, and a look at the Zen store shows you that you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on this game.

That means that there are going to be tons of players who not only are incredibly far ahead of me in both experience and resources, but that no matter how long I play the game I will NEVER be able to compete with them, unless they were to drop out of the game for years while I grinded hard to catch up. That means that any PVP against such players is pointless and only serves to stroke the ego of the player who has devoted way more time and money to the game.

My playstyle is casual. I have lots of characters and flit from one to another regularly. I don't grind hard to develop any one character and as a result most of my characters are basically competent for things like PvE and story missions but are not stellar in any way. I still think a purple MK XII piece of gear is very good. I have not maxed reputation on any of my characters. And I am happy playing the game this way. It is fun or me. If I was grinding too much I would get sick of the game and drop out. But that means I will fall even farther behind the super-optimizers by playing my kind of game.

I appreciate the players that pay tons of money in this game as they support the company and that means the game can continue to develop. But I am not going to log in and do something that is no fun for me just so they can feel good about how awesome their build is. Which is why I do not do PvP.

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Then I got picked on (via PMs) by one of the people on my OWN team for half an hour afterward because, supposedly, I caused us to lose by having a "trash rainbow" build and needed to "learn shipbuilding"... which they then proceeded to spam me with links to shipbuilding guides (that I was already in compliance with and one of which I wrote).

@westmetals , every time you reply to a request for advice in the Academy or Shipyard sections of the forum and give your usual exacting and in depth answers I learn something. Everything from your skill trees to ship builds are spot on to me ^^

@coldnapalm , the same would apply to you, such as your innovative approach to building some of the free Tier 5 ships starting with an A2B build before you even have the doffs, allowing players who've just earned these ships to easily and economically do advanced content while spending some time at the B'tran Cluster doffing for purple Technicians.

Perhaps one particular poster in this thread would be willing to take the time to write up a few builds suitable for PvP in the shipyard for players to review with the same knowledge, excellence, and care you guys do?
This discussion has been closed.