test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$ Solution to STO's Monetary/Currency Problem: Decimation $

The biggest problem with STO for quite some time now has been the increasingly inappropriate bank and exchange currency limits.

STO's game economy has grown over the last 7 years and what seemed at the start to be a large sum of EC is not quite so substantial in the game today.

There are two possible solutions: either raise the bank and exchange limits, or decrease the amount of currency in circulation.

I am told by people knowledgeable about computer programming that there are limits to the size of numbers that a computer can handle. This makes raising the currency caps a short-term solution at best. I would be happy to see them doubled to 2b personal bank. 1b account bank, and 1.5b exchange limit, but it could only ever be a temporary solution.

--

A better and more long lasting, but perhaps more difficult to implement solution would be Decimation.

The developers could decimate the currency, dividing all ec in the game - whether in personal, fleet or account banks - by ten.

It would of course also be necessary to divide all ec rewards in the game, without any exceptions, by ten.

This would have the effect of increasing all the currency caps by a factor of ten, without changing the value of any item or of currency itself.

100m in today's ec would become 10m. 1b would become 100m, and 10b would become 1b. It would finally mean something to be a space billionaire.

A lockbox key would cost 500k, a lockbox ship would cost 30m, a promo ship would cost 150m.

The gruelling quality of life problems caused by the low currency caps would be eliminated completely. A new day would dawn.

Please support beneficial change and lend your valuable voice to the cause of quality-of-life for the player! Please support either raising the caps or decimating the currency!
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    The biggest problem with STO for quite some time now has been the increasingly inappropriate bank and exchange currency limits.

STO's game economy has grown over the last 7 years and what seemed at the start to be a large sum of EC is not quite so substantial in the game today.

There are two possible solutions: either raise the bank and exchange limits, or decrease the amount of currency in circulation.

I am told by people knowledgeable about computer programming that there are limits to the size of numbers that a computer can handle. This makes raising the currency caps a short-term solution at best. I would be happy to see them doubled to 2b personal bank. 1b account bank, and 1.5b exchange limit, but it could only ever be a temporary solution.

--

A better and more long lasting, but perhaps more difficult to implement solution would be Decimation.

The developers could decimate the currency, dividing all ec in the game - whether in personal, fleet or account banks - by ten.

It would of course also be necessary to divide all ec rewards in the game, without any exceptions, by ten.

This would have the effect of increasing all the currency caps by a factor of ten, without changing the value of any item or of currency itself.

100m in today's ec would become 10m. 1b would become 100m, and 10b would become 1b. It would finally mean something to be a space billionaire.

A lockbox key would cost 500k, a lockbox ship would cost 30m, a promo ship would cost 150m.

The gruelling quality of life problems caused by the low currency caps would be eliminated completely. A new day would dawn.

Please support beneficial change and lend your valuable voice to the cause of quality-of-life for the player! Please support either raising the caps or decimating the currency!

I honestly don't know why there is a cap on the exchange at all. It will still be a cap that the playerbase is willing to pay for an item so why not make it unlimited?
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

--

I honestly don't know why there is a cap on the exchange at all. It will still be a cap that the playerbase is willing to pay for an item so why not make it unlimited?

If the exchange cap were the same as the EC cap, you'd need to empty your character of every single ec in order to receive what you were due from selling an item for 1b.

I mean that there shouldn't be a cap on that amount of ec that you can have nor the amount of ec that can be charged on the exchange for an item. The price would still be subject to supply and demand.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you can't have unlimited ANYTHING in computer code; that's why caps exist in the first place - because going over them makes the engine s.hit itself and crash​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Oddly enough I agree with your concept. There actually is too much EC floating around the STO economy.

However, I cannot agree with effectively stealing 90% of players' wealth. This would create much discord among players who would feel they were robbed by the developers of their hard-earned currency.

There needs to be a way to remove EC from the economy without arbitrarily taking it away.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Modern compilers can handle 64-bit numbers even in a 32-bit application, which means you could have 18 quindrillion EC; the database should be able to handle the numbers as well using the Decimal (65 digits) type--although that might not be what they're using. I suspect the caps are for economics reasons, not computational reasons.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I am told by people knowledgeable about computer programming that there are limits to the size of numbers that a computer can handle.

A signed 32-bit integer should support a number up to 2 billion (2^31). Since you can't have negative EC (that I know of) there's no reason the game shouldn't be able to allow a full 4 billion (2^32). And endlessly more when 64-bit is used.

Loving the elegance of that idea! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Oddly enough I agree with your concept. There actually is too much EC floating around the STO economy.

However, I cannot agree with effectively stealing 90% of players' wealth. This would create much discord among players who would feel they were robbed by the developers of their hard-earned currency.

There needs to be a way to remove EC from the economy without arbitrarily taking it away.

Read the post again maybe?

Decimation would not change anyone's wealth. 1m ec would become 100k, an item worth 1m would become worth 100k. An item that vendored for 30k would vendor for 3k.

All the ec in the game would need to be decimated at the same time, and all ec rewards also decimated.

Consider it another way. If all the ec was divided by 1,000, and then the letters "ec" changed to "kec" for "thousand ec," no one would gain or lose any wealth would they?

100,000 ec (100k ec) would be changed to 100 kec.

I read it. No need to for the condescending tone. I understand that the actual value of EC would remain (assuming that in-game prices/fees were also reduced accordingly). I was , however, referring to the perception that players would no doubt have of being robbed by the developers.

The massive amount of currency floating around isn't the real problem, it's merely a symptom of the real issue, which is there is not enough things to spend money on (aside from the Exchange, which would not remove EC from the economy only redistribute it to other players). Sadly this issue has been around for quite a while, and has only gotten worse with Admirality and other means of aquiring EC with little effort.
  • Options
    ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    While I agree with the concept, surprisingly considering who it's coming from, the main issue with it is what Orion mentioned. The perceived "loss" would cause outrage with the player community at large. Like you said there wouldn't be any actual loss, but for players to suddenly log in and see they have "less" would start a wildfire of complaints. Players already don't read patch notes, or notices in the launcher, or really anything in game that notes a change because after every major patch that changes things general chat is full of "why is this different?!?!?!" comments when they log in and something's not the same regardless of the fact it's noted in a link in multiple places they have to look at when logging in. You can't change those players and doing the whole "decimation" deal would cause more trouble than it fixes regardless of if it's something that would help the game out in terms of currency inflation.

Adding more EC sinks is really the only solution that wouldn't have horrible backlashes of players claiming the devs "stole" currency from them. Raising the caps to something higher like 50 billion wouldn't be a bad thing, as it would then put everything within range of selling on the exchange itself, but pulling more EC out of the system would have the same effect. It would just have to be something that everyone uses and more active players use more than less active so the people who have the piles of EC across multiple alts have to actually spend more of it to cause the system to bleed out the excess and have the intended effect you're going for. It's not really an easy problem to solve, and raising the caps is a band-aid solution to it, but it might be the best one to give the devs some time to come up with a few decent sinks.
  • Options

Decimation would not change anyone's wealth. 1m ec would become 100k, an item worth 1m would become worth 100k. An item that vendored for 30k would vendor for 3k.

All the ec in the game would need to be decimated at the same time, and all ec rewards also decimated.

Consider it another way. If all the ec was divided by 1,000, and then the letters "ec" changed to "kec" for "thousand ec," no one would gain or lose any wealth would they?

I read it. No need to for the condescending tone. I understand that the actual value of EC would remain (assuming that in-game prices/fees were also reduced accordingly). I was , however, referring to the perception that players would no doubt have of being robbed by the developers.

The massive amount of currency floating around isn't the real problem, it's merely a symptom of the real issue, which is there is not enough things to spend money on (aside from the Exchange, which would not remove EC from the economy only redistribute it to other players). Sadly this issue has been around for quite a while, and has only gotten worse with Admirality and other means of aquiring EC with little effort.

Education is the silver bullet. Once people have it explained to them anyone can understand it.

I have my doubts about that. There are always people so obstinate that you could sit them down and explain your idea in painful detail and they would still not understand the concept.

Regardless, reducing the values won't solve the underlaying issue, eventually players would hit the cap again. Even at your suggested reduced values.

The only real 'fix' would be to implement more credit sinks to remove the money from the game.

Shrinking it will only buy time until it becomes a problem again.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Well, either divide all EC values in the game by 10 as suggested, or multiply all EC caps with 10. Either way I'm tired of using Master Keys as replacement currency. It makes it much harder to keep informed about those prices. Something must be done now.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Increase the cap and prices will continue to rise to meet it.

Decimation wont alter much either, the space rich will still be rich.

Both options will just push more players towards the gold sellers.

What Cryptic really needs to do is grow a set and go after the causes of the problem.
    We have gold sellers, their farming bots and players selling them EC for real cash, Cryptic needs to identify and track all of these accounts, then one day during maintenance blanket ban the lot of them.

Then there's the price gouging on the exchange, every item in game should have an EC value and the exchange set so that nothing can be put on for higher than it's EC value.

Both will remove a vast amount of EC from the game, but none of the suggestions in this thread will happen, why? because Cryptic are spineless and too scared to change anything that might hurt them financially.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    This just won't work because MMO's follow completely different currency rules than a government that borrows (because very few actually make it) money.

I've studied it a bit--certainly not enough to become an expert. It tended to take on studying it as a part of monetary reform. However, in my studies of MMO economics, a currency devalue has to come from any means other than saying "10 EC from then is now worth 1 EC." That simply will not work, because we're constantly creating new money to the money supply. It's always being created for any reason you wish.

What you're offering is, at best, a stopgap measure. Make a "Phonics Box" event involving EC and watch every other price fall.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    haha you wish lol...

Cryptic loves shortcuts. If they ever think the amounts of EC is too much, they will just put everything on binds on pickup and delete all EC lol... just look at NW, keys are bound to acc and gold coins are useless.

Exit this thread and just forget about this problem.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Removing caps would mean that the overpriced stuff now would end up being one of those commodities thats never used just traded between those that can.

Likewise dividing everything by 10 would simply keep the status quo and unless it became an annual event the prices would climb back up due to the buying power that those who are ec rich and play the exchange would still command.

A phoenix box style thing would potentially have the same impact BUT it would have to contain sufficient account bound things that were enticing enough for the ec rich to blow their cash on them.

Pulling a neverwinter and making keys account bound would have a bigger impact (or make them only tradable via the exchange) as for the choicest items bartering keys seems to have taken over.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    So the Op has a problem with fake currency and wishes to deflate it once decimal point or two and leave it as is, which really doesn't change anything.

What's the point. If something was 385,000,000 credits on the market and you drop it down to say 385,000cr, and also drop our currency to match, you've changed NOTHING. Still just has hard to hit that 385,000 mark as it is 385,000,000.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I avoid the numbers problem by going shopping. :::grins::::
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If the exchange cap were the same as the EC cap, you'd need to empty your character of every single ec in order to receive what you were due from selling an item for 1b.
    Which is different from having to empty your character of every single EC in order to receive what you were due from selling two items for 500m, how?

or

Which is different from having to empty your character of every single EC in order to receive what you were due from selling an item for 1b in Trade, how?
    you can't have unlimited ANYTHING in computer code; that's why caps exist in the first place - because going over them makes the engine s.hit itself and crash​​
    That's true, but only in the most literal sense. With computer memory measured in gigabytes, you certainly could have numbers high enough no MMO player could ever reach in a million years...if they wanted to set it up like that.

Even simply using a 64-bit variable would allow them to raise the cap to 18 billion times the current one.
    It would take a really, really long time for it to inflate up that high. And if it did, you could decimate it again. You could decimate it any time.
    No, you couldn't. The cheapest items are already priced at 20 EC, and vendor for as little as 8 EC at 40%. That would already have to be rounded up to 1 with a single decimation. There aren't extra zeroes to cut off.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Romulans, being modeled after Rome, believe in the historical meaning of the word decimate - remove only one in ten, not nine in ten. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Wouldn't that simply make the whales even richer since they would be able to store more money on the bank, and practically do nothing to everyone else?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options

Education is the silver bullet. Once people have it explained to them anyone can understand it.

I have my doubts about that. There are always people so obstinate that you could sit them down and explain your idea in painful detail and they would still not understand the concept.

Regardless, reducing the values won't solve the underlaying issue, eventually players would hit the cap again. Even at your suggested reduced values.

The only real 'fix' would be to implement more credit sinks to remove the money from the game.

Shrinking it will only buy time until it becomes a problem again.

It would take a really, really long time for it to inflate up that high. And if it did, you could decimate it again. You could decimate it any time.

Actually this would be a worse problem, because you can't decimate the economy indefinately. Eventually, the dirt cheap items like hypos would be 1 EC, at which point you cannot decrease the prices any more without inflating the price of low end items. Not to mention that if/when players hit the cap again, the amount of wealth owned by the players would be absurd.

This would only postpone the problem while simultaneously making it worse for when it finally crops up again.

Which brings me back to adding more items/services to the game which require EC (ie. credit sinks), which would remove this excess wealth without the need to tamper with the credit caps or credit values.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle you druk, at least you're coming up with ideas (some of which are rather clever), but this one won't work in the long run.