test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Already Dead on PS4

Comments

• byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Well, I can't say the faction swap bug helped matters, we lost alot of players because noone could do anything nor even go to their respective social hubs. But, that said, there's still a decent community left in the wake of that, even if we can't dress in anything but our uniforms for the time being.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Well, of course it is.
    It's not on PC, thus... it sucks. :P
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • kingdiamond42#5789 kingdiamond42 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I always see people everywhere on ps4. No matter what time. By the time most Americans are asleep Europeans are getting on in the morning. I always get into pve quickly, although I don't do them a lot.

neoakiraii has an awesome sig.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,767 Arc User
    Mmmmmm delicious doom. Goes good with bacon.
  • hellcatx805#4438 hellcatx805 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    As a PS4 player I'm getting really tired of the whiny threads console players are posting. Sure there are a few bugs but my god people it is not the end of the world. As a long time player of both DCUO and Elder Scrolls online I can tell you this game is in no way worse then either one of those games. And it is less buggy then The Elder Scrolls for sure.
    As for the population, OP you have no idea what you are talking about. Event queue's pop quick, all areas are populated and deep space encounters are always full of people. Maybe you should stop whining and go play something else.
  • hellcatx805#4438 hellcatx805 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    And before someone jumps in about bugged missions etc etc I have leveled 3 characters to 60 and have finished all the story line missions with very little problems.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    You know... I miss our old DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM thread where we just made fun of DOOM threads.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Latveria doesn't allow for console games to be sold within its borders.

;)
    It's not that they're not allowed, it's that they're pointless. Every Latverian citizen is issued a computer made with 20 year old Doomtech, which means they're about 130 years ahead of the current consumer state of the art.​​
    Yes, but, since they're all made by Voctor von Doom, they're evil and exist as a way to watch you at all times.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    Latveria doesn't allow for console games to be sold within its borders.

;)
    It's not that they're not allowed, it's that they're pointless. Every Latverian citizen is issued a computer made with 20 year old Doomtech, which means they're about 130 years ahead of the current consumer state of the art.​​
    Yes, but, since they're all made by Voctor von Doom, they're evil and exist as a way to watch you at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FG4uG_U_Ns
    But we must beware of Dr. Doom's Doom Ray of Doom!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    It really has been too long since we had a doom thread quite this doomed. Today is a good day.
    Unfortunately... we're not allowed to have our fun DOOOOOM thread anymore. :'(
    I miss making fun of DOOOOOOOOM...
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Member Doom thread.

I member

Member T5 connie thread again

Oh I member that

Member make Galaxy Class better threads

I member

Member branflakes

Hey, Hey, Hey, Member when there weren't so many Bajorans

Ohh I member

Member when we were safe from JJverse ship threads

GwaoHAD.png
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    The console population is relatively healthy right now. The reason the game doesn't front page on the stores is because its a very niche MMO, and will most likely only really keep the trekkies as steady players.

Realise that the console release is already beginning to top over what PC has made since the game went F2P in terms of income - the whales are really that big.

The future of MMO gaming is on console, and more dev houses are beginning to realise this. On console, a micropayment market works very, very effectively, and is a goldmine in terms of casual whales. There are people I know of who have already bought the LTS for the $200 then played for 3 or 4 weeks and quit.

To get a decent idea of the population, go to sector space in the beta quadrant, and count the number of running instances, each of which can hold 40 players. The average just for people in sector space in the Beta Quadrant alone on XBox is around 25 instances, and that is most hours of the day, not just at peak US times. Thats 1000 players right there. If you then add up all the Qo'Nos, ESD, and New Romulus instances, you probably have another 300-400 players. Then you have everyone thats in system in a quest. I suggest you round that to about 600 people. Then add the Alpha and Delta Quadrant players - another 300-400 players.

So, average population on XBox I would suggest is about 2,500 players, which isn't bad going for a relatively new Niche game on console. I would probably reckon PS4 is running slightly more than that.

Console is very healthy, bringing Cryptic and PWE a HUGE amount of money, and has a long life ahead of it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they start to concentrate more on console than PC as thats where the future of their little gaming empire is.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm no PC Master Race player, I can't stand playing on PC because that means kowtowing to Microsoft and... feck Microsoft. But we won't really know the health of the console releases till around Christmas when we get more than a month under it's belt and the holiday season releases roll around. For now, though, it's holding it's own and that's good enough to say it's not quite dead yet.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately... we're not allowed to have our fun DOOOOOM thread anymore. :'(
    I miss making fun of DOOOOOOOOM...

I miss it too. A little DOOOOOOOOOOM every day was...nice. :)

STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Goes online at the most dead time of the day, when most people are ASLEEP and proclaims the game is dead?

DAti6Gy.jpg
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Goes online at the most dead time of the day, when most people are ASLEEP and proclaims the game is dead?

DAti6Gy.jpg

Really? It's only available to countries that all sleep at the same time?
    No, but there is a notable overlap between these countries typical sleep time and work hours. When I start working at my work place in Germany, it seems most Americans are still sleeping, and once I leave the office, the last of them are probably starting their work day. Since the game isn't available in important parts of the Asian continent, and Australie is pretty sparsely populated, that means that American sleep time is also overall the time where the least people can play.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

DAti6Gy.jpg

No, but there is a notable overlap between these countries typical sleep time and work hours. When I start working at my work place in Germany, it seems most Americans are still sleeping, and once I leave the office, the last of them are probably starting their work day. Since the game isn't available in important parts of the Asian continent, and Australie is pretty sparsely populated, that means that American sleep time is also overall the time where the least people can play.

Indeed, but not enough to be as dead as the OP is stating, just another doom thread.
    I know that after 6 years of reading doom threads about the PC version of the game based on anecdotal observations of random people on the internet I am not going to give PS4 (or X-Box) doom thread any more credence.

But nitpicking is always fun.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2016

DAti6Gy.jpg

Indeed, but not enough to be as dead as the OP is stating, just another doom thread.

The OP is saying 4 instances in a single location, which still isn't specified. That's not exactly dead - by PC standards at off peak times like that, that's typical for sector space, high for battle/adventure zones, and low for ESD. He's talking about a small number of players, but those are all in ONE of those types of maps, not all the others, not in any mission, not in queues, etc etc.

Not being on the front page of the store is expected - games don't stay there for long unless they're paying for position (which has serious diminishing returns the longer the game is there) or maintaining very high download rates (which even a healthy and popular game will get buried by new games once it's been out long enough to establish a player base).
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm no PC Master Race player, I can't stand playing on PC because that means kowtowing to Microsoft and... feck Microsoft.

You know there are other operating systems like Linux right? Its just that Windows is the most common for PC.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I noticed STO isn't even listed anymore on the front page of the PS store so I went I to the game to see how the population is looking. Only four full instances running with 30 people each. Basically less than 200 people on period. Yikes. After launch there were a decent amount of full instances running.
    I guess that's what happens when you bring an old game to console players that's buggy as hell and take over a month to fix a fraction of what was broken.
    Anyway, the reticle is planted dead center on the back of my chars head which is annoying enough for me to shelf the game yet again. I'll pop in again when doffing is added, that is if it will be before the game straight up sunsets due to lack of revenue.

I cant possibly roll my eyes hard enough after reading this
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's dead on ps4 because I'm not there. ;-)
    Tza0PEl.png
  • panzerbjorne39#1071 panzerbjorne39 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Sooooo dead. Guys, how many of you that have posted your memes and snarky comments here are even playing on PS4? Like, none? I'm shocked.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    Sooooo dead. Guys, how many of you that have posted your memes and snarky comments here are even playing on PS4? Like, none? I'm shocked.

Probably, but we've had 6 years of doomsayers on PC, many making the same argument of "it was empty when I looked," all of them have been proven wrong. So we have more experience and the wisdom to ignore you :)

https://youtu.be/Jdf5EXo6I68

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    kjfett wrote: »
    Op logs in on a random Thursday, in the middle of the night, during the school year, and proclaims the game is already dead.

I suppose in the 18-23 year old, jobless, not in college, high on Dew and Doritos, category maybe.

The rest of us have work and school and can't be up at 1am playing a game.

Word

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

People have been saying the same in every game I've played for reasons as varied. Yet but only a single instance have proven true. RO's still running, FFXI's still running, FFXIV's still running. Heck, one of the first MMO's I've ever played, Tibia, is still running! It's one of the oldest MMOs still running without any quality of life upgrades (if it ain't broke...)! Just because the game is in a momentary lull doesn't mean a thing. All games experience those, some more often than others. But the fact this is free to play is as much a sign that anyone that wants to come back can, and without any hassle.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User

We earned it, we've seen this game completely change from it's beginnings, you console player know nothing of how this game use to look 6 years ago....You would be crying doom every day in those early years....So for you to scream doom less then a month in is laughable. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »

We earned it, we've seen this game completely change from it's beginnings, you console player know nothing of how this game use to look 6 years ago....You would be crying doom every day in those early years....So for you to scream doom less then a month in is laughable. :D

Though honesty, for some of them, not unexpected. I was expecting these threads. Though i have to admit some of them are laughable.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    It's not dead--it's just tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
    boldly-watched.png
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    It's not dead--it's just tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
    Pining for the Fjords?