test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Already Dead on PS4

I noticed STO isn't even listed anymore on the front page of the PS store so I went I to the game to see how the population is looking. Only four full instances running with 30 people each. Basically less than 200 people on period. Yikes. After launch there were a decent amount of full instances running.
I guess that's what happens when you bring an old game to console players that's buggy as hell and take over a month to fix a fraction of what was broken.
Anyway, the reticle is planted dead center on the back of my chars head which is annoying enough for me to shelf the game yet again. I'll pop in again when doffing is added, that is if it will be before the game straight up sunsets due to lack of revenue.

Comments

• tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Hmm, where do you go to see that information? Curious as I played from about 10:30pm to 2:00am tonight and saw players every place I went between Beta and Delta quadrants.

I know the population certainly isn't huge for this game from what I am seeing but I always seem to run into other players whereever I go.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    DOOOOOM!!!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    DOOOOOOMMMMM !!!!!!

https://youtu.be/Y4yu-nb6eTs
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    4 full instances of what? ESD?

That is only one location in the whole game. There are other hubs, system locations, missions, PvE queues, and the fact that STO hasn't been out long on consoles.

As for the zoom... I'm pretty sure you can adjust that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    well, if it's dead, fry it up and eat it - no sense letting it go to waste​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Op logs in on a random Thursday, in the middle of the night, during the school year, and proclaims the game is already dead.

I suppose in the 18-23 year old, jobless, not in college, high on Dew and Doritos, category maybe.

The rest of us have work and school and can't be up at 1am playing a game.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Give the game a chance,it has been out for what 4-5 weeks? This isn't the latest Call of Duty or Zombie Gorefest, it's Star Trek which may be seen to be a niche category. It probably doesn't help either that the "I want it now" bunch are getting all sulky everytime a bug surfaces. As I pointed out elsewhere, some of the bugfixes might need input from the console manufacturers or may need different implementation than is done on PC.

Once more content is activated and the dev's become better acquainted with how the console handles certain parameters as opposed to how the PC does then things will improve. The chances are that if things are rushed to bring the game as it stands on the PC to either console then it won't just be a few annoying bugs but a mess of game breakers that will surface.

As said the console versions are 4-5ish weeks into deployment, the PC version has gone through 6 years of continual development and refinement. Plus the game is an MMO which means live, ongoing content with continual progress this isn't a game that can be played and completed in a week or so.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    so I went I to the game to see how the population is looking. Only four full instances running with 30 people each. Basically less than 200 people on period. Yikes. After launch there were a decent amount of full instances running.

Welcome to STO! And the forums! Did you know that counting instances and player counting while in-game is a time honored tradition? The PC players have been doing that for the entirety of the game's 6 year existence! I am excited to see the same tradition and legacy upheld by our console playing descendants.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randalmarrs#3720 randalmarrs Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Limited experience may cause a skewed pov on your part ATM. I see plenty of ppl in the various zones and instances. So many I see foreign languages. On a side note, how come the universal translator is not working?
    Limited experience may cause a skewed pov on your part ATM. I see plenty of ppl in the various zones and instances. So many I see foreign languages. On a side note, how come the universal translator is not working?

To quote Capt. Harriman in Generations "It arrives Tuesday" ... which Tuesday is another matter but it will be a Tuesday :smile:

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I noticed STO isn't even listed anymore on the front page of the PS store so I went I to the game to see how the population is looking. Only four full instances running with 30 people each. Basically less than 200 people on period. Yikes. After launch there were a decent amount of full instances running.

Well.... if it makes you feel any better, last night I was playing STO on the PC in the Voth Battlezone. There were only 3 instances running with only 39 players in total. So I guess STO is pretty much dead on the PC....
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Well.... if it makes you feel any better, last night I was playing STO on the PC in the Voth Battlezone. There were only 3 instances running with only 39 players in total. So I guess STO is pretty much dead on the PC....

Nope, we saw you come in and were hiding in the badlands :smiley:

• phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    You guys, I think the OP might be on to something. I logged on to the PC version and I didn't see ANYONE on ESD! Granted, I was zoomed in, facing out the window, and was only on for like a three minutes to do some DOFFing, but I think this is a clear indication that the game is in SERIOUS TROUBLE!!!11!!eleventy!!!1
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    so I went I to the game to see how the population is looking. Only four full instances running with 30 people each. Basically less than 200 people on period. Yikes. After launch there were a decent amount of full instances running.

Welcome to STO! And the forums! Did you know that counting instances and player counting while in-game is a time honored tradition? The PC players have been doing that for the entirety of the game's 6 year existence! I am excited to see the same tradition and legacy upheld by our console playing descendants.
    It has been proven conclusively with this method that not only is this game doomed, it's been dead for years. The only reason it hasn't closed down is because the devs can't accept the truth, and have very healthy organs to donate.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    4 full instances of what? ESD?

That is only one location in the whole game. There are other hubs, system locations, missions, PvE queues, and the fact that STO hasn't been out long on consoles.

As for the zoom... I'm pretty sure you can adjust that.

So I see there is another doom sayer in here. First of all if anything has taught me about this game is there are times when it seems like nobody is on and there are time when it's so full that it lags like crazy. When word on the PS network gets out that it can be played WITHOUT an active PS4 account it will catch on quick. Now if you are playing at 3 a.m you will most likely find the player activity a little thin. And the zoom? Just keep tapping the X button until you find a angle you like. I have been schooling a friend of mine on this game since it came out. He has the PS4 I am on the P.C. I also have a friend in Germany who plays other arc games and half the time he has to log on at 2 A.M. HIS time because the severs in his location get backed up so bad that he crashes every 30 minutes! Remember 60% of console players are in there late teens to early 20's and are prone to judging a game console by the who has "Better graphx" BS. And the last thing a Grizzled Ancient {such as myself} likes to play with is a whiny self entitled twerp who has to much pride to ask for help on "HOW" to play the game. Sorry for the rant, Still P.O. over a Pug match last night that went way way sideways.
    P.S. "Grizzled Ancient" it a gamer with 30+ years of gaming exp.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I certainly see activity everywhere on Xbox One wherever I go ingame, and no matter what time of day. I've enjoyed the hell out of STO and plan to stick with it for the long haul. You see I will have to as I've got ten characters going on two separate gamertags; eight of ten on my main and a pair on my alt. I'm a glutton for something that I enjoy! Plus, I'm a sucker for character creation.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    You should be happy, that there are not too many people logged in the game at once...
    I remember times, when the whole server crashed from overload for 2-3 hours when STO started an Event...
    And soon the Winter Event starts once more...
  • panzerbjorne39#1071 panzerbjorne39 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Dooooooom I say! DOOM.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I guess that's what happens when you bring an old game to console players that's buggy as hell and take over a month to fix a fraction of what was broken.
    Anyway, the reticle is planted dead center on the back of my chars head which is annoying enough for me to shelf the game yet again. I'll pop in again when doffing is added, that is if it will be before the game straight up sunsets due to lack of revenue.

Share the joy of PWE enterprises. It's been broken in here for over 6 years and now they expand this to consoles without any fixes. If PC is a blueprint to whats to come to consoles....feel sorry on those on that side.

On Xbox is not any better either...except for weekends. Like I was saying in short term a GREAT money maker....long term...a pocket hole egg-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Nope, we saw you come in and were hiding in the badlands :smiley:

WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS HIDE FROM ME!?!?!?!?

i SWEAR I BATHED AT LEAST ONCE IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS!!!

It has been proven conclusively with this method that not only is this game doomed, it's been dead for years. The only reason it hasn't closed down is because the devs can't accept the truth, and have very healthy organs to donate.

The devs are just delusional you know? Like this very thread is proving how delusional! As @phenomenaut01 clearly proves:
    I logged on to the PC version and I didn't see ANYONE on ESD!

Game's dead. Entropy wins. /thread

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User

In fact the game DID shut down four years ago.

Wake up ..... come back to us .... you're hallucinating reading STO forums again!

Latveria doesn't allow for console games to be sold within its borders.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Nice to see that the time honored tradition of DOOM Threads is already a thing for console.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!! And i don't even play on consoles. :D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Whether the game is doomed or not I can't say but I do feel STO overall has at least another five years in it.

But yes I think we can safely predict the console side will quietly disappear in no more than a few years. I'd bet $5 against two dead flies it is gone by late 2017 / early 2018.

That outcome was locked in as soon as the console server became a second class release platform with a separate set of servers. It's a matter of cost of ownership over revenue.

Redundant investment of people, money and infrastructure plus no way to join established fleets means less retention or incentive for people to buy virtual assets.

I see a half-hearted marketing play. I'm willing to bet their internal console tech folks are being starved for resources. I also bet they know that and feel no great obligation to go on a "death march".

Remember, there is a reason why they did away with PvP, with faction=specific content, etc. It came down to redundant investments that didn't balance out with revenue.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Well, I guess it's time to pack it up

Ok guys time to go, close the bridge

https://youtu.be/6epe9cFQ_9c?t=2m23s
    GwaoHAD.png
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    No bridge?
    No bridge.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Ah. This be one of them poor DOOM! Threads.

I expect a Mod will arrive sooner or later to close this nonsense. People have been declaring STO is dying and doomed regularly since the game first arrived say, five or six years ago.
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Well, I guess it's time to pack it up

Ok guys time to go, close the bridge

https://youtu.be/6epe9cFQ_9c?t=2m23s

This made visiting this thread a second time totally worth it. Thanks!
    kjfett_14091.jpg