storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Worst idea revived EVER!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    It is also trivial to solve. :wink:

This would require a lot more work than you would think. I'll take Taco's word on it long before anyone who knows nothing of how the game is put together.

Not in the context of this thread. We're talking about the new faction. Just give the new faction a different ranking structure that caps out at Captain. Just like Klingons have Dahar Masters, and Romulans have sub-commanders and sub-admirals, since the TOS thing is going to be a separate faction according to Al Rivera, the opportunity to make this really easy is there: Just change the names of each rank and have the top TOS faction rank be Captain.

It fits the flavor of TOS.

It gives all the people in this thread something they've been after.

It maintains the hard work and rank everyone else earned.

And it doesn't require reprogramming anything. Just changing the text in the system that's already there. And people have suggested a zillion times a system that caps out at Captain so that's already out there.

This, if done ONLY for the TOS faction, is super easy to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User

This would require a lot more work than you would think. I'll take Taco's word on it long before anyone who knows nothing of how the game is put together.

Not in the context of this thread. We're talking about the new faction. Just give the new faction a different ranking structure that caps out at Captain. Just like Klingons have Dahar Masters, and Romulans have sub-commanders and sub-admirals, since the TOS thing is going to be a separate faction according to Al Rivera, the opportunity to make this really easy is there: Just change the names of each rank and have the top TOS faction rank be Captain.

It fits the flavor of TOS.

It gives all the people in this thread something they've been after.

It maintains the hard work and rank everyone else earned.

And it doesn't require reprogramming anything. Just changing the text in the system that's already there. And people have suggested a zillion times a system that caps out at Captain so that's already out there.

This, if done ONLY for the TOS faction, is super easy to do.
    Amen
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    What you have to keep in mind, though, is that the rank progression fpr TOS characters is already finished at least for a few months. The work has been done and if they haven't done it yet, and I can't imagine they changed the familiar ranking structure as Geko voiced cocnern that people will get confused over differing department colours in the TOS era, they won't go back and change it. Because whatever it is that hinders them to change the existing way ranks and titles work is already in place in the expansion as well.

EDIT: To clarify again, I'd very much like a different rank structure at least including "commodore" for rear admiral. But it's one of those question we keep asking for six years without any effect.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well, since Al Rivera confirmed that TOS will be its own, full, separate Federation faction, there is absolutely no reason that Captain couldn't be implemented as the Endgame rank for characters generated in it. :)

it remains to be seen how full this supposed "full, separate Federation faction" is actually going to be.
    if at some point we are going to be slotted into the current timeline to carry on as a basic fed character then that full faction is going to be about as full as the romulan faction is.
    it was already stated in the podcast by Al Rivera that it is at least as much of a new faction as romulans was a new faction.

we cant say for sure what this means, it may just mean we don't join with the fed faction quite as soon as a romulan character would have to choose a faction but at the end of the day you will find yourself in a similar situation of joining the main fed faction as a fed character just with a slightly different back story.

so why should your "Endgame rank" not be the same as a regular fed characters "Endgame rank".

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    All this discussion of TWOK when in TMP Kirk was placed in command, replacing Captain Decker, before he even boarded the ship. The first words of the bridge crew to Kirk, after Admiral on Deck, were "He doesn't know" meaning Decker was literally the last person on board to know he had lost the Enterprise on the orders of Starfleet Command. So much for an Admiral having to inform a Captain he is taking his ship.

He did have to go clear to the head of Starfleet to do it, though, and it's implied it took a lot of convincing. Kirk did not get to simply walk on the bridge and say, "Get out of the chair." He had to beg the guy who assigns captains in the first place.

Admiral Nogura yes, I doubt any begging was involved knowing Kirk, more likely some form of "Aggressive Negotiations". The only real insight we have into that though was the conversation between Kirk and Scotty on the way up to the ship. Kirk says they gave the ship back to him, Scotty says "I doubt it was that easy with Nogura" and Kirk says "You're right", so it wasn't easy but that is all we know.

The novelization of The Motion Picture written by Roddenberry back when that movie came out, has a lovely chapter about that particular conversation between Nogura and Kirk.

I know it's not considered "canon" but it is still a nice addition to my 'head-canon'.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, since Al Rivera confirmed that TOS will be its own, full, separate Federation faction, there is absolutely no reason that Captain couldn't be implemented as the Endgame rank for characters generated in it. :)

it remains to be seen how full this supposed "full, separate Federation faction" is actually going to be.
    if at some point we are going to be slotted into the current timeline to carry on as a basic fed character then that full faction is going to be about as full as the romulan faction is.
    it was already stated in the podcast by Al Rivera that it is at least as much of a new faction as romulans was a new faction.

we cant say for sure what this means, it may just mean we don't join with the fed faction quite as soon as a romulan character would have to choose a faction but at the end of the day you will find yourself in a similar situation of joining the main fed faction as a fed character just with a slightly different back story.

so why should your "Endgame rank" not be the same as a regular fed characters "Endgame rank".

I think someone already explained this above - - - even if TOS turns out to be only a partial faction like the Romulans, those guys got their own rank structure - - - right, Sub-admiral? So 'Captain' as end game rank should be a no-brainer for TOS.

TOS does indeed have its own rank structure but once your characters becomes a part of the fed faction they will have to adopt the rank structure for that faction so your character might be max rank captain up to that point but beyond that point your character will continue on to Admiral in keeping with the fed faction rank structure.
    after all beyond that point you are no longer playing the character as a TOS character but as a fed character.

• Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User

Correct!

And what's even cooler about this is ... most of the "need to stay a captain" ... and "Never let them promote you out of that chair" ... stems directly from TOS. So it'd be a nice bit of flavor added to this faction. And fall in line with other factions that follow different ranking schemes anyways (my Klingon for example is NOT ever called Centurion).

I thought the idea of always a captain, only a captain was born from the movies. TMP to be more specific.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    saedeith wrote: »
    And what's even cooler about this is ... most of the "need to stay a captain" ... and "Never let them promote you out of that chair" ... stems directly from TOS. So it'd be a nice bit of flavor added to this faction. And fall in line with other factions that follow different ranking schemes anyways (my Klingon for example is NOT ever called Centurion).

I thought the idea of always a captain, only a captain was born from the movies. TMP to be more specific.

It does play a bit throughout TOS and occasionally in TAS.

It's Kirk's personal character quirk, not an aspiration that any of us as players need have, nor something that should be foisted upon us just because the expansion is TOS themed and Kirk was a TOS character.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I just hope there is Commodore instead of RALH in the TOS faction, that would tickle me pink.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options

Even when Taco himself sais that he misunderstood?

. o O (What is wrong about an idea that gives everybody what they want?)

You do realize that to completely change EVERY SINGLE instance of talking to the player and adding in more code to get the title correct is a LONG, highly indepth process that makes PWE/Cryptic ZERO money but costs them a small fortune to do so?

I mean in man hours a lone it's going to cost a bundle. So what's the upside for PWE doing this? Happy players, that doesn't equate to a nice quarterly earning statement.

Bottom line, till it becomes profitable for PWE to do so, it won't happen. PERIOD. THE END.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »
    [...]
    You do realize that to completely change EVERY SINGLE instance of talking to the player and adding in more code to get the title correct is a LONG, highly indepth process that makes PWE/Cryptic ZERO money but costs them a small fortune to do so?

Well, $RANK, I don't think it is. Because you know, $RANK, replacing a variable in a text string isn't difficult. It can even be automated, $TITLE. (There is talk about top-of-the-line text editor programs having a function called "search/replace". It is cutting edge technology, so you probably haven't heard about it, but it works fine, I am told.)

And if you absolutely want to, you can monetize that, by the way: With sellable titles. Hell, some titles are sold as part of things like the Temporal Operative pack. Increasing the value and applicability of that sales item isn't a bad idea for boosting sales.

And then you infuriate most of the player base. Sure they already have sellable titles, hell there are 3 in the new expansion pack. Point is, there's little to no money in it, and you're just stretching to try and make it work.

Give it up.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I just hope there is Commodore instead of RALH in the TOS faction, that would tickle me pink.

And in the rest of the game as per canon.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    [...]
    And then you infuriate most of the player base. [...]

I think you should be more explicit about how that is supposed to happen.

Imagine you gain all these titles on your own already, then you go back and monetize them so you can have your title said you you in the story. And that wouldn't infuriate people?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    [...]
    Imagine you gain all these titles on your own already, then you go back and monetize them [...]

Nobody said anything about monetizing existing titles. You are beating a strawman.

And you dodge the point that the implementation of the variable change would indeed be trivial, would once and for all stop all "Captain" threads like this one, and give every single player what they want regarding how their characters are addressed.

One could conclude that you just want to anatagonize.

No you say it's trivial. Might be trivial, but it's also time consuming considering GEKO, developer himself said they'd literally have to go through line by line to change out and add what is wanted.

I'm going to take a developer's word over yours on how "easy" it would be.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options

They call my Klingon a Dahar Master. They call my Romulan Sub-Commander and Sub-Admiral. I'm thinking for the new TOS "faction" they can adjust the ranks in the exact same way that they already have shown they can do. Doesn't seem like it's the type of process you're describing since they're already done it twice for the other two, non-federation factions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TOS does indeed have its own rank structure but once your characters becomes a part of the fed faction they will have to adopt the rank structure for that faction so your character might be max rank captain up to that point but beyond that point your character will continue on to Admiral in keeping with the fed faction rank structure.
    after all beyond that point you are no longer playing the character as a TOS character but as a fed character.

My Romulan had to choose to be incorporated into the Federation or the KDF. He chose Federation. But when he was a Sub Admiral, he didn't break the game at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

They call my Klingon a Dahar Master. They call my Romulan Sub-Commander and Sub-Admiral. I'm thinking for the new TOS "faction" they can adjust the ranks in the exact same way that they already have shown they can do. Doesn't seem like it's the type of process you're describing since they're already done it twice for the other two, non-federation factions.

Ofcourse you're going to be called usually to your rank at that given point. I mean my fed gets called Fleet admiral, as does my Rom toon. My KDF gets called Dahar Master instead of general. Which is what is.
    [...]
    No you say it's trivial. Might be trivial, but it's also time consuming considering GEKO, developer himself said they'd literally have to go through line by line to change out and add what is wanted.

Huh? Where did he say that?

It was in another thread about this topic. I'd go diving for it, but I soon have to go pick up the admiral of my fleet (Aka wife) or i'd go digging for it.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options

My Romulan had to choose to be incorporated into the Federation or the KDF. He chose Federation. But when he was a Sub Admiral, he didn't break the game at all.

you were given a choice because there were two possible factions for you to choose between, with the TOS faction you will not be given a choice you will have to join the fed faction.
    mind you I suppose there is one other choice you could make, delete character.

Rear Admiral, Lower Half - Subadmiral I & Rear Admiral, Upper Half - Subadmiral II (tier 5 ranks) you are splitting hairs with ranks that are up to lv50 you still have Vice Admiral, Admiral and Fleet Admiral (tier 6 ranks) that are the same all of the ranks introduced to the game after they expanded the max level to lv60, besides which all of these ranks are above captain as in being levels of admiralty so you point is?

still I suppose you could win the day and stay as captains (tier 4 rank) and be excluded from flying tier 5 and tier 6 ships as they are only for tier 5, tier 5U and tier 6 characters or admiralty only ships.

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    [...]
    Imagine you gain all these titles on your own already, then you go back and monetize them [...]

Nobody said anything about monetizing existing titles. You are beating a strawman.

And you dodge the point that the implementation of the variable change would indeed be trivial, would once and for all stop all "Captain" threads like this one, and give every single player what they want regarding how their characters are addressed.

Can you cite, please?

From my "ex programmer" days, I wrote a little concept over in the feedback forums and had a touch of debate with Angrytarg over it, but it's been so long since we debated the "necro" rule now applies...

However, the concept is still applicable, that is, if the system actually works this way:

1. At some point in the game or map loading process, there is most likely a reference that checks player's current level and inserts the appropriate "full rank" and "shorthand rank" into a couple of variables.
    2. After which point, the game proceeds to fill in all the rank-related texts based on these variables.

IF instead of checking the character's "saved numeric level", the check that populates the rank variables were to check against a "player selected" variable (set at default to the actual numeric level, and automatically adjusted each "promotion") - then the player's requests would be 100% fulfilled - those who don't care will see the standard promotion of ranks, and those that do can start switching in their desired rank after they earn it. But, the promotion would "reset" it in case you wanted to run with the new rank (straight from Captain to Admiral, no RALH/RAUH/VA)...
    The only challenge becomes where to place the dropdown to handle this function (Edit Biography Page of the Character screen), scheduling the UI Artist to create the block, and coding in the "how to make the block pick from earned ranks" and the variable swap to have it reference the block's result instead of the default rank number...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Rear Admiral, Lower Half - Subadmiral I & Rear Admiral, Upper Half - Subadmiral II (tier 5 ranks) you are splitting hairs with ranks that are up to lv50 you still have Vice Admiral, Admiral and Fleet Admiral (tier 6 ranks) that are the same all of the ranks introduced to the game after they expanded the max level to lv60, besides which all of these ranks are above captain as in being levels of admiralty so you point is?

I'm not splitting hairs at all.

Federation = Fleet Admiral
    KDF = Dahar Master
    TOS Faction = "Whatever Cryptic wants to call it, which could be, just ... Captain"

There's nothing to prevent this from happening in terms of game mechanics because it's already in the game with Klingons. The TOS Faction ranking structure could be this:

Level 0 = Smurf
    Level 1 to 10 = Gummy Bear
    Level 11 to 20 = Snork
    Level 21 to 30 = Shirttail
    Level 31 to 40 = Trollkin
    Level 41 to 45 = Power Ranger
    Level 46 to 50 = Muppet
    Level 51 to 55 = Looney Tune
    Level 56 to 59 = Silverhawk
    Level 60 = Snarf! Snarf!

They could make that the ranks. And it would just fine. Not break the game. That's my point.

EDIT: Or maybe just let the Level 40 rank titles make the point for me ...
    Romulan is Subadmiral. Klingon is Brigadier General. Federation is Rear Admiral Lower Half. The TOS title could be ... anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dareau wrote: »
    [...]

Can you cite, please?

From my "ex programmer" days, I wrote a little concept over in the feedback forums and had a touch of debate with Angrytarg over it, but it's been so long since we debated the "necro" rule now applies...

However, the concept is still applicable, that is, if the system actually works this way:

1. At some point in the game or map loading process, there is most likely a reference that checks player's current level and inserts the appropriate "full rank" and "shorthand rank" into a couple of variables.
    2. After which point, the game proceeds to fill in all the rank-related texts based on these variables.

IF instead of checking the character's "saved numeric level", the check that populates the rank variables were to check against a "player selected" variable (set at default to the actual numeric level, and automatically adjusted each "promotion") - then the player's requests would be 100% fulfilled - those who don't care will see the standard promotion of ranks, and those that do can start switching in their desired rank after they earn it. But, the promotion would "reset" it in case you wanted to run with the new rank (straight from Captain to Admiral, no RALH/RAUH/VA)...
    The only challenge becomes where to place the dropdown to handle this function (Edit Biography Page of the Character screen), scheduling the UI Artist to create the block, and coding in the "how to make the block pick from earned ranks" and the variable swap to have it reference the block's result instead of the default rank number...

Going to take me a while to find.
    afMSv4g.jpg