What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In honor of TOS: Captain rank cap

Comments

• Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    You really don't understand lawful ship command don't you?

Guys, I worked my butt off to attain the rank of Fleet Admiral in STO. So I'm going to butt my high ranking nose into this discussion to tell both of you, also Fleet Admirals, from one Fleet Admiral to another Fleet Admiral, that I am the actual hero of STO and the game tells all its stories about me and my voyages as Fleet Admiral of the USS [REDACTED].

So let's just chit chat on subspace about how awesome my fleet admiraling skills are, k?

;)

As a fellow Fleet Admiral and "Hero at Large", I must say, I like the cut of your Jib. ;)

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    maina wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    You really don't understand lawful ship command don't you?

Guys, I worked my butt off to attain the rank of Fleet Admiral in STO. So I'm going to butt my high ranking nose into this discussion to tell both of you, also Fleet Admirals, from one Fleet Admiral to another Fleet Admiral, that I am the actual hero of STO and the game tells all its stories about me and my voyages as Fleet Admiral of the USS [REDACTED].

So let's just chit chat on subspace about how awesome my fleet admiraling skills are, k?

;)

As a fellow Fleet Admiral and "Hero at Large", I must say, I like the cut of your Jib. ;)

That's all fine and well in the post-Iconian War era (we come to live with the decision that someone at Cryptic thought being an Fleet Admiral was way cooler than being a Captain, despite 50 years of series/movies), but the fact is it wasn't so in the TOS period.

Let's give these new AoY characters something unique that runs right in line with the feel, flavor and canon lore of The Original Series - Captain rank as the hero.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    And lets not forget that Starfleet is so large, there probably is room for an equivalent of "Admiral of the Navy", that Dewey had been promoted to in WWI, maybe Admiral of Starfleet?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    briandusel wrote: »
    I fully support the rank of Commodore replacing Rear Admiral Lower Half... that's just dumb. I know the real Navy does it, but cmon, this is fantasy and Commodore sounds cooler.

This right here basically end the discussion. Full support pig-42.gifpig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    @sophlogimo And when Dewey was Admiral of the Navy, the Navy didnt have nearly 1,000 ships either.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Someone needs to tell Komack, Fitzpatrick, and Fitzgerald that they weren't really Admirals. Poor guys.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And let's not forget the forgotten TOS Commodore - Travers who died at Cestus III. We'll always know him for setting a good table.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They do need to sort out who can give us orders. I don't mind tagging Eeppos (or however they're spelt :D) but I object to being ordered to do it. I also don't care what Koal is wearing on his shoulders, I'm not part of the RR and he can't order me to do jack. The Sphere is not in RR territory and the RR is subservient to us, not the reverse.

Also we need to stop saluting (as Feds), unless our character has a major military fetish that everybody else feels to embarrassed not to indulge or something.
    But apparently it's affected the RR and KDF as well. Gone are their traditional chest thumping raised arm salutes reminiscent of Romans only to be replaced by a Royal Navy salute of all things (yes, Royal Navy, that is what the US based its salute on), so much for Klingon or Romulan pride.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    (...)
    Also we need to stop saluting (as Feds), unless our character has a major military fetish that everybody else feels to embarrassed not to indulge or something.
    But apparently it's affected the RR and KDF as well. Gone are their traditional chest thumping raised arm salutes reminiscent of Romans only to be replaced by a Royal Navy salute of all things (yes, Royal Navy, that is what the US based its salute on), so much for Klingon or Romulan pride.

Yes! That stupid salute emote always reminds me of Monty Python for some reason... pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)
    But apparently it's affected the RR and KDF as well. Gone are their traditional chest thumping raised arm salutes reminiscent of Romans only to be replaced by a Royal Navy salute of all things (yes, Royal Navy, that is what the US based its salute on), so much for Klingon or Romulan pride.

Yes! That stupid salute emote always reminds me of Monty Python for some reason... pig-2.gif

Not Monty Python though ;)

tumblr_ntnm55Y6Fy1tyiheio2_250.gif​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Not Monty Python though ;)

tumblr_ntnm55Y6Fy1tyiheio2_250.gif

monty-python-s-british-army-o.gif

pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    All this discussion of TWOK when in TMP Kirk was placed in command, replacing Captain Decker, before he even boarded the ship. The first words of the bridge crew to Kirk, after Admiral on Deck, were "He doesn't know" meaning Decker was literally the last person on board to know he had lost the Enterprise on the orders of Starfleet Command. So much for an Admiral having to inform a Captain he is taking his ship.
    In TMP Kirk basicly acted like an #§§&0!@, just to get his beloved Enterprise back.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    All this discussion of TWOK when in TMP Kirk was placed in command, replacing Captain Decker, before he even boarded the ship. The first words of the bridge crew to Kirk, after Admiral on Deck, were "He doesn't know" meaning Decker was literally the last person on board to know he had lost the Enterprise on the orders of Starfleet Command. So much for an Admiral having to inform a Captain he is taking his ship.

He did have to go clear to the head of Starfleet to do it, though, and it's implied it took a lot of convincing. Kirk did not get to simply walk on the bridge and say, "Get out of the chair." He had to beg the guy who assigns captains in the first place.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Well, since Al Rivera confirmed that TOS will be its own, full, separate Federation faction, there is absolutely no reason that Captain couldn't be implemented as the Endgame rank for characters generated in it. :)
  • Options
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    It is also trivial to solve. :wink:

According to the devs, it isn't. It has been brought up numerous times that it's at least so much work that they can and will not put attention to the ranks in their schedule. Since I have no idea about coding a videogame I can't say anything about it, but it seems to be more work than many people think.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Well, since Al Rivera confirmed that TOS will be its own, full, separate Federation faction, there is absolutely no reason that Captain couldn't be implemented as the Endgame rank for characters generated in it. :)

Correct!

And what's even cooler about this is ... most of the "need to stay a captain" ... and "Never let them promote you out of that chair" ... stems directly from TOS. So it'd be a nice bit of flavor added to this faction. And fall in line with other factions that follow different ranking schemes anyways (my Klingon for example is NOT ever called Centurion).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It is also trivial to solve. :wink:

According to the devs, it isn't. It has been brought up numerous times that it's at least so much work that they can and will not put attention to the ranks in their schedule. Since I have no idea about coding a videogame I can't say anything about it, but it seems to be more work than many people think.​​

Actually, the only time I remember a dev actually saying anything about it, it was Tacofangs, who isn't a programmer and at first misunderstood the question, because he wasn't at the time aware that the "title" variable is already in the game.

And given that the variable already exists, a simple replacement of all references to the level-tied rank variable to the player-selected title variable in NPC dialogue boxes and such really is trivial in any imaginable way the code could be like.

But then you have the problem of some players who may want "Silver Star Recipient" or "Alpha Quadrant Saviour" as their title - it's a pain waiting to happen, especially as only a small portion (going off on an assumption from this thread, at least) of people may think to do this.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Good point.
    MXeSfqV.jpg