test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Guide to Fastest Game on Ice

Comments

• rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    @alfred399 Some other advice: pressing R puts your character on auto run. Then you only need to press shift once to keep in sprint. Alternatively, if you press both mouse buttons while in RPG (default) mode, your character will also start running. Pressing shift once will activate sprint, and you can then steer with the mouse like in Shooter mode. Might take some practice, but you got plenty of time till the end of the event to master this tactic.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Just a friendly reminder for everyone, map of the track and some good advice on Pg. 1. Be sure to check there as well as reading the rest of the thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darleathdarleath Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Frankly speaking, you don't need anything but to remember one thing: hitting twice the forward key (default W) will make you roll forward... and that will kill all your momentum, effectively stopping you, allowing to rotate and start running again.
    Couple that with the Counter Command set for its speed bonus after a roll, and you can win without effort, no need to use anything else.
    edited December 2015
    It's very kind of Ms Rattler to try to help, but this stupid race is impossible. So long as they refuse to replace it with something more doable, I will never have one of the ships they offer in the winter event. Seriously, as often as people have complained about the difficulty, year after year, you'd think they'd do something. MMOs are not supposed to be expert timing fast reaction twitch games and you're not supposed to be able to fail for lack of arcade-gaming type skill.

They should find something more easily completed or add something like a participation reward where if you try and lsoe three times you get the token anyhow even if you don't win. Because this is nothing but frustration.

Or maybe we could earn these things from Tides of Ice instead? Or additionally? Let people choose the event they prefer and / or can accomplish consistently for the reward. Don't make people bash their head against the wall in a minigame they cannot complete successfully.​​

Its not impossible.

Its all in the timing on the straightaways. Do a few practice runs, get a feel for the ice track, then when you're confident you can do it, go for it. You don't have to run full out the entire way. Go ahead and try some of the tips people have suggested in this thread. This is what I started this thread for. To help people succeed at this event.

Also... I'm a guy IRL. I just happen to like Erza Scarlet as my avatar here. :p
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I threw this together this morning. It's not as comprehensive and the OP, but its short and sweet for TL:DR players.

https://youtu.be/xeIgwU9PfQ4

Nice work!
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    It's not "impossible" by any stretch, but it does take a bit of technique that may require more than a 10 second attention span to learn and apply, even after reading guides like this. If you're the sort of person to try it once, fail, then pull a table-flipping ragequit, I guess you won't be flying a Breen Dreadnaught. :smile:

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    From some of the comments, I think we're missing one of the most important tips of all.

If you've convinced yourself that you can't win the race, then you won't.

We're very sorry you won't get this year's prize. We're sorry that there is no consolation prize. We're sorry, but we don't think Cryptic owes you a prize. Not much more to say than that.

I'm not talking about people with physical handicaps that literally prevent them from having enough dexterity to manage it. But if a guy in a cast is willing to try it and get advice from the community, there probably aren't too many people who shouldn't at least try it. There are also people out there who help handicapped players set up controls that will work for them.

If you are determined to win the race no matter what, you will probably succeed when you've learned enough to make the controls work for you.

I am a hand-eye coordination challenged individual who can assure you that the race is not impossible. I do not run the entire course at full sprint. I learned how to move through the course faster than the opponent does. Many people have learned tips that enable them to beat the race -- if not every time, then most of the time. If they did, most likely you can too.

But you have to believe it. You have to be willing to practice it over and over until you understand it and you can't give up trying.

I wish you luck and success. If it doesn't work for you, come back and explain why it doesn't work for you and maybe someone here can help you figure it out.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • ruffiansevenruffianseven Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    As an addendum to my previous post, I finally won the race. I did it against the sluggish Breen opponent as a Catian. I simply hit the space bar to stop at the corners and spammed the shift key. Whew! I thought I never beat the race. Took 10 tries this evening. Don't know if I'm up for dozens more but, elated I did it. Thanks for all the tips. :)
    As an addendum to my previous post, I finally won the race. I did it against the sluggish Breen opponent as a Catian. I simply hit the space bar to stop at the corners and spammed the shift key. Whew! I thought I never beat the race. Took 10 tries this evening. Don't know if I'm up for dozens more but, elated I did it. Thanks for all the tips. :)

Well... all it takes is practice. As you do it, you'll get better and better until you nail it first try. Then nail it again, and again, and maybe next year or the year after that you'll be right here providing tips for others just like we are this year.

I know this is Wing Commander related, but I'll leave this here for everyone on the ice.
    klavs_keepcalm.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    43a2e7785b0c8ccb4601f0d03f204304.jpg
    is far more relevant to the game​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave advice on doing the race with one hand in plaster. Took a few attempts but managed to get a successful run - I really do advise anyone else struggling to keep trying, you'll get there eventually!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    hehe, if a guy with a broken hand can do it.... :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    This tread has been useful, so the Doctor gives it...
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Watch what time you run the race at, did my run today during the snowball fight, and got attacked by the snowmen all the way around the track, still won but it was far from the usually easy run.​​
    I should like to also add, I offer my sympathies to everyone having trouble with this. I, too, am having a terrible time of it. While I hope to improve some (thanks to Ratter's map), it is much tougher that it's sister Daily from the Summer Event.

In the Summer, I only had to re-play the mission a second time on the first day after my first try. Every single time after that, I completed the daily on the first try. I stuck to the basic Floater and never had any problems. In fact, for my skills, a faster Floater would have been a hindrance. Here, there is not way to "reduce" the friction. Just the opposite, there are boots that can make the friction even less.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bejaymac wrote: »
    Watch what time you run the race at, did my run today during the snowball fight, and got attacked by the snowmen all the way around the track, still won but it was far from the usually easy run.​​
    I once did a rail-shooter run for the fun of it. heh, was quite a challenge. I used full-auto(flurry?) by the way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    fletch57 wrote: »
    I tried five times,lost five times.didn't leave the track once.since last year Iv'e noticed when you have a breen,dog,etc racing with you,the game well fail. only being alone you will win. if this is a bug,fix it please.

It's very kind of Ms Rattler to try to help, but this stupid race is impossible. So long as they refuse to replace it with something more doable, I will never have one of the ships they offer in the winter event. Seriously, as often as people have complained about the difficulty, year after year, you'd think they'd do something. MMOs are not supposed to be expert timing fast reaction twitch games and you're not supposed to be able to fail for lack of arcade-gaming type skill.

They should find something more easily completed or add something like a participation reward where if you try and lsoe three times you get the token anyhow even if you don't win. Because this is nothing but frustration.

Or maybe we could earn these things from Tides of Ice instead? Or additionally? Let people choose the event they prefer and / or can accomplish consistently for the reward. Don't make people bash their head against the wall in a minigame they cannot complete successfully.​​

Perseverance!

I feel your pain. The first year this event ran, I was frustrated and raging, just like you. But it can be done, and you can do it. Just read the advice and go practice. I'm a mega-klutz with 10 left thumbs, not to mention being almost 60 and playing on a truly horrid connection, from the ends of the earth. If I can do it, you can do it.

Perseverance conquers all. You can only fail if you give up.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    i have been cut by others many times as soon the timer for snowball fights get closer.
    another tip i can give, if you get no challenger, then just relax, no hurry or super sprinting needed.
    You know, I got a no challenger once. I thought it was a glitch and that something was there just racing invisibly. That really made me nervous that I could fail at any moment. Beating the ice spider is hard. Beating the Breen is easiest in MHO.

Suggestion - If you get a creature you do not wish to race, just step off the track, get disqualified and keep trying until you get to run the race against a Breen or nobody, since nobody is a possibility. ( Or is it? Can we confirm this, please. )
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Confirmed. I got a "No Challenger" run last night while I was seeing how I'd do using only one hand (after the whole discussion about a cast). Several others have described it, as well.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Keybind sprint to left mouse button and look by holding down right button - made race way easier for me as my fingers just don't naturally sit over the shift button when using ASWD gaming controls. After the race switch it back so you can fire a gun as usual. If you can time the sprints and then interupt going off with a jump there is no need to become an expert drifter.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    20 fails in a row. Almost there tho.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    hawku001x wrote: »
    20 fails in a row. Almost there tho.
    Are you trying to challenge me, Hawk? I'm a terrific loser. First one to 100 wins... er I mean, loses. :p

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    You're on! And may the losiest loser win.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    As a basic guide for beginners it's good, but there is better/quicker ways once you get the hang of them.

What I do is start running before the countdown is up as you'll often get ahead of the NPC by a couple of seconds. Use the ice boots as they help greatly for experienced players, start running with the keyboard and then use the mouse to control your turns and you'll be able to run the whole track cutting the corners slightly as needed to reduce speed without reducing your momentum completely by rolling.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.