test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Guide to Fastest Game on Ice

Comments

• jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Using much the same tactics described by my friend Rattler here... I've not only passed the person in front of me's opponent... I've passed the person in front of me, the only thing preventing you from winning this mini game is your own unwillingness to try out the tips and tricks many have detailed here. Using just the picture with the straightaways as it was prescribed will allow you to win the game with ease. So far there has only ever been 1 NPC opponent that I've see CAN be fast enough to almost keep up... and that's the spider, which is rare, all others seem to fall far behind by sprinting on the straightaways which were lined up for you in the picture posted by Rattler.
  • maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this. I done it a few times since the first Breen ship. This should help the new comers on how to do it better.

Jumping and rolling does help on the turns and drifting. So I do a little bit of both. Usually the first few rounds is tricky until I get the rust off me. Then I'm really fast on it.

Greeting New Folks and Vet's alike.. Well.. I can now safely say, that over the last 3 years of Winter Events, none of my 9 toons, that run it daily (I like the race) have NEVER lost to a NPC Racer when they just JOG around the track..

You don't need Boots, Shapeshifter, bunny Hops, tuck/roll or that other stuff.. Just simply JOG the track; cut corners, straighten out curves like the OP's map suggests and you WILL WIN 100% of the time by just jogging..

IMHO, the Race, the Track, the NPC's are not the issue: Instant Gratification and get-it-done-now are most of the problems. Hence we have Line Jumpers that can't wait in the Que, folks screaming about dumping the race all because they WON'T Take the time to learn how to do it at the speed they want to go..

I say.. Oh well.. If you want the Free Ship to actually be "free".. Learn to run the race. "nuff said.. :O)

Have fun.. Be nice to each other..

"Smile, it makes the world wonder what you've been up to"...

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I threw this together this morning. It's not as comprehensive and the OP, but its short and sweet for TL:DR players.

https://youtu.be/xeIgwU9PfQ4
    Very nice. I double tap the W key more then tap the space bar, but both seem to get the job done.

And I'm using the snow banks for a little traction, too. And after doing it a number of times, I getting to know the best places to make a long, straight line before needing to do a 2X W for a roll.

I think I really am getting better. And there's so much help in this thread. So many thoughtful people really trying to help. :) Still haven't gotten it on the first try, yet. Maybe next week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RMB? Not a clue.

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I think I really am getting better. And there's so much help in this thread. So many thoughtful people really trying to help. :) Still haven't gotten it on the first try, yet. Maybe next week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey! We had a deal, zed. A deal.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    maddscott wrote: »
    IMHO, the Race, the Track, the NPC's are not the issue: Instant Gratification and get-it-done-now are most of the problems. Hence we have Line Jumpers that can't wait in the Que

I think Line Jumping is the worst problem with the activity. There's no obvious line and there are often players standing around doing nothing... I'm never sure if they're waiting to go or just idle, and by the time I decide someone else has already run up and started the race.

Even when there was an obvious queue area, most people ignored it. It didn't prevent anyone from approaching the race official whenever they wanted to. I'm not really sure there's any way for the Devs to enforce it.

But, patience. An opportunity to practice more than just my hand-eye coordination. So far, it hasn't prevented me from getting glossies/tokens.

Looks like there's still a "race condition" when two people signal to start the race at the same time. Can't tell yet if the handling for that is improved or not. I beat the line jumper to the mark that time.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I actually have not had issues with line jumping yet. Every time I've done it there has been no line. I think that's due to timing. It's rare to see a line during the PVP race.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Not sure about the poster who said they *jog* and win without any aids. But I did manage to win while only jogging a few days ago with just the frost boots and a plasma repeater with the [RUN] mod. With the frost boots you still have to slide a bit but much more control than sprinting. Worth trying for those having trouble with other methods.

I usually sprint the whole track. Don't cut corners but I do use the snow on the inside of the sharp corners to slow down and tighten my drift. As others have said, if you want to drift the track you have to start turning way in advance and let the momentum carry you into the corner. Steering with the mouse is really helpful - I just hold down the right mouse button rather than activate shooter mode.

I ended up passing another player a couple of nights ago - he was really struggling, sliding wide in the corners. He went back to try it again and I followed him around the track, but when he ended up sliding off and DQ'ing and I tried to message him he had /ignore up. Hopefully he will stumble across this thread.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    Here's a semi-appropriate quote from "Facing the Giants" (emphasis mine):
    J.T. Hawkins Jr.: You act like you gonna miss before you even kick the ball. See, we're gonna have to change your whole kicking philosophy. Now see, you kick it wide left, or wide right, but that ain't gonna get you home. The ball has got to go through the middle.
    David Childers: I know, coach.
    J.T. Hawkins Jr.: No, no, no. You don't. Now what does scripture say about this? Scripture says wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction. And many that be there find it. Now to us; that's wide left, and wide right. But narrow is the gate and straight is the way that leads to life, and few that be there find it. Anybody can kick it wide left and wide right. My momma can kick it wide left and wide right. But that ain't gonna get you home. It don't have to look great. It don't have to look smooth. It can look like a dying duck. But the ball has got to go through the middle. Now David, you gonna have to choose the narrow way. Cause that's the only path where you gonna get your reward.

I don't look great. I don't look smooth. I pretty much look like a dying duck stumbling and flapping around every corner.

But I make my time running straight wherever the course permits it. Anybody here can run straight, or the whole game would be unplayable for them.

After that, it's just timing and practice. Knowing when, where, and how to stop running. You can do that just letting up on the button that makes you go forward and let the slide carry you to a stop.

I'm not going to insult anyone and call it easy, because it's obviously difficult for some. Including me some days. You won't necessarily win every race. You may slide off the track. You may look like a dying duck at every corner. But there's one way to get the reward... take the narrow way and go straight when the path lets you go straight.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    I actually have not had issues with line jumping yet. Every time I've done it there has been no line. I think that's due to timing. It's rare to see a line during the PVP race.
    If someone is standing at the start, I wait for them to go. If I am at the start and someone else runs up, I wait for about 1-2 seconds when the interact comes up. If the guy behind me spams it to 'cut in line', then I hit 'F' and DQ him and run my race. I figure if they think they will cut, they'll be spamming it. If they don't hit it immediately they are either gonna wait their turn or try to DQ me. If they manage it, enh, no big, I just wait a minute for them to go and then go myself. It isn't like I've gotta wait 10 minutes to retry. ;)

"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    Not sure about the poster who said they *jog* and win without any aids. But I did manage to win while only jogging a few days ago with just the frost boots and a plasma repeater with the [RUN] mod. With the frost boots you still have to slide a bit but much more control than sprinting. Worth trying for those having trouble with other methods.

I usually sprint the whole track. Don't cut corners but I do use the snow on the inside of the sharp corners to slow down and tighten my drift. As others have said, if you want to drift the track you have to start turning way in advance and let the momentum carry you into the corner. Steering with the mouse is really helpful - I just hold down the right mouse button rather than activate shooter mode.

I ended up passing another player a couple of nights ago - he was really struggling, sliding wide in the corners. He went back to try it again and I followed him around the track, but when he ended up sliding off and DQ'ing and I tried to message him he had /ignore up. Hopefully he will stumble across this thread.
    there is a configuration setting that only lets friends pm you. :/ I dunno why people like it.l
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Slightly off-topic: My son gave me a tip for the PvP race this year, but I've had trouble making it work for me.

He starts the race in the middle of the platform instead of at the gate. He starts running right around the time the race official says "get set" and times it so that he goes over the gate as soon as it drops. Executed properly, it seems to work. Executed badly, you either slam into the gate or you're off the mark just behind everybody else.

Doesn't stop me from fat-fingering on the turns and DQing myself... The PvP race is more unforgiving about the boundaries. DQ'd 2 out of 3 so far. :D
  • ruffiansevenruffianseven Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    My method: If I sprint using the shift and "w" key the straight portions of the course and hit the space button and stop completely at the corners and then hit shift to sprint again straight I am winning every time now. Not a huge gap especially with the spider NPC but still winning. I just stay as calm as possible. Thanks again for this thread.
    hawku001x wrote: »

Hey! We had a deal, zed. A deal.
    We still have a deal, Hawk. After I learn how to do this, I promise I'll go back to being completely inept at it.

:: one hand up, one over heart ::

Promise.

If it makes you feel better, I should tell you that I sometimes "race" behind other Captains after I finally complete my Daily for the day (for practice) and when I slip too far to one side of the track, I imagine the crowd's boos in my head and then I cry a little. :'(
    Ha-Ha. I just started a run on one of my other Captains and I screwed up almost immediately, then turned right around to run back to the starting line, and after going past the runner I bounced into the Breen racer. I did not know that you could slow them down.

New idea for really bad racers... Gets some friends to help you. I know that you can throw snowballs at them (and players) and that is supposed to slow/trip them up. :smiley:

Help a friend. Smack a Breen in the face with a few snowballs. They deserve it anyway. :p
    Ha-Ha. I just started a run on one of my other Captains and I screwed up almost immediately, then turned right around to run back to the starting line, and after going past the runner I bounced into the Breen racer. I did not know that you could slow them down.

New idea for really bad racers... Gets some friends to help you. I know that you can throw snowballs at them (and players) and that is supposed to slow/trip them up. :smiley:

Help a friend. Smack a Breen in the face with a few snowballs. They deserve it anyway. :p
    Hehe. Hmm... I may have heard of that before.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • fu11ofstarsfu11ofstars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Hi all. This is a great thread and I wanted to contribute something too it.

For the last several years, I've always used the method of running and drifting through corners. I've now got a pretty good idea where I can cut without getting disqualified. I never jump or roll.

But I recently tried something that might be helpful for people who find it hard to manage the twitchy aspects of the race.

I ran it as a snowman. I've only done it once, but I was able to beat the NPC (I think it was a Jackal Mastiff). The thing is that there was very little drifting and no jumping or rolling. I just had to go at full speed and cut the corners I could, which is a matter of getting to know the course rather than smashing the right button at the right time. It slowed things down a lot, and for people more comfortable with that it might be a viable option.

I don't know if it will work against other NPCs. I also used the Frosted Boots, but I don't know for sure that they increased by speed. I'd guess so, since they did make me slip a little more.

Anyway, just a thought for people who might like to see the pace of everything dialed back a little bit. It was also a much closer race, but also more fun for that reason.​​
    As a general rule, the smaller NPCs are faster. So the big Talarian spider? med. The tiny Glikarma ice spider? Yeah... worry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • fu11ofstarsfu11ofstars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Just a quick update. I was able to beat an ice spider as a snowman (again with the Frosted Boots). The headstart you can get at the beginning was crucial. We were also pretty neck-and-neck (or, I'm not sure, since snowmen and spiders don't have necks) up until the last couple of turns, when I was able to pull ahead.

Again, just thinking this is an option for those wanting a race more based on knowledge of the course than quick reflexes.​​
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    i dont have any issue with any spieces for race challengers, ice spider seem easy to beat, i have seen breen racer can get pretty close often.

now i just saw vid on ice racing, yeah, i have been using snowbanks alot since first Q's winterland, it helps with tractons, as the vid said, aim for next snowbanks so you can have almost a longer straight lines much you can get, with a few crooked run lines. it takes 3-4 days to get better and almost run flawless after getting used and memorized some dangerous curves.
    Yeah, the snow banks are why I don't use the boots. If you have the boots active you can't get traction on the banks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I failed today before I even got onto the track. LOL

See, Hawku, I'm so inept, the game failed me BEFORE I had the chance to try. And man, those boos really hurt my feelings. :'(
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    One thing I believe may not yet have been raised up here is that different species seem to slide a bit differently. For instance my Gorn has always felt like he slides much less than say my Ferasan.

Of course I have never been able to really prove that, same as I haven't been able to prove the race is done faster with frosted boots in the last couple years. But, my advice is this: Same as different creatures Q can turn you into run differently, perhaps even different chars on your account will behave slightly differently. And even a slight difference might be enough for you to finally 'get the hang of it'.

(As for me, I sprint all the way, sometimes with Frosted boots, sometimes without. When I TRIBBLE up and risk sliding of the track, I roll.)

EDIT: Oh, one more thing: Try to use frosted boots everywhere (ESD, Qo'nos, missions in between fights, ...), it might help you get used to sliding.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    Yeah, most races seem to use the same sliding value, most....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I failed today before I even got onto the track. LOL

See, Hawku, I'm so inept, the game failed me BEFORE I had the chance to try. And man, those boos really hurt my feelings. :'(

I got one of those, right as I was waving to start the race, then boos. So many boos.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    I run in shooter mode. As in hit "B", sprint the straightaways, and leap/hop to brake for turning (though watch your momentum).
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • ishigawa1ishigawa1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Okay, for those who're STILL not winning, here's what I've found to give me an easy win 100% of the time:

1) Get the Frosted Boots. In the race, you drift regardless, but the Frosted Boots give you an increased Sprint Speed, which helps when going full-tilt. Your drift rate and time doesn't increase when you're on the track, so it's nothing but a gain for you.

2) Speaking of, you want to try and sprint the entire race if possible. If you do, I've found that even the fastest opponents will get left in the dust.

3) You don't have to keep completely inside the lines. Close, but not fully inside. There are corners that you can cut, shaving off precious seconds that you can then use to continue to widen your gap. Test as many as you want to see what works and what doesn't.

4) When sliding, you can orient your character so that he/she is facing the direction you want to sprint next, then do the roll, halt your momentum, and immediately begin sprinting again. Once again shaves a few seconds off.

5) When you reach the Finish Line, spam the F button.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    ishigawa1 wrote: »

5) When you reach the Finish Line, spam the F button.

F button not required for the PvE race. Its just cross before the NPC. The F button is for grabbing the flag at the end of the PvP race.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited December 2015
    If Frosted Boots allowed us to ice skate on the track as it does on the lake, I'd use them, but they only caused me to lose the race more often. That said...

It doesn't hurt to try them and see if they help. If you find them to be too slippery ( as I did ), you can always turn them off, or take them off, and go back to racing without them.
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    @zedbrightlander1
    I actually find the frosted boots help make drifting the track easier. You don't even need the mini bunny hops if you're good with the boost, just drift every corner.

But I can do it either way. This was the first year I actually tried the boots out in the PvE race, I thought it would make the race more difficult.
    But I was pretty blown away when I "Tokyo Drifted" the whole darn thing lol.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I'd like to witness some of these failed attempts, because I haven't failed it yet this year, and I rarely play sober. I have to wonder if some people aren't making it harder than it needs to be..