test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Guide to Fastest Game on Ice

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Its possible they're overcompensating for the sliding or are using the mouse and they're not used to it. I run it with the keyboard myself.

Friendly reminder to all: Lots of tips on page 1 as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (maybe OP could edit 1st post with all collated tips?)

But some ground weapons have a [Run] mod, which boost run speed by 15%. Two rep traits (delta and terran) boost run speed by 5% and 3% respectively each. Not sure is these 3 work in winter wonderland (as there is a pvp race there) but its worth a look imo.

Really nice thread though, thanks OP (-:
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
    I think someone mentioned the [run] mod on page one already. I know we had a bit of a discussion on if it counted or not.

And you're welcome.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I was directed to this thread and I'm not positive as to why. Q's Winter Wonderland is one of 3 maps in which I encounter crushing amounts of rubberbanding and "Server Not Responding"-style lag spikes, making completing the course practically impossible. After a few people climbed into the thread and dropped the classic "your hardware/network must be the problem" while I slept, a mod cordially linked this thread and closed mine. I was assuming this offered some type of advice on how to negotiate these issues, but this seems to me to be more like a general FAQ under ideal conditions.

Did I just get "It's not a bug, it's a feature"d?
    No... I think it was just bad luck.

I'm sorry if you're having problems, but unfortunately I don't know if I or any of the veterans can help with rubberbanding. In your case... I hate to say this but... if this rubberbanding/SNR issue continues the only way to get the the prize ship for this year would be to get Lobi and spend them to get the event token things to get the ship.

Wish I could help.
    edited December 2015
    If the Breen ships had the right seating, or looked better (subjectively speaking) - and if I hadn't just dropped dollars for a Jupiter already, I might have considered that, but this would more or less just be for the Admiralty card, which I'm filing way down in the "free or forget it" pile.

Edit: I'm bridge station picky. Jupiter is so close I can taste victory.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Are you sure it's not graphical lag? I get a fair bit of that in QWW.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2015
    Nope, the frame-rate is quite satisfactory. It's Q's Winter Wonderland, the new Badlands (which is much worse x.x), and Crystalline Cataclysm (which has improved a whole lot lately)... those are the ones that hurt me so.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Lots of good advice on page 1 ! ! !

That being said ..... I don't understand why some people seem to think you absolutely MUST practice, practice, practice until you can sprint/drift the entire thing, setting some kind of ice speed record.

The point of the race is one thing and one thing only, winning so you get the rewards and can get the ship. A player that crosses the line one single hair (ok, pixel) ahead of the NPC gets the exact same reward as the player who crosses the finish before the NPC gets past the first turn.

For those, like me, who have real life things to deal with and don't have the time to spend hours upon hours practicing drifting here's my advice. Use the bunny hop and or roll. Personally I think the hop is easier as you only have one key to worry about, compared to the three or even four keys used to roll in the various directions. Aim yourself in as straight of a line as possible (see the map on page one) sprint until you get to a turn. As you hit the turn, let off of the forward key and jump. You will hit the ground at a dead stop, then you turn to face the next straightest line you can get and sprint till the next turn. Although I can't say that I have raced every possible opponent as I quit paying attention to my opponent after finally winning my first race, I have yet to lose a race using the hop method. I have forgotten to let off of the forward key when jumping a couple of times and got disqualified but I haven't lost yet.

And yes, I got the exact same reward as those individuals who spent hours practicing until they sprint/drift the entire course, but my practice consisted of 5 races, getting disqualified every time, two races trying the roll method after seeing it mentioned in chat, both again disqualifications due to my fumble fingered lack of coordination in rolling, and one more race trying the hop ..... and forgetting to hop ..... again sliding off the track and getting disqualified. I won race number 9 using the hop, and now three toons and 6 days later, starting with that first win I am at 18 wins and two losses (by disqualification).

Are you going to look smooth and cool running the race ? Not a chance.
    Are you going to leave your NPC opponent so far behind it's laughable ? Nope.
    Are you going to be able to brag about how fast you can run the course ? Naahhh.

Are you going to end up getting that exact same ship as the people who spent countless hours practicing drifting the course, leaving their opponent way behind, and bragging about their skills in a forum thread designed to give people help on managing to finally start winning the race? You betcha.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    To be fair, I don't think the "You need to practice" comments are aimed at improving your time in the race, they are aimed at those who come to this thread (of create their own threads) saying that they are simply unable to complete the race. The advice in this thread is so varied: jump, roll, cut corners, speed boosts, whatever else. The only consistent thing to apply to any of these is "practice." You can't be certain that any of these methods, in whatever combination, will succeed in one try, in fact people will need to... practice.

Practicing these methods to be faster DOES help in the PvP race, however. Last night, I won that race for the first time!! (Not counting that time last year that I was the only one running, and still almost got nothing by almost falling off the track.) Place second a couple times, too. I'm starting to think about how many tags I need before I have enough to do projects for the rest of the event in peace. I suppose I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched, eh?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    To be fair, I don't think the "You need to practice" comments are aimed at improving your time in the race, they are aimed at those who come to this thread (of create their own threads) saying that they are simply unable to complete the race. The advice in this thread is so varied: jump, roll, cut corners, speed boosts, whatever else. The only consistent thing to apply to any of these is "practice." You can't be certain that any of these methods, in whatever combination, will succeed in one try, in fact people will need to... practice.

Practicing these methods to be faster DOES help in the PvP race, however. Last night, I won that race for the first time!! (Not counting that time last year that I was the only one running, and still almost got nothing by almost falling off the track.) Place second a couple times, too. I'm starting to think about how many tags I need before I have enough to do projects for the rest of the event in peace. I suppose I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched, eh?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »
    {snip}

Are you going to look smooth and cool running the race ? Not a chance.
    Are you going to leave your NPC opponent so far behind it's laughable ? Nope.
    Are you going to be able to brag about how fast you can run the course ? Naahhh.

Are you going to end up getting that exact same ship as the people who spent countless hours practicing drifting the course, leaving their opponent way behind, and bragging about their skills in a forum thread designed to give people help on managing to finally start winning the race? You betcha.

Actually, I doubt most of the people in this thread (or any of the others) try drifting through the entire course. I certainly don't.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Finishing before the other runner is the only measure that counts as far as the reward is concerned.

Perhaps you've seen a Ferengi stumbling around the course, flapping his arms like a "dying duck"? That's my guy :smiley:

Still, practicing the run helps make sure you come in ahead of the other runner, whether you're hopping through the whole track or attempting to drift your way through on frosted boots.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • yltylt Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The way i do it is to keep running forward while almost continuously jumping on the snowpatches.
    I got the fastest times that way instead of drifting/rolling/jumpstopping. I'll try to make a clip to demonstrate.

Clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8HZIJNQk0
    Post edited by ylt on
  • calescocalesco Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    ylt wrote: »
    The way i do it is to keep running forward while almost continuously jumping on the snowpatches.
    I got the fastest times that way instead of drifting/rolling/jumpstopping. I'll try to make a clip to demonstrate.

Clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8HZIJNQk0

You do the race quite fast, but for winning the game you dont even need to run, jogging is enough.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Nope, the frame-rate is quite satisfactory. It's Q's Winter Wonderland, the new Badlands (which is much worse x.x), and Crystalline Cataclysm (which has improved a whole lot lately)... those are the ones that hurt me so.

I used to have this issue as well, on my old computer. The work around I used was before going into an area that caused the lag go into options and set them to the lowest level. It wasn't perfect, and the graphics suffered, but it did help.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • ageroth1ageroth1 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Another piece of advice: let Q change the way you look. This might be placebo, but I found the course much easier flying it as a Fek'Ihri than running it.

Also don't spam the start counter when multiple players are there. If you are the first to spam it, you will start the race off the track, thus an instant disqualification, thus having to pick it up again.

Other than that: don't panic, you got infinite runs.

The most important thing to remember at the lineup really needs to be: "Wait your turn."
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    ageroth1 wrote: »
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Another piece of advice: let Q change the way you look. This might be placebo, but I found the course much easier flying it as a Fek'Ihri than running it.

Also don't spam the start counter when multiple players are there. If you are the first to spam it, you will start the race off the track, thus an instant disqualification, thus having to pick it up again.

Other than that: don't panic, you got infinite runs.

The most important thing to remember at the lineup really needs to be: "Wait your turn."

Patience, a concept lost to most MMO players sadly.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    My old computer at home lagged like all get out. Thing that helped was to find the instance with the least amount of people, drop all video as low as possible, and not have any buffs running. Scored a newer computer and it is a lot easier now. With a laggy connection/computer you have to be patient and try at times with a low number of people. I still failed most of the runs on my old compy but at least I could retry immediately.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Running the ice game well over 100 attempts over the past few years since it became an addition and i know every point in the track, where to be fast, where to be slow, how much to cut and by how much to a point, when to reverse run by running the opposite direction until some ofthe speed is gone just enough for you to change direction in running without stopping...

The first straight and few corners leading to the big long uphill sweeper, these corners are easy to do, when you approach turn 1, hug the inside line and sort of straighline through turn 1, you can cut off about 2meters off track which should give you enough speed to head at the inside of turn 2, when you are about half way across the ice and pointed at the snow just inside turn 2, reverse run a little, the terrain itself will wash off some of the speed by itself, again you can cut off upto 2 meters here, the next corner is sharp and you have to run into the inside of turn 3 on the snow on the banking, not over the top, there you will kill your speed with a little reverse running about quarter of the way before you hit turn 3. if you do not hit it right, you will end up out of position.

next is the long sweeping turn and the most southern point of the track, when you enter into this corner from turn 3, aim for the inside line and reverse run about half way between the corners, when you are fairly slow make sure you overshoot a little as hugging the inside going up actually makes you a little slower, when you overshoot you get a slingshot that can catapult you up the hill, keep hugging the inside line you can cross behind one of the track beacons but not by much.

the next section the small kink corner, the hairpins and another kink before the bridge.
    after you completed the long sweeping corner, you are faced with a downhill challenge at speed to get around a small mount of snow directly in your path (to your left is the ice lake at this point), the best way to keep speed here is either hug the inside line and then turn in early so you can straightline to the hairpin, or enter early and lose some speed from counter running so you dont hit the snow mound directly on the left of the track should the natural momentum take you there. (There is a cheat here that can knock off a number of second from your run without it being called a fail, it was not removed and has been in all the previous ice races in previous years, bassically half way up the blue line from the map on the op on southern east most line, just between the two trees just above the line, you slow down a bit you can run over the snow mound here and be perfectly placed for the jutting out ice on the inside of the second chicane overlooking the ice lake next to the raised sitting area) but should you decide to not cheat however, run the rest of the way until you are about 5 meters from the chican turn, hug the inside as you run over the lumpy terrain, by running over it, it will automatically kill some speed for you, if you hit it right, you can instantly start running for the second chicane, hug the outside line on the apporach to the second chicane, slow down a bit and aim for the inside jutting out ice, run over it if you can to kill your speed, if you hit it right you canhug the outside line on the way out and cut the kink as you run under the bridge. if not, then slow your speed enough otherwise the adverse camber may carry your toon off the track and on the ice lake.

past the bridge, a small hairpin, fairly tall snow mounds now occupy the latter half of the track after the hairpin, the next few corners are simple. as you are running from the kink, under and past the bridge aim immediately for the inside where there is a fairly large jugging of snow and ice, be sure to run over this to kill a lot of speed, you only need to reverse run when you are on the jutting ice on the inside, try to take as much as you can, just a little outside the track beacon on the snow. as you exit as you still had enough momentum to carry back on the ice, aim for the base inside of the nearest mount on the track as it will carry you to the base of the next one on the outside for the next corner, this one can be cut by about halfway up the side, you can jump on and around it to straightline the next corner somewhat, or you can run for it, but be ware, these corners will not require great speed or you risk running of and up the mounds and DQ, so you are on the outside next to the mount, start reverse running and aim for the inside of the turn, try hug it as the next corner is fairly immediate, at this point you are on the outside, now aim for the inside of the next turn and try keep near the inside of this mound.

at this point you are nearing the end, there is a deceptive set of corners coming up and the straight to the finish line.
    Bassically at this point you run to the inside of the base of thenext mound of snow, keep hugging it until it starts turning, the next corner is a fairly small snow mound, the ice track runs around it, this bit can be deceptive and there are a number of ways to get around this corner, the first is heading for a mid point in the ice and then reverse running and aiming for the inside snow to straight line to the prenultimate corner. or you can keep hugging the snowline at the edge of the track on the outside, slow down a bit and slingshot across the snow (mind your positioning here as you can still get DQ for excessive track cutting) or you can aim for the inside on the snow and wash some speed on the way around to it and start building some speed. finally you can decide to slowly run around it, staying on the ice, in any event it leads to the prenultimate corner and you need to be near the outside of the next turn. you should be nearly under the gazebo at this point, as you approach the corner, kill some speed and aim for the inside of the tall snow mound and let it carry you to the snow mound that leads to the final corner, stay about a quarter on the way on the mound next to the track and you may still need to kill a little speed, if you go it done correctly, you should be on the mounds edge on the way out of the inside corner, from here, bolt it across the finish line but avoid the posts in the ground.

if you tl;dr, thats not my problem in the end. it is farily easy to do. 1:49 is my personal best.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    ageroth1 wrote: »

OH MY GOD YES. These self-absorbed children need to learn how to queue, even when nothing physically forces them to do so. A little common frigging courtesy goes a long way.

• borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Continuous run and 12 jumps. At least 1/3 of track distance ahead of pet.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Running all the time until a bunch of corners when I double tap 'W' and roll for a break.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Rolling may be even more efficient than jumping. I'll have to test.
    If you are wearing the CC armor, rolling gives you a speed boost, jumping does not.
    Tested; rolling needs too much recovery time. I'll stick to the 12 jumps.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well to me it doesn't matter. I am comfortable doing the Rolls and since I started using it haven't lost once. I get the result I am looking for.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Tested; rolling needs too much recovery time. I'll stick to the 12 jumps.

If it works for you, great. For me jump was impossible to ever win the PvE race with as I can't (yet?) apply it correctly. In essence, I roll instead.

I kind of train "my muscles"/hand's and fingers' position to constantly run through the course of the road (from the ASDF group, I only use W! but I do try to run), even though sometimes I seem to have to switch to other position temporarily, stir with mouse, ww to roll when facing the right direction by the mouse when you need to stop to not fall out of the track (or when almost hitting the wall, still trying to preserve the facing to the right direction), try not to delay, after more than 40 loses at 1st, now I almost always win. Though each such a win is almost a lose mostly, it still counts toward the ship :) No boots etc. It won't help me. Cutting a bit of corners, (sometimes by accident) not too much too. (the game is a bit forgiving, but you shouldn't really get out of track. You have to practice to know your timing and what which works here too.)

PRACTICE for PvE - not to win others, but to find and refine the style which allows YOU to win at your own pace and get your ship.

P.S.
    Despite the advice to practice I add another no less important advice: rest when needed/between (multiple) tries. This helps too. If you have server not responding/"lag" etc, try other time if you can wait (or ofc solve the issue if it's in your side)

Since it's late already, I add - the cooldown of this daily is 20 hours. You need 25 dailies done for a free ship.
    One observation I've made this year is that they seem to have changed the boundaries to be easier. More specifically, That turn just after the halfway point, you can cut across the snow, last year you'd get DQed for it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    One observation I've made this year is that they seem to have changed the boundaries to be easier. More specifically, That turn just after the halfway point, you can cut across the snow, last year you'd get DQed for it.

I'm almost sure of that as well. Some corners nearish the end (not meaning the very last, very fast 3 turns) let you run basically next to the course the whole time.

This WW, I only managed to get myself disqualified (repeatedly) one night I got really drunk. Other mistakes, slow reactions or lag went unpunished.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    toiva wrote: »
    I'm almost sure of that as well. Some corners nearish the end (not meaning the very last, very fast 3 turns) let you run basically next to the course the whole time.

This WW, I only managed to get myself disqualified (repeatedly) one night I got really drunk. Other mistakes, slow reactions or lag went unpunished.
    I've gotten DQs due to severe lag. Turn into a curve... lag says I went straight. But this is the sort of lag spike that makes your character move several meters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing