test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing the Admiralty System

Comments

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned, since obviously C-store, lockbox and lobi ships will be way better than free ships, and you need to buy ship slots to get more ships, this admiralty system can become a new quality gap between freebies and premiums if the rewards are good enough.

It does, and it doesn't.

So long you you keep one Ship Slot available, you can claim and dismiss all of your available C-Store and Event Ships in order to unlock the appropriate Admiralty Ships (aka Ship Cards). Each character has to do this, but you never lose Admiralty Ships by dismissing the actual one. Otherwise... yes, the improved performance of pay ships is the monetization mechanic at work here, though since pay ships have always outperformed freebies even in practical use this isn't a new mechanic so much as reinforcing an old one.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    ugh, so um, ah, another way to get us to buy new expensive ships and more ship slots?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »
    deleroux wrote: »
    Oh look, another passive, interface-driven, time-gated iteration of the Doff system, with seemingly more p2w.

How thrilling.

Don't see how it's pay to win (p2w), unless you're talking about the fact that there are certain ships that will be hard to obtain (lock box/lobi/promotional) just because you can't get them cheaply. There's nothing that states that those type ships will be better than say ships you can obtain without paying an arm or or a leg for.

Nobody can truly be as naive as you seem to be right now.

pay 2 win in my opinion is only valid if we were competing with each other in this system, which we're not. The only thing the pay 2 win ships would bring are a higher chance of getting better rewards. I'm not naive about that.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    scarling wrote: »
    ugh, so um, ah, another way to get us to buy new expensive ships and more ship slots?

Basically, and all under the guise of another minimally interactive, single-player, skill-less grind by the looks of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it leads to some degree of power creep, as well.

I'm also sure we'll end up seeing c-store Admiralty perks, too, just as we saw with the doff system (lockbox doffs, more doff slots, etc.).

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I expected when they first announced this. I hate being right sometimes.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Nice to see a T6 Dread coming out in the future. I hope they fix some of the graphic issues.

I'm not too impressed with this new system.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I suppose it depends on whether event ships are "good." If so then there is really little complaint.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• shineshadowshineshadow Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Is there any possibility that we'll be able to name these ships? "Mirror Ha'feh Assault Warbird" as the name of a ship I'm dispatching is long, cumbersome and impersonal.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Oh, sounds like a pretty neat little sub-game to play.

I look forward to seeing it and playing the Federation campaigns.
    Is there any possibility that we'll be able to name these ships? "Mirror Ha'feh Assault Warbird" as the name of a ship I'm dispatching is long, cumbersome and impersonal.

I don't think so. The only ships that will get names are Epic quality ships (such as the Enterprise-F).

• carkorakcarkorak Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    well... alot of us figured it would be a knock off of neverwinters system and we werent wrong, at first glance i have to say im a tad bit disapppointed, but at the same time not because we all knew this is what it would be, i think i speak for a large part of the community when i say we want to be able to COMMAND our ships while we fly through space and foundry missions... now with that being said, i am looking forward to giving it a try to see if its better then neverwinters system, so heres to moderate expectations
    My Current Projects

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?483971-The-Minotaur-War-NW-DUUY8MZZ7

Item Farm:NW-DU5W8YQA8
    Prologue:NW-DUUY8MZZ7
    Chapter 1:NW-DN3TPGR4Q
    Chapter 2:NW-DDLCTYT8Q
  • djkbluedjkblue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    ynrocjd wrote: »
    T6 Gal-X (official) confirmed - 2nd picture ^^

HELL YESSS!!!!!!!!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    I also noticed that the only outcomes are either success or critical success.

Too bad, I wanted more funny failure info, like your red shirts ending up crippling the ship by trying to review reports, or nearly causing a new war by accidentally insulting a new species with the captain putting her hands on her hips.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Space Doffing!
    Is it just me or does that sound dirty? :o

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • bfelczerbfelczer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    2 Qs:

1) Can you pay dilithium to speed up the process? If not, is there a monetization component to the system other than buying ships?
    2) The Jem'Hadar Strike and Recon get separate A-Ships, correct?

Thanks!
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    bfelczer wrote: »
    1) Can you pay dilithium to speed up the process? If not, is there a monetization component to the system other than buying ships?
    2) The Jem'Hadar Strike and Recon get separate A-Ships, correct?

1) We're planning for the ability to buy out of Maintenance, after your ships have completed an assignment, using Dilithium. (Note, this may not be in place if the system appears on Tribble in the next day or two.)

2) Yes, these are two separate Admiralty Ships.

Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Borticus, appreciate your responsiveness on this thread.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User

I don't think so. The only ships that will get names are Epic quality ships (such as the Enterprise-F).

Which is a huge crock.
    To me, *my* ships are as iconic as the U.S.S. Toilet Enterprise-F and deserve to be named rather than generic fodder.
    Ah but this Admiralty system has been a huge disappointment ever since the initial press release outright lied about it.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Will this system allow us to reclaim Fleet ships? Something we should have been able to do from day one.
  • danpmkdanpmk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I know this isn't really the best thread for suggestions, but I have a nice idea for shuttles:

One thing we lost in STO in the last several updates was places to buy discounted commodities. Memory Alpha is gone, the Sirius and Regulus trade freighters are gone, etc. it is really unfortunate, especially for Klingons since they don't have access to Andoria and Vulcan. Perhaps shuttles can be used in the admiralty system as a way to do that and other busywork errands.

For example, there can be shuttle admiralty systems to buy a stack of a commodity, 250 of them, at the discounted price. The first 10 commodities normally, and if you are in a fleet that has the New Romulus embassy commodity discount console, it unlocks shuttle admiralty missions to buy those as well. The missions wouldn't offer as deep a discount as the occasional doff mission, but it would still be a nice convenience. Perhaps they would even automatically deposit the commodities to your bank if you have a free slot open!

"Send shuttle to Vulcan to obtain Medical Supplies"
    "Send shuttle to pick up Self Sealing Stem Bolts from Fleet Embassy"

Another idea would be a daily shuttle admiralty mission to remotely turn in Contraband and Tribble Carcasses for you in bulk. I would love a 24-hour mission that consumes 15 Contraband and gives 6000 Dilithium, for example.
    It is corporeal.
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    Will this system allow us to reclaim Fleet ships? Something we should have been able to do from day one.

No it won't. This system is designed to act like the Doff system except its with our ships. You can gain Admirality Ships from ships you own but you can't get ships from Admirality ships.

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    honestly, would have loved to have a permanent companion type ship instead
    Go pro or go home
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    carkorak wrote: »
    well... alot of us figured it would be a knock off of neverwinters system and we werent wrong, at first glance i have to say im a tad bit disapppointed, but at the same time not because we all knew this is what it would be, i think i speak for a large part of the community when i say we want to be able to COMMAND our ships while we fly through space and foundry missions... now with that being said, i am looking forward to giving it a try to see if its better then neverwinters system, so heres to moderate expectations

actually, it's far more of a knockoff of star trek timeline's mini mission system than anything from neverwinter, particularly the bit where each mission has a score requirement for each career type and you need to slot ships whose scores exceed those to have a chance at completing the mission successfully​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It looks acceptable as a new system. I could easily see this tying to a potential exploration system, if done right. But I have some concerns with the Admirality System:

• 1) How is this going to play out for those who are casual players and only have like one Free Event ship and the Lower Tier C-store ships that were previously given away? Will they be at a disadvantage compared to someone who has 10 Lockbox ships?
    • 2) How is Ship Rarity going to play out? Is it like the DOFF system where Rarity boosts rewards?
      (I.E. Some people might see this as a ploy to encourage more "gambling" to get Lockbox Ships).
    • 3) Will there be Mission Failures like the DOFF system?
    • 4) Will longer missions reward more like the DOFF system?
    • 5) Why not create a Card Collect Button in the C-store or the Shipyard than having people dismiss / collect ships just for the card? Given previous DOFF / Server lag problems, surely thousands of players collecting / dismissing ships will cause server problems in the first days of Season 11 going live.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    So fleet ships have their own separate class.

You honestly expect players to buy fleet ship modules to get fleet ships they don't want for the admirality token then discharge the ships they don't want to keep?

It wouldn't be so bad if fleet ships were permanent unlocks, at least for each character you buy the ship with, letting us reclaim the ship at no cost. As it is, if you discharge a fleet ship you have to get fleet ship modules and buy it all over again. Some players may buy fleet ships to get the admirality token, then discharge the ship and later think they might actually want to try the ship out, only to find they have to pay for it all over again.
  • stevvi11stevvi11 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I think it would be cool if they added the ability to put other officers in charge of these missions as well as the ships. I know we all have officers that are on standby that we use ever once in a while. I think it would be a good modifier for Tac/Eng/Sci assignments.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Do we have a cap on number of A-ships?

We've not seen a reason to place a limit on the size of your Admiralty Ship roster.

(Well, technically, I think there is a limit. But it's probably some crazy number like 9,999. Good luck reaching that.)

Oh I don't know, with the rate you're releasing new ships, it could be this time next year...

Challenge accepted. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited September 2015
    suaveks wrote: »
    How exactly are those admirality ships claimed? Do we have to claim all the playable C-Store ships we own one by one to our ship roster to get the admirality ship card, or will those be available to us automatically? Because I can't imagine claiming and discharging all the C-Store ships I own on all my alts just to get the cards...

If the ship isn't commissioned, the Admiralty System has no way of knowing you have access. You'll have to claim (and dismiss, if you like) the ships, to get the A-Ships.
    Are the admirality ships claimable per character, or per account? For example, if I own a Fleet, Mirror, or Lockbox ship on one character, will I be able to get the admirality ship on another?

Again, this all comes down to the ships commissioned. Regardless if they are account-wide, or character-bound.
    Will admirality ship cards be trade'able? Or, are there plans to release admirality ship cards that are not tied with a playable ship (like the Tier 10 Epic reward)?

No. Admiralty Ships cannot be traded.

There are some 1x-use ships in the system (seen in the first UI picture with the "(1x)" in its name) ... those may end up being tradeable. But not the standard A-Ships you have access to.
    Are ships assigned automatically to any given assignment, like doffs, or do we have to assign them individually ourselves?

Nope. Each choice in this system is far more meaningful than it is with Doffs, since you have limited slots, more variables, and more interlocking pieces that can contribute to success. We want you to think about this stuff when taking an Assignment on.
    Will shuttles have an admirality card?

Not at launch of S11, but we've been discussing the best way(s) to incorporate them at a later date.
    Are T5 and T5U considered to be the same admirality ship? What about Bundle ships (like, Eng Vesta and Tac Vesta)?

T5 and T5U are technically the same Class, so you don't get an additional A-Ship by upgrading.

Bundle ships are each separate however, and each ship within a bundle will typically reward its own A-Ship.
    Will Romulans have access to T1-T4 admirality ships of their allies?

If they have commissioned those ships, then yes.
    KDF and ROM are clearly at a disadvantage when it comes to the number of T6 ships, when compared to the FEDs. This is especially the case when it comes to Science ships. Can we hope this will be addressed in the future so that the factions will have similar chances at different assignments?

Due to the small number of Assignment slots you can have - 8 max - and the fact that every Assignment only takes 3 ships max, the highest number of ships you can ever need is 24. Even when taking Maintenance into account, the overall number of ships required to participate in this system remains fairly low. We honestly designed it to be engaging even for players with as few as ~12 ships in their roster.

So, even though this disparity in number of ships options exists, in the end it won't result in an imbalance of opportunity.
    How will the system is planned to be monetized, aside from the ships themselves?

That's actually it, for now. We don't have immediate plans for direct monetization (such as selling A-Ships separately, or anything), only indirect.

So we'll need a minimum of 12 ships to participate?

Well then, new players, and players who haven't purchased/earned any ships yet, are completely screwed. Edit: Sure, they can do the the 1 assignment, if available, that only needs 1 ship, and if they still have any free ships they got from leveling up it could help a bit. But it seems to scream "buy more ships!", so it's basically already monetized.

Any chance players can get a compliment of low quality ships to get them started? When we unlock the duty officer system we get a compliment of 20 free doffs, mostly of white quality. When we unlock the R&D system we get a compliment of white quality emergency R&D doffs to get us started. So why not the admirality system?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    How exactly are those admirality ships claimed? Do we have to claim all the playable C-Store ships we own one by one to our ship roster to get the admirality ship card, or will those be available to us automatically? Because I can't imagine claiming and discharging all the C-Store ships I own on all my alts just to get the cards...

If the ship isn't commissioned, the Admiralty System has no way of knowing you have access. You'll have to claim (and dismiss, if you like) the ships, to get the A-Ships.
    Are the admirality ships claimable per character, or per account? For example, if I own a Fleet, Mirror, or Lockbox ship on one character, will I be able to get the admirality ship on another?

Again, this all comes down to the ships commissioned. Regardless if they are account-wide, or character-bound.
    Will admirality ship cards be trade'able? Or, are there plans to release admirality ship cards that are not tied with a playable ship (like the Tier 10 Epic reward)?

There are some 1x-use ships in the system (seen in the first UI picture with the "(1x)" in its name) ... those may end up being tradeable. But not the standard A-Ships you have access to.
    Are ships assigned automatically to any given assignment, like doffs, or do we have to assign them individually ourselves?

Nope. Each choice in this system is far more meaningful than it is with Doffs, since you have limited slots, more variables, and more interlocking pieces that can contribute to success. We want you to think about this stuff when taking an Assignment on.

Not at launch of S11, but we've been discussing the best way(s) to incorporate them at a later date.
    Are T5 and T5U considered to be the same admirality ship? What about Bundle ships (like, Eng Vesta and Tac Vesta)?

T5 and T5U are technically the same Class, so you don't get an additional A-Ship by upgrading.

Bundle ships are each separate however, and each ship within a bundle will typically reward its own A-Ship.

KDF and ROM are clearly at a disadvantage when it comes to the number of T6 ships, when compared to the FEDs. This is especially the case when it comes to Science ships. Can we hope this will be addressed in the future so that the factions will have similar chances at different assignments?

Due to the small number of Assignment slots you can have - 8 max - and the fact that every Assignment only takes 3 ships max, the highest number of ships you can ever need is 24. Even when taking Maintenance into account, the overall number of ships required to participate in this system remains fairly low. We honestly designed it to be engaging even for players with as few as ~12 ships in their roster.

So, even though this disparity in number of ships options exists, in the end it won't result in an imbalance of opportunity.
    How will the system is planned to be monetized, aside from the ships themselves?

That's actually it, for now. We don't have immediate plans for direct monetization (such as selling A-Ships separately, or anything), only indirect.

Well then, new players, and players who haven't purchased/earned any ships yet, are completely screwed.

Any chance players can get a compliment of low quality ships to get them started? When we unlock the duty officer system we get a compliment of 20 free doffs, mostly of white quality. When we unlock the R&D system we get a compliment of white quality emergency R&D doffs to get us started. So why not the admirality system?
    well, if the admiralty system includes ships gained from leveling, that's already 5/12 taken care of​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    One of the big questions I had before this post was whether sending our ships on Admiralty missions would lock us out from switching to the ships that are sent until the mission is over. But since the cards don't have the names we give them, just ship types, it looks like that won't matter. (I guess, chose not to switch to those sent ships, if you want to role play.)

Will both the Federation and Klingon campaigns be unlocked automatically for all characters upon reaching the proper rank, or will the opposite faction be locked out until the player has gotten to the point in the story where peace is achieved? In general, are you thinking of releasing future Campaigns automatically or requiring, in some cases, story-related missions to be completed before opening them up?

A neat thing in the future would be to have super short mini-missions be accessible after completing a Campaign or Tour of Duty, something limited to one map like the old First Contact missions. I do miss First Contact. A simple logic puzzle in the Federation/KDF/Romulan conference room or at most something as long as "Hearts in Minds," though even that might be too long to be worth making. Having a set conference room map might make such things manageable. (Maybe ZeroniousRex could get a mini-mission at the end of a Delta Quadrant chain where you get a Janeway/Paris descended salamander pet, like she's always dreamed.) It would even be neat, in the future, to have certain Admiralty missions unlock related Doff missions, too.

Well then, new players, and players who haven't purchased/earned any ships yet, are completely screwed.

well, if the admiralty system includes ships gained from leveling, that's already 5/12 taken care of​​

I said *if* players still have their free ships when leveling up. Some players may discharge them when they get a new ship because the old ships aren't as good. So if you discharge all lower tiered free ships while leveling up, you'll only have 1 ship by the time you reach level 40. Sure you can pay dilithium to purchase the free ships you can choose while leveling up, but it becomes very costly, especially since the free tier 5 ships cost 120k dil.