test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing the Admiralty System

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm enjoying this very much. But then I'm a doffing fan as well. From what I can see, especially when you open up more mission slots this will take a tremendous amount of ship. Part of the problem is that my first character long ago dismissed all the lower tier ships due to lack of space. I managed 20 ships but even with 3 slots this is not enough. I would say that you'll want maybe 50-60 ships to do this hardcore.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    ficr wrote: »
    There needs to be a option to list ships by TAC, ENG and Sci. The current listing by Tier isn't helpful when you need 50 ENG and are looking for ships to complete it. Also is there a explanation on what the small print means for the ships? -eng +eng +crit etc. I'm not really sure how they apply to the mission.

There's a drop-down called "Role" that does the Tac/Eng/Sci thing. I'm still learning the rest.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    As far as KDF doing Sci Jobs (They can do the UFP campaign), They do have the Varanus, Vo'Quv, and Kar'fi which are probably in the mid 50s for Sci Capability.
    Thanks for the short list. These ships will be mandatory for KDF admiralty. By the way we had doff for duty officer, has anyone came up with a short name for admiralty?

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    As far as KDF doing Sci Jobs (They can do the UFP campaign), They do have the Varanus, Vo'Quv, and Kar'fi which are probably in the mid 50s for Sci Capability.
    Thanks for the short list. These ships will be mandatory for KDF admiralty. By the way we had doff for duty officer, has anyone came up with a short name for admiralty?
    Ship Card?

The DSD ships are also blue cards for KDF. As is the Sarr Theln.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Ship Card?

The DSD ships are also blue cards for KDF. As is the Sarr Theln.

Needs to be one word. So far it sounds horrible but the previous mentioned ASSJOBS...before we were doffing now Assing?

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    unfortunately, i think assing is the best we can do for shorthand - anything else will likely be far longer​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jazztriggerjazztrigger Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So, First use of the system and I was rewarded an Elachi Sheshar Command Dreadnought Cruiser. Thought it was great until I saw the maintenance: Consumed on use. I guess it shant be on my roster for long
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    I'll be brief.

What I like:
    1.) It's easy to understand and is basically DOFF missions with ships.
    2.) The rewards look nice and even T5 ships have a good chance to get Critical Successes.

What I hate:
    1.) This is obviously a marketing strategy by Craptic to get us to spend more on ships (thus more real money on this game).
    2.) Maintenance for ships regardless of outcome. Why even have the chance to fail if I gotta repair anyways? That's stupid and is only there as an excuse for you to have more ships.
    3.) Higher Tier ships have longer maintenance. If this game actually TRIED to make any sense in the Star Trek universe, I would be totally fine with this. Higher tier ships are bigger and have a lot more complex systems, so it would make sense for them to take longer to fix up. HOWEVER, this game has less logic than a Nintendo game. So no, I don't buy into that. Higher tier ships should have a LOWER maintenance because they're...well, HIGHER TIER! We worked our assess to get some of these ships, and our reward for that is LONGER maintenance!? BS!
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Tried it on 1 toon, ran a couple 15 minute mission, now all my ship are in maintenance for up to 20 hours.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    ak255 wrote: »
    I'll be brief...
    3.) Higher Tier ships have longer maintenance. If this game actually TRIED to make any sense in the Star Trek universe, I would be totally fine with this. Higher tier ships are bigger and have a lot more complex systems, so it would make sense for them to take longer to fix up. HOWEVER, this game has less logic than a Nintendo game. So no, I don't buy into that. Higher tier ships should have a LOWER maintenance because they're...well, HIGHER TIER! We worked our assess to get some of these ships, and our reward for that is LONGER maintenance!? BS!

The way I try to make sense of it is by replacing "maintenance" with deployment or deployed.

So for a 15 minute mission, when I send a higher tier ship out, I expect them to not only complete the mission but to also respond to distress calls and give assistance to our allies. I expect that they will be gone for 18 hours doing things that further the goals of our faction. Still I expect a report back asap when they have completed the task I sent them on, so I can inform command or make any updates to my records. But as far as what they do with the rest of the time, its all depending on what troubles they can find and address before I need them again.

That's how I rationalize it, but I do understand what you mean about it being silly to have to use your imagination in this way.
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
  • Options
    They need to add the TRIBBLE stats to the ship stats so you know what to shop for. I'm ready to buy more ships but I need to know the TRIBBLE stats.

• Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    svindal777 wrote: »
    Tried it on 1 toon, ran a couple 15 minute mission, now all my ship are in maintenance for up to 20 hours.

Yeah - this is actually pretty preposterous and REALLY needs to be reviewed. I could hardly beleive the stupidity I was seeing when, after completeing a 'Transport Ambassador to whatever' mission, my ship vanished into a 20 hour cooldown oblivion.
    Twenty hours maintainance? From a friggin TRANSPORT mission?! Seriously?!
    God help any ship sent on a five-year exploration mission - by the standards of this stupidity the ship would suddenly find itself on the receiving end of a 30 year cooldown!

Honestly - this is a VERY large can of stupid. As I said, I am definitely of the opinion that the cooldown (or maintainance) period for the ship needs to reflect the mission that they were on.

I ferried my crew on a shore leave and the ship i sent got tagged with a 20 hour CD the CDs are way to high for such small jobs and i agree with you the CD should reflect the mission.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    For those not having tested on Tribble and now finding maintenance times preposterous, mind that they were a lot longer before. T6 TRIBBLE ships has a maintenance time of 36 hours.

That said I'm still supporting the idea of making the assignements take longer and the maintenance times shorter.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    svindal777 wrote: »

Yeah - this is actually pretty preposterous and REALLY needs to be reviewed. I could hardly beleive the stupidity I was seeing when, after completeing a 'Transport Ambassador to whatever' mission, my ship vanished into a 20 hour cooldown oblivion.
    Twenty hours maintainance? From a friggin TRANSPORT mission?! Seriously?!
    God help any ship sent on a five-year exploration mission - by the standards of this stupidity the ship would suddenly find itself on the receiving end of a 30 year cooldown!

Honestly - this is a VERY large can of stupid. As I said, I am definitely of the opinion that the cooldown (or maintainance) period for the ship needs to reflect the mission that they were on.

This "rant" is, actually, part and parcel of how the system was "designed"... Remember, not only is Admiralty essentially "Doffing 2.0", but it's also been "jacked up" on how much thought you need to put into it...

To wit: You see a "milk run" with lower-end stats, say nothing above a 30 or maybe 40. Do you:
    Send a singular T6 that fills the reqs quickly, send a T6 fleet that gives massive crit bonus (from requirement overflow) but ties your ships up for the better part of a day or
    Send just enough T1-T3 ships to top off the reqs and watch them come up available in a couple of hours so you can send them on another "milk run"...

To give you a "lore" oriented perspective:

Does "Admiral" Kills'em'all assign his "Kirk/Picard"-esque captain in the massive personal fleet semi-flagship to tote that ambassador around then have to fill out 20 hours worth of paperwork and reports explaining why said captain didn't TRIBBLE the ambassador's life up forever and give him PTSD...
    or
    Does Kills'em'all send a fleet of cadets in "milk run ships" that come home, gas up on antimatter again, and are ready to go again in a few hours...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Wow after finishing some of these quests my ships are spending 12 HOURS!!!! on Maintenance, that is freaking crazy!!!!
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    whitewhale80whitewhale80 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Nice addition but pretty much a waste of time for anyone who has simply done the typical tier by tier run through. My ships can only attempt maybe one of ten missions and then I have to wait a day to try anything again? No thanks, won't be clicking on that tab again.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Nice addition but pretty much a waste of time for anyone who has simply done the typical tier by tier run through. My ships can only attempt maybe one of ten missions and then I have to wait a day to try anything again? No thanks, won't be clicking on that tab again.

No only that, if you try the mission and fails, your ships still will go to 12 hours maintenance, for those of us with fewer ships we may get to level 10 in 10 years from now, that is absolutely stupid.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Maintenance times are out of control ridiculous. It should scale based on the type of mission, length of mission, and whether or not the ship took damage somehow similar to how doffs get injured and have to go into sickbay for some time.

If a random event attached to a mission pops up like an enemy ambush or something and the ship gets damaged, then sure I can totally see a 12-20 hour maintenance after that mission. Or maybe while exploring some unknown area the ship was damaged by some environmental hazard and has to undergo extended repairs once it returns because it was barely able to limp home. I'm fine with things like that. But going on a 30 minute mission with no problems and then having a 12-18 hour repair is completely unreasonable and absurd.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    I hope this system is not considered to be a replacement for any older content, like a bunch of DOFF missions that mysteriously disappeared. This Admiralty system is not overly engaging, when it is so sluggish and slow, and with some profoundly ho-hum returns, so far at least...
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    I headcannoned that my Captain stayed at the rank of Captain, so I'm not sure if I can use this system. Ah, TRIBBLE it. I'll do it. Living on the edge!
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I am in the "maintenance is off the chart TRIBBLE long" camp. I have 31 ships fed side and that is still not enough because of maintenance. When more slots are opened up, it'll be a once every other day thing, which makes the rewards much less rewarding.
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I agree with everyone here who says that those maintenance times suck big time. They are just way to long, and I don't have more than a dozen of ships per character (I discharged quite a few of them and some of them I sold on exchange). I thought maintenance was there for damaged ships during a mission failures, or combat missions. I never thought that every mission would require a maintenance and especially not such a long one.

Besides that, I would like to know if ships' equipment means anything for their stats or not? And is it possible for ships to get destroyed on missions?
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Equipment means nothing. It's a ship card, not an actual ship. And no they don't get destroyed, but if you have 1x cards they only work once.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Equipment means nothing. It's a ship card, not an actual ship. And no they don't get destroyed, but if you have 1x cards they only work once.

Ok, so no point in upgrading equipment on those old or unused ships I have. At least I won't have to spend my hard earned dilithium and EC on that.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I'm mostly KDF player but the one thing that stands out with almost every aspect of the KDF even shows with this system. There are a lot of assignments with heavy science requirement but the crappier ships have more science points than the newer ones mostly due to the tactical aspect of sales(dps races).

So they gotta resolver the core issue or any new system like this is doomed to fail when it comes to any faction that doesn't get those high end science.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I think people are comparing Admiralty to DOFFing. DOFFing has boatloads of assignments you an do. Admiralty is very limited. How long does it take to complete one full commendation tree in doffing? Long time unless you go at it 100%. Admiralty looks like it will take just as long given the "cooldowns". 20+ hour CDs exist in doffing as well, it' just that there's so many assignments you can just do something else. It looks to me so far that, unless you're a hardcore player with boatloads of ships, the typical player will just run 1-2 maybe twice a day. That's sort of how it seems to be working out for me.

Rewards have been nice so far. I have 5 toons I can do it on. They all have basic free ships + Nandi and now the new free ships from yesterday. 2 have a mirror ship and 4 have a Nihydron. Got some decent dil from the missions. Got 10 radiogenic particles and a Salvaged Tech from one mission. Another mission gave me 2x all blue mats. They seem be giving from decent XP as well. So overall I'm satisfied with what I can currently accomplish.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    tempus64 - not anymore. Doffing missions (90%+ of them from everywhere) have been removed.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    I want to get a feel for the average size of fleets people are using. I've only started the Admiralty system on my main... but I've pulled in Zen ships that are free to that character because they have been purchased for other characters. Currently my main's fleet sits at 24 ships (2 of which are fleet). Unfortunately I cleaned out a lot of my lowest ranking ships to make room as I ranked up, so will have to dilithium bag them later.

What I've done prior to drydock is use spare ship slots to commission and decommission the free zen ships so I can get the card without clogging up my roster.

I've noticed that with events, some missions are incredibly highly rated... and beyond the scope of my strongest spread of ships. Is this simply because we are assumed to take the risk?
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    tempus64 - not anymore. Doffing missions (90%+ of them from everywhere) have been removed.
    No. They haven't been removed and it's only some very specific categories that have disappeared. It's a bug, they know about it and are working on it.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Well, after two days of playing with the Admiralty system, I have to say that overall I enjoy it, however... it has also served to highlight the, shall we say 'disparity'?, between Fed/Fed-Rom and KDF/KDF-Rom characters when it comes to lower-tier ship options.

(Not counting 'special' ships like the Andorian Light Escort or the Steamrunner...)
    FED: Tier 1 - four ships, one free/dil and three C-store; Tier two, six ships, three free/dil and three C-store

KDF: Tier one, two ships (one free/dil, one C-Store); Tier two, four ships (three free/dil, one C-store)

ROM: Tier one, two; tier two, two, plus allied ships.

Now it starts to balance out at tier three, where the FEDs have seven total options (nine for Fed-Rom) and the KDF has ten (twelve for KDF-Rom), but for tier one and two ships, that leaves the KDF outnumbered 6 to Ten (Ten to Fourteen for KDF-Romulans). This becomes more of a problem with the AdSys than it was with actual gameplay because of the maintenance times - thirty minutes, two hours, four hours for tiers one, two and three respectively. With Fed characters having more lower-tier ships to send on missions, they're going to have a higher mission-turnover and progression rate than KDF characters will because, on average, KDF characters will spend more times with their AdSys ships under maintenance since they're limited to higher tier ships (three and up) for missions that a Fed character could send one of their Tier one or two ships on...

All this rambling...

Anyway, my conclusion? the AdSys just reinforces the long-held KDF player belief that they need more lower-tier ships to choose from.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...