test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing the Admiralty System

Comments

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, like the DOFF system you know what you're going to get, but not know what you'll get if you get a critical.
    You can learn this with doffs (with the usual limitation of not seeing what exact items and doffs, if any, it awards) by hovering your mouse just to the right of critical chance meter when planning it. It also works for assignments that have rewards on "ordinary" failures, like "experimental upgrades."
  • amahoodreturnsamahoodreturns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    .....sigh.... if this is like the duty officer stuff, then , that won't be difficult to understand, yet IF it Is difficult to understand for us ...ah.... tired old 2000 year old's, then..... i won't bother with it.... I just want to play the game, do missions, explore, thats it.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    .....sigh.... if this is like the duty officer stuff, then , that won't be difficult to understand, yet IF it Is difficult to understand for us ...ah.... tired old 2000 year old's, then..... i won't bother with it.... I just want to play the game, do missions, explore, thats it.

Look at it this way, no matter how easy or difficult it is to understand, Fates willing we'll never see messages like "U.S.S. KYUSHU uses PHASER BEAM ARRAY. It's super effective!"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • shakke29shakke29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi khamseenair,

Thank you I never expected to see it there and totally missed it when I was in "Roster".

@turbomagnus When you select a ship it also shows the time for the maintenance, however it can be influenced by other ships for example the "heavy destroyer" has "-25 Maintenance per SciShip" and you might not always remember which ships you sent for each mission especially if you have multiple characters.

Shakke
    Prisoner Exchanges and 'guinea pigs' for Culinary Creditals/Extreme Bartending, I guess. Those are really the only uses I've ever found for them. Heh, half the time, except for Dominion Fugitives that are set for Federation characters, I forget I even have Prisoners on my Fed characters until I sudden Crit something and get told I have no room in my brig...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Prisoner Exchanges and 'guinea pigs' for Culinary Creditals/Extreme Bartending, I guess. Those are really the only uses I've ever found for them. Heh, half the time, except for Dominion Fugitives that are set for Federation characters, I forget I even have Prisoners on my Fed characters until I sudden Crit something and get told I have no room in my brig...
    Feds also have a good assignment for interrogating them. There's a rather rare medical assignment for giving medical treatment to prisoners that needs 3 IIRC.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Tried this for a bit and my thoughts. This system could be interesting but it is restrained pretty badly by the paywall it is behind. Freebie leveling ships are basically useless and the maintenance time is pretty brutal for store,lockbox, event ships.

It's a decent system for people with a ton of ships. It's almost worthless for people who don't. Which brings me to a question, are they planning on adding admiralty ships that are not used outside of the admiralty system to lockboxes as a way to get a bigger roster without spending a ton of cash on ships they would otherwise would not want? Maybe even Admiralty ship packs similar to duty officer packs?

Meh, you can do stuff even if you have only one ship card. One advantage here is that there are no actual requirements for slotting ships, just requirements for success. So there are no requirements like "you must have a science ship to attempt this". Some assignments are nutso and will be hard even for people with good ships. I've seen some with success stats like 110/110/110... Those can be reliably done if you use three really good ships. But... some events will up the requirements. Maybe +100 tac requirement, or +50/50/50. 160 in everything is a lot harder. I don't know of a way to actually get to 100 success in a mission like that. But... if all you have is a few good ships you can at least try.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I've been selling fed prisoners more lately, especially when the roster fills with blues. They sell fast. I often crit the strike against mission and get 5 prisoners.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• yakoov5yakoov5 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    When I first heard of this, I was hoping that we'd be able to fly with our other ships into battle... *Hopes crushed...*
    Yeah, that's how most of us felt - we thought, you know, "use your old ships" meant "use your old ships", not 'use cards representing the classes of ships you own'.

Oh, well, just means something else to do during travel time between systems...
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I honestly don't understand why you guys are complaining. I mean, would you rather have to fork over money to buy ship slots to use this system to any effect? Seriously?
  • decker73adecker73a Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Remember, the Admiralty system does not mean they can't add the ability to have out bridge officers fly our other ships in the future. It would just be another system. I for one hope that we eventually get both. The admirably system was probably less work, so we get it first.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Well, just used the Admiralty system. First impression, I LIKE IT, novelty may wear off but right now I'm stoked for this. plenty of ships in the roster, so, I'm set for this for a while. Few things I want to mention, filling out the requirements is a guarantee of success but you can do it with less than a %100 chance of success if you want to, Critical chance is independent of success, as in you can in crease your crit chance without a %100 success chance, if you exceed any requirement your crit chance goes up, Maintenance means you will need to give some time between missions, but hey, gotta sleep sometime right. All in all I'm loving it!
  • kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    Well, just used the Admiralty system. First impression, I LIKE IT, novelty may wear off but right now I'm stoked for this. plenty of ships in the roster, so, I'm set for this for a while. Few things I want to mention, filling out the requirements is a guarantee of success but you can do it with less than a %100 chance of success if you want to, Critical chance is independent of success, as in you can in crease your crit chance without a %100 success chance, if you exceed any requirement your crit chance goes up, Maintenance means you will need to give some time between missions, but hey, gotta sleep sometime right. All in all I'm loving it!

I like it too! I even go to my bridge or ready room on my ship to get some "peace and quiet" while sending out some ships for the day. Overall I give the system a "thumbs up"!
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
    Something that just occurred to me... Query; the Admiralty system is supposed to recognize the ships we already have as long as we still possess them (ones that we've discarded in the past, of course, not being registered by the system as 'available'). Will the game and Admiralty system recognize the ships we have simply from our roster of available ships or will we need to switch to them for the game to acknowledge that we currently possess said ships?
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    Something that just occurred to me... Query; the Admiralty system is supposed to recognize the ships we already have as long as we still possess them (ones that we've discarded in the past, of course, not being registered by the system as 'available'). Will the game and Admiralty system recognize the ships we have simply from our roster of available ships or will we need to switch to them for the game to acknowledge that we currently possess said ships?

It picks up ships in the roster. You don't need to have them as your active ship. :)
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Ah, good. For a time there, I was concerned that I was going to have to go through all my characters and individually activate each ship they had for Admiralty to register them.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,273 Arc User
    Well. Atleast now the Admiral ranks can make some sense; paperwork in the form of the Admiralty System. What would be even more great for Admirals, would be the ability to promote BOFFs to Captain and put them in charge of starships in a Space Away Team, aka a Task Force, like the one Picard commanded. I so want a Space Away Team thing implemented.
    yakiw2uzh0ao.png
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Will we eventually get called back to Earth, where we get an Admiral's apartment in San Francisco, and then forced to "fly a desk"? :smiley:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    kelettes wrote: »
    Will we eventually get called back to Earth, where we get an Admiral's apartment in San Francisco, and then forced to "fly a desk"? :smiley:

I hope not, I don't want T'Vrell to die saving my old ship-turned-Academy training ship from being destroyed by an enemy I thought I had beat long ago that's returned and wants me dead.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,273 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    kelettes wrote: »

Have you ever heard of a Starship Admiral? Starship Admirals are literally Admirals who command their own personal Flagship. I'm a Starship Admiral myself. Riker was a Starship Admiral too, he had the Titan under his command, even as an Admiral. Though I would love for Starfleet Headquarters to be made a map, so that Admirals could have Admiralty meetings there as well as be able to hold genuine Fleet Meetings. The only "HQ" available is ESD right now. Feels so unadmiral-like, ESD. I prefer my ship and Starfleet Headquarters, being an Vice Admiral, soon to be a full Admiral.
    yakiw2uzh0ao.png
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    There needs to be a option to list ships by TAC, ENG and Sci. The current listing by Tier isn't helpful when you need 50 ENG and are looking for ships to complete it. Also is there a explanation on what the small print means for the ships? -eng +eng +crit etc. I'm not really sure how they apply to the mission.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm enjoying this very much. But then I'm a doffing fan as well. From what I can see, especially when you open up more mission slots this will take a tremendous amount of ship. Part of the problem is that my first character long ago dismissed all the lower tier ships due to lack of space. I managed 20 ships but even with 3 slots this is not enough. I would say that you'll want maybe 50-60 ships to do this hardcore.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    ficr wrote: »
    There needs to be a option to list ships by TAC, ENG and Sci. The current listing by Tier isn't helpful when you need 50 ENG and are looking for ships to complete it. Also is there a explanation on what the small print means for the ships? -eng +eng +crit etc. I'm not really sure how they apply to the mission.

There's a drop-down called "Role" that does the Tac/Eng/Sci thing. I'm still learning the rest.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    As far as KDF doing Sci Jobs (They can do the UFP campaign), They do have the Varanus, Vo'Quv, and Kar'fi which are probably in the mid 50s for Sci Capability.
    Thanks for the short list. These ships will be mandatory for KDF admiralty. By the way we had doff for duty officer, has anyone came up with a short name for admiralty?

As far as KDF doing Sci Jobs (They can do the UFP campaign), They do have the Varanus, Vo'Quv, and Kar'fi which are probably in the mid 50s for Sci Capability.
    Thanks for the short list. These ships will be mandatory for KDF admiralty. By the way we had doff for duty officer, has anyone came up with a short name for admiralty?
    Ship Card?

The DSD ships are also blue cards for KDF. As is the Sarr Theln.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Ship Card?

The DSD ships are also blue cards for KDF. As is the Sarr Theln.

Needs to be one word. So far it sounds horrible but the previous mentioned ASSJOBS...before we were doffing now Assing?

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    unfortunately, i think assing is the best we can do for shorthand - anything else will likely be far longer​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jazztriggerjazztrigger Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So, First use of the system and I was rewarded an Elachi Sheshar Command Dreadnought Cruiser. Thought it was great until I saw the maintenance: Consumed on use. I guess it shant be on my roster for long