What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

><><> New Fleet Armada System, WOW!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Not looking at merging my fleet anytime soon, till I get the workings down with the other fleet I am a part of first. Becasue there is no way in heck, I am allowing some other fleet to have any say so over my personal fleet!

It's not a merger. From the UI image in the link Borticus gave, fleets still have total control over their fleet. I assume that you'll be able to talk about what you want from the fleet(s) you wish to join an armada with.

Nothing works right 100% first time out and, this is why I wouldn't merge myself till I get not only the whole concept down but, also when any possible problems are fixed correctly!

tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    now this looks interesting.
    im curious how this would benefit a fleet with two t5 starbases in a single faction. you would hope that they could somehow leverage that, but its looking like the limit is one 'large' fleet, with the others intended to be smaller underlings.
    You mean you have a 2nd starbase from a spillover fleet?

The system is supposed to be geared towards Large fleets helping smaller ones with the larger fleets getting the chance to have their members contributing.

While that may be the intention, nothing I've read so far indicates that you can't make a large fleet a gamma or beta.

Nothing works right 100% first time out and, this is why I wouldn't merge myself till I get not only the whole concept down but, also when any possible problems are fixed correctly!

I think most of us are already expecting the Armada system to be bugged when it goes live on Holodeck.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    What would be great for this is the ability to set a "We're available for joining an Armada" Flag for a Fleet. That way as Armada can search for and send invitations/offers to Fleet leaders without spamming the world.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Heads up, the level of dil discount and skill point boost the Armada gets is based off the Armada level (the total fleet level of all of the fleets that make up the Armada).

So if you want you could have a bunch of t5 fleets in one Armada and get loads of loot but you would be back at the place where you started when it comes to get more fleet credit.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I see this a good thing, and a great direction to go in the game as a whole. And most of the negative comments I see here I don't think will be as much a problem as being stated. I look forward to seeing this detailed out more on the official website though.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    :falls dead from a heart attack as a direct result from excitement:
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Well overall I think this will be a great idea. I think it will work best for fleets that can communicate well with each other and have a friendly community on a website or combined chat channel. I see only great potential for this to allow other smaller fleets to level up and allow larger fleets with lots of members willing to donate the actual chance to donate.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    reximuz wrote: »
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Not really sure how this will help smaller fleet's.

Have you ever been in a large fleet? It's nearly impossible to ever contribute to a project, so you have access to all these unlocks and no fleet credits to buy anything with, while small fleets can't open the holdings.

The large fleet brings resources, and the small fleet brings projects that need them.

Yes lol

I was a founder in one of the largest fleet's in the game 'Pride Of The Federation' which was the first fleet to max out both a fed and KDF fleet holdings.

We lost most of our members sans Delta Rising and joined forces with 'Expeditionary Tactical Fleet'. I am no longer a leader of the fleet, but I am still an active member.

I am not really bothered about fleets that have already maxed out, but rather the smaller fleet making headway.

Hopefully it wont end up with all the big fleets trying to call the shots. Judging by flyingtarg's post, it shouldn't happen..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I'm definitely interested to see how this shakes out.

For the very largest fleets who already have satellite fleets, they won't have any incentive to look beyond themselves to form Armadas.

So far I'm not seeing anything about the process of joining and/or leaving an Armada.

If a fleet takes on three subordinates, can it then join a larger fleet to become a Beta? What happens if that fleet then leaves the Armada? Does it take the subordinate fleets with it?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    I think the Armada system is going to be great. And since I dont get to "toot my own horn" often enough im just going to post this link here:
    Clicky
    That shows I came up with a very similar idea over a year ago. I wonder who at Cryptic read it :P
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    If a fleet takes on three subordinates, can it then join a larger fleet to become a Beta? What happens if that fleet then leaves the Armada? Does it take the subordinate fleets with it?

Yes.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    when will be able to test this on tribble @flyingtarg - @borticuscryptic, any rough eta???
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm definitely interested to see how this shakes out.

For the very largest fleets who already have satellite fleets, they won't have any incentive to look beyond themselves to form Armadas.

So far I'm not seeing anything about the process of joining and/or leaving an Armada.

So happy to see you back man! You've always been my favorite MOD... ;)

Are you back to MOD status?
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    drreverend wrote: »
    Can a Federation and KDF fleet be in the same Armada? Because that'd be great.

The Armada System will not allow for cross-faction organizations when it launches.

We plan to spend some time later on exploring whether or not doing so would be technically feasible, and what repercussions it might entail.

For example, I know off-the-cuff that a FED player can't be invited to a KDF Starbase. So if we somehow overcame the technical hurdles that would allow these two Fleets to belong to the same Armada together, would it be fair to ask the FED Fleet to help donate to the KDF projects, if they can't reap some of the benefits?

We'll have to review it all in detail later on.

And here's the Link to the Announcement for those who missed it --> CLICK ME!

Very often the KDF and Starfleet fleets are the same people from the same fleet. So it would be fair, because I still profit from my alt's fleet getting built up. Though overcoming the inability to bring KDFers to Starfleet starbases and vice versa would be the best solution there.
    protogoth wrote: »

I don't see the big question asked or answered there: Will we be able to do this cross-faction? Will Romulan fleets of both alliances be able to do this together? I run Romulan fleets which are allied with both factions. I would like them to be able to do this together, since they are, for all intents and purposes, the same organization forced into two separate groups by the alliance system.

Edit: Never mind: Borticus said no.
    Can a Federation and KDF fleet be in the same Armada? Because that'd be great.

The Armada System will not allow for cross-faction organizations when it launches.

We plan to spend some time later on exploring whether or not doing so would be technically feasible, and what repercussions it might entail.

For example, I know off-the-cuff that a FED player can't be invited to a KDF Starbase. So if we somehow overcame the technical hurdles that would allow these two Fleets to belong to the same Armada together, would it be fair to ask the FED Fleet to help donate to the KDF projects, if they can't reap some of the benefits?

We'll have to review it all in detail later on.

Fleets which would benefit the most from cross-faction armadas are fleets which are primarily Romulan Republic in theme and leadership, such as the fleets I run. Being forced into separate fleets because of the false dilemma that is your faction system is detrimental (and if RS can give their players 3 factions, I'm sure Cryptic could have done it as well, and I am aware of people who have stated that they considered making a Romulan character till they found out that the RRF was not going to be a full faction in its own right), but if this new armada feature were cross-faction, it would ameliorate some of that detriment.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    i am completely opposed to a crossfaction armada. as far as i am concerned, if people want to build a kdf fleet, they should log in and play kdf.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    I am pleased that they keep 'some' walls between factions... Now, announcing true romulan centric fleet assets would be nice.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    i am completely opposed to a crossfaction armada. as far as i am concerned, if people want to build a kdf fleet, they should log in and play kdf.

Our first and main fleet IS KDF-allied. But, to quote Temer, "WE ... ARE ... ROMULAN!!!"

I don't like the way the RRF has been forced into division and haven't liked it from the start. I cannot team with Romulans who happen to have chosen a different alliance, even though we are all members of the same faction called "Romulan Republic Forces." That's nonsensical. I don't like the fact that in order to offer a home to Romulans and Remans who share my pro-Republic views, I had to make fleets of both alliances, and that doing so means that interaction between the separate fleets is excruciatingly limited by the game mechanic. This is not about enriching the FedBrats for me, but enhancing my own ROMULAN REPUBLIC fleets. I could probably take my Fed-allied fleet and join an armada with several Fed fleets. I have no desire to do so. I have already been tentatively offered the option to do this with a KDF fleet. Again, I have no desire to do so. I will do this with other Romulan Republic fleets, of my choosing, but I'm not inclined to do it with pure Fed or pure KDF fleets, even if they have RRF personnel in their roster.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    flyingtarg wrote: »

Yes.

Thanks for the reply! That's an important thing to understand.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    mikoto123amikoto123a Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    We still gotta consider Fleet Atomony, as there are hardcore fleets, RP fleets, and casual fleets out there. How would a hardcore fleet leading an Armada deal with an RP or casual fleet? I can see Casuals not imposing anything on other fleets in the Armada, but will that work both ways?

I have to with rattler2 - some hardcore players are quite unreasonable when it come to the more casual players :/ - seen some really nasty stuff in PUG's recently where a tank player was unable to keep up with the DPS being pumped out by guy in the Scimitar.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the Armada system. Hopefully the cross-faction portion of it will come sooner rather than later. It's pretty clear the Dysonelta Nukaramega Republistance Iconialliance Force Counter-Command has been sharing technology with one another freely for mutual benefit. The Xindi Council (which is Federation) openly supports both the Romulan Republic and KDF. The command battlecruisers, intel ships, T6 Mogh/Avenger, pilot ships (best represented in Delta Flight), and the hypothetical T6 flight deck raptor-warbird-cruisers which may or may not come is more evidence of more cooperation.

I don't see any reason why KDF starbases shouldn't share their Elite Disruptor technology with others, or the Federation to share their Elite Phaser technology with others.

Sharing means caring. We should all strive to be the kind of people Mr. Rogers told us we could be.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    Really hope there are some "good" safeguards vs theft (banking), taxes or fees that large fleets might impose from smaller ones just to belong to an "armada", abusive leadership or even taking members away...It seems to me as in more DRAMA as it was needed.
    There is only so much that cryptic can do to re-assure proper human behavior B)
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User

Our first and main fleet IS KDF-allied. But, to quote Temer, "WE ... ARE ... ROMULAN!!!"

I don't like the way the RRF has been forced into division and haven't liked it from the start. I cannot team with Romulans who happen to have chosen a different alliance, even though we are all members of the same faction called "Romulan Republic Forces." That's nonsensical. I don't like the fact that in order to offer a home to Romulans and Remans who share my pro-Republic views, I had to make fleets of both alliances, and that doing so means that interaction between the separate fleets is excruciatingly limited by the game mechanic. This is not about enriching the FedBrats for me, but enhancing my own ROMULAN REPUBLIC fleets. I could probably take my Fed-allied fleet and join an armada with several Fed fleets. I have no desire to do so. I have already been tentatively offered the option to do this with a KDF fleet. Again, I have no desire to do so. I will do this with other Romulan Republic fleets, of my choosing, but I'm not inclined to do it with pure Fed or pure KDF fleets, even if they have RRF personnel in their roster.

A decision was taken early in the process of introducing Romulans that they would be a fraction, not a standalone faction. Many people may not have liked that, but the decision was taken and it is not going to change, no matter how much you complain or wish it would.

I would personally advise you to suck it up and join a Fed/KDF Armada. It may offend your roleplay sensibilities but is that really worths depriving your fleet members from the dilithium discounts/xp bonuses?
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    gazurtoid wrote: »

A decision was taken early in the process of introducing Romulans that they would be a fraction, not a standalone faction. Many people may not have liked that, but the decision was taken and it is not going to change, no matter how much you complain or wish it would.

You assume it's not going to change. I do not.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    Hrmm, my apologies if it was asked - but there's that image there at the same time as the mention of the ability to export the fleet roster to a spreadsheet...does that mean the ability to export the full armada roster?

I may have missed it, but does this mean that the various fleets comprising the armada will be subject to armada or crossfleet mail?
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    I was talking to one of my fleet mates about this (we're a small fleet with many inactive members) and he has a few concerns about this system.
    • The larger fleet in this system would force the smaller fleets in the system to contribute to THEIR holding first and after it was completed, maybe think about contributing to the smaller fleets in return.
    • The smaller fleet's members will be forced to use the same builds that the larger fleet members use (basically, you play the game our way or you can go find another fleet).
    • Large fleets will be out mostly for the bonus skill points and will try and collect as many fleets as they can in order to achieve this, not paying any attention to smaller fleets other than being a source of bonus stuff for them.

I think these would be valid concerns to have, right?

From what have read and if I have it right, a fleet can only donate to itself (as we all do now) and a fleet below it, so if you are a bottom tier fleet you can't donate to one above you.

hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm also okay with the Romulan Republic being a fraction. If cross-faction armadas become a thing rather than an idea, we'd really just become one big faction, divided up into smaller fractions.

Which opens the gate to more mini-factions or fractions to join the alliance, or to see vassal states in the KDF go independant but still a part of the grand alliance. Similarly, we could see players become part of the Andorian Imperial Guard, Vulcan High Command, Orion Syndicate, Gorn Hegemoneoneneneminanemonae, Risian Hedony, Borg Cooperative, Ferengi Alliance, etc. etc.

It'd give Cryptic more reason to release those unused commbadges that were leaked to us years ago.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Hmm. On one hand could be nice. On the other this could also easily turn bad, multi-list access means more of those bank robbery threads, people using the sorta-spreadsheet thing to go iron-fisted, fleet tiers trying to pull rank, all generally an amplification of the worst aspects of fleet drama. Human nature is just human nature after all, and humans are inherently jerks.