Install Arc
Options

Featured Episode: House Pegh Now Live!

Comments

• Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with homosexual stuff, but throwing it in for this FE felt like Cryptic was just trying to use recent events as fodder for "Hey look, we're cool with it too"

I don't see a point bringing it up on a supposed high risk mission, no matter what kind of couple it was.
    In regards to couples going to a fight, I would want to bring up one thing. I remember a certain Klingon war ballad recited by Quark about a couple who were heavily engaged in combat. I wouldn't say it was unbecoming of Klingons to embrace war and their relationship.

Now, as for them being TRIBBLE. With the lack of representation you usually see of it in video games, I know it might come across as a big play up. I actually... missed it the first time. Probably because I was very tired, but I would argue that in that case it wasn't really unnaturally portrayed. It just so happens this couple was TRIBBLE.

Maybe if we treat it as that we'll start to give the LGBT crowd what I feel they deserve, a sense of normalcy. I'm happy that they're represented. Let's consider this a normal set of Klingon warriors who embrace honor, war, and each other?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In regards to couples going to a fight, I would want to bring up one thing. I remember a certain Klingon war ballad recited by Quark about a couple who were heavily engaged in combat. I wouldn't say it was unbecoming of Klingons to embrace war and their relationship.

Now, as for them being TRIBBLE. With the lack of representation you usually see of it in video games, I know it might come across as a big play up. I actually... missed it the first time. Probably because I was very tired, but I would argue that in that case it wasn't really unnaturally portrayed. It just so happens this couple was TRIBBLE.

Maybe if we treat it as that we'll start to give the LGBT crowd what I feel they deserve, a sense of normalcy. I'm happy that they're represented. Let's consider this a normal set of Klingon warriors who embrace honor, war, and each other?

This...cause it didn't come off forced, didn't have any neon look at me signs, none of that...was just a natural sort of thing.

Now, if it were Klingon warriors embracing Targs...well...I'd have a complaint. ;)
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Here here! They have my complete support
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Little quibbles..

I'm in a Klingon ship.. I have my own cloak.

I'm in a Romulan ship.. My cloak is better.. perhaps I should cloak you?

My KDF toon knows what a Kallicam is.. and so does my romulan in KDF service...

other then that...., nice mission flow. Some players will have more problems in the fight then others. Don't be too surprised if ya get killed a time or two.. (that is what ya got that insta res toy from the Delta Recruit stuff after all)

I didn't even notice the "They're a couple" thing really.. On the other hand.. call me a what? Feeling suicidal? I can help you with that.. Bekk.

Come on real KDF.. my Kui toon would have slapped her to the floor in a heart beat for that bit. MIssed some great opportunity for drama in the mission there. A romulan characters reaction would have been a little less stringent then a KDF.. "If you don't like the mission, you can be left behind."
    (Don't know about your roms, but mine don't take TRIBBLE off of junior officers... ever)

It worked for a fed...

If I were scoring it, I'd give it a 6 of 10 on story for now. It could have been a bit more interesting.

Combat wasn't overly intensive with the typical way to many targets to deal with. The mission was fast.

Got that different ground pathing to objectives I see happening from mission to mission. I like that.. keeps it from getting to stale.. The lore object in the last ground fight might not get noticed by a lot of players.. with an invisible map there is no obvious reason for a player to go look It may have been a mission objective but I really didn't notice it show.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No, Threshold was hilarious bad this is painful bad in all aspects.
    There is no saving grace on this, none ... not even LOL this is soooo baaad.

No. Threshold was utterly pointless. It was supposed to have a point (what if evolution can be devolution), but somebody removed that element from the final script and green-lighted the rest of the episode without it.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fortrun61 wrote: »
    I played through the new FE to see what all the hulla baloo was all about and was quite frankly disgusted and saddened.

LGBT themes or there of have no place in games or anywhere else to be honest.

I fully expect to be belittled by so called tolerants, but it has to be said.

This was a bad move on the part of the writers and devs and they should be ashamed.

As I have said in a direct e-mail to the company, I will not spend a dime on this game over this nor will I ever support them or PWE unless they re-verse this move and leave such things out moving forward.

I don't recall the other times this theme has showed up in the other parts of the game to be honest, but the point still stands.

This is a game all ages play, shame......

I am an adult and don't want to see it.

it really amazes me that in this day and age people can still think like this, i can understand some folks are stuck in their ways, maybe uncomfortable with the idea or reality of it, but really, this over the top reaction? So it was acceptable for kirk to be getting it on with all kinds of aliens? Was ok for Chakotey to be having liasons with an undine? And i guess you were fine with that Data episode with a certain female member of the enterprise? But a simple reference to a same gender marriage and its alarm bells and strongly worded emails? yep thats a really balanced attitude and perspective on life you have there.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    I'll be blunt, but sexual preferences should be kept out of the game.

What people do in RP or in their fleet is their choice, but things like this bit of trash (not because of a dislike towards LGBT but because of its place in the game) should be kept out of general content of the game.

This game is supposed to be for all ages and anything sexual should be not have made it into the game.

You ever watch any Star Trek series? You ever been to Nimbus III?
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

The funny thing is, B'Eler was already a character, who already referred to her (female) mate. She's been standing around in Ganalda Station for as long as I can remember, and probably longer than that.

This mission did not introduce the concept of TRIBBLE Klingons to STO, it just added the other half of the existing couple and put them in a more obvious place. (How many people would catch a single throwaway line from KDF-exclusive NPC, as part of a mission that isn't commonly rerun?)
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All I saw was

Dude: "Her mate is a bit overprotective."
    Me: "Oh, ok. I'll be Klingon-y diplomatic with him."
    Goes over to them. Oh, her mate's a lass. Huh. You're a bit agressive. I'm going to just let you go be Klingon-y now and do the mission.

Seriously, that was the entirety of my reaction. Why? Because it was just a normal couple. It wasn't out of place, it wasn't repeated over and over again. Dude simply said her mate is overprotective, giving me the information WHY she's overprotective.

It's nice that we're getting diversity. After all, it is Trek. To be honest, the stripper on Nimbus got a bigger reaction, because the guy watching him was funny.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    No he did not, he only injured it with the help of others or are going to say that having in the middle of battle dumping Omega Particles on top of his opponent was "honorable"?

He died a pointless death, achieved nothing and lost a ancient artifact to the enemy again, good Job.

But the Omega beam equalized the battle. Or are you suggesting that T'Ket was fighting "honorably?" I mean, Kahless couldn't even hurt him(?) before the Omega beam because of all the tech that he(?) was using.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The funny thing is, B'Eler was already a character, who already referred to her (female) mate. She's been standing around in Ganalda Station for as long as I can remember, and probably longer than that.

This mission did not introduce the concept of TRIBBLE Klingons to STO, it just added the other half of the existing couple and put them in a more obvious place. (How many people would catch a single throwaway line from KDF-exclusive NPC, as part of a mission that isn't commonly rerun?)

A grand total of no one? I wouldn't have realized it, having not caught the line, until someone said it. Made no difference to anything anyway. Though they did have a little bit of nice red oni vs. blue oni vibe in the conversation with them on making sure subspace didn't get wrecked. ^_^
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just a sugestion Cryptic but for featured episodes or tbh every episode above level 50. When you kill enemys, the items they drop needs to be better than a small hypo or small shield. You know from time to time throw in a upgrade accelerator or something. Something that would keep you at least a little interested in the mission the 20th time you play through it. I mean what would it hurt? really? At least when I do the episode on 5 characters 3x each I won't be like "ahh man this TRIBBLE again". Really what...would...it ....Hurt?
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it used to be possible to pick a mission with a prize item with random procs, like Delta missions.
    people like some procs and hate others, in items you can only get 1x.

it used to be possible to pick and drop a mission to get one of those 1 time magnificent item rewards with the procs you like, but if you talked with npc quest giver, it would change in to something you might not like.

now, you "fixed" that, and the procs don't change ... at all .... often, we get stuck with the dilemma of doing the mission and getting a 1 time, item with dislikeable procs or not playing the content at all.

it would be very much welcome, that the item procs could change when we pick the mission and re-shuffle if we drop, pick it up again, but not if we talk with npc again during the mission.

in any case, getting stuck with a dislikeable proc doesn't seem to benefit any one. and right now, it's happening again.

oh, and btw, most people hate DOT3 for ground - unlike exothermic induction field from bofs / captain (that only affects enemies targets), the radiation affects every one, including our bridge officers, seeding havoc ... despite being funny some times, it's more harmful than good, and people don't really like how it works.

thank you for other episode.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seeing some (unfortunate) reactions:

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by the female couple.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just a reminder. Let's keep civility. I know this can be a hot-button topic, but let's keep things nice and civil. After all, I'd much rather prefer that we fight with love and respect. We're impassioned by our concerns, but that doesn't mean we can't be civil and good-natured to each other. Oui?

Good.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hyefather wrote: »
    Just a sugestion Cryptic but for featured episodes or tbh every episode above level 50. When you kill enemys, the items they drop needs to be better than a small hypo or small shield. You know from time to time throw in a upgrade accelerator or something. Something that would keep you at least a little interested in the mission the 20th time you play through it. I mean what would it hurt? really? At least when I do the episode on 5 characters 3x each I won't be like "ahh man this TRIBBLE again". Really what...would...it ....Hurt?

This is needed. Why I usually don't do missions over unless the mission reward is something worth doing. Most missions usually lack in serious loot. We should be getting bigger hypos more white, green, and drop a boss should yield blue or better each time. Even add a green to the boss will be nice to go with it.

Compared to loot, WoW vs STO, WoW wins in this department.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hyefather wrote: »

What setting do you lay the missions on? I played on Elite and was getting green and white space and ground gear. I did not pick up or look at everything though.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My take on B'Eler and her mate (whose name I forget):
    Even with my conservative Christian beliefs, I am not surprised or concerned. True, homosexual relationships have no place in my personal beliefs, but I don't expect everyone to follow my beliefs. And this is a Star Trek game, it was bound to happen, especially considering that there are other homosexual characters in STO
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How long to wait to see how the Klingons react and mourn Kahless's loss, the next mission should start with that event, don't you think?
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Normally, I don't side with you but today is another day. What year is it in Star Trek now? You would think that diversity of any kind is accepted in the future. The adults that are offended with LGBT, no matter where it is, should grow up and accept reality. It's all around us whether we like it or not. Well said, Trendy.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am deeply deeply saddened right down to my bones by the outage and bigotry this smallest hint ever of a same sex relationship has caused.

As a TRIBBLE man myself I have been made to feel by all this stupidity and ignorance towards something that in life in 2015 is as normal as breathing oxygen that the community although obviously diverse with everyone’s beliefs and outlooks on life still has a long way to go before there is tolerance towards all, which correct me if I am wrong is what Star Trek is all about?!?

I find the games community a very unwelcoming place now which is so sad. :(

It’s about time that the people who have expressed disgust with this realize that it's normal and being TRIBBLE does not make people any less human than a heterosexual man or woman. :mad:

Even in DS9 there was a hint towards a Bisexual/TRIBBLE Character with the Mirror episode “The Emperor’s New Cloak” wasn’t the intendant and Ezri Dax lovers in this episode?!?

TNG even touched on the Subject of Gender/Sexual Difference with the episode “The Outcast”
    So when I see the outcry of rage this smallest of small hint has caused I wonder how you felt when watching these iconic trek episodes?
    :confused::rolleyes:

Overall my impression of this episode was a good one the Song Kahless sang when going into battle added a nice touch to the episode and the true spirt of how a Klingon faces death! A kind of happy and honourable occasion, that facing death is not a bad thing for the greater good.

I do wish there was more speediness to this Arc though its been a long time coming and drawing it out is driving me nuts lol although I don’t want it to end I feel it is taking too long to get to the real War feeling.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captz1pp wrote: »
    How long to wait to see how the Klingons react and mourn Kahless's loss, the next mission should start with that event, don't you think?

I think it should be mentioned at some point but I don't think that too much theater has to be put on around it. I think the iconian war could be (and its getting there) best represented as a lot of big things going on in an even bigger universe. If you stop and idle at any one you risk losing that expansive viewpoint.

Something in the background? Sure. Huge ceremony? Well, no. This is only part of the story.

And mind you that opinion has absolutely nothing to do with my new sig. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fortrun61 wrote: »
    This is a game all ages play, shame......

I fail to see what this has to do with anything in regards to homosexuality. I've known my father was TRIBBLE for as long as I can remember, since before elementary school. I'm straight, have a wife, and three kids. Exposure to the concept of homosexuality at a young age does not influence ones own sexuality in any way if that's what your afraid of. It's a normal part of life, the only reason it gets any attention is because so many people are intolerant and scared of something they do not understand.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nice little mission. I think we're going for an arc of an extended losing war that justifies us taking extraordinary measures down the line.

Kinda curious what would happen if we used a Krenim weapon on the Iconians. It really wouldn't change a lot of canon aside from deleting one TNG and one DS9 episode but it would make a big difference to the shape of the STO galaxy.

We'd... probably still be at peace, actually. Martok would probably be back. Kahless would be back. We'd be lower ranked. (Hey, there's the solution to rank complaints. Temporally, retroactively bust us down to captain with option to display higher ranks; we find the pips in our ready room -- ha.) Romulus would be back. Spock, well... Would have never left, at least. I assume the J.J.-verse would still happen because cause/effect might not carry over between timelines; we'd just be in a different branch than the one they were in. I'm surprisingly fine with the consequences I'm seeing.

As for the Klingon couple? Nice to see a couple in STO. It adds something to have couples or father/daughter, father/son, friends, etc. It makes Trek as a world feel relatable.

It'd be nice if we could have individual mini-reps for our officers to build our rapport with them, craft or respec their traits, etc.

Star Trek is a franchise about relationships of all types between characters, tested through galactic exploration and war. But the characters are key and it's nice to see characters who have relationships.
  • Options
    jrdragonettijrdragonetti Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only thing against this mission, IMO, was that it was too short, I think I had a bug, where a defiler just popped up out of the floor, which was a pretty good jumpscare, if I didn't run it a second time where it didn't happen. It was good to see a return of the omega mini game, the lack of a shard was less welcome.

The level art design was fantastic, story was way better than delta flight, I'd have liked to have fought the iconian myself, though now she/hes got an arm off now, and the space battle at the end could have been a bit less by the numbers, (wave 1, click blue box, wave 2, click blue box, wave 3, warp out)

All in all, I'm satisfied, and looking forward to seeing nog
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only thing against this mission, IMO, was that it was too short, I think I had a bug, where a defiler just popped up out of the floor, which was a pretty good jumpscare, if I didn't run it a second time where it didn't happen. It was good to see a return of the omega mini game, the lack of a shard was less welcome.

The level art design was fantastic, story was way better than delta flight, I'd have liked to have fought the iconian myself, though now she/hes got an arm off now, and the space battle at the end could have been a bit less by the numbers, (wave 1, click blue box, wave 2, click blue box, wave 3, warp out)

All in all, I'm satisfied, and looking forward to seeing nog

Isn't it about the same length as delta flight?

Meeting, space course, ground mission, space combat, done.

The emphasis was just lost on the 2nd and 4th bits to flush out #3. I honestly think it hit the sweet spot (had meat but didn't drag on which I definitely feel blood of the ancients does.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just checked the first 5min ... and Kahless is actually trying to prove himself by going on this Mission in the first place ...

... sure we're obviously helping him, though ... it probably depends on your POV ... but Worf doesn't say anything about "unexperienced Warrior" etc ...

I obviously just remembered the dialogue wrongly. No need for the sarcasm.

I still think that the whole Kahless subplot in this episode really doesn't work.
    questerius wrote: »
    I'll be blunt, but sexual preferences should be kept out of the game.

So does that mean they should remove all references to straightness and straight people as well? Because heterosexuality is a sexual preference too...

(Also, uhh, one of those letters (the T) isn't even about sexual preference at all)
    No he did not, he only injured it with the help of others or are going to say that having in the middle of battle dumping Omega Particles on top of his opponent was "honorable"?

To a Klingon, dying in battle = dying honorably, whether they win or not. That's not to say that it's good plotting, of course, but (when you look at it through a Klingon lens) it's a fact. Kahless died fighting, and therefore died honorably. The fact that he ultimately died for nothing is a problem, yes, but it doesn't change how he died.
    the problem is there is no reason to point out their sexual preferences yet they did just to point out their sexual preferences.

What? No. They are mates, and they act like mates, and that is all. If one of them were male, you probably wouldn't have cared.
    amezuki wrote: »
    As I said before: complaining that the mere appearance of a TRIBBLE character or couple constitutes "inappropriate", "sexual", or "mature" content says quite a lot more about the worldview of the person complaining than it does about the content. It tells the world that you reduce everyone--or worse, just LGBT people--to being nothing more than their romantic or sexual preferences

Very well said!

(Though I would like to point out that, so far, there has been no actual transgender representation in STO, so I'm not quite ready to say that the game as a whole has "LGBT" representation.)
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    The adults that are offended with LGBT, no matter where it is, should grow up and accept reality. It's all around us whether we like it or not. Well said, Trendy.

Well said, you, too.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So I searched google for the exact phrase "Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrade"

I cant find anything on about it. Is it worth taking over the spec point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.