test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else catch the Batman v Superman trailer?

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess, but frankly as long as you're piling advantages onto Batman like that I feel you might as well do likewise with Superman.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the point of the hypothetical was to put them on an equal playing field physically. I'm not "piling advantages on Batman", I'm simply bringing him up to the same physical level as Superman. If you add something to Superman at that point, it defeats the entire point of the hypothetical.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Warning: Flashlight may be required to watch movie.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wonder why he didn't break out those skills when he was fighting Doomsday :confused:
    He did. It was the only way he was able to fight Doomsday to a draw.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    He did. It was the only way he was able to fight Doomsday to a draw.

He did? Any specific examples you are referring to? I have that trade paperback and don't recall seeing anything except a knock down drag out fight. No martial art type moves...but maybe a little WWE =P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    He did? Any specific examples you are referring to? I have that trade paperback and don't recall seeing anything except a knock down drag out fight. No martial art type moves...but maybe a little WWE =P
    One thing to remember is that Superman said specifically that he wasn't faster than Doomsday, so you're not going to see him do something like what Batman does.

One example though would be when he kicked the spike sticking out of Doomsday's leg.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    One thing to remember is that Superman said specifically that he wasn't faster than Doomsday, so you're not going to see him do something like what Batman does.

One example though would be when he kicked the spike sticking out of Doomsday's leg.

LOL, you really are reaching aren't you? That's why I said "WWE" in my last post. Do you actually have any examples of him doing "martial arts"?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    LOL, you really are reaching aren't you? That's why I said "WWE" in my last post. Do you actually have any examples of him doing "martial arts"?
    You have a very strangely limited definition of martial arts.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You have a very strangely limited definition of martial arts.

So was that a "yes I have some example" or a "no I don't have an example"? Because if by "martial arts" you just mean "fighting", then 2 drunk guys fighting outside a bar are martial artists by your definition. Again, is there some specific example of something he did you are referring to?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So was that a "yes I have some example" or a "no I don't have an example"? Because if by "martial arts" you just mean "fighting", then 2 drunk guys fighting outside a bar are martial artists by your definition. Again, is there some specific example of something he did you are referring to?
    You do know that by real-world standards, half the guys in WWE are martial artists?

Yeah, Greco-Roman Wrestling is technically a martial art. As is every other form of combat where you practice using specific techniques to win fights and not just making things up as you go along.

THAT is my definition. What's yours?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You do know that by real-world standards, half the guys in WWE are martial artists?

Yeah, Greco-Roman Wrestling is technically a martial art. As is every other form of combat where you practice using specific techniques to win fights and not just making things up as you go along.

THAT is my definition. What's yours?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a google image search of "martial arts". Yes, I understand that *technically* any form of trained fighting is a "martial art", but that is certainly not what most people mean when they use the term. Generally speaking, if someone wants to watch "martial arts" they don't turn on WWE.

That said, at least we now know why we disagree. You have been saying Superman used "martial arts", and I thought you meant the common meaning of the term, not the technical meaning. By your meaning, every superhero ever also uses "martial arts". So wow, that's pretty impressive Superman!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a google image search of "martial arts". Yes, I understand that *technically* any form of trained fighting is a "martial art", but that is certainly not what most people mean when they use the term. Generally speaking, if someone wants to watch "martial arts" they don't turn on WWE.

That said, at least we now know why we disagree. You have been saying Superman used "martial arts", and I thought you meant the common meaning of the term, not the technical meaning. By your meaning, every superhero ever also uses "martial arts". So wow, that's pretty impressive Superman!
    Technically true, but the key distinction is in the level of training. Also the fact that Superman uses martial arts not invented on Earth.

Also, using the pop-culture definition of a term is not much of an excuse... Since pop-culture definitions are almost always wrong.

Oh and would you consider Brock Lesnar a martial artist? Bear in mind that he has been know to compete in MMA sometimes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Technically true, but the key distinction is in the level of training. Also the fact that Superman uses martial arts not invented on Earth.

Like I said, pretty much every superhero ever is a martial artist by the technical definition.
    Also, using the pop-culture definition of a term is not much of an excuse... Since pop-culture definitions are almost always wrong.

The pop culture definition is not "wrong", it it simply not all-inclusive. Asian martial arts *are* martial arts, so nothing is "wrong" with what that google image search shows. They just happen to be the most popular form, and what most people think of when they hear the term.
    Oh and would you consider Brock Lesnar a martial artist? Bear in mind that he has been know to compete in MMA sometimes.

Yes, I would consider him a martial artist, but one person is not representative of an entire franchise. As I said before, most people would not consider the WWE a "martial arts" program. If they did, then you would see lots of pics of WWE matches in that google image search.

As I said before, you are technically right. I'm acknowledging that. You are simply not using the terminology in the way most commonly understood, which is where our misunderstanding came from.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,143 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I got a better cross franchise matchup.
    <.<
    >.>

Iron Man vs Batman
    :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The pop culture definition is not "wrong", it it simply not all-inclusive. Asian martial arts *are* martial arts, so nothing is "wrong" with what that google image search shows. They just happen to be the most popular form, and what most people think of when they hear the term.

Even so, it implies that other cultures have no form of martial arts of their own. That's why it's wrong.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    <.<
    >.>

Iron Man vs Batman

Iron Man and Batman are not really a good matchup for a battle(if that is what you are talking about). Yes, they both have rich alter-egos, and yes they both use tech. But beyond those bullet points you're talking about a guy in a metal armored suit with lasers and missile launchers vs a guy in body armor with martial arts skills. That's not really a fair comparison.

The closest comparison IMO would be Iron Man vs John Henry Irons aka Steel. The last DC vs Marvel crossover(that I am aware of) put Iron Man vs Green Lantern, but objectively speaking, the power ring is way more powerful than Iron Man's suit, so that is not really a good match up either.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Even so, it implies that other cultures have no form of martial arts of their own. That's why it's wrong.

No, it simply shows that one form of martial arts are the most commonly known and referred to by the term. But that is not an "implication" that no other form exists.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, it simply shows that one form of martial arts are the most commonly known and referred to by the term. But that is not an "implication" that no other form exists.

Actually, it is whether you want it to or not. By disputing that Superman was using "martial arts" by your understanding of the term, you're implying that others do not exist.

im·ply
    imˈplī/
    verb
    verb: imply; 3rd person present: implies; past tense: implied; past participle: implied; gerund or present participle: implying

strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated).
    "the salesmen who uses jargon to imply his superior knowledge"
    synonyms: insinuate, suggest, hint (at), intimate, say indirectly, indicate, give someone to understand, convey the impression, signal
    "are you implying he is mad?"
    (of a fact or occurrence) suggest (something) as a logical consequence.
    "the forecasted traffic increase implied more roads and more air pollution"
    synonyms: involve, entail; More
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    <.<
    >.>

Iron Man vs Batman

Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne: Big Pimpin' in Metropolis :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Actually, it is whether you want it to or not. By disputing that Superman was using "martial arts" by your understanding of the term, you're implying that others do not exist.

At no point in this conversation did I ever claim that Superman *never* used martial arts. What I asked for were specific examples of what markhawkman was talking about, and finally came to understand that by "martial arts" he meant "fighting skills", which every superhero has. You are very close to putting words in my mouth, and if you proceed to do that then I will happily do the same thing to you in response, which will mean I can accuse of of saying and reply to things that you never actually said. I'll play that game if you want, but it is pointless because we can both invent endless things that were not said and come up with a witty response.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    At no point in this conversation did I ever claim that Superman never used martial arts. What I asked for were specific examples of what markhawkman was talking about, and finally came to understand that by "martial arts" he meant "fighting skills", which every superhero has. You are very close to putting words in my mouth, and if you proceed to do that then I will happily do the same thing to you in response, which means that I can reply to things you never actually said.

:rolleyes: You didn't, did you?
    No martial art type moves...but maybe a little WWE =P
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,143 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Iron Man and Batman are not really a good matchup for a battle(if that is what you are talking about). Yes, they both have rich alter-egos, and yes they both use tech. But beyond those bullet points you're talking about a guy in a metal armored suit with lasers and missile launchers vs a guy in body armor with martial arts skills. That's not really a fair comparison.

Batman had a Black... Tank.
    The point was both Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are rich, and have resources that can be brought into play to counter each other. It would be basically an arms race for those two. The Iron Man armor does give Stark the early advantage, but Wayne (Specifically the Dark Knight Trilogy version) could potentially be able to find a countermeasure. And Stark doesn't have anything like the Batmobile, which in some circumstances could be more versitile than a suit of armor.

No Bat Cards needed for it either. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    :rolleyes: You didn't, did you?

No, I didn't. Didn't what? Didn't claim that "Superman *never* used martial arts". Saying I did not see him using "martial arts" in his 1 fight with Doomsday is not the same thing as saying he has *never* used "martial arts", ever. But again, it turns out that by "martial arts" markhawkman meant "any kind of fighting skill, at all". So by that meaning, yes, Superman and ever other superhero uses "martial arts" in every single fight they get in.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Batman doesn't even need to fight to win. All he has to do is say, 'I'm BATMAN!' and his opponents run away :D.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That statement was talking about 1 specific fight, with Doomsday, not every fight Superman has ever been in. Saying I did not see him using "martial arts" in his 1 fight with Doomsday is not the same thing as saying he has *never* used "martial arts", ever. But again, it turns out that by "martial arts" markhawkman meant "any kind of fighting skill, at all". So by that meaning, yes, Superman and ever other superhero uses "martial arts" in every single fight they get in.

You are backpedaling.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You are backpeddalling.

No, you either don't understand what I said, or are intentionally lying to try to make your point. If the former, I'll be happy to explain. If the latter, there is no point going any further with you. But note that I am not accusing you of the latter, and completely understand that it may simply be you do not understand.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, you either don't understand what I said, or are intentionally lying to try to make your point. If the former, I'll be happy to explain. If the latter, there is no point going any further with you. But note that I am not accusing you of the latter, and completely understand that it may simply be you do not understand.

Fine, then... "explain" what you meant, since I'm apparently too feeble to understand plain English and definitions of English words.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Fine, then... "explain" what you meant, since I'm apparently too feeble to understand plain English and definitions of English words.

To clarify, I'm not claiming you not understanding is due to any lack of intelligence on your part. It is quite common in conversation for people to misunderstand each other. That said, here are the 2 quotes you are comparing:
    At no point in this conversation did I ever claim that Superman *never* used martial arts.

The first quote is talking about 1 specific fight; Superman vs Doomsday. The second is talking about any time in Superman's history. Saying that I did not see Superman use "martial arts" in 1 specific fight is *not* the same thing as saying he has never used "martial arts" ever. It's really just that simple, but I realize you cannot read my mind, and misunderstood what I meant.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    To clarify, I'm not claiming you not understanding is due to any lack of intelligence on your part. It is quite common in conversation for people to misunderstand each other. That said, here are the 2 quotes you are comparing:

The first is talking about a specific fight; Superman vs Doomsday. The second is talking about any time ever. Saying I did not see Superman use "martial arts" in a specific fight is not the same thing as saying he has never used "martial arts" ever. It's really just that simple, but I realize you cannot read my mind, and misunderstood what I meant.

:rolleyes: Enjoy riding that bicycle backwards then, as that's what it looks like from here. But whatever helps you sleep easier, I suppose. Because a few posts after that, it became clear you were assuming the "pop" Asian definition rather than the technical definition markhawkman was using.

The record stands clear on that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    :rolleyes: Enjoy riding that bicycle backwards then, as that's what it looks like from here

I have bad news for you; I am not riding any bicycle. Therefore you are apparently suffering from some kind of hallucination. You should probably consult your doctor soon.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have bad news for you; I am not riding any bicycle. Therefore you are apparently suffering from some kind of hallucination. You should probably consult your doctor soon.

I was expanding on the backpedaling idiom. In case you do not know what an idiom is:

idiom
    [id-ee-uh m]

Synonyms
    Examples
    Word Origin

noun
    an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as kick the bucket or hang one's head, or from the general grammatical rules of a language, as the table round for the round table, and that is not a constituent of a larger expression of like characteristics.
    a language, dialect, or style of speaking peculiar to a people.
    a construction or expression of one language whose parts correspond to elements in another language but whose total structure or meaning is not matched in the same way in the second language.
    the peculiar character or genius of a language.
    a distinct style or character, in music, art, etc.:
    the idiom of Bach.