test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else catch the Batman v Superman trailer?

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
So it was leaked onto the web a couple of days early. Have to say, I'm unimpressed and if the story really goes how they are depicting in the trailer, this movie is going to an EPIC flop.

Anyone else catch it and if so, what were your thoughts?
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by valoreah on

Comments

• Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm afraid they lost me when they cast Ben Affleck as Batman :mad:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Looks like junk, but that's to be expected with how WB treats all the DC comics IP.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just watched it here. It looks good, but trailers usually do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Good?

SPOILER ALERT:

So Superman is the bad guy now? Come on.

This storyline has been developed plenty of times in the comics before, so I'm not sure what the problem is. In fact, it looks like the movie is borrowing a lot from what many people think to be one of the all time best Batman books, The Dark Knight Returns. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and read it. DC also made a pretty good animated movie version.

PS: I'm not saying the movie will or won't be good. I learned a long time ago how foolish it is to try to judge a movie from it's trailer. Episode 1 had a pretty amazing trailer, but look how that turned out.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I loved dark knight returns.
    And the animated movie stays true to the comics.
    And Robocop voices Batman.... Need I say more ?

I too am weary of Affleck as Batman, I hated that casting choice.
    But if Affleck can deliver a gritty "The Town" type performance... He might make an awesome Batman. I dunno, at first I didn't like it, but the more I consider it, he may end up doing a great job.
    That said, he also could end up doing a terrible job, with even just a few mis-steps.
    Ill hold my opinon until I see the final product.
    Will probably rent it on demand, but I have no intention of going to see it in the theater.

Edit: DC might have been better off to just make "The Dark Knight Returns" and name it as such.
    Maybe they didn't want to pay Frank Miller ???
    Seems to me like it would've been a much safer bet.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have read The Dark Knight Returns. Several times in fact. I own a leather bound copy of the collected works of Frank Miller on Batman.

That story was good. What's portrayed in the trailer is not.

Good, I was worried for a moment you weren't actually a comic fan, because it sounds like you were saying the idea of Superman being initially viewed as a threat sounded strange, when that idea has been used many times in the comics.

Also, I don't mind admitting that I straight up don't like the idea of Ben Affleck as Batman or Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor. My perfect casting would have been Josh Brolin for Batman and Brian Cranston for Luthor. Brolin is a great tough guy, but can also look professional as Wayne. As far as Cranston, I don't need to say much; he's a great actor with a great menacing voice. On a lesser note, I would have preferred Jamie Alexander as Wonder Woman.

All of that said, it is still foolish to judge a movie by it's trailer, so I will see it and *hope* it is better than I'm expecting it to be. Regardless of whether it is "good" or not, I have no doubt it will make a ton of money.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm not really on board with the idea of Superman being used as a threat because so far he hasn't even been used as a superhero. But then again WB/DC wants all of its movies to be Dark Knight rehashes, so what do you expect?

Marvel is making billions by taking their comic IPs and putting them on the screen in more or less exactly the way we want to see them - serious when necessary, goofy because superhero comics are inherently goofy by their very premise. DC I guess has made a few billion dollars itself, but that's all solely on the Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises - which would be a great source of market research if Iron Man 3 didn't make more than Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers didn't make more than The Dark Knight. The fact that Batman is succeeding with grim and gritty movies doesn't mean that every superhero will, and WB/DC should stop trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

Guardians of the Galaxy took home a hundred million dollars more at the box office than Man of Steel did. The Winter Soldier took home seventy-five million more. Both of them did so with smaller budgets (195 million and 170 million respectively, compared to Man of Steel's 225 million), and they did so by giving into audience expectation rather than trying to bring the audience over to what they want the audience to like.

Take a hint, WB/DC.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    That honestly looks better than expected, but trailers are meant to look awesome. The Dark Knight Rises had great trailers, but that felt a little disjointed to me... and I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan.

I'm still pissed WB/DC felt the need to put Batman's name in the freaking title of a Superman sequel. They are running to try and catch up to Marvel, and it shows.

Superman: Dawn of Justice would have been a great title.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    That honestly looks better than expected, but trailers are meant to look awesome. The Dark Knight Rises had great trailers, but that felt a little disjointed to me... and I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan.

A little disjointed?

When Bane and crew escape Wall Street on motorcycles - which they apparently pulled out of their asses, seriously where were they keeping those things - it was broad daylight. But as soon as the chase with Batman begins it's the dead of night. Either we moved several hours in the course of a single scene change and a single chase scene (perhaps Bane and his crew were hungry after the heist and stopped off at a Taco Bell), or Daylight Savings Time is very strictly enforced in the Dark Knight universe, or else Nolan made a mistake heretofore most strongly associated with Plan 9 from Outer Space. That is seriously an Ed Wood level gaffe.

That's just one problem with the movie; I literally have a list of ninety or so, ranging from the pedantic and inane to the seriously problematic from a storytelling standpoint. The more you reflect on the movie the worse it seems.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    A little disjointed?

When Bane and crew escape Wall Street on motorcycles - which they apparently pulled out of their asses, seriously where were they keeping those things - it was broad daylight. But as soon as the chase with Batman begins it's the dead of night. Either we moved several hours in the course of a single scene change and a single chase scene (perhaps Bane and his crew were hungry after the heist and stopped off at a Taco Bell), or Daylight Savings Time is very strictly enforced in the Dark Knight universe, or else Nolan made a mistake heretofore most strongly associated with Plan 9 from Outer Space. That is seriously an Ed Wood level gaffe.

That's just one problem with the movie; I literally have a list of ninety or so, ranging from the pedantic and inane to the seriously problematic from a storytelling standpoint. The more you reflect on the movie the worse it seems.

Oh, indeed.

I remember leaving the movie feeling emotionally satisfied, but after thinking about the plot for more than five minutes... yeah, LOL. Bruce Wayne hiding for eight years never made sense, Joseph Gordon-Levitt being able to simply figure out Batman's identity by looking at Wayne (and Wayne being okay with that) also was a stretch... Then again, the rumors were that they wanted to do something with The Joker in the third film, but that was obviously derailed by Heath Ledger's sad death. :( Glad they didn't pull a Maggie Gyllenhaul and try and recast him, at least.

I just think they tried to do too much in TDKR... I mean, they went for Talia Al-Guhl... that at least gets an E for effort. :P
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Regarding tone, I agree DC is getting it wrong. Nolan's trilogy was a self contained thing. The fact that they aren't continuing that Batman's story and there is no shared universe between those movies and the new ones means they don't all have to have that same tone. If there is one word that describes the Marvel movies to me, it is "fun". If there is one word that describes the DC movies so far, it is "dark". While I do enjoy many "dark" movies, "fun" is just more...fun :P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And another thing...

Why aren't the DC TV shows tied into the movie universe?

I don't watch them, but I've heard good things about Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    And another thing...

Why aren't the DC TV shows tied into the movie universe?

I don't watch them, but I've heard good things about Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham.

DC is lazy? I don't know. However regarding Flash, I think that is probably the closest DC has gotten to the Marvel "fun" feel. It's a shame they won't bring that to their movies.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good?

SPOILER ALERT:

So Superman is the bad guy now? Come on.
    Given the PoV of the trailer, IE a human who feels vastly inferior and wants to prove they can fight, it seems about right to me.

A similar plot hook has been used for most of the fights between Batman and Superman. Anyways this movie is set at a point in time before Batman and Superman got to know each other.

As for Sif... yeah no. Sure she'd be good as Wonder Woman, but...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yep. It's a shame too as the camaraderie between Batman and Superman could make for some great comedic moments, like it did in the JLU animated series.

It is still possible there will be some of that. As I'm sure you know, they can make a comedy look like a drama and vice versa depending on what scenes they select for the trailer. So while I have no doubt this new movie will definitely have that same stupid dark tone in general, there is a possibility there are some scenes like you mention that that simply did not include in the trailer.

On another note, I forgot to mention earlier but DC did actually try to break out of their "dark" mold a few years ago with Green Lantern. Unfortunately it was a bad movie and it bombed, but I just mention it to clarify that it is not completely true that they refuse to try more lighthearted tones.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this will be a truly "EPIC" wait for netflix title... :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    this will be a truly "EPIC" wait for netflix title... :D
    While you wait, you should watch Summer Glau in Batman/Superman: Apocalypse.

apparently that film is a true stand alone since it doesn't actually use the same universe as any of the other DC stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    On another note, I forgot to mention earlier but DC did actually try to break out of their "dark" mold a few years ago with Green Lantern.

Given that Green Lantern was the third post-Batman Begins DC comic movie (inclusive), I'm not really sure that WB/DC had a mold to break quite yet (it is, in particular, worth remembering that Batman Begins had its genuinely comedic moments in it, too - "at least we'll have spares," Bruce "sticking up" Gordon with a stapler, etc.). Plus one of the complaints about the movie was that it was, itself, kinda' dark - in the literal sense, with Oa depicted as cloudy gray-green rather than the shining, bright appearance it usually takes in the comics.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Plus one of the complaints about the movie was that it was, itself, kinda' dark - in the literal sense, with Oa depicted as cloudy gray-green rather than the shining, bright appearance it usually takes in the comics.

You're talking about lighting; I'm talking about tone :P

But I agree the "dark tone" rut that they are now in was not quite as deep when that movie came out.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You're talking about lighting; I'm talking about tone :P

But I agree the "dark tone" rut that they are now in was not quite as deep when that movie came out.
    I blame the popularity of the Nolan-verse.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    See, the thing is that I'm one of the three people in the world who liked Superman Returns. I love it, actually, wholeheartedly, unironically. Having said that, I do understand that it has its flaws, and I can in particular understand that people wish that Superman had someone to punch in that film.

I think that a blend between Man of Steel and Superman Returns could have actually given us everything that we wanted. Keep the basic plotline of Man of Steel but change the Kryptonian's kryptoforming process to "grow an island" rather than whatever their giant spider of doom was supposed to do. Drop the Kryptonite laced into the island from Returns, obviously - however with a continent of crystal growing out of the ocean you now have a huge empty area for Superman and the Kryptonians to throw down in that doesn't have any people in it but still has giant crystal spires and stuff to break to show off Superman's power. Metropolis can suffer from flooding as a result of the growing island (and I'd also keep the bit from Returns with Superman flying around the city saving people by stopping gas mane fires, shards of glass, and catching the Daily Planet ball and lowering it to the ground) but the damage from the flooding isn't going to be as apocalyptic as in Man of Steel. Superman defeats each of the Kryptonians but doesn't kill any of them.

In the end Superman lifts the island out of the ocean and carries it into space as per Superman Returns, where he can grow it into a Phantom Zone portal that is open for Reasons; I'm summarizing here, someone else can think up a way to get a Phantom Zone portal open - maybe Lois can be on the Kryptonian ship and be the one who opened the portal in space. In fact, let's go with that. The Kryptonian ship in orbit is going to be absorbed into the Phantom Zone, Superman busts into it to save Lois. That's when Zod appears, having avoided being sucked into the Phantom Zone unlike Ursa and Non or whatever the Kryptonians were named.

Superman and Zod throw down inside of the Kryptonian ship, Zod generally winning because Superman is exhausted from hauling an island into orbit, until eventually Superman gets the upper hand somehow and has to kill Zod (or at least seemingly do so - I'd go for more laser blast straight to the face that sends Zod tumbling awy into the Phantom Zone, leaving his status ambiguous) to prevent him from killing Lois; then Superman grabs Lois and brings her back to Earth by sealing her in an airtight thingamabob that will let her survive the brief trip in hard vacuum while the rest of the Kryptonian ship in orbit gets sucked into the Phantom Zone and the portal closes.

They arrive on Earth, places (like Metropolis) are damaged but not as completely as we saw in Man of Steel, the woman saying "he saved us" as Superman returns to Metropolis with Lois can actually feel genuine rather than immediately cutting to a blasted and ruined city as per Man of Steel. People can cheer for Superman (except for maybe one bald guy in the crowd - Easter egg!), Superman can say something heroic and uplifting, smile for the camera, and fly off. Roll credits.

There. Done. And no need for Man of Murder jokes because, as pointed out above, I'd keep the scene where we see Superman, even in the midst of a giant crystal island growing in the middle of the Atlantic, stopping on his way to save everyday, normal people while he can.

(My favorite scene in Amazing Spider-Man 2 is in the beginning when Spider-Man stops a bunch of kids bullying another kid, helps the kid fix his damaged science project, and then walks the kid home. That is a superhero, people - not the guy who saves the world, but the guy for whom no one's problems are too small or unimportant)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    See, the thing is that I'm one of the three people in the world who liked Superman Returns.

I actually liked it more than Man of Steel, I think, although both disappointed me. I really liked the *cast* of Superman Returns, I just think it was a bad story. If they had taken that same cast but done an origin story(but with a lighter tone than MoS) I would have loved it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg