test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else catch the Batman v Superman trailer?

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was expanding on the backpedaling idiom.

Don't worry, I understand what you meant. Just like I understand saying someone is "backpedaling" is just an easy way to try to avoid the actual point. There are 2 clear differences between the 2 statements you were comparing, but once explained you simply ignored that and moved on other posts without ever acknowledging being wrong about the previous point.

PS: bad news, I have to leave for a bit. Feel free to try again and I'll get back to it later :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WWE doesn't use fighting. WWE uses acting.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't worry, I understand what you meant. Just like I understand saying someone is "backpedaling" is just an easy way to try to avoid the actual point. There are 2 clear differences between the 2 statements you were comparing, but once explained you simply ignored that and moved on other posts without ever acknowledging being wrong about the previous point. It's OK though :D

No, you're just simply backpedaling. It turned out that you were wrong, so you went back and modified your argument so you could try it again.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Unfortunately my bike won't start, so I'm back sooner than I had hoped. Now, where were we?
    No, you're just simply backpedaling.

No, you still don't understand what I actually meant.

^^^See, I can do it too. Saying "No, blah blah blah" is not a real reply, but we can do it as long as you want. But no, I didn't "modify" anything. Long story short, you think I meant one thing, I explained that I meant something else, you refuse to accept the explanation, rinse and repeat.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK this thread is getting boring.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    OK this thread is getting boring.

Got any new thoughts to add? Something more interesting? Look forward to hearing them :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My initial post about covered it.

I can add:
    Of course DC is desperate to catch up to the Marvel juggernaut, so how much they are now rushing these movies out may be blatantly obvious, story-wise. So many pitfalls for them, and given the disappointing Green Lantern they are climbing out of a hole. Dawn of Justice really needs to knock it out of the park.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    My initial post about covered it.

I can add:
    Of course DC is desperate to catch up to the Marvel juggernaut, so how much they are now rushing these movies out may be blatantly obvious, story-wise. So many pitfalls for them, and given the disappointing Green Lantern they are climbing out of a hole. Dawn of Justice really needs to knock it out of the park.

I *hope* DoJ will be great; I really do. And I actually like the trailer, but that means nothing at this point. There are rumors about Chris Pine being cast as GL, and I kind of like that idea. Despite the whole Batfleck thing, I think they could possibly wind up with a pretty good Justice League if they get the remaining roles cast well.

PS: regarding the Chris Pine/GL rumor, it's kind of amusing they are about to do a Trek/GL comic crossover story.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Like I said, pretty much every superhero ever is a martial artist by the technical definition.
    True, however it is a matter of degree. And I would rank Superman above most. IIRC it was Karate Kid of the LOSH who said it best. He was a level 10 martial artist, Batman was level 9. Most superheros wouldn't rate above a 3 since that's not the sort of thing they do. I'd say Superman is at least a 5.
    The pop culture definition is not "wrong", it it simply not all-inclusive. Asian martial arts *are* martial arts, so nothing is "wrong" with what that google image search shows. They just happen to be the most popular form, and what most people think of when they hear the term.
    I'd be willing to wager that your definition excludes half of the Asian martial arts too. You probably think of stuff like ninjas and kung fu masters and little else. You certainly sound like you wouldn't consider Sumo, or Kyokushinryu(technically a form of karate but it's not like what you see in "Karate Kid".
    Yes, I would consider him a martial artist, but one person is not representative of an entire franchise. As I said before, most people would not consider the WWE a "martial arts" program. If they did, then you would see lots of pics of WWE matches in that google image search.

As I said before, you are technically right. I'm acknowledging that. You are simply not using the terminology in the way most commonly understood, which is where our misunderstanding came from.
    Brock isn't the only example. I'm not sure about a lot of the more recent talent but I know that Steve Blackman and Kurt Angle were actually pretty good fighters IRL.
    jonsills wrote: »
    WWE doesn't use fighting. WWE uses acting.
    More like stunt fighting the way they do it in movies. It does take skill to do it right, and someone who doesn't know any actual combat skills takes a lot longer to learn it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Unfortunately my bike won't start, so I'm back sooner than I had hoped. Now, where were we?

No, you still don't understand what I actually meant.

^^^See, I can do it too. Saying "No, blah blah blah" is not a real reply, but we can do it as long as you want. But no, I didn't "modify" anything. Long story short, you think I meant one thing, I explained that I meant something else, you refuse to accept the explanation, rinse and repeat.

No, because while your initial point was proven wrong, you started saying "Oh, but this is what I really meant." That's backpedaling.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, because while your initial point was proven wrong, you started saying "Oh, but this is what I really meant." That's backpedaling.

Since you are just repeating yourself at this point, here is the link to my previous reply. And no, you didn't prove anything wrong, you just proved you didn't understand. But feel free to keep repeating yourself and I will keep giving you the same link.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    True, however it is a matter of degree. And I would rank Superman above most. IIRC it was Karate Kid of the LOSH who said it best. He was a level 10 martial artist, Batman was level 9. Most superheros wouldn't rate above a 3 since that's not the sort of thing they do. I'd say Superman is at least a 5.

Since you are just making up a random number for Superman, I won't disagree with you. It's your opinion, no more, no less.
    I'd be willing to wager that your definition excludes half of the Asian martial arts too.

I never stated "my definition". I gave you a google image search to illustrate what the general perception is. Whether you agree with that general perception or not is fine either way.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So um, I just noticed something pretty hilarious. It's like this:

A) there were no replies in this thread for almost 2 hours

B) suddenly, markhawkman and kojirohellfire reply back to back, within 3 minutes of each other

C) markhawkman's post was edited 3 minutes after he posted it

D) both markhawkman and kojirohellfire were replying to me about the exact same "martial arts" issue

E) both markhawkman and kojirohellfire have what appear to be female Romulan avatars

Are you guys alts or something? Quick, one of you log onto the other account and say it's not true :D

PS: here is a little screenshot I made showing all the times in case any edits are made =P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Batman Vs Superman?

Well DC is on course to killing the classics and they are on schedule im done with anything DC or Marvel.

They both just keep messing up thier products so badly its not worth reading and or watching.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Batman Vs Superman?

Well DC is on course to killing the classics and they are on schedule im done with anything DC or Marvel.

They both just keep messing up thier products so badly its not worth reading and or watching.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it *sounds* like you are saying the "Batman vs Superman" concept makes no sense. Am I understanding you right or not? If so, what do you mean? This story has taken place many times and in many ways in the comics, so this is not something they are inventing all of a sudden.

As far as comic in general, Dynamite Entertainment is one of my favorite companies. They have the rights to a lot of the old characters; The Lone Ranger, Zorro, The Shadow, Warlord of Mars, etc. But their stories are very modern and edgy. It's really good stuff and I would highly recommend it to any comic fan.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it *sounds* like you are saying the "Batman vs Superman" concept makes no sense. Am I understanding you right or not? If so, what do you mean? This story has taken place many times and in many ways in the comics, so this is not something they are inventing all of a sudden.

As far as comic in general, Dynamite Entertainment is one of my favorite companies. They have the rights to a lot of the old characters; The Lone Ranger, Zorro, The Shadow, Warlord of Mars, etc. But their stories are very modern and edgy. It's really good stuff and I would highly recommend it to any comic fan.

Why keep rehashing old tales over and over again

why does both DC and Marvel think they need to take the classic super heros and take a massive dump on them.

This movies is just telling a tired story over again how many times do we have to see a batman vs superman story,comic or movie?

Its just tiresome and i for one am tired of both DC and Marvel.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Why keep rehashing old tales over and over again

why does both DC and Marvel think they need to take the classic super heros and take a massive dump on them.

This movies is just telling a tired story over again how many times do we have to see a batman vs superman story,comic or movie?

Its just tiresome and i for one am tired of both DC and Marvel.

As far as comics go, the constant reboots and new #1 issues is kind of silly, but it helps draw in new readers, so I at least understand why they do it. As far as the movies themselves, are you suggesting they *not* start with the origin and work from there? For the mass audience who aren't comic fans, that would probably not work very well except with the most famous heroes who everyone already knows their origin. They could probably do a Superman or Batman movie without explaining where they "came" from because that is pretty well known in pop culture, but there are not many heroes that would work for. Or are you talking about something completely different?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You people are just hilarious with all these assumptions and more bluntly... BS.

It doesn't matter how "strong" Batman is, he will never be as stong as Superman regardless what the heck he takes to be stronger. The fact of the matter is he is a normal human. There are people out there can lift far mor then you, this guy lifts 200 more then the world record of 1000 and all of a sudden he can on someone that can lift a plane?.. Are you serious?

Do you people even think before you type down these things?
    We are comparing abilities and POWERS... Batman has NO powers.
    In comics or in real life, Batman is HUMAN, SUPERMAN is SUPERhuman.

Batman can punch Superman on the chest regardless how hard he does it...
    Superman won't even move, his clothing probably wont even flinch.
    https://youtu.be/ihUIPlLw2ZE
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    zeatrex wrote: »
    You people are just hilarious with all these assumptions and more bluntly... BS.

It doesn't matter how "strong" Batman is, he will never be as stong as Superman regardless what the heck he takes to be stronger. The fact of the matter is he is a normal human. There are people out there can lift far mor then you, this guy lifts 200 more then the world record of 1000 and all of a sudden he can on someone that can lift a plane?.. Are you serious?

Do you people even think before you type down these things?
    We are comparing abilities and POWERS... Batman has NO powers.
    In comics or in real life, Batman is HUMAN, SUPERMAN is SUPERhuman.

I don't think anyone denies Superman is stronger than Batman. And because of that "fact"(this is all ficitonal), I don't think anyone denies that Superman would KILL Batman in a hand-to-hand fight. That is all pretty common sense. That is like saying an adult would kill a newborn baby in a fight. It's not even a competition.

But using the previous example, the fact that an adult could kill a baby in a fight does not mean the adult is an awesome fighter, it just means that the baby doesn't stand a fair chance. The game goes for a Superman v Batman hand-to-hand fight. Yes, Superman would win, but only because Batman doesn't stand a chance. If Batman actually had the same level of strength as Superman, he simply has more fighting skill than Superman in hand-to-hand combat.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    it just means that the baby doesn't stand a fair chance.
    It's not a fair match but it is what it is.
    Even when Superman had no powers he still beat Batman.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It's not a fair match but it is what it is.

You're right, it is what it is, and it is all fiction. And since it is fiction, we can create any hypothetical scenario we want to even the odds. If Batman actually had the same level of strength as Superman(it doesn't matter how you want to explain it), he simply has more fighting skill, since that is what Batman specializes in.

Even when Superman had no powers he still beat Batman.

What story are you referring to?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    fiction fiction fiction fiction fiction fiction fiction
    Can you drop the fiction TRIBBLE already?.. No one is talking about if it is fiction or not, we are talking about common sense.
    What story are you referring to?
    It's in my long post, read it instead of replying without even reading people's post.
    That's another problem with people, they reply to others without even reading their statements.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Can you drop the fiction TRIBBLE already?

No, I will talk about the fact that this is fiction whenever I want.
    It's in my long post, read it instead of replying without even reading people's post.
    That's another problem with people, they reply to others without even reading their statements.

What post are you talking about? Earlier in this thread?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ok, I found your earlier post, that was a lot of pages ago, so I forgot about it. But it seems you never replied to my last post to you. You know, the one where I pointed out you were completely wrong about Superman's powers always being the same?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, I will talk about the fact that this is fiction whenever I want.
    Then stop wasting my time with your BS.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Then stop wasting my time with your BS.
    Didn't even take the time to read my post, especially my first one which was the most important one - yet coming over here with even more BS.

You can call it BS all you want, it doesn't bother me. And as far as your time goes, I'm not making you read this thread, so if you think you are wasting your time you only have yourself to blame for that.

Anyway, to recap: yes we all know Superman is stronger than Batman. No one denies that. So Superman beating Batman in a fight is not impressive in any way. No more so than a full grown man beating up a baby. That's not impressive, its pathetic. But if Superman and Batman were on the same level of strength, Batman simply has more fighting skills.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You can call it BS all you want, it doesn't bother me. To recap, yes we all know Superman is stronger than Batman. No one denies that. So Superman beating Batman in a fight is not impressive in any way. No more so than a full grown man beating up a baby. That's not impressive, its pathetic. But if Superman and Batman were on the same level of strength, Batman simply has more fighting skills.
    Superman is one person, there is only ONE real Superman and all knows his real powers. Not all this alternative world/universe TRIBBLE that pretty much was thought out because DC ran out of ideas. It isn't pathetic at all, it shows that Superman can take over the world but doesn't, why?

Because he is a decent man.
    Something that doesn't even exist in real life anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Superman is one person, there is only ONE real Superman and all knows his real powers. Not all this alternative world/universe TRIBBLE that pretty much was thought out because DC ran out of ideas.

I hate to break it to you, but none of this is "real". You may prefer one certain story to another, but the fact is all of the multiple universes and what-not in comics are all equally "real", and all equally not real.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Superman can beat Batman even without powers in his own title because he's the star.

Batman can beat Superman even with Supes all powered up in Bats' own title because he's the star.

It's all about who's scripted to win. So in that sense, it is a bit like WWE...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I hate to break it to you, but none of this is "real". You may prefer one certain story to another, but the fact is all of the multiple universes and what-not in comics are all equally "real", and all equally not real.

I already told you the reasons to why to all the alternative universes, lol!