Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs, can we haz oldschool shard?

Comments

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    riyottsa wrote: »
    Well, you've all heard it right here. STO is dead. Any idea how much longer you'll have your job, Taco?

Wha? The game is dead because we won't keep a 5 year old version of the game indefinitely running parallel to the actual game?

Curious.

dgdolph wrote: »
    First of all, thank you very much for your answer! On a second thought, your post makes me really wonder.

If it really was "a ton of work to get this old build functioning", then why did you take it off after only 1 and a half day? Noone was really able to credit that hard work. I played for 45 minutes before it got shut down again and a lot of others were still patching and didn't have a chance at all.

If it was that much work, why didn't you at least let it last for 1 or 2 weeks so everyone has a chance to play and credit your hard work?

That was a decision made much higher up the food chain. If I had to guess, I'd say it's two fold. 1) It was an April Fool's joke. April Fool's being a single day. Generally you don't keep those jokes going after April 1. And 2) Delta Recruiting starting yesterday. We don't want to cannibalize players that might be starting recruits, by having them play an old build that's just going to be taken down anyway.

Anyways, thx for clarifications. At least I now know that PvP is never ever going to recover. It's dead for good and I finally can move on to another game :)

Uh, that's a bit of a leap. Just because we're not going to be running a 5 year old build as a separate PVP shard, doesn't mean that PVP will never see an update. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only thing in the last 3-4 Years that cryptic made good was Bringing the OLD STO on Redshirt.
    Players Liked it.. and the players still want to see it. i didnt get a chance to play it.. but i know i'd love it there. old earth space dock... very old, and easy playing.. and fun playing.

if the STO Rebirth comes back... Players will REALLY love it.. more players will be attracted to it.. old players who played this game years ago... and i bet quite a lot of players would even Pay for it.
    so please... Bring back The Old Star Trek Online to redshirt, it will make a lot of players Really happy.. like me :D
    You may want it, but you're going to have to come to the realization that it will never happen...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh, that's a bit of a leap. Just because we're not going to be running a 5 year old build as a separate PVP shard, doesn't mean that PVP will never see an update. . .

Considering it hasn't been touched in over 3 years and even that was a addition of a private que and a subtraction of game types.

When should we expect a PvP update ?
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    PvP trolls? Srsly? Trolling is the most "unPvP'ish" thing I can imagine...

And btw, congrats on beeing a bad person. You also love to make fun of dead ill humans and war victems? I wouldn't be suprised. YOU sir are the troll.

Okay now I know its a little late but april fools is over...

Of course there are PvP trolls is the same with every game with PvP there will always be trolls.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The Rebirth joke(?) was...interesting. Apparently it took a lot of work, which could have arguably been better used for other things, but oh well. I do agree that removing something the very next day that people spent hours patching is not a very cool move. Leaving it for the whole weekend would have been much more reasonable.

lol that would of been fan service and would not of served the jokes purpose.

If anyone downloaded it then they clearly believed it and should get absolutely no sympathy for falling for it.

Those who didnt knew it was april 1st so we didnt bother.

plain and simple.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    Considering it hasn't been touched in over 3 years and even that was a addition of a private que and a subtraction of game types.

When should we expect a PvP update ?

Why are you asking the art guy about a PvP update?
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Can you tell us a dev that will answer questions about pvp?
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can you tell us a dev that will answer questions about pvp?

Whether he can or not still has nothing to do with the fact that you are talking to the wrong one.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That was a decision made much higher up the food chain. If I had to guess, I'd say it's two fold. 1) It was an April Fool's joke. April Fool's being a single day. Generally you don't keep those jokes going after April 1. And 2) Delta Recruiting starting yesterday. We don't want to cannibalize players that might be starting recruits, by having them play an old build that's just going to be taken down anyway.

Any chance we can get this running for about a week after Delta Recruitment is over and Season 10 is launched so Redshirt has lost its current use?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    lol that would of been fan service and would not of served the jokes purpose.

If anyone downloaded it then they clearly believed it and should get absolutely no sympathy for falling for it.

Those who didnt knew it was april 1st so we didnt bother.

plain and simple.

No, you completely misunderstood the situation. The people who downloaded it did not believe it was a real thing that was actually going to happen to the real game; they knew it was just a joke. The reason they downloaded it was because they wanted to see the old game again, for purely nostalgic purposes.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Whether he can or not still has nothing to do with the fact that you are talking to the wrong one.

He's the one that suggested the possibility of a future update. Unless your suggesting he works offsite somewhere or in a special room in the basement, and isn't ever graced by conversation with his coworkers. Perhaps he only sees them when they come down to share some baby ruth with him. Beats me.

He made the suggestion... I asked him to clarify. I was nice... no need to stand up and defend his honour there folks.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have to agree here. They should have left it a week or something to give people a chance to try it after downloading it. I only got to play the tutorial before it was taken down without warning.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wha? The game is dead because we won't keep a 5 year old version of the game indefinitely running parallel to the actual game?

Curious.

Oh snap.

Considering we're building up for the big push against the Iconians, I wonder...
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, you completely misunderstood the situation. The people who downloaded it did not believe it was a real thing that was actually going to happen to the real game; they knew it was just a joke. The reason they downloaded it was because they wanted to see the old game again, for purely nostalgic purposes. And my point remains, deleting something the next day that people spent hours downloading is not cool.

well "traditionally" speaking, April fools would be over by the next day..

so it would kind of just drag on...

then people would spam the forum for it to stay longer and longer and longer.

Look like i said, it was clearly a joke most of us knew it.

If you downloaded it fully well and knowing it was a joke then you are just as foolish as those who believed it. Hence why I didnt bother.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gurluas wrote: »
    I have to agree here. They should have left it a week or something to give people a chance to try it after downloading it.

A week is a bit much for a couple of reasons. One is because it actually costs money to run additional servers. Second is because they are running a promotion on the main server. But just for this weekend would have been pretty reasonable IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From another topic:
    What cryptic just did from a PvPers point of view:

Imagine you are a little boy who is disabled and cannot walk. You don't have cloths and nothing to eat. You're doomed to dwell in a dark pit that you cannot leave on you own.
    For many years, you've been telling your parents that you would love to have some warm cloths, something to eat, some light and a way to leave the pit or at least be able to move a bit on your own. But your parents keep on telling you that they can't afford helping you and nothing ever happened, and it's getting worse and worse and worse...

Then suddenly one day, on april 1st, your parents show up and they bring you:
    - some warm cloths, 2nd hand and slightly worn down - but still better than nothing
    - some cheap rice to cook - nothin special, but still better than nothing
    - some candles to light up the place - not many, but it's at least some light
    - and finally even a wheelchair - an old one, but still it will improve your life a lot!

You enjoy these things all day long and think to yourself: "Hey, life could be worse, I'm finally starting to smile again and have some fun!"

On April 2nd, your parents visit you again and tell you: "HAHA, april fool! You cannot keep any of those things!" And then they start burning all the stuff to ashes and walk away leaving you hungry in that dark and cold pit.

And that's what cryptic just did!

If the launch build wasn't actually on the server. It just would have been a bad joke. But it was there, they were proving that what lot's of people hope for is possible. But they didn't do that to make us happy, they only did it to laugh at us and to show us what we cannot have!
    cryptic in a nutshell
    Wow...

If you are truly comparing players of STO to a disabled child being kept in the bottom of a cold dark pit, it's time to take action. I have good news for you: while the poor waif in that story had no way of getting out, you do:

SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER.

Get real, people.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you downloaded it fully well and knowing it was a joke then you are just as foolish as those who believed it. Hence why I didnt bother.

First, do you actually know what the word "nostalgia" means? If not, then there is no point going any further. But if you do, then wanting to see the old game again purely for nostalgia is not "foolish". Some people enjoy looking back, and there is nothing wrong with that. What *is* wrong is the fact that you feel the need to resort to insults to try to make your point.

Personally, I did not bother. I did think for a moment that it might be fun to see, but then I remembered the new ships I just bought and the whole Delta event and decided to just spend my time on live. So my comments in this thread are not born out of some personal resentment for the way it was handled, simply my ability to realize other people may feel that way.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    Wow...

If you are truly comparing players of STO to a disabled child being kept in the bottom of a cold dark pit, it's time to take action. I have good news for you: while the poor waif in that story had no way of getting out, you do:

SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER.

Get real, people.

+1

people do know there is a world outside their little reality bubble right?

I hope im right.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    well "traditionally" speaking, April fools would be over by the next day..

so it would kind of just drag on...

then people would spam the forum for it to stay longer and longer and longer.

Look like i said, it was clearly a joke most of us knew it.

I joined at the end of Season 7, so I never never got to experience anything like Launch STO.
    So it was quite amazing for me to see it, and I really wish I could have played more than 20 minutes before it got taken down. It's like going back to the roots.

I obviously didn't believe the joke, but I did want to see the original STO.
    and I bet many others felt the same way.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    He's the one that suggested the possibility of a future update. Unless your suggesting he works offsite somewhere or in a special room in the basement, and isn't ever graced by conversation with his coworkers. Perhaps he only sees them when they come down to share some baby ruth with him. Beats me.

He made the suggestion... I asked him to clarify. I was nice... no need to stand up and defend his honour there folks.

He said PvP may be updated one day, that is all. That is an extremely broad statement, and something anyone can say. It does not in any way imply he can answer specific questions such as when it may happen or what it may involve.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    He said PvP may be updated one day, that is all. That is an extremely broad statement, and something anyone can say. It does not in any way imply he can answer specific questions such as when it may happen or what it may involve.

Heh, he technically didn't even say that. All he said was what he said.

"Just because we're not going to be running a 5 year old build as a separate PVP shard, doesn't mean that PVP will never see an update. . ."

It's all the other stuff that's happened and happening...that's what means PvP will never see an update. Has nothing to do with Rebirth. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    First, do you actually know what the word "nostalgia" means? If not, then there is no point going any further. But if you do, then wanting to see the old game again purely for nostalgia is not "foolish". That said, it is pretty sad that you feel the need to resort to insults to try to make your point.

Oh how amusing. The assumptions in this post are hilarious.

Of course I know what nostalgia means. But it was a joke it was not meant to invoke nostalgia it was merely for a laugh, if you didn't find it funny then that's your problem, if you wanted the joke to continue then you clearly don't understand that not all jokes are meant to last long.

No it is not foolish to want to be nostalgic, it is however foolish to know it was a joke and still try to download it. Nice try, but you should try harder when twisting someones words.

"resorting to insults" oh please... grow up. even if its just for 5 seconds.

I will not apologise for speaking the truth even if it does offend someone, what's the old saying? "the truth hurts". It was foolish.
  • Options
    riyotthelperriyotthelper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It's dead due to the horrible decisions and Korean grind clone and the declining player base. Retro STO being back up brought back more people than any of the past few updates and was the greatest chance for STO being decent again. Heko probably didn't enjoy people praising the contentless, horribly balanced old STO other than his unfun, second-job levels of grind STO.

Also with Iconian content coming out, and Iconians being the known end of the story line it's quite obvious this game is going into maintenance mode soon after. Champions being a prime example of how this game is going to end up in a few months.

#gaem is ded
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gurluas wrote: »
    I joined at the end of Seaosn 7, so I never never got to experience anything like Launch STO.
    So it was quite amazing for me to see it, and I really wish I could have played more than 20 minutes before it got taken down. It's like going back to the roots.

I obviously didn't believe the joke, but I did want to see the original STO.
    and I bet many others felt the same way.

Of course thats natural, hell i would of liked to but i knew it was a joke and wouldnt last past the day. server strain, code breaks etc.

The problem with the launch though was it was so utterly terrible that it makes the current version seem incredibly good which is why I didnt bother with playing until it went F2P. it does have its "defenders" though.
  • Options
    apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Of course I know what nostalgia means. But it was a joke it was not meant to invoke nostalgia it was merely for a laugh, if you didn't find it funny then that's your problem, if you wanted the joke to continue then you clearly don't understand that not all jokes are meant to last long.

No it is not foolish to want to be nostalgic, it is however foolish to know it was a joke and still try to download it. Nice try, but you should try harder when twisting someones words.

"resorting to insults" oh please... grow up. even if its just for 5 seconds.

I will not apologise for speaking the truth even if it does offend someone, what's the old saying? "the truth hurts". It was foolish.

Come on, man, you're just being mean now. So what if people wanted to download a joke for the sake of nostalgia? It doesn't affect you, you don't need to mock the people that did it.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's dead due to the horrible decisions and Korean grind clone and the declining player base. Retro STO being back up brought back more people than any of the past few updates and was the greatest chance for STO being decent again. Heko probably didn't enjoy people praising the contentless, horribly balanced old STO other than his unfun, second-job levels of grind STO.

Also with Iconian content coming out, and Iconians being the known end of the story line it's quite obvious this game is going into maintenance mode soon after. Champions being a prime example of how this game is going to end up in a few months.

#gaem is ded
    Right, it's dead. However, there is a minor issue with your "claim," and that issue is that there are players who are actively still playing the game, so if the game is dead, wouldn't the server be shut down already? With regard to the "grind" of STO, it's only a "grind" if you think of it that way...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Which is why I asked him to elaborate on that. Yes I as a PAYING customer would like to know when they plan to touch the only thing about there product I give a toss about.

In any event I wasn't directing my ? at you. I would rather hear from Mr. Fangs. If they are planning a PvP update... it will most likely involve new art, as we all know the old maps need to be deleted and recreated for them to move forward. So he would 100% be involved in an actual PvP update.

So yes I was and am asking him. If there is something in the works, and he can't say anything yet. Then if hes still reading he should pass it along to his bosses, it wouldn't be a bad idea to detail it if its a go. If it isn't even on the boards... perhaps he should suggest to his bosses that they consider putting it on there.

Regardless... I still post and I even still throw them a little $ here and there I admit it. Its been getting less and less however, and I haven't bothered logging in since the newest delta new toon junk this week. Honestly I find fewer and fewer reasons to log in anymore. I have went from a play every day... to a play every few days... to a log in once or twice a week. I know what my choices have cost them in terms of $... it has gained EA(yuk) and CCP a few hundred each.

I know, I'm just one customer and I don't speak for anyone else nor can I say for sure that others have done the same as I have. I will say though that in both of those other games I have meet up with other EX or lowered time STO players, enough that I can say there choice to let PvP whither and die has cost them at least some Gross... is it enough to be a loss considering the $ it would take to update PvP. I couldn't tell you that... but i suspect that answer is yes, it has cost them profits.

Considering they have been hit with layoffs, and criticisms from there ownership... I think they should explore the possibility that their past development plan had a few issues. The most glaring has been the complete /ignore of the PvP aspects of the game. Doing nothing but following metrics in a MMO is a terrible way to plan development of one. People like myself PvE a ton sure... cause there isn't much choice. I'm sure there metrics tell them I'm a PvE lover with a side of RP, cause I have purchased 1000s of disco balls. lol I mean if they want to make this game a RP Shangri-la they should give the PvP crowd something to do other then kill time waiting for that PvP update. haha
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I made no assumption. I asked you a question(about whether you knew what a word meant), and left your answer open either way.
    Of course I know what nostalgia means. But it was a joke it was not meant to invoke nostalgia it was merely for a laugh,

Unless you are a dev posting on a regular account, you can't speak for their intent. That said, I think it was a combination of the 2 things; both a joke and a look back to see how far the game has come in 5 years.
    it is however foolish to know it was a joke and still try to download it.

The problem seems to be that you are not willing to accept that other people think differently than you. As you said, you did not download the server, and neither did I for that matter. It seems neither of us thought it was worth the time. But just because other people thought differently does not make them wrong or foolish.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015