Dear Devs, can we haz oldschool shard?

Comments

• Options
    riyottsariyottsa Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    STO Rebirth : Does that come with Stoked? If only ;)
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    riyottsa wrote: »
    The denial in this thread is astounding.

The Immaturity of this forum-goer is astounding :rolleyes:
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    I think he was trolling. It's a well known fact that noone likes the current STO.

Proof:
    http://hilbertguide.com/screenshots/2015-04-01-LeaderboardMatchesPerWeek.png
    Take a look at the submissions since DR - game = dead, noone likes it anymore.
    WTF is that graph ? Do you have access to the PWE/Cryptic internal numbers ? Because they are never released to the public. The only graph we have access is the Steamchart, and it's rather limited. Trends are more or less accurate, but that's all.

Look, DR was terrible IMO. But then, between DR and STO 1.3, there are years of patching. And people enjoyed most of it.

I don't think STO is doomed. Seriously, Champions is still running, and the playerbase is probably much smaller.
    Well, you've all heard it right here. STO is dead. Any idea how much longer you'll have your job, Taco?
    That was rude and uncalled for. Even if you think the game is so bad, Taco is not responsible for much, besides the environment and stuff like that.
    Also, he is really nice and all.

It was bad, and you should feel bad.

Seriously, I dislike what they did with DR. I hate the grind, I hate the spec, the upgrind, re-releasing old ship for MOAR money (which is pure greed)... But even then, I'm not stupid enough to insult random devs and ask for a 1.3 server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Right back at you.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015

*sings*

Thanks for showing me
    How PVP can turn someone nutty
    You must be out of your brain
    Flat out insane
    To think it is the end of the game
    Maybe should you back away
    Until you are ok
    And then return to STO
    Or maybe not
    Just don't let your hate rot
    Let the love in your heart grow
  • Options
    riyottsariyottsa Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh, no. It's not NEARLY that easy to put these things together.

This was actually a ton of work to get this old build functioning on our servers. And even then, we had to disable chat and a bunch of other stuff.

There's no way we'd dedicate server space full time to an old build, let alone support it in anyway.

It was a fun gag for a day or two, but that's about all we could reasonably do.

Sorry. . . :/

Actually, it's "Engineering."

Good one and hope this puts it to rest...Thought it was a troll post. So many other stuff to dedicate important resources or time...Holdeck, Tribble and now redshirt more than enough IMO
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy
    The layoffs hit Neverwinter heavily, and there has been no word how it affected STO. So, your "claim" is incorrect.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Special PSA from Special Guest Bruce Wayne. To all the disenfranchised barnacles stuck to STO that no one cares about and no body would miss if you left. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-uwYdfZSg
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This was actually a ton of work to get this old build functioning on our servers. And even then, we had to disable chat and a bunch of other stuff.

There's no way we'd dedicate server space full time to an old build, let alone support it in anyway.

Would it be possible to have some things make a return then? Some of the old weapon models, the original Gorn options, the vaporizing Tribble Piles mission KDF side, and some of the other non-server breaking elements. Vaporizing Tribble piles would make for an excellent short KDF daily mission in my opinion. The retro Gorn skin could be added as a reward for completing so many of the Gorn Minefield PvE mission or for some Gorn mission specific reward.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015

But a day is not long enough for people to enjoy it. Lots of players let it install over night and only got a few minutes of enjoyment or wasn't able to play due to maintenance.

I suggest after Season 10 goes live, release the oldschool shard onto Redshirt for about a week or at least from whatever day of the week Season 10 is released on to Monday before it is shutdown or whatever happens to Redshirt when it is not in use.
  • Options
    bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    From myself personally I think you can't speak for everyone as I currently enjoy the game so. . . .

And that graph proves what lol to me it looks like summit you just knocked up on excel lol

Its a graph created by Mancom... showing submissions to the PvP leader board he created with ZERO support from the developer. (the type of thing most developers fall all over themselves to support... cause players doing your work for you is free labour and all.) The drop before the DR drop was the release of fleet spire consoles which also killed PvP for a little while. (it picked back up when players created the Public Service channels and started making it easier for EVERYONE to be on par).

Does it show participation in PvE. No it doesn't. Does it show participation in Trek barbie dream house game play. No doesn't do that either. Still if you consider PvE/RP/PvP to be the 3 game styles in STO... we have pretty clear proof that at least one of the 3 is dead.

BTW. http://hilbertguide.com/leaderboard/
    You can hate on PvPers if you like... you can't deny that most of the PvP crowd love or have loved this game. Hilbert (Mancom) created some great 3rd party PvP tools.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015

First of all, thank you very much for your answer! On a second thought, your post makes me really wonder.

If it really was "a ton of work to get this old build functioning", then why did you take it off after only 1 and a half day? Noone was really able to credit that hard work. I played for 45 minutes before it got shut down again and a lot of others were still patching and didn't have a chance at all.

If it was that much work, why didn't you at least let it last for 1 or 2 weeks so everyone has a chance to play and credit your hard work?

Anyways, thx for clarifications. At least I now know that PvP is never ever going to recover. It's dead for good and I finally can move on to another game :)
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    and the dev internal shard, Mirror Universe

I want access to this one.

I would sign whatever NDA was necessary if they would let me in :)

Anyways, thx for clarifications. At least I now know that PvP is never ever going to recover. It's dead for good and I finally can move on to another game :)

PvP is the most pointless thing in any game. It is only good as a "my e-peen is bigger than your e-peen" contest, IMO.

Though, I don't see where you got "PvP is dead forever" from Taco's post you quoted.
  • Options
    riyotthelperriyotthelper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The layoffs hit Neverwinter heavily, and there has been no word how it affected STO. So, your "claim" is incorrect.

Yeah, losing the head community manager, a level designer and half a dozen other people doesn't affect STO at all.

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/17/cryptic-layoffs-alone-totaled-18-people/

owned
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    PvP is the most pointless thing in any game. It is only good as a "my e-peen is bigger than your e-peen" contest, IMO.

Though, I don't see where you got "PvP is dead forever" from Taco's post you quoted.

That is an interesting take on PvP. By that logic STFs are nothing more then my Deeps are bigger then your deeps competitions... and My barbie is hotter then your barbie down at Qwarks.

If you don't play a mmo for the multiplayer aspects of the game, why play one at all.

The PvP is dead forever point. (IMO it has been dead forever for a good while) I think they are saying if Crytpic isn't willing to put as much work into a PvP server as they where willing to put into a Fools day joke... its dead. As I see it if they where going to fix PvP they would do it on the standard server... of course that would require 10x the work taco was talking about. So its easy to infer that Cryptic has no plans to ever do the work required to make it a viable part of the game ever again.
  • Options
    riyotthelperriyotthelper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    I don't think STO is doomed. Seriously, Champions is still running, and the playerbase is probably much smaller.

This is the current fate of STO. Sorry to break it to you.
    erei1 wrote: »
    That was rude and uncalled for. Even if you think the game is so bad, Taco is not responsible for much, besides the environment and stuff like that.
    Also, he is really nice and all.

It was bad, and you should feel bad.

Seriously, I dislike what they did with DR. I hate the grind, I hate the spec, the upgrind, re-releasing old ship for MOAR money (which is pure greed)... But even then, I'm not stupid enough to insult random devs and ask for a 1.3 server.

Your assumptions are wrong, there's a reason assumption starts with a curse word. I was merly curious as to how long until Cryptic starts laying off more people due to their inability to understand why their leading game isn't making as much money as it used to.

My personal opinion of TacoFangs being a whiny man-child had nothing to do with my inquiry.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    If you don't play a mmo for the multiplayer aspects of the game, why play one at all.

If you consider PvP to be the only multi-player aspect of a game, then you are a part of the problem. The STFs and fleet actions are multi-player team missions at their core, and this attitude you present is why tanks and support roles are on the decline.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    E-peen has never been part of STO PvP. E-peen is a PvE thing you find in the dps channels. PvP has only been about a friendly competition. There hasn't been hate or rude talk. Believe it or not: The STO PvP Community was the kindest, most friendly and helpful community I have ever seen in 2 decades of online multiplayer gaming. After matches we often met on teamspeak with our opponents and had a friendly talk about what was good, what could have been done better and so on. We always helped each other to improve and very often made mixed teams.

New players have always been welcome. Noone was rejected. You wanted help? No prob there was a whole community willing to teach you how this game works. Noone said: you're a noob, get the **** out and uninstall.
    PvP right now is at a point where it cannot be rescued anymore. Delta rising brought so many broken stuff and p2w items that it became literally unplayable. Fixing all the issues would require more than several dedicated PvP seasons which is not going to happen since the last PvP update has been done in Season 1.2. Yes correct, Season 1! And more broken, unbalanced and untested stuff is beeing added every week now.

The only hope for PvP to recover is a dedicated server that runs some old build when it was still playable. Now, Taco made it very clear that this is never going to happen = PvP is dead forever.

I hope I was able to make some things clear for you guys out there that never were that much into PvP. Have a nice time in STO - cya

Edit:
    Also, when you see a PvPer insulting Devs and behave unfriendly: That's what you get after several years of beeing ignored, laughed at, made false promises, beeing insulted by devs and never getting a clear answer.

First people had just been disappointed, then they had been just sad. Now anger and hate for the devs is all that is left from this great community.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like PVP.

Not launch PVP
    Not OPVP
    Not Cap and Hold PVP
    All forms of PVP I like.

You may ask why don't I PVP then.

Not because of spec points, t6 ships, upgrades, "OP" powers, or anything like that.

Players. Players killed pvp for me. As we have seen in this very thread is a good deal of pvpers have a way about them that grates on the spirit. I know I could "toughen up" and I do but "tough" me pretty much fights fire with fire and that is not good.

I could keep rambling but I should keep it short.

In another MMO that I play there is open world forced pvp where money and items are on the line. And I never see the level of hate, anger, and bile tossed toward another player ingame or on the forums as I see in STO
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you consider PvP to be the only multi-player aspect of a game, then you are a part of the problem. The STFs and fleet actions are multi-player team missions at their core, and this attitude you present is why tanks and support roles are on the decline.

I don't think you understand what I said. I said your saying... "PvP is nothing but a measurement contest" is no different then me saying STFs are a measurement contest.

PvP is a multi-player TEAM mission at its core. The one place in the game where support roles are in fact needed btw. Because NPCs are to predictable and don't require support to defeat. (because Cryptic is a terrible MMO developer, hes most developers design there raid content to require a proper team build.... which is in fact fun. Cryptic builds the game to sell shiny stuffs, Cryptics PvE doesn't require support that isn't my opinion its Cryptics design goal)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That's what makes it a hilarious April Fool's prank. You need a half truth to make it believable. Then sit back and enjoy watching the PvP trolls get trolled.

And now whenever a PvPer gets obnoxious we can simply smile and say, "Hey remember when you fell for STO Rebirth?"

PvP trolls? Srsly? Trolling is the most "unPvP'ish" thing I can imagine...

And btw, congrats on beeing a bad person. You also love to make fun of dead ill humans and war victems? I wouldn't be suprised. YOU sir are the troll.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The tears of those who thought Rebirth was a serious thing are the best early Christmas present of all.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yesterday someone was complaining on reddit that the devs wasted a bunch of time to put this together, and I told them that it probably didn't take much time to load an old build on a test server. I guess I was wrong.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015

called it.

I even said as much when the OP told me not to say anything about resources being wasted on page 2.

The ignorance from some is truly incredible :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    First of all, thank you very much for your answer! On a second thought, your post makes me really wonder.

If it really was "a ton of work to get this old build functioning", then why did you take it off after only 1 and a half day? Noone was really able to credit that hard work. I played for 45 minutes before it got shut down again and a lot of others were still patching and didn't have a chance at all.

If it was that much work, why didn't you at least let it last for 1 or 2 weeks so everyone has a chance to play and credit your hard work?

"then why did you take it off after only 1 and a half day?"

likely the strain on the server and 90% of the time each update will bring new code allowing new things but breaking others due to incompatibility its highly likely that such a thing occurred and was causing massive problems on their end.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is the current fate of STO. Sorry to break it to you.

The Reverend Harold Camping, ladies and gentlemen, back from the dead!
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you honestly believed it was true then the fault is your own. I don't have any sympathy for you

^ this.

Seriously I knew it was a joke from the get go...it just didnt make sense so it was an easy thing to see through, However I congratulate cryptic as they seem to have fooled a lot of people which is the whole point of the day.

I dont say this often but; Good job cryptic! :D
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Rebirth joke(?) was...interesting. Apparently it took a lot of work, which could have arguably been better used for other things, but oh well. I do agree that removing something the very next day that people spent hours patching is not a very cool move. Leaving it for the whole weekend would have been much more reasonable.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg