Options

Dear Devs, can we haz oldschool shard?

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »
    The current test shards are not directly generating revenue either, yet they exist. Replacing one of the shards with an old school PvP server could unlock back already lost revenue streams. At least in theory.

D

I hesitate to guess here, but it's been noted that two of the motivators @Cryptic are spenders and player numbers (with the two meeting being the preferred outcome) .

And while I'm not sure how something like a separate Shard or server for PVP could be monetized (without going down the same power creep model that we're on now), what other lures could be presented on such a server besides the classic STF's ?

Another thing to ask is, how many players do you see coming to PVP on such a server ?
    I'm not asking this to be mean, I just remember a lot of disappointed KDF players leaving early on and later the same was true of some of the PVP circles .

... see, with or without the classic STF'S included, you will still need numbers on your PVP island ...
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Did not know this leaderboard thing was some 3rd app. That pretty much makes its data worthless. What about players who did private matches, or did not even know about the app, or who thought it was malware did not get it? Pretty much your data that says "pvp is dead" comes a smaller sub-group within already small sub-group.

Oh dear, those numbers are a thousand times more trustworthy than anything cryptic ever released. If you still don't believe, why don't you queue up for a match to see if PvP is really dead or not. Good luck waiting for ~8 hours to have a match pop...
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Oh dear, those numbers are a thousand times more trustworthy than anything cryptic ever released. If you still don't believe, why don't you queue up for a match to see if PvP is really dead or not. Good luck waiting for ~8 hours to have a match pop...

Nah. I would rather have a private match between friends.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Perhaps, but that doesn't mean it's playable or maintainable.

Tacofangs posted in another thread on the topic that what they did on Redshirt was basically a snapshot of the build at a particular point in time.

My guess is that they do not have the ability to actually fork the code and revert it back that far, which means the build is likely unmaintainable. If that's the case, they'd have to reverse engineer it just to turn it into something they could do bug fixes on.

I'm guessing there's also a limitation on what builds they could actually "bring back". Major releases probably have snapshots. They probably maintain snapshots for recent maintenance releases, but probably not older than the last couple of major releases.

Your guess is as good as mine.

What Cryptic could take from this discussion is that some people in the community still think about solutions for the whole the PvP situation. A manifestation of our desire for change. At least this Redshirt "incident" has created a fresh debate, it's not same old PvP rules here or bootcamp there discussion. And who knows, maybe some dev looks up this or similar threads and finds something that's at least worth thinking about, or maybe jumpstart another line of thought we haven't considered yet.
    dgdolph wrote: »
    I don't think he values facts or common sense too much. Let him have his private match, so that afterwards he can say PvP is alive and well lol.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »

A little off topic question just out of curiosity:

Is your fleet still activ? I can imagine that IC and HOBO are the only PvP fleets left in the game at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised if even they were dead since pretty much everyone I used to play with quit (except for Trinity who will still be lurking here when the servers shut down, lol).
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Keep in mind that both fleets were home to both PvE and PvP, however while PvE is still happening, their PvP wings became mostly inactive now. Inner Circle once had up to 25 PvPers in their rank, nowadays you may spot one or two IC or HOBO people at best in Kerrat or in the queues. They don't have the numbers to field premades any longer.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!