test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Discussion Thread (for Jan 8th, 2015)

Comments

• Options
    darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow, 5 hours to fix nothing significant. Yep sounds about right.
  • Options
    dianqverdianqver Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    strange i dont remember mainenance "usually" extending, not in these proporsions, not until DR came upon us.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dianqver wrote: »
    strange i dont remember mainenance "usually" extending, not in these proporsions, not until DR came upon us.

Started after LOR did yah?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    archershranarchershran Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes but car troubles are a bit more serious (financially and practically) than video game downtime.

I was thinking the same thing....a more apt analogy would be awaiting the cable guy to show up on time....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2015
    Contemplating reply as blood flows from my slit wrists......:eek:

Me: "Sorry. I couldn't resist."
    Friend: "What do you mean you couldn't resist? You didn't even try."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I was thinking the same thing....a more apt analogy would be awaiting the cable guy to show up on time....

Or the clowns you've hired to leave. :P
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So they messed up another maintenance? Ah well. That will be the second time this week I decide its better not to log in.

/goes on to play something else
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • Options
    archershranarchershran Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Started after LOR did yah?

LMAO...I remember extended down times following season 4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Q: Why is maintenance extended?

A: A couple dozen nerds want to troll a couple thousand nerds.

Q: Why is this thread still open?

A: Trolling is only fun when you can see the trolled respond.

</Resume nerdrage>
    Petition to add fly from bridge feature. Please share!!
    Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
    Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
  • Options
    truchuckfutruchuckfu Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They never seem to be able to manage their maintenance windows correctly. But, they sure always have the Zen shop accessible to take your money. Funny how that ALWAYS works. Get your **** together guys.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Should have applied one of Scotty's rules, here. Double the estimated time of repairs, do it in half the time - Bam! You're a miracle worker.
  • Options
    he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'm not sure it makes a big difference as the same principle applies. If your cable technician needed to come to your home several times in the last month and was repeatedly late, I'm sure you wouldn't find that acceptable. Then, he arrives two and a half hours late and only tells you it was because the warp core in his vehicle was giving him trouble, that would seem reasonable? Not in my world.

When my cable provider is late, they give you a discount on services. If it happens repeatedly, they give a larger discount. They certainly apologize.

Check out the book "Consumer Terrorism" some time. It makes good points about the fact that many companies bank on consumer apathy and make very little attempt to provide good service. If everyone demanded better service and stood up for themselves, it would be more cost effective for companies to provide good service in the first place.
    f86cqFw.png
  • Options
    intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Now that there is funnier than a one legged pigme in a butt kicking contest!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I also like how they are so flippant about it. Like, it's no big deal. Again, funny how the Cstore that takes your money is ALWAYS up, NEVER down... the game? Not so much.
  • Options
    faethorefaethore Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Let me start out with saying "Thank You" to the Devs.Yall have made a game that brought me so much enjoyment that I went monthly pay! that says a LOT coming from me.second thank yall for letting me/us know that the reg maint has been extended,that keeps me from wondering "is everything ok".You Devs really do have a job,with all the crashes,maint,etc that goes on I really have a respect for yall. Looking forward to all the new stuff coming for the anniversary update :) just saying thanks for the game
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    truchuckfu wrote: »
    They never seem to be able to manage their maintenance windows correctly. But, they sure always have the Zen shop accessible to take your money. Funny how that ALWAYS works. Get your **** together guys.

Furthermore, have you noticed that bugs that benefit players get fixed quickly but those that are in the players' disadvantage (like the City of Bugs at Defera) never get fixed?
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I also like how they are so flippant about it. Like, it's no big deal. Again, funny how the Cstore that takes your money is ALWAYS up, NEVER down... the game? Not so much.

It's in the profit margin....he he!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    true. at least for once they did not have to be forced to admit the obvious after the fact.
  • Options
    locke112164locke112164 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    folks the maintenance is an evil we all don't like but we need. this is to insure when the server goes south they can restore the game to the point it died. so like it or not we are at their mercy.
  • Options
    natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aaand it has just been extended again...
  • Options
    opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    faethore wrote: »
    Let me start out with saying "Thank You" to the Devs.Yall have made a game that brought me so much enjoyment that I went monthly pay! that says a LOT coming from me.second thank yall for letting me/us know that the reg maint has been extended,that keeps me from wondering "is everything ok".You Devs really do have a job,with all the crashes,maint,etc that goes on I really have a respect for yall. Looking forward to all the new stuff coming for the anniversary update :) just saying thanks for the game

Ladies and Gentlemen, the last living STO fanboy.
    Petition to add fly from bridge feature. Please share!!
    Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
    Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/553268177363562496

12:30 PST now folks. Now they include "drydock" in it as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    crowley875 wrote: »

I'm going to be so much more productive today!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    maintenance is charlied ?
  • Options
    locke112164locke112164 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wait what ? they added another 30 min to it now?
    unbelievable !!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    No one is saying they aren't needed. However, they are needed to be correct and well planned with an appropriate window for it in advance. No extensions, no failures. When I managed cyber centers, an extension meant an instant reversion and the entire maintenance had to be rescheduled, approved, etc. You either complete in the alloted window and deliver services on time or you back out the changes and replace WHILE DELIVERING SERVICES. Simply formula.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    maintenance has finaly found ESD sick bay and decided to fix that first !
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No one is saying they aren't needed. However, they are needed to be correct and well planned with an appropriate window for it in advance. No extensions, no failures. When I managed cyber centers, an extension meant an instant reversion and the entire maintenance had to be rescheduled, approved, etc. You either complete in the alloted window and deliver services on time or you back out the changes and replace WHILE DELIVERING SERVICES. Simply formula.

Personally I'd prefer that they took extra time over these maintenance downtimes. There's a lot that needs to be done and rushing it is counter-productive, a false economy.

That's why this week's patch notes contain fixes for issues from the beginning of the winter event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Furthermore, have you noticed that bugs that benefit players get fixed quickly but those that are in the players' disadvantage (like the City of Bugs at Defera) never get fixed?
    Hello!! And they think we don't notice such things.

You would think that being so money hungry would make them realize that the unfixed bugs and ridiculous grinding and upgrade costs are driving the money away from the game!!
This discussion has been closed.