test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Discussion Thread (for Jan 8th, 2015)

Comments

• Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Erm, European players are going to lag here. You can bank on that. The servers are located on the East side of the U.S. and there is one big cable to connect us together. Europeans are gonna lag, get over it. The best latency you can probably look for is likely 130-150ms which roughly translates to 1.3 to 1.5 seconds lag. In game time, that is pretty serious, a lot can happen in a second and a half. The best pings are around 30 or so, and while 300 is REALLY bad so is 0. At 300, I consider that to be "unplayable" status.
  • Options
    archershranarchershran Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There are no words for how bad this is.... :eek:

Maybe one of the hardworking devs pulled an all nighter and faceplanted on his keyboard, hitting alt-f4 in the process and no one has taken time to lift his head up.....:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wilai29#4617 wilai29 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bemlega wrote: »
    wtf? This thread is still open? CDTs asleep?
    I believe C.O. NW and STO all share the same server maintance schedules. That could be an indication that they all share the same server:eek:

I'll say that all chat channels from STO, CO, and Neverwinter are combined. since you can accidently subscribe to NW and CO chat channels in STO.
    so you decide for yourself if the login servers are shared also.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were told that you would have a 45 minute timeframe in which you could play, and the game was then down (on an unscheduled basis) during that 45 minutes, and that same commitment (in my case, work, but it boils down to the same thing - you have to be away from the computer) took up the remainder of the day?

I would find other things that I could do that could pass the time...like post on the forums, answering asinine posts to amuse myself and my fellow fleet mates who are currently loling in vice chat over my replies to you and others who do nothing but complain. It is a game and part of that game is realizing that it has downtime and such. You have a job, you are obviously an adult, quit being so anal retentive about one day of game play and act your age. Honestly, I haven't heard complaining like that since my daughters were adolescent. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    xoelloe wrote: »
    Just what exactly do you want to know about? You cannot log in for another 2,5 hours. That's about all the information you need now. You have a timeframe. Read a book. watch a movie. Go eat. Meet your girlfriend. A quickie always soothes the boggled neurons. Compensation? I'll send you a thousand dilithium. That's a small compensation, it's worth it for me though, if you stop.

good advice you are obviously not folowing yourself ;)

(dev in disguise ?)
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "It's working! The players are being forced back to their own... Universe!"
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    to amuse myself and my fellow fleet mates who are currently loling in vice chat over my replie

I really don't want to get caught in this cat fight but I'm going to call BS on that one. No human being alive today would ever entertain what is being said right now on a forum as a topic of conversation.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    cybergnomecybergnome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    why does this surprise people the maintaince usually takes that long they just decided to let people know this time so when time is up they are not bombarded with e-mails. but if they really just thought it would take longer then prepare for maintaince to last 2-4 hours longer than they have posted
  • Options
    intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Dear Community Manager
    Having been in the forums before trying to find out why and how long the servers are going to be down for what ever reason. I have seen that other members find out what happening on twitter, facebook, another crytic game forum, or from another member who found the obscure post made by our Community Manager.

I know this is completely crazy and unheard of but when i would like to find out why and how long the servers are going to be down for i look in the Star Trek Online General Discussion
    forum under the latest title that describes the server issue i need the information on.

I know that's crazy it's like looking for a hammer in the tool department of a hardware store.
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "It's working! The players are being forced back to their own... Universe!"

SAO...Star Trek Edition? :D
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Extended maintenance... annoying, but it is bound to happen sometimes. It's fairly clear there are problems, and we can at least hope they're being addressed.

The cutesy stuff about "warp cores" and "turbulence", however, started to grate on my nerves quite a while ago. I am a bit disappointed at not being able to log in, and the chirpy cheerful facetiousness of these announcements doesn't do anything to put a smile on my face.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I really don't want to get caught in this cat fight but I'm going to call BS on that one. No human being alive today would ever entertain what is being said right now on a forum as a topic of conversation.

touche'
    Can we agree to call it weak comedic material based on the premise that forum post x (life + logic)= comedy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kragg13kragg13 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Compensation for excessive downtime/emergency downtime? Not a bad idea in my book,considering the seemingly fractured relationship between the playing community and the game developers. Doesn't have to be some huge amount but maybe 1000 dil and some minor EC reward just to try and make up for the lost time.

Would cost PW/Cryptic absolutely nothing and might go a long way towards keeping players in the game. The absolute lack of communication from the devs only serves to inflame the player base further, thereby losing more of said base and increasing the chances of the game completely collapsing.

I,for one, enjoy the game immensely and will continue to play, knowing full well that some changes made to the game might not be to my liking but I'll just adapt and keep on flying.

I am almost always happy to see new content added to the game,but please devs, fix the major issues with actual gameplay mechanics before adding new stuff and breaking other things in the process.

Live long and prosper!
  • Options
    captainmoogcaptainmoog Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That is a really good point there
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,519 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nazelnag wrote: »
    well, it's about time you Yankees switch to metrics, inches all the time sound so few :D

Who says I'm a Yankee?

;)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    touche'
    Can we agree to call it weak comedic material based on the premise that forum post x (life + logic)= comedy?

Sure! (I would have gone with something like "the voices in my head are lol'ing at you" but that's just my own taste in bits.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jjdez wrote: »
    Watching voyager willingly? Ewwww

Hey, he's getting off light. I'm watching reruns of two episodes of Enterprise series 1 :)
  • Options
    cybergnomecybergnome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    why does this surprise people the maintaince usually takes that long they just decided to let people know this time so when time is up they are not bombarded with e-mails. but if they really just thought it would take longer then prepare for maintaince to last 2-4 hours longer than they have posted
  • Options
    intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kragg13 wrote: »
    I,for one, enjoy the game immensely and will continue to play, knowing full well that some changes made to the game might not be to my liking but I'll just adapt and keep on flying.

I am almost always happy to see new content added to the game,but please devs, fix the major issues with actual gameplay mechanics before adding new stuff and breaking other things in the process.

Ditto, same gose here.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Hey, he's getting off light. I'm watching reruns of two episodes of Enterprise series 1 :)

ENTERPRISE is the best STAR TREK series ever and the viewers LOVE IT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    king5to5king5to5 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    too more hours, damn... where is my dil to skip this..
  • Options
    edited January 2015

...It is! (at least as far as season 1's go.)
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kragg13 wrote: »
    ...Would cost PW/Cryptic absolutely nothing and might go a long way towards keeping players in the game. The absolute lack of communication from the devs only serves to inflame the player base further, thereby losing more of said base and increasing the chances of the game completely collapsing. ...

And here it is! Downtime = DOOM!
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2015
    I, personally, am blaming all those Winter Epohs, they invaded from the North chanting, "Winter is coming!"

Maybe the link below explains why they're on the warpath:

http://www.sfwjokes.com/sfw-joke/snow-puns-01-joke.html

And I'll add one non-winter one of my own:

Q: What Star Trek group do editors and proofreaders belong to?
    A: The Corrective.
  • Options
    he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Folks, please don't get into the "get a life" argument. Trust me, many of us have outside lives that we really enjoy (family, skydiving, reading, hiking, etc). On the other hand, I happily spend a fair amount of money on this game and just expect better service when there's a problem.

The mechanic analogy again... If my car is supposed to be ready following repairs and it's not, I'm not necessarily losing money. I'd still expect the mechanic to let me know what the delay is, however, not just give me a silly comment about my vehicle's warp core.

Also, as consumers, it goes a LONG way to simply get an apology for the delay and a very minor token of appreciation. "Say, here's a coupon for a free cup of coffee and thanks for being patient". This is ESPECIALLY important when that same mechanic (the Devs) seem to have a delay of several hours EVERY time I try to pick up my car following maintenance.

So, before criticizing those customers who ask for better service, please understand that a few practices that we'd expect from any other enterprise would go a long way to keeping most people happy and loyal.

Cheers!
    f86cqFw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    And here it is! Downtime = DOOM!

Worse than that, the use of twitter over forums = DOOM! You know the classic gripe "get off me lawn you darned kids!" This is our generation's equivalent.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,519 Arc User
    edited January 2015

It was actually my second fave of all the series'... Aside from the Original Series which started it all, there was no Wesley Crusher, no Harry Kim, and no Odo. Therefore, much more fun for me to watch... That's an opinion, though...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Maybe the link below explains why they're on the warpath:

http://www.sfwjokes.com/sfw-joke/snow-puns-01-joke.html

And I'll add one non-winter one of my own:

Q: What Star Trek group do editors and proofreaders belong to?
    A: The Corrective.

Contemplating reply as blood flows from my slit wrists......:eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    he11blade wrote: »
    The mechanic analogy again... If my car is supposed to be ready following repairs and it's not, I'm not necessarily losing money. I'd still expect the mechanic to let me know what the delay is, however, not just give me a silly comment about my vehicle's warp core.

Yes but car troubles are a bit more serious (financially and practically) than video game downtime.
This discussion has been closed.