test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Point Update

Comments

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    I think it's human nature to rage at the loss of hope.

This, and everything you wrote above... +1.
    Almost have tears in my eyes now. Hell yes, I am emotional right now.
    This game was a huge part of my life for the past years, as pathetic as it may sound to some... I can't help but feeling beaten by the devs time and time again. It's like they want me out of this game at all cost. And that does hurt.

And I am projecting all of it on Mr. Rivera. For me, he is the face of evil right now. Of course that's not fair at all. It's just how I am feeling. Sigh....
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • mavfinmavfin Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    By the way, if any of you can stop crying long enough to see through your tears:

Doff assignments, which have been giving less than listed xp, are now giving more than listed xp.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The doff exp hurt me the most. I just stared at my exp bar and sighed watching it barely move after claiming all my doff missions.

blah
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So... pitchforks and torches time?

If you weren't paying attention, the time for that has started when DR hit. And most things the devs have done since DR's release only warrants more of it.
    mavfin wrote: »
    By the way, if any of you can stop crying long enough to see through your tears:

Doff assignments, which have been giving less than listed xp, are now giving more than listed xp.

Have you LOOKED at how much XPs are required for every level, every Post 60 specialization point?

You do realize that the devs nerfed the DOFFing XPs not long after DR hit, and only now are bringing it back to where it originally was. As someone else mentioned, yes, they upped the instance completion XP reward, but everything else is still pretty much the same. Then you LOOK at the XPs required to level, and go, "WTF mate?"
    XzRTofz.gif
  • captcokecancaptcokecan Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you weren't paying attention, the time for that has started when DR hit. And most things the devs have done since DR's release only warrants more of it.

I've been stocking up though, I'm a hoarder.
    Hey I just vaped you, and this is crazy;
    But here's my frequency, so hail me maybe?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    LOL, the STO forums where they can dish it out, but can't take it.

I love the forums, they love to be jerks, but when a DEV is a jerk back it's like Woah to far dude lol
    GwaoHAD.png
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic is trying to bend a spoon here.

http://thematrix101.com/matrix/faq.php
    Q: What does "There is no spoon" mean?
    A: The spoon exists only in the Matrix, which really means it doesn't exist. It's a lesson for Neo, to help him realize that manipulating the Matrix isn't about focusing on an object and trying to change it. The object doesn't exist, so he can't change it, he has to change himself. Metaphorically, it's all in his head.
  • fuglassfuglass Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I apologize to you Geko for the second hand backhand. I didn't see your response that you weren't intentionally being 'snarky'.

So I apologize for my comment made in response to Iconians post.

I don't apologize for deeply criticizing the decisions you've made and the disgust I feel at the direction you've taken this game however.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not trying to start a fight with you Iconians or any player...I think it would be benefit us all to some degree if we presented a united front. I also realize that's far easier said than done.

I guess I'm just tired, and throwing those last few punches a person throws before admitting defeat. I used to live in the STF ques., I've spent far more hours playing this game than is healthy, I've spent money I probably shouldn't have to make the game easier or more enjoyable and now I'm (and I imagine I'm not the only one) having to come to terms with the fact this game is no longer something I can participate in.

I see it more as a self-fulfilling prophecy than a loss of hope. I see it speeding up a loss of hope by burning yourself out and getting all your emotional energy spent at once before any sort of concessions can be made.

If there is any hope for positive, meaningful change and concessions, it is through removing your emotion and personal investment out of the equation.

But I think you already know that. So all I am seeing, is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You want to be hopeless, so you look for ways (either consciously or subconsciously) to make sure you remain hopeless.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • m3rc1l3ssonem3rc1l3ssone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cure found Normal seems to be slightly higher with final reward at 1204 but that is maybe a 50% increase from before compared to the 3x increase the exp req went up.

If we do any more runs tonight, I will make a list of all the reward exp, as it is though :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All the nerfs are belong to us.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mavfin wrote: »

Not 300% more. It's somewhere around 140%

And since these are small numbers compared to the 150,000 per level. It pretty much kills doffing for experience.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    This, and everything you wrote above... +1.
    Almost have tears in my eyes now. Hell yes, I am emotional right now.
    This game was a huge part of my life for the past years, as pathetic as it may sound to some... I can't help but feeling beaten by the devs time and time again. It's like they want me out of this game at all cost. And that does hurt.

And I am projecting all of it on Mr. Rivera. For me, he is the face of evil right now. Of course that's not fair at all. It's just how I am feeling. Sigh....

Yeah, teardrops on my guitar, and all that. :)

Is Mr. Rivera the face of evil for me? Sometimes, when I'm angry, yes. Overall, though, I'm more perplexed, really, why they constantly feel this very negative, punitive drive towards nerfing everything. I get it when it involves taking away mission rewards; but I can't, for the life of me, fathom why they're so obsessed with slowing ppl down. They think I'm gonna stop playing when I filled my Specialization tree or something?!

Sometimes I wish I could look inside the head of a marketing person. On second thought, I better not.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not 300% more. It's somewhere around 140%

And since these are small numbers compared to the 150,000 per level. It pretty much kills doffing for experience.

Pretty much their metrics probably show them that since DR they have had their biggest decline in numbers of people grinding. So first thing the only reason for this increase is most likely to try to get people to try to go to lvl 60. Although they have forced grinds on us for so long that most of us have all dialed back into very little time into this game because of it being the biggest grind to ever hit the game but they say oh we never intended it to be this way(I call BS).

I was a hard core grinding person for a long time but with the doffing nerfs, the doffing system itself put in slow motion to where I don't have time to sit around waiting on so many characters w ith 20 assignments to wait for them to all complete, and then a grind so long that I would never ever ever get to my alts much less finish my main characters... The line had to be drawn to the point if I login I don't doff, I don't grind xp, I don't play any of these story missions with DR any more had enough of them so I might do crafting xp and maybe 1 mission if I am feeling it so in the end its just made me not want to play this game like I used to because the enjoyment is sucked out of the game with DR.

Edit: As far as that face its not an evil face its the face of a person waiting in the unemployment line.
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I could look inside the head of a marketing person. On second thought, I better not.

I always picture people in Marketing as being like Lionel Hutz.

"If there's one thing America needs, it's more people in Marketing. Can you imagine a world without Marketing?"

*shudder*

I recognize their necessity in any company, just like lawyers... but I still think they're scum more often than not. :P
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I really don't understand the player base. XP was nerfed. Kills award, proportionately, less xp. DOFFing rewards less xp. The only communication on the issue is unpleasant and principally ignores it. Why doesn't this bother people? Is it just that the folks bothered by such things have largely already left? Is it that the forum goers are desperate for any interaction with devs in a game where it seems as if there is little to no interest in interacting with players, testing changes, or attempting to ascertain what is fun about the game?

In my case, emotionally I've left STO in terms of viewing it as a serious game. Since after the first week of DR, I go in, do some bits and pieces, and leave again. I won't spend more money on this game, but I'm not "leaving" either. I'm using up their bandwidth, because I've paid for a lot of stuff in the past, AND it's a way to chat with other ST fans. And so I go in and do a little grind here, play one of the missions from STO's heyday like "what lies beneath" there, do a bit of dancing on ESB or play dabo on Drozana...

In the meantime, this month my "Entertainment Budget" will get spent elsewhere, on non-Perfectworld games.

To worry about stuff like XP, I'd need to get back into being a serious player who felt the need to "level up" to reach endgame content. Which would mean I'd need to feel that it was worthwhile, and that it would provide a steady and stable experience. I'd need to be sure that stuff wouldn't be nerfed next week as yet another "ZOMG this isn't being used the way we personally expected!" knee-jerk reaction grips the devs, making any investment moot. They might, or might not. But I'm not trying to play it that way anymore, so its not really "skin off my nose" anymore. I'll add my experience to the mix so other players can make their own decisions, and maybe, one day, Cryptic will wake up to themselves.

So considering that Cryptic are no longer in my field of vision, and I don't think they're really paying attention anyway, why complain to them?
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Overall, though, I'm more perplexed, really, why they constantly feel this very negative, punitive drive towards nerfing everything. I get it when it involves taking away mission rewards; but I can't, for the life of me, fathom why they're so obsessed with slowing ppl down. They think I'm gonna stop playing when I filled my Specialization tree or something?!

I've been perplexed about this as well. I can't believe it's to sell exp boosts. Those can not possibly be big sellers. No, I think it's that we're supposed to be buying more T6 ships than we have been. Too many people used T5U.

The response is - well - you're not getting any ship traits for those unless you buy T6 ships.

If the winter ship is T6 carrier with a carrier specific trait that doesn't help many people so it's ok.

It's a longshot idea but I really can't see the profit in this. In fact it kills alts (and mains) so in the long run it kills profits.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I see it more as a self-fulfilling prophecy than a loss of hope. I see it speeding up a loss of hope by burning yourself out and getting all your emotional energy spent at once before any sort of concessions can be made.

If there is any hope for positive, meaningful change and concessions, it is through removing your emotion and personal investment out of the equation.

But I think you already know that. So all I am seeing, is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You want to be hopeless, so you look for ways (either consciously or subconsciously) to make sure you remain hopeless.

Thanks Dr. Iconians, I'm no where near self aware enough to determine how I feel myself. ;)
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    a serious game

I have never understood this term. It is like military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, or honest politician. It's contradictory.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have never understood this term. It is like military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, or honest politician. It's contradictory.

None of these are really contradictory...
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Dr. Iconians, I'm no where near self aware enough to determine how I feel myself. ;)

I'll send you my bill next month. I only accept refined dilithium and unconquered portions of the milky way galaxy.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • coulomb2coulomb2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So far I've heard an inductive argument that supports that critter kill XP didn't actually go up while the mission reward did, and accusations that DOff XP didn't increase. The latter I can check on my own, and would prefer to - I can't be sure the people making that accusation are actually looking in the right place for that.

But with ship kills, I'm curious if anyone has the actual numbers - this should be pretty easy to confirm since what I've seen so far implies those numbers didn't go up.

I generally dislike teaming here, so I almost always play solo - which, of course, means my numbers really need to be checked against someone else who is doing a patrol run solo (and on normal).

Basically, a "frigate" class killed awarded approximately 40 skill points before the patch today; usually 30-40 based on how much it had been "chewed on" by NPCs before I got to it.

A "cruiser" class killed awarded approximately 200 skill points (it might have been as high as 240, I don't remember).

I *thought* battleships were somewhere in the 300s, but I'm not clear enough about that to know for sure. But it's not important, frigates and cruisers should be enough (even though it'd be interesting to see what the number for a battleship actually is).

I *do* know that those kill numbers didn't change at all the entire time I was 51+. So either they weren't level-based, or the scaling was so small it tended to get lost in the "bleed" from an NPC ally chewing a bit on the ship before I finished off.

If somebody could pop into a patrol (again, solo, on normal) and pop a few frigates and cruisers, and post how much they get for each kill, that'll tell us if ship kills stayed static, if they increased by the ~2.9 geko posted, or if they increased, but not by that much.

If it is the 2.9 from geko, a frigate should be between about 90 and about 116. And a cruiser about 580 or so. (And a battleship at least 900, if not more)

If it didn't increase at all (or barely any), then that's a bug (and I'm inclined to take geko at his word if he says a bug will be tracked down and fixed) - I did double check the OP and they clearly said critter kill rewards were supposed to go up.

If they did increase, but by the ~2.9 factor, then it could be either (it makes the OP technically true regarding "increased skill point for critter kills", so that raises the possibility it is working as intended - although that does make the OP statement that the rate of leveling remains the same incorrect).
    edited November 2014
    I'll send you my bill next month. I only accept refined dilithium and unconquered portions of the milky way galaxy.

Dammit not my DIL!!!!! You know that's harder to come by than flying pigs these days!

That 300 sec wait suck don't it?? :)

Seriously this is a serious thread and I apologize to all for my part in highjacking it with my discussion with Iconians.
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Looking at the descriptions the skill points needed are really confusing 50 and 54 both show 366k SP needed and they both can't be right. 54-55 shows a need of 750,420?

If you explain the descriptions there CaptainGeko I think those might be off because doing any math on those really doesn't add up. I'd say there is a bug in at least the descriptions.

*Update*

I confirmed this with a Lt3 that said they needed 20k to gain level lt4 but the mission only gave 4k but I got halfway through LT4.

The descriptions are messed up its not our gain that is messed up Captain Geko is right. His math is right but the description is wrong.
    edited November 2014
    Dammit not my DIL!!!!! You know that's harder to come by than flying pigs these days!

Wait until Q comes out with the Targ Party Popper next anniversary event, then you'll see pigs fly.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Not to wax philosophical here, but I think it's actually *hope* that causes pain! Being on the edge of not having given up, still clinging on to that last ray of hope, constantly seeing it dashed again. As Headmaster Stimpson put it so well in Clockwise,

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can stand the despair. It's the hope!"

Dr. Kira. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic has hit rock bottom. There's no hope for these guys anymore.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I know you're prolly saying this half-joking but worth clarifying anyway. In my case, shorthand for:
    • Put real cash into zen
    • Buy ships, dilithium, boffs, doffs, slots, tokens
    • Make a point to spend some time on every toon every day (even if just to set doff assignments)
    • Grind to get top-level reputation equipment for every toon

As an example, if I were to play DR "seriously", I'd have ground out T5 Delta Rep for one toon, get sponsor tokens for the other 8, grind out T5 for all those, and then grind out a series of sets for toons which had ships that could do with Delta equipment.

And then provide info/insight to fleet members etc on the equipment and my personal experience with using it with various toons.

So serious in terms of "investment of time and money to get the best experience out of this game", rather than what's happened: one toon with DR completed (almost, if you don't count being unable to get the final mission to complete and dropping it after getting stuck twice), that one toon at Reputation T3 Delta, that's it. And no plans to take any of the other 8 anywhere near the Delta Quadrant.
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    I know you're prolly saying this half-joking but worth clarifying anyway. In my case, shorthand for:
    • Put real cash into zen
    • Buy ships, dilithium, boffs, doffs, slots, tokens
    • Make a point to spend some time on every toon every day (even if just to set doff assignments)
    • Grind to get top-level reputation equipment for every toon

As an example, if I were to play DR "seriously", I'd have ground out T5 Delta Rep for one toon, get sponsor tokens for the other 8, grind out T5 for all those, and then grind out a series of sets for toons which had ships that could do with Delta equipment.

And then provide info/insight to fleet members etc on the equipment and my personal experience with using it with various toons.

So serious in terms of "investment of time and money to get the best experience out of this game", rather than what's happened: one toon with DR completed (almost, if you don't count being unable to get the final mission to complete and dropping it after getting stuck twice), that one toon at Reputation T3 Delta, that's it. And no plans to take any of the other 8 anywhere near the Delta Quadrant.

Wow, just kill my joke brutally. Now I feel bad.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    coulomb2 wrote: »
    So far I've heard an inductive argument that supports that critter kill XP didn't actually go up while the mission reward did, and accusations that DOff XP didn't increase. The latter I can check on my own, and would prefer to - I can't be sure the people making that accusation are actually looking in the right place for that.

But with ship kills, I'm curious if anyone has the actual numbers - this should be pretty easy to confirm since what I've seen so far implies those numbers didn't go up.

I generally dislike teaming here, so I almost always play solo - which, of course, means my numbers really need to be checked against someone else who is doing a patrol run solo (and on normal).

Ship kills did not go up. There supposedbly a patch that will increase ship kilss in DQ sectors.

Note, that means, Cryptic/Dev whoever is trying to force players to play DR content and additionally buy T6 ships.