Options

Skill Point Update

1313233343537»

Comments

• Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    Well, forum PvP is the only PvP queue that ever runs anymore.

The forums should just be renamed Ker'rat at this point.

There should be a accolade if someone can get either Geko, Smirk, OP, or D'Angelo to respond to this thread since the debate of the game is the new end game.

Especially specialization!
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There should be a accolade if someone can get either Geko, Smirk, OP, or D'Angelo to respond to this thread since the debate of the game is the new end game.

Especially specialization!

I think they see it allright...They just choose to ignore either out of shame or stubbornness to be sensitive to playerbase input. Dont care about DEVs response since they are just employess like some of us. However, management is another thing. Silence is deadly and the more you avoid it...the worst it gets. Better to TALK to your playerbase as D'Stahl used to do. Can't believe Im saying it but former management was actually so much better and in tune of what we have today. If they have pressures from PWE...explain that and we will understand...Silence and ignoring playerbase is not a good business policy for a SOCIAL MMO.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...If you are halfway between levels 52 and 53 now, you will remain halfway between levels 52 and 53 after the update even though the total amount of skill points to achieve level 52 has gone up and the required skill points you’ll need to earn in order to become level 53 has also gone up...

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

WTF???

OK, so you made it so my character can now jump higher, but at the same time, you raised the bar my character has to jump over.

Net result: ZERO.

Are you Cryptic people all this full of BS? Hiding your methods in a wall of wordy text is NOT going to fool 99% of us, the players, who have a bit more brains than an earth worm.

I guess Cryptic thinks we like apples. How do you like THOSE apples? Not so effing funny is it??

Don't try and sandbag us!! :mad:
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thetanine wrote: »
    WTF???

OK, so you made it so my character can now jump higher, but at the same time, you raised the bar my character has to jump over.

Net result: ZERO.

Are you Cryptic people all this full of BS? Hiding your methods in a wall of wordy text is NOT going to fool 99% of us, the players, who have a bit more brains than an earth worm.

I guess Cryptic thinks we like apples. How do you like THOSE apples? Not so effing funny is it??

Don't try and sandbag us!! :mad:

They didn't increase the XP from killing ground or space NPCs so it's a blatant nerf.

Don't get too angry though, you may explode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    *Your Torpedo Spread III does over 9000 forum damage to Jornado!* Critical hit averted by helmet....

See, now if you had been wearing your Tinfoil Hat, it would have deflected at least three-quarters of that 9K back toward their Shields with 50% penetration to their hull.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    See, now if you had been wearing your Tinfoil Hat, it would have deflected at least three-quarters of that 9K back toward their Shields with 50% penetration to their hull.

:cool:

I guess skill point is a dead poiint after 60 and players gave up on it!
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I guess skill point is a dead poiint after 60 and players gave up on it!

The forums are nowhere near as active as they used to be, so it is hard to say. However I can't say I'm surprised if after what is getting on to be a couple of months players are just fed up with Cryptic giving the silent treatment, I've actually seen a few more people quit because of it :/
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The forums are nowhere near as active as they used to be, so it is hard to say. However I can't say I'm surprised if after what is getting on to be a couple of months players are just fed up with Cryptic giving the silent treatment, I've actually seen a few more people quit because of it :/

Yea. I agree.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I gave up on changes to skill point or the failqueues a couple weeks ago. I started a new Talaxian character and now am enjoying the wonderland.

If there are ever any changes, great, but I don't expect any.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014

You mean to say the forums have been NERFED too...:D
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nah, they tried that already with the 500-second post counter, but backed off of that one to a more reasonable 120 later.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Nah, they tried that already with the 500-second post counter, but backed off of that one to a more reasonable 120 later.

Very true. I think it's funny they are re-adjusting everything except skill points and specialization points.

The main reason I stopped running queues, playing content, gaining specialization, ot do anything else is the whole skill point and specialization points. I feel the longer Cryptic ignores that whole topic. The less players they will have.

At this rate, I think they lose the players they gained doing DR and LOR combined but this is the best expansion ever!
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a simple fix.

Don't buy, don't play.

You can't go grind 800 patrol missions and then be expect to be heard after.

I ignore both crafting, upgrading and leveling entirely - easily too because I don't just throw words around.

When I say those systems made the game unplayable that's exactly what happnened.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    It's a simple fix.

Don't buy, don't play.

You can't go grind 800 patrol missions and then be expect to be heard after.

I ignore both crafting, upgrading and leveling entirely - easily too because I don't just throw words around.

When I say those systems made the game unplayable that's exactly what happnened.

Yea. It's pretty much what I am doing.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's December 16th.

I guess skill point is not important.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1329401
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's December 16th.

I guess skill point is not important.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1329401

A pointless patch like this is not going to encourage people to keep playing. Oh wow, thanks for fixing the snowball knockdown issue that 5 or 6 people on the forums were whining about. Now how's about fixing the Skill Points issue that quite a few more people than that are whining about?

And yes, I'm one of the people whining about skill points.

To those who think it should take 6 months to a year to gain the specialization points I require to train my intel bridge officers I say this: your willingness to roll over to Cryptic's illogical changes will eventually lead to you coming on the forums, complaining about an issue that affects you and being totally ignored by Cryptic.

I bet you white knights will be getting a little uncomfortable in the saddles of your noble steeds by then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    inthefluxxinthefluxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So I recently finished my Pilot specialization, and now I am looking at what appears to be a nearly insurmountable grind fest to fill out the intelligence tree.

Combine that with the grind necessary for mk. 14 gear, and I just don't want to do it.

I have two other characters. I used to log in and level them, and overall I enjoyed it. I just don't want to do the entire grind for two other characters, it's just too much, I won't do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's not just about the points they nerfed.

It's also about the uselessness of the passives through all specialization points. And especially how little value they have compared to the amount of time you have to put in.

Do that, and you just run into the next problem. That, what was the point? Grind 800 patrol missions to queue up for empty maps?

The t6 damage is ultimately somewhere entirely different pay and time-gate over in "upgrading"

After your 800 patrol missions you won't be 1 inch closer to t6, that's just the reality.

Not that I'd upgrade either, both are laughable and an insult to games and players everywhere
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's not just about the points they nerfed.

It's also about the uselessness of the passives through all specialization points. And especially how little value they have compared to the amount of time you have to put in.

Do that, and you just run into the next problem. That, what was the point? Grind 800 patrol missions to queue up for empty maps?

The t6 damage is ultimately somewhere entirely different pay and time-gate over in "upgrading"

After your 800 patrol missions you won't be 1 inch closer to t6, that's just the reality.

Not that I'd upgrade either, both are laughable and an insult to games and players everywhere

That is true. All that work and I get very little out of it. The pilot gave me 25% turn rate, which i like, but there isn't content that benefits me for putting in all that time and effort.

I run a carrier, and they nerfed the only point in running it. I gave up valuable weapon slots for deployable damage, and they went ahead and nerfed damage and health. I'd be in a much better position if I just had an 8 weapon ship.

If the specializations gave us extra console slots, or something else, they might be worth putting in 8000 minutes.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    while the time sink involved in the skill system is a disgustingly bloated time gate, the amount of power it offers in nothing to be scoffed at.

the attack pattern spec alone is worth 15k hp a minute.

couple that with shield reinforcement and and hide weakness and your ship is much more durable. unless you have done something very wrong.

What really peeves me off is that just because I enjoy ground content more, it means my spec point gains are utterly pathetic. More widely, you can't play content you enjoy and necessarily get good progression, and mostly because they're trying to shoehorn everyone into the DR content which is rather boring. If they had just increased gains across the board and balanced out ground and space at the same time, things would be a lot better.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We are talking specialization passives' value for t6 queue maps.

Pvp I couldn't tell you proably different yeah.

But the thing about the empty maps and so what then becomes the t6 wall, or the t6 admission fee is the health boost to npcs.

Meaning, nothing but damage and as I said that is time and pay gated under "upgrading".

So, from your first patrol mission to number 800 you won't be 1 inch closer to t6.

And now we are on that subject that's another thing to laugh at, how 2/3 of the careers are not dps and how many people just want to fly their favorite ship be it sci or engi.

That's just weak design, terrible straight up, and again an insult to us as gamers, customers and an embarrasment to games everwhere
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We are talking specialization passives' value for t6 queue maps.

Pvp I couldn't tell you proably different yeah.

But the thing about the empty maps and so what then becomes the t6 wall, or the t6 admission fee is the health boost to npcs.

Meaning, nothing but damage and as I said that is time and pay gated under "upgrading".

So, from your first patrol mission to number 800 you won't be 1 inch closer to t6.

And now we are on that subject that's another thing to laugh at, how 2/3 of the careers are not dps and how many people just want to fly their favorite ship be it sci or engi.

That's just weak design, terrible straight up, and again an insult to us as gamers, customers and an embarrasment to games everwhere

My tactical character, who I do not play, is a Romulan. With the singularity ability, she completely decimates anything in her path.

I think another problem with STO is the lack of actual player abilities you get from leveling. Most of your powers really come from your equipment.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What really peeves me off is that just because I enjoy ground content more, it means my spec point gains are utterly pathetic. More widely, you can't play content you enjoy and necessarily get good progression, and mostly because they're trying to shoehorn everyone into the DR content which is rather boring. If they had just increased gains across the board and balanced out ground and space at the same time, things would be a lot better.

Yeah man, 100% agree. It totaly sux the exp gain difference between space and ground. For 1 spec poit I have to do 25 bug hunts elite but far less Argala runs, advanced even. Or by time gate, in around 1 hour or so, doing space combat you can gain 1 spec point, yet if you do grounds it takes far more :(
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Any updates in balancing Skill points?

With an added specialization tree (command specialization) would be nice to extend an olive branch to the playerbase or at least balance from what was done last October.

Just curious but probably will go unnoticed :/

**Disclaimer: not a relic thread since last post was from Dec 27th**
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Any updates in balancing Skill points?

With an added skill point tree (command specialization) would be nice to extend an olive branch to the playerbase or at least balance from what was done last October.

Just curious but probably will go unnoticed :/

**Disclaimer: not a relic thread since last post was from Dec 27th**

There's no update. I checked on Tribble today and unfortunately the skill point requirement for each specialization point is still the same.

A bit disappointing really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!