What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Queue Revamps

Comments

• Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will agree that the borg ground will not be possible for the random team. And I am a proud pug supporter.

I was doing them for a while for the VR mats. But I got tired of it. The only one that's remotely reasonable is Khittomer. The others are way over the top as is. But even its optionals are going to be too hard as they exist now.

Also I will admit to having no idea what people mean by this scan the rift in viscous cycle? Maybe someone else is doing it. I usually score well in pugs on that mission.

lol... No Kitomer is easy to TRIBBLE up. All it takes is an engineer putting down a turret an aggroing the entire room. One person crossing the threshold too early and starting the timer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol... No Kitomer is easy to TRIBBLE up. All it takes is an engineer putting down a turret an aggroing the entire room. One person crossing the threshold too early and starting the timer.

well it's the only one I could do anyway. That one where you run all the way aound the station in alpha centauri - the end part of that is an absolute troll. I was only on one team that managed to make the boss appear (after a good hour) then we lost and had to restart the whole insane room process. no thanks.

I completed khittomer 15 or 20 times to zero of the other 2. Anyway, it will take a team that is very experienced at the missions to do any of them.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    With the removal of loot and reduced Dilithium for rewards. They are pretty much leaving everything in STO to buying ZEN as your only option. :(
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Long overdue...
    Exactly THIS.

Hell, I haven't even been in an FA since 2012 since they relegated entrance to them as Que Only.
    Limiting player entrance to a group activity was a bad move, but FORCING players to be at the whim of others who may or may NOT be paying attention to, or even caring about their que buttons was just asinine.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure if this has been answered anywhere - but how do 'reputation tokens' fall into this? Will I need to run advanced to get Ancient Tech and Isomorphic Injections? Are these Elite only now?
  • Options
    sigurdrosssigurdross Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok so let me make sure I see where this is going.

HP and damage is up so really the problem is enemy HP is up cause most of us only take so many shots already.

Is this just turning the elites into those rides at themeparks "Your DPS must be this high to join the elite"

It seems DPS is the only thing people are even discussing conderning this. Not "have a cruiser that can tank the damage so the DPS can do their thing. Or have a science ship handle healing or scrambling or other methods to assist." It seems like this just asks for a bunch of particular vesses with particularly extereme DPS methods, most of which are Federation or Romulan, and it's not that much more strategy as it is "hit it even harder than before and just run away if you're hit."

The gate's still practically one shot a fully tanked cruiser. Voth dreads do that often too. I don't think a change like this is going to do much for cruiser and science vessel captains except marginalize them further.
  • Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It may be too late to do it this late in game development, but it seems like it was a bad idea to have a "bring anything" approach to queueing to begin with, instead of traditional MMO roles such as tank/heal/dps.

Over time, it's clear that only dps matters and that's getting even further focused on now. No maneuvering/positioning, hardly any use of non-attack science powers, and just about zero purpose to bring a dedicated tank.

Guild Wars 2 tried the "no trinity" thing too. It didn't work out so well with a very similar result.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It may be too late to do it this late in game development, but it seems like it was a bad idea to have a "bring anything" approach to queueing to begin with, instead of traditional MMO roles such as tank/heal/dps.

Over time, it's clear that only dps matters and that's getting even further focused on now. No maneuvering/positioning, hardly any use of non-attack science powers, and just about zero purpose to bring a dedicated tank.

Guild Wars 2 tried the "no trinity" thing too. It didn't work out so well with a very similar result.

The MMO Trinity is an abomination of substandard play. STO runs with something more akin to the RPG Trinity instead, which provides for roles and the ability to take up those roles based on what one is doing - while also providing a plethora of options for one to tackle what is necessary to get the job done.
  • Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The MMO Trinity is an abomination of substandard play. STO runs with something more akin to the RPG Trinity instead, which provides for roles and the ability to take up those roles based on what one is doing - while also providing a plethora of options for one to tackle what is necessary to get the job done.

An abomination, huh? Is it that great for there to be all these captain classes, ship classes, consoles, and powers, but none of them meaning a lick of difference if they're not DPS focused?

Your "plethora of roles" is vapor, pushed away by the breeze which is watching a playthrough of the upcoming endgame content, and see just how much of a "plethroa" there is of people spamming beam-fire-at-will.
  • Options
    sigurdrosssigurdross Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here's a video with the plethora of options being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecH-Npklj8s

The plethora of fire at will

And that's it. Anything else is helping you stay alive and fire at willing more

No feedback pulseing no masking energy signiture no scramble sensor, gravity well, tractor beams, viral matrix, extend shields III, Aceton beam, Eject Warp Plasma.

Just FAW III and do it as often as possible :/
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The reason why the Trinity does not exist in STO is because there is more people who want to out DPS the enemy and since the NPCs are so dumb and have not been programmed with any kind of tactics and the ones that are nerfed till a new player can defeat it. There is no need for tanks and or science ships.

I for one do not confirm to use a tactical build I have a sci captiain in a eng cruiser and when the Dauntless is realeased and I have the zen for it. I will buy that yes it is a tactical/sci ship but I will build it like the science ship it is.

If these new Cryptic qs allow it to be possible to use the eng,sci and tac ships and program there NPCS with tactics then you won't lose the Trinity and the game will be more enjoyable. And lets hope they don't nerf it on release
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited October 2014

I'm not a huge proponent of the trinity.

However, I will take that over the "unity."

Providing the ability to spec into a role isn't really providing that role in the game.

The game's encounters need to be designed to make them serve a purpose. Taking a "tank" cruiser", "support" cruiser/sci, or "debuffer" ship in that can't put up requisite DPS means the team loses. Even if they have the needed DPS along with their utilities (essentially meaning you can't be that role, you can at best be a hybrid), a full DPS spec ship would still actually result in a faster run with less complications (the opposite of the intent of those roles).

In short, provided roles means nothing, necessary roles are all that matter. When you have a provided role that is not a necessary role, you've wasted a lot of developers AND players time.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The game's encounters need to be designed to make them serve a purpose.

I'm trying to remember an episode of Star Trek where we had five ships...

USS Tankz: "Hey, Borg...yo mama so fat...yeah, you need to attack me and ignore everybody else!"
    USS Healz: "Heh, stupid Borg ignoring me as I toss mad heals."
    USS Deepz: "Pew pew pew, mutha!"
    USS DPSin': "And a little this, and a little that, and a little more this!"
    USS DeePS: "This is how we do it..."
    BorgBoss: "I'm a threat to the entire Alpha Quadrant, but I shall ignore the three guys unloading all sorts of damage at me and the guy that's waving a magic wand from his bridge to heal the other guy...so I can focus on the guy talking about my mother...so they can all pat themselves on the back after they defeat me."

...yeah, I'm just not remembering that.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Culling of Noobs. This will seperate the good from the bad. If you don't know what your doing we will know.

"Mental Note" Start reading those incomeing messages at the beginning of the Missioin they just might be important. ahhh....TRIBBLE it. Nobody reads that junk...set spacebar to auto attack..Pew Pew Pew.

10 minutes and 1 second later. Screaming at Cryptic on Forums because I didn't get any marks or dilithium.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm trying to remember an episode of Star Trek where we had five ships...

USS Tankz: "Hey, Borg...yo mama so fat...yeah, you need to attack me and ignore everybody else!"
    USS Healz: "Heh, stupid Borg ignoring me as I toss mad heals."
    USS Deepz: "Pew pew pew, mutha!"
    USS DPSin': "And a little this, and a little that, and a little more this!"
    USS DeePS: "This is how we do it..."
    BorgBoss: "I'm a threat to the entire Alpha Quadrant, but I shall ignore the three guys unloading all sorts of damage at me and the guy that's waving a magic wand from his bridge to heal the other guy...so I can focus on the guy talking about my mother...so they can all pat themselves on the back after they defeat me."

...yeah, I'm just not remembering that.

Deep Space Nine Emmisary Had a few ships in albeit a lot blowing up.
    A lot of the Dominion War episodes has multiple class ships in a few TNG episodes has multiple ships in. One captained by Mr Data. although they didnt use the language you just did they fit there roles needed as in Data when disobeying a order he uncovered the full Romulan Fleet that was trying to help the Duras in the war.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Deep Space Nine Emmisary Had a few ships in albeit a lot blowing up.
    A lot of the Dominion War episodes has multiple class ships in a few TNG episodes has multiple ships in. One captained by Mr Data. although they didnt use the language you just did they fit there roles needed as in Data when disobeying a order he uncovered the full Romulan Fleet that was trying to help the Duras in the war.

A lot of the Dominion War footage was the same footage over and over, just edited...and most of it was just everything blowing up to make the Defiant look god-like by comparison to everything else...until the DS9 storyline called for it to be destroyed.

And Data doing X, while Data has also done ABC-through-X-&YZ...points more to how STO is than making it some MMO Trinity game.

Which is kind of the point...STO has careers...STO has roles...but just like Star Trek - they're not hardcore fixed roles that are required.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    An abomination, huh? Is it that great for there to be all these captain classes, ship classes, consoles, and powers, but none of them meaning a lick of difference if they're not DPS focused?

Your "plethora of roles" is vapor, pushed away by the breeze which is watching a playthrough of the upcoming endgame content, and see just how much of a "plethroa" there is of people spamming beam-fire-at-will.

Really if you think about it, we have no roles for say on here!

I mean us as captains, are only given 5 active skills, making us a captain rank boff at best in space.

On ground yes, it is slightly different, because of the nifty kits and use of 2 weapons vs 1 for boffs.

But take away the kit powers, and what are we left with? 2 weapons vs 1, and again only 5 active skills!

Skill points, just really imo only effect everything, meaning ourselves, our boffs, our ships.

So what trinity is there really in this game?

When any class captain, has the capacity to be a tank + dps + healer all rolled up into 1.

There isn't any really, just restriction by ship + skills selection, leaving no real need of true roles!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    From the dev blog:

What you used to refer to as Elite in our queued events and STFs is now known as Advanced. In the new Advanced versions of the queues you will see a similar level of challenge in the enemies that you are used to when the queues were labeled Elite.

So... what happened to the intent of this statement?

Advanced ques are just about impossible to complete.
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe now they seem harder than Elite, but at lvl 60 they might be same challenge. I'd say let's wait it out.
  • Options
    scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe now they seem harder than Elite, but at lvl 60 they might be same challenge. I'd say let's wait it out.

DPS does not increase with level. Why would they be any easier?
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Played Infected Space Advanced today again after abysmal failure last night.
    This time went much better.
    I had since gained a few specilization points and progressed to starship mastery rank 3 with my upgraded and decked out Fleet Sovereign.
    I am now at Level 53.

We had one Level 60 on the team, don't know about the rest as it was a partial PUG.

We didn't have much difficulty with the mission.

Was only slightly more difficult than the previous Elite in that it took a little longer to complete and the nanite spheres managed to get closer to healing the transformers, but a lsingly burst of TBR helped here to buy us the time we needed.
    Eventually we completed the mission successfully including the time optional.

I'd say this mission is perfectly balanced right now to provide a challenge to good builds without getting crazy difficult.

Teams of beginners and fresh level 50s should stay away from it, though.

A team of maxed players at 60 with lots of new traits, perks and specializations will breeze through it just like the old Elite.

Also played Undine Infiltration Advanced which is just as easy as it was before. I didn't notice any changes in difficulty except that putting out the fire did now became mandatory.
    Someone blew the optional by TRIBBLE up an interview.

The fights in the cave were no more difficult than before, if anything they felt a little easier, but that is anecdotal, since I don't know the stats of the team.
    Also a PUG.

This mission can become more difficult in the cave, don't know how you could make the interviews harder except by adding more quenstions/answers to make it less predicatable. By now most people who play this regularly know the correct answers by heart and dont need to search the clues at all.
    Or maybe have the quarantined Undine resist the arrest or attacking the civilians which you have to protect?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    whiterookwhiterook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stodecker wrote: »
    I've been alive the whole time. :D

Really Posi - using Matt Decker for your avatar - that scares me! :D
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the thing is... these adv. pve queues were meant to be playable for average lvl50 players... not for lvl 60 captains (thats what the elite missions are for)

but right now i see practically every adv. pve mission failing because time runs out, enemies being too strong and players leaving the match because its no joy for them anymore.

The new queue revamps is a massive design failure that is destroying players fun and ruining casual gameplay for all that just want to jump into a short mission to earn some marks or dilithium.
    The rewards for this new pve mission system are idiotic and have been reduced for most players in the game.

While practically everything costs much more dilithium due to all the changes since season 9.5 the dilithium rewards have been even reduced.
    Its no joy when after 5 hours pve missions you only have earned like 4000 dil. Thats what many people experience on the server these days.
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok heres what should be done. Increase timers on advanced difficulty by a bit and increase the enemy difficulty on elite by a bit. Will make pugers stay in advanced and pros at elite.
    Would appreciate a decent reward as well.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok I hear a lot of BS comments saying wait it out. OK fine BUT I see a HUGE flaw in the Advanced. If there is a newer player just getting to say Level 50 and needs Rep gear that requires say borg implants that used to be rewarded on the old elites, Prior to this patcha newly minted 50 good join a PVE snd get a drop of those items. Sure they may have died or not have done as much damage as more buffed ship that has the Rep gear (not counting flleet stuff here in this thread) but they got a drop that let them earn a rep item so they woulf improve gear wise. From the Advanced I have tried thier chance is ZERO now. I cannot see how Cryptic can claim the new Advanced are the same as the old elites. Oh yeah I ran a T5U Mogh with all Level 13 Fleet consoles, Fleet weapons, and Rep shields Reman Level 12, Fleet warp core, and other L 12 plus Rep gear and I am level 55 and its a damn hard nearly impossible thing. I really feel bad for newer players I bet a boat load will just walk away from the game instead of waiting it out. Oh while I am on it Who The F was the genuis who decided if you dont do the optional part of an Advanced you instant fail the entire thing?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    One last thing these new revamped PVE's are spawning an whole spawn of "entitled" players who never want anyone but them to gain access to better gear. It disgusts me that the WOW mindset has reared it ugly foul head here. It runs counter to everything Trek has been for 50 years. If you don't want to encounter newer less skilled players stick to PVP and NEVER do any PVE unless its you and your friends in a private.
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Ok I hear a lot of BS comments saying wait it out. OK fine BUT I see a HUGE flaw in the Advanced. If there is a newer player just getting to say Level 50 and needs Rep gear that requires say borg implants that used to be rewarded on the old elites, Prior to this patcha newly minted 50 good join a PVE snd get a drop of those items. Sure they may have died or not have done as much damage as more buffed ship that has the Rep gear (not counting flleet stuff here in this thread) but they got a drop that let them earn a rep item so they woulf improve gear wise. From the Advanced I have tried thier chance is ZERO now. I cannot see how Cryptic can claim the new Advanced are the same as the old elites. Oh yeah I ran a T5U Mogh with all Level 13 Fleet consoles, Fleet weapons, and Rep shields Reman Level 12, Fleet warp core, and other L 12 plus Rep gear and I am level 55 and its a damn hard nearly impossible thing. I really feel bad for newer players I bet a boat load will just walk away from the game instead of waiting it out. Oh while I am on it Who The F was the genuis who decided if you dont do the optional part of an Advanced you instant fail the entire thing?

You. are. a. noob.

Accept that and farm new gear or learn how to play.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    keravnios wrote: »
    You. are. a. noob.

Accept that and farm new gear or learn how to play.

Wow really ??? You are just another entitled sphincter sounding off.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They have mentioned that a T5 ship should be able to do the advanced, without upgrading. What they don't say is that it is not possible with a whole group of them. They will need others at high level, with T5-U, or T6 ships to carry them.

They are doing this all wrong. If they want the advanced to be for level 50 players, then it should have been locked out till you get to 58-60. Like before, the normal STFs were unlocked at level 45, and offered a little challenge. Then, you hit level 50, and the elite were suppose to be the challenge. But, we already have the new elite for level 60, so there is no point in that.

The way it should be is like this, the normal stay like they are for the low DPS players that are only after quick marks, and don't want to chase DPS, or try to farm Dil. And the rewards should remain the same as they were before DR.

The advanced should give a slight challenge to the level 50 characters, and get much easier as you go. The rewards should be 960 Dil as before. This difficulty should be for the average player, and should encourage them to play it more often. This is why it is a little challenging as a fresh level 50 character. Also, it will only be a little more of a challenge for the T5 ships not upgraded, but not impossible.

The elite should be just that. They should be the missions that put the best of the best to the challenge. It should be a difficulty that makes the elite have something to do at level 60, and keeps them happy. I believe the reward should be twice as much as the rewards for advance (1920 Dil). Make this worth the challenge, and make people want to strive for it. Rewards, as well as the challenge should do this.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!