test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gear Upgrade System

Comments

• craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I came up with the haiku if I do say so myself :)

well done :)
    I wasnt sure what a haiku was when i first saw your sig, so i had to look it up lol.
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    The problem is, they dont listen to feedback. If they did, they wouldnt have done a few things that most people hated, but they did regardless of how the player base felt
    That's why I said presumably. I'm still ******** about what they did to the DOFF UI.
    HA! You must be new here! We (veterans) know how things go when "new content" is released. History has shown us that no matter what, the grind will always be greater than the content (including grinding content, which does not count but to Cryptic/PWE, it does). Season 9 is the best example with the reputation nerf. SOOOO many people did NOT like what they saw on tribble, but we got stuck with it anyways. The list goes on. This will be no different.
    Ah, no, not that new. I'm at about two and half years at the moment.

I appreciate your not using fanboy, but saying use defender instead actually just means your substituting one derogatory for another that while less offensive you use it with the same intent.

I saw what was said at Season 9 and the rep nerf. There were plenty of people crying BS and plenty of people saying it was a necessary step to combat power creep.

The fact of the matter is that on this system we are two rational people who have just come down on different sides of an issue. You think that it is a soulless money grab with no value to the players and a waste of time and dilithium, another iteration of Perfectworld and Cryptic's need to suck the fun out and skip out on making real content. By real content I would presume you mean the same thing as I do, intensive story development that advances the plot of the game and gives us something to do that we haven't done a thousand times over. Content that allows us to boldly go where no one has gone before. You also seem to feel that the top tier gear you've already acquired should stay top tier forever, even though you think and have stated if we have to put any effort into anything that it should only be to get from MkXIII to MkXIV and upgrading to MkXIII should be free.

I see this system as relatively sound and certainly not the worst case scenario (that being upgrading gear for Zen). It's pretty much exactly what I expected, though I feel that the dilithium cost needs to come down some. This system is in line with the Devs actually said a while ago, that since people were blowing through everything they did at maximum speed, that they were going to start implementing things that took a long time to do. I've never been the Doom and Catastrophe type in anything, so no I'm not a fanboy, or a rookie, and I'm barely a defender. I'm just not as shocked or offended as you guys seem to be.

If you feel that I'm stupid, naive, or blind for giving the Devs the benefit of the doubt on this expansion having as much or more story content than Legacy well, then do your thing.

sinn74 wrote: »
    There are numerous other threads filled with complaints about pretty much every aspect they've revealed thus far.

T6 ships
    T5 ship upgrades
    Advanced/Elite STFs, etc.

No shortage of "We don't like that. Please reconsider." (or some, other, far less polite, responses).

edit: To be honest, every time new information is released, I just assume it will be more "bad news," at this point. I was fine with a few changes, but there seems to be way more focus on grinding/farming/crafting/waiting than actual fun things to do.

And none of that is the story content that I was talking about.

Hell if I had access I'd probably be saying, "I don't like that. Please Reconsider too."
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is true as well. I don't want a tron phaser anymore :P

I second that statement, I'm also hoping to take the basic Phaser rifle that the NPC's use and making that Gold if its possible, just because I can ( Assuming i can that is)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    HA! You must be new here! We (veterans) know how things go when "new content" is released. History has shown us that no matter what, the grind will always be greater than the content (including grinding content, which does not count but to Cryptic/PWE, it does). Season 9 is the best example with the reputation nerf. SOOOO many people did NOT like what they saw on tribble, but we got stuck with it anyways. The list goes on. This will be no different.
    Um... when did you start playing? I started back in Season 4.... *insert "darn kids get off my lawn" clip here*

Peeps have found reasons to hate every season... "Waaahhh the Breen are OP!" "Whaahhhh Kar'Ukan splats me over and over!"

It's kinda repetitive and boring hearing rehashes of the same whining.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    I second that statement, I'm also hoping to take the basic Phaser rifle that the NPC's use and making that Gold if its possible, just because I can ( Assuming i can that is)
    Nah, apparently the weapon model is linked to MK level.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looking at the spreadsheet makes me wonder if it will be cheaper to simply purchase the Mk XIV gear over the upgrade...

hmmm...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    That's why I said presumably. I'm still ******** about what they did to the DOFF UI.

"

im still a tad ***** about the rep nerf.
    Like i said, if they took their time to do things right, they could do great things with this game, but either they are lazy, or like taking short cuts.

I take back what i said earlier too......yobnaf.......done ;)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nah, apparently the weapon model is linked to MK level.

NOOOOOOO,

Oh well, Gold Elite Fleet weapons it is then
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Um... when did you start playing? I started back in Season 4.... *insert "darn kids get off my lawn" clip here*

Peeps have found reasons to hate every season... "Waaahhh the Breen are OP!" "Whaahhhh Kar'Ukan splats me over and over!"

It's kinda repetitive and boring hearing rehashes of the same whining.

Season 2. And if you don't like it... you can always leave. Changes need to be made and that is all we are trying to accomplish.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    The fact of the matter is that on this system we are two rational people who have just come down on different sides of an issue. You think that it is a soulless money grab with no value to the players and a waste of time and dilithium, another iteration of Perfectworld and Cryptic's need to suck the fun out and skip out on making real content. By real content I would presume you mean the same thing as I do, intensive story development that advances the plot of the game and gives us something to do that we haven't done a thousand times over. Content that allows us to boldly go where no one has gone before. You also seem to feel that the top tier gear you've already acquired should stay top tier forever, even though you think and have stated if we have to put any effort into anything that it should only be to get from MkXIII to MkXIV and upgrading to MkXIII should be free.

I see this system as relatively sound and certainly not the worst case scenario (that being upgrading gear for Zen). It's pretty much exactly what I expected, though I feel that the dilithium cost needs to come down some. This system is in line with the Devs actually said a while ago, that since people were blowing through everything they did at maximum speed, that they were going to start implementing things that took a long time to do. I've never been the Doom and Catastrophe type in anything, so no I'm not a fanboy, or a rookie, and I'm barely a defender. I'm just not as shocked or offended as you guys seem to be.

If you feel that I'm stupid, naive, or blind for giving the Devs the benefit of the doubt on this expansion having as much or more story content than Legacy well, then do your thing.
    By saying that calling you a defender and saying that's derogatory implies that I am am showing disrespect. But on the contrary, being a defender of anything is more noble. So you are just taking offense where none is given. Which is all on you, not me.
    signature.png
  • tervoldchantervoldchan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What a nice Upgrade shop.

you don't have to spend Dilithium when you make Tech Upgrade items.
    But when You upgrade item YOU HAVE TO SPEND dilithium. :rolleyes:

Am I wrong or it's dilithium not in first step but in second?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    im still a tad ***** about the rep nerf.
    Like i said, if they took their time to do things right, they could do great things with this game, but either they are lazy, or like taking short cuts.

I take back what i said earlier too......yobnaf.......done ;)

Agreed and Forgiven. It never happened. :D

My ship was diesel as hell with all those rep traits.

I was a proponent of having eight abilities so we could keep all of the rep traits we had then and only have to swap out abilities when new reps came down the pipeline. That way nobody loses anything.

It's a brutal balance. You have to put things out fast enough that people stay interested (to avoid another catastrophe like the drought after Season 4) but then you have to actually put enough time and polish into it. Cryptic clearly has chosen to go with the former instead of the latter, even though today's dev blog says they've been working on this since December.

I kinda wish they would lean more towards balance and testing. And Not porting over systems from NeverWinter wholesale that haven't been tested by the very different STO crowd. Cookie Cutters are the enemy of good development of...well anything except cookies.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited September 2014
    Season 2. And if you don't like it... you can always leave. Changes need to be made and that is all we are trying to accomplish.
    Uh, yeah, there's a reason Cryptic ignores your ideas. They suck from a business POV. Sure... YOU would love it. But Cryptic's bank account? not so much.

I like the game as-is, this upgrade system is better than most... er... actually I can't think of a better one, can you? And I mean things that were actually implemented in an MMO not things in your head...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2014
    By saying that calling you a defender and saying that's derogatory implies that I am am showing disrespect. But on the contrary, being a defender of anything is more noble. So you are just taking offense where none is given. Which is all on you, not me.

I can take you at your word. If you say that you don't use defender as a substitute for fanboy while meaning the same thing, then I'll accept that as how it is and I retract the statement with respect.

The way you worded it implied something different to me is all, sorry for reading into it unnecessarily.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cool. I don't care much for the new crafting system but I'll go ahead and start levelling it up. But I'de sure like to know about set piece upgrading, and rep gear. Why bother rep'ping up to get better gear when you can craft 'up' your lower tier piece. And upgrading some of that lower tier 'hybrid' stuff is gonna be amazing. Can we create new types of hybrid gear, say like a Dominion Polaron with a built-in tet glider , or Voth AP with a disruptor glider ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited September 2014
    Uh, yeah, there's a reason Cryptic ignores your ideas. They suck from a business POV. Sure... YOU would love it. But Cryptic's bank account? not so much.

I like the game as-is, this upgrade system is better than most... er... actually I can't think of a better one, can you? And I mean things that were actually implemented in an MMO not things in your head...

Divergence: Online
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    I can take you at your word. If you say that you don't use defender as a substitute for fanboy while meaning the same thing, then I'll accept that as how it is and I retract the statement with respect.

The way you worded it implied something different to me is all, sorry for reading into it unnecessarily.

Its ok, I completely understand your POV in that situation. :)
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Its ok, I completely understand your POV in that situation. :)

Cool beans. :cool:

So back on topic, what about the Divergence Online system do you like?
    edited September 2014
    Cool beans. :cool:

So back on topic, what about the Divergence Online system do you like?

Well please keep in mind the game is still in alpha. But its not F2P so it wont have micro-transaction after micro-transaction. Instead you pay for the game and the for a subscription to play. Very similar to how STO and SWTOR started. Divergence: Online, is suppose to be a second life hybrid of like star wars galaxies and borderlands without a leveling system. Open PvP everywhere, with no designated course of action laid before you. Its suppose to be infinitely open. so you can pretty much do whatever you want. similar to fallout 3 or skyrim.
    signature.png
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    For those wanting to see the costs atm. I have a spreadsheet up with most of the costs. I also have an example build and the costs to upgrade it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JU8ciOpp5kbplvwFanr7ast9THnAwC3LywmYHZREMx0/edit?usp=sharing

Go to Sheet 2 at the bottom to see more info. Putting in new stuff as I get it.

Thank you! Found all the info I wanted.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited September 2014

And none of that is the story content that I was talking about.

Hell if I had access I'd probably be saying, "I don't like that. Please Reconsider too."

But more story content (instead of the numerous grind/timesink/timegate stuff being added) is what pretty much everyone would prefer. Thus all the complaining about everything else. There are a lot of resources being put into new "systems," which seem to be like "The answer to the question no one was asking." :D
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    For those wanting to see the costs atm. I have a spreadsheet up with most of the costs. I also have an example build and the costs to upgrade it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JU8ciOpp5kbplvwFanr7ast9THnAwC3LywmYHZREMx0/edit?usp=sharing

Go to Sheet 2 at the bottom to see more info. Putting in new stuff as I get it.

Thanks for this. :)
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The real important question is if we will be able to find mk XIV gear or have access to it through the reputation system, or if mk XII is the highest we will find and we will be forced to upgrade to XIII and XIV.

The latter is unacceptable.

This upgrade system is fine if it lets us bring our existing gear up to par (since other MMOs just make your existing gear obsolete), but if the upgrade system is required for XIII and XIV? No.
    edited September 2014
    Well please keep in mind the game is still in alpha. But its not F2P so it wont have micro-transaction after micro-transaction. Instead you pay for the game and the for a subscription to play. Very similar to how STO and SWTOR started. Divergence: Online, is suppose to be a second life hybrid of like star wars galaxies and borderlands without a leveling system. Open PvP everywhere, with no designated course of action laid before you. Its suppose to be infinitely open. so you can pretty much do whatever you want. similar to fallout 3 or skyrim.

I have to admit I personally do prefer a Pay to Play model, even though I can't afford it at this moment, it just seems to make for a much cleaner experience. It seems like it would be a much more steady revenue stream. But I don't get to see the numbers they're pulling in with lockboxes *Patooie!* or the C-store so the current microtransactions method could massively improve their bottom line. Which is sad.

I've seen Divergence and I have to agree it does look insanely epic, nigh mythical. That shot in the trailer from E3 when the guy jumps into his ship flies past the alien dinosaurs dodging enemy fire and going up through the atmosphere then out into space and past the moon and the enemy fleet..... breathtaking, perhaps the best sense of exploration I've seen since I cruised into a cluster in Mass Effect for the first time.

I would prefer something with a bit more direction, but the go anywhere do anything type of gameplay definitely has its own appeal.

I thought Marhawkman was asking you about the crafting system specifically...I was hoping you maybe had an inside track...oh well.

If the Dev team did decide to take a few pages from Divergence when/if they get around to revamping exploration....I would find this....agreeable.
    edited September 2014
    But more story content (instead of the numerous grind/timesink/timegate stuff being added) is what pretty much everyone would prefer. Thus all the complaining about everything else. There are a lot of resources being put into new "systems," which seem to be like "The answer to the question no one was asking." :D

hehe! Its like, we give them our money, and after years of meh, we get 42 in return. What good is 42 without context? (hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference ftw)
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Uh, yeah I WAS asking specifically about Item upgrading.

And no I don't think Divergence will be profitable....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2014

True True.

It could be said that there's a problem with the checklist approach to gaming. Everyone else has a crafting system we should have one too. Everyone else has a persistent minigame where you manage subordinates we should too.

There's something to be said for doing what you do extremely well.

If STO was a game with the same strong ship combat, ground action more focused on away teams exploring new planets, then no one would really complain.

The problem of course being that they would need to come up with new alien species and planets and cultures almost every week. Plus Star Trek is also about the politics of existing in a Galaxy with just as many enemies as friends.

How about using the Foundry as a submission point for a new alien species for the Devs to use.

Ok fantasy spinning over.
    edited September 2014
    I have to admit I personally do prefer a Pay to Play model, even though I can't afford it at this moment, it just seems to make for a much cleaner experience. It seems like it would be a much more steady revenue stream. But I don't get to see the numbers they're pulling in with lockboxes *Patooie!* or the C-store so the current microtransactions method could massively improve their bottom line. Which is sad.

I've seen Divergence and I have to agree it does look insanely epic, nigh mythical. That shot in the trailer from E3 when the guy jumps into his ship flies past the alien dinosaurs dodging enemy fire and going up through the atmosphere then out into space and past the moon and the enemy fleet..... breathtaking, perhaps the best sense of exploration I've seen since I cruised into a cluster in Mass Effect for the first time.

I would prefer something with a bit more direction, but the go anywhere do anything type of gameplay definitely has its own appeal.

I thought Marhawkman was asking you about the crafting system specifically...I was hoping you maybe had an inside track...oh well.

If the Dev team did decide to take a few pages from Divergence when/if they get around to revamping exploration....I would find this....agreeable.
    I agree with you 100%
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Uh, yeah I WAS asking specifically about Item upgrading.

And no I don't think Divergence will be profitable....

Gaming is not about profit. It's about fun. The creator of Divergence: Online said that he would be willing to go without a paycheck ot keep the game going. he already has for 2 years! Thats true gaming. Thats the heart of a true gamer. Making it business is just an exploitation. If your aim is to always make money when it comes to video games, you have already missed it. I implore you to watch the videos Ethan (Divergence:online creator) has put on his website on this very topic. Its quite inspiring.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Gaming is not about profit. It's about fun. The creator of Divergence: Online said that he would be willing to go without a paycheck ot keep the game going. he already has for 2 years! Thats true gaming. Thats the heart of a true gamer. Making it business is just an exploitation.
    Uh, his company IS a business. Just not a good one...

So I guess this means Divergence has no crafting/item upgrade system at all?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing