test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gear Upgrade System

Comments

• gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    good luck with finding an mmo that doesnt involve grinds, sinks or real money input.
    this game may not be perfect and many of us may whine about stuff, but as far as
    i'm concerned, this game has the best F2P model on the market. i cant decide if you
    are just young, nieve or 'hit yourself on the head with a soft plush tribble' crazy. but
    happy travels either way.

She never said she was looking for an mmo. That was an antagonistic assumption.
    signature.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I understand that you are still working out the details, but can we get word on which gear you currently plan to have an upgrade path for and which you're not sure about?

Fleet weapons, for instance, are already slightly inferior because you get stuck with a damage mod. It would be really nice if they were upgradable, because otherwise they'd be pretty useless.

Some of us have spend a lot of time and dil on our fleets getting them to a high tier and I don't want to see this effort go to waste.

But fleet gear is already UR and has some mods you get to pick versus having to try your luck at getting an [Acc]x3 up to an [Acc]x4 UR or better item.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    Levelless items will generally be upgradeable once you are level 50.
    Sorry to do this, but can we get some further clarification on that? The ability to upgrade nearly anything adds a lot of additional questions...

What will the baseline Quality of the various levelless items be?
    Will items such as the (Phaser/Disruptor/Plasma) Quad Cannons (that have [Dmg]x4) or Spiral Wave Disruptors (that have [Acc]x2 [Dmg]x2 and a bonus Phaser proc) be considered Ultra Rare or Epic by default, since they already have 4 and 5 additional properties respectively, or remain at the current Very Rare Quality?
    Will the current Quality levels of certain items be getting adjusted to match the number of [Mods] and/or procs they already have?
    How does the increased proc chance of the Polarized Tetryon weaponry count as far as number of [Mods] and the resulting Quality (or visa versa)?

What is the [Mod] pool for the Quality upgrades (i.e. the 4 basic [Mods], all craftable [Mods], all available [Mods], or some other subgroup of [Mods]?),
    Will we know in advance what [Mods] will be granted on specific items such as the set reputation gear that you said have pre-selected upgrade [Mods]?
    Are Spiral Wave Disruptors, the Hargh'peng torpedoes, or the Rapid Fire Transphasic Torpedo Launcher considered specific items, with pre-selected [Mods], or are they subject to the applicable random pool of [Mods] for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance. :)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    But fleet gear is already UR and has some mods you get to pick versus having to try your luck at getting an [Acc]x3 up to an [Acc]x4 UR or better item.

I suspect there will eventually be fleet MK 14 gear you can just buy. Maybe early next year or whenever the fleet T6 comes out.

For now, since the fleet gear has a MK it seems it can be upgraded with the same mods and with the ability to add a new mod.

I think the big question regarding cost is, again, how much the special accelerator pack costs or how hard is it to drop in a mission. Remember also that some purple mats are cheap but argonite, plekton, dentarium and craylon are between 300-500k. If you need to make or buy 10 of these it's going to be maybe 7 mil EC for the upgrade. The dil cost of between 20 and 30k is fine with me. Closer to 20 would be more fair.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just tried it on tribble. Makes sense. Good system. Thanks.

But what about hanger items? They don't get the upgrade option.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited September 2014

You missed the point. What do we get out of potentially upgrading mk XII fleet gear aside from potentially mk XIV fleet gear? How will that affect the work we have already put into being able to obtain the Mk XIIs in the first place? Not to mention what we needed to spend in Fleet Credit, Dilithium, and provisions to get them.
    signature.png
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    That's the BEAUTY of it. A lot of that gear you can just rerun the mission. And I already have a MkXI Paratrinic Shield, I found it quite diesel when I was leveling. Combat Hyper Impulse Engines MkXIV. :D

Ah yes I did not think of that. Instant increased episode replay value... Excellent job Cryptic... now all you have to do is give us dilithium for replaying story missions too and we can go back to having fun again!
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »
    So, yet another dilithium sink. And we're still stuck with the 8k daily refining limit.

Beautiful.

I can feel my interesting in continuing ebbing, and this is coming from a lifer.

What else are you going to do with a freely obtainable In game currency which serves the purpose of time gating certain content?

Stockpile it? Trade it for another In game currency? Its not as if theres any other point to Dilithium than to spend it

As far as I'm concerned the more places I can spend or "sink" Dilithium the better, I don't have any interest in stockpiling it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited September 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    What else are you going to do with a freely obtainable In game currency which serves the purpose of time gating certain content?

Stockpile it? Trade it for another In game currency? Its not as if theres any other point to Dilithium than to spend it

As far as I'm concerned the more places I can spend or "sink" Dilithium the better, I don't have any interest in stockpiling it

At this point, the sink outweighs how much you can actually spend. So I agree with previous statements, increase the dilithium cap or take your upgrade plan back.
    signature.png
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sorry to do this, but can we get some further clarification on that? The ability to upgrade nearly anything adds a lot of additional questions...

What will the baseline Quality of the various levelless items be?
    Will items such as the (Phaser/Disruptor/Plasma) Quad Cannons (that have [Dmg]x4) or Spiral Wave Disruptors (that have [Acc]x2 [Dmg]x2 and a bonus Phaser proc) be considered Ultra Rare or Epic by default, since they already have 4 and 5 additional properties respectively, or remain at the current Very Rare Quality?
    Will the current Quality levels of certain items be getting adjusted to match the number of [Mods] and/or procs they already have?
    How does the increased proc chance of the Polarized Tetryon weaponry count as far as number of [Mods] and the resulting Quality (or visa versa)?

What is the [Mod] pool for the Quality upgrades (i.e. the 4 basic [Mods], all craftable [Mods], all available [Mods], or some other subgroup of [Mods]?),
    Will we know in advance what [Mods] will be granted on specific items such as the set reputation gear that you said have pre-selected upgrade [Mods]?
    Are Spiral Wave Disruptors, the Hargh'peng torpedoes, or the Rapid Fire Transphasic Torpedo Launcher considered specific items, with pre-selected [Mods], or are they subject to the applicable random pool of [Mods] for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance. :)
    One thing I can answer is that ALL items you get will at the minimum be the exact same quality as the item you put in. There is ZERO chance for you to get a worse item out.

So my Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo will go from a Very Rare Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo to a MkXII Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, to a Very Rare Mk XIII Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo.

The mods will not change, but you will have the opportunity to get a new one if it increases in quality. So if It becomes a MkXIII Ultra Rare Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo then I'll get an additional mod, but the original [Acc][CrtH][Arc] will remain.
    You missed the point. What do we get out of potentially upgrading mk XII fleet gear aside from potentially mk XIV fleet gear? How will that affect the work we have already put into being able to obtain the Mk XIIs in the first place? Not to mention what we needed to spend in Fleet Credit, Dilithium, and provisions to get them.
    You will get an addition. There's no risk that you're gonna get something worse if that's your fear....though, apparently getting a damage mod on certain weapons will make people feel like it's a waste.
    antzudan wrote: »
    Ah yes I did not think of that. Instant increased episode replay value... Excellent job Cryptic... now all you have to do is give us dilithium for replaying story missions too and we can go back to having fun again!
    Dilithium and relevant marks. Imagine getting Romulan Marks from the Romulan Missions.

On that subject I hope that we get the old planned sequel to Divide et Impera, I don't like my Captain having that mark on his record.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited September 2014

Well, lets see. I'm betting the time and effort involved in getting a VR item up to UR quality will be a long enough grind that you'll be glad you already started with a UR item. Does it seem to cheapen the value of the fleet weapons? Yes, but they already gave a discount on the fleet stuff in anticipation of DR.
  • keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What about fleet gear? Didnt get that one
    edited September 2014
    Well, lets see. I'm betting the time and effort involved in getting a VR item up to UR quality will be a long enough grind that you'll be glad you already started with a UR item. Does it seem to cheapen the value of the fleet weapons? Yes, but they already gave a discount on the fleet stuff in anticipation of DR.

So If I attempt to upgrade my fleet gear I'm guaranteed at least a mk XIII UR equivalent of that item?
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    So If I attempt to upgrade my fleet gear I'm guaranteed at least a mk XIII UR equivalent of that item?

The quality stays equal or goes up.
    edited September 2014
    keravnios wrote: »
    What about fleet gear? Didnt get that one
    It can be upgraded.

I'd say over 90% of the gear can be upgraded.

The dev was pretty good with the answers. My post at the top of page 31 has them.

Yes.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    At this point, the sink outweighs how much you can actually spend. So I agree with previous statements, increase the dilithium cap or take your upgrade plan back.

I suspect the daily limit is set just at the point the Developers like it, perhaps as an insentive to daily play it does somewhat loose its effectiveness as frustration increases
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited September 2014
    The quality stay equal or go up.

So if I buy a white tech kit and apply it to my elite fleet resilient shield, It's guaranteed that I will get at least a mk XIII UR version? Than how would I get a mk XIV after the fact if I so choose?
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    So if I buy a white tech kit and apply it to my elite fleet resilient shield, It's guaranteed that I will get at least a mk XIII gold version? Than how would I get a mk XIV after the fact if I so choose?

There is another post out there. The dil costs with those white kits are high. The better the kit, the lower the dil costs. Also, there is no guarantee of the quality going up. The fleet shields will just probably stay UR.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hey everyone,

We have added a note to the OP blog just to clarify for everyone that upgrading Fleet gear will work the same as regular & Reputation gear.

Make sure to check out the blog for specific verbiage and get your inventories ready for all the incoming awesomeness!

~CaptainSmirk
    edited September 2014
    So if I buy a white tech kit and apply it to my elite fleet resilient shield, It's guaranteed that I will get at least a mk XIII gold version? Than how would I get a mk XIV after the fact if I so choose?

No. You will have a chance depending on the research points to jump to gold. A chance that will build the more research points you can apply. They haven't said anything more about how you get research points yet.

But once you have enough tech points you're guaranteed a MkXIII Ultra Rare.

Then you would continue upgrading it to Mk XIV same process.

And after you hit Mk XIV you can continue running upgrades until you get the Gold quality upgrade.
    edited September 2014
    There is another post out there. The dil costs with those white kits are high. The better the kit, the lower the dil costs. Also, there is no guarantee of the quality going up. The fleet shields will just probably stay UR.

Thanks -_-. I was optimistic for a second until you mentioned the fact that the crappier kit will cost dil as well.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Where did you see that?

And the Fleet shields can be upgraded all the way.
    Hey everyone,

We have added a note to the OP blog just to clarify for everyone that upgrading Fleet gear will work the same as regular & Reputation gear.

Make sure to check out the blog for specific verbiage and get your inventories ready for all the incoming awesomeness!

~CaptainSmirk
    Thanks.
    Thanks -_-. I was optimistic for a second until you mentioned the fact that the crappier kit will cost dil as well.

That is not correct. Crafting the kits do not cost dilithium. Only actually upgrading the item costs dilithium.

The white quality upgrade kits can be purchased at Spacedock for ec.
    edited September 2014
    Where did you see that?

And the Fleet shields can be upgraded all the way.

Thanks.

That is not correct. Crafting the kits do not cost dilithium. Only actually upgrading the item costs dilithium.

The white quality upgrade kits can be purchased at Spacedock for ec.

But using a basic kit increases the amount of dil needed to upgrade compared to that of the superiors which can only be crafted, purchased off the exchange,or traded, right?
    signature.png
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Any idea yet which items won't be upgradeable? I want to upgrade my CRM 200 and Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Where did you see that?

There's a line in the blog post that speaks of better efficiency in dilithium use, the better quality kit you use.

Which implies the cheapest kit will be the least efficient on dil use.
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    keravnios wrote: »
    PLEASE make any item that is upgraded account bound at the very least. Thank you!!!

I think this is a necessity if they want this to work otherwise every character with have to max out their crafting abilities. There only needs to be one crafter per account.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
    edited September 2014
    But using a basic kit increases the amount of dil needed to upgrade compared to that of the superiors which can only be crafted, purchased off the exchange,or traded, right?

Using a basic kit increases the number of times you'll need to run a tech project that is correct. But that wasn't the statement. The statement was the kits themselves cost more.

Any idea yet which items won't be upgradeable? I want to upgrade my CRM 200 and Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype.

Look through the dev post here. He lists a few.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19269271&postcount=301
    rinkster wrote: »
    There's a line in the blog post that speaks of better efficiency in dilithium use, the better quality kit you use.

Which implies the cheapest kit will be the least efficient on dil use.

You mean this.
    You can purchase Basic Tech Upgrades from vendors on Earth Spacedock and Qo’noS, but you’ll need to craft Improved or Superior Tech Upgrades, or purchase them from the exchange or from a friend with a high level of R&D skill. Tech Upgrades don’t require dilithium to purchase or craft, but applying a Tech Upgrade package does cost dilithium. The better Tech Upgrades provide more tech points and are more efficient with your dilithium investment.

Well in that case it's a case of wording. No worries then. :cool:
    edited September 2014
    Where did you see that?
    Better Upgrade Techs offer better Dilithium efficiency.

There you go. Tribble release notes.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    One thing I can answer is that ALL items you get will at the minimum be the exact same quality as the item you put in. There is ZERO chance for you to get a worse item out.

So my Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo will go from a Very Rare Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo to a MkXII Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, to a Very Rare Mk XIII Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo.

The mods will not change, but you will have the opportunity to get a new one if it increases in quality. So if It becomes a MkXIII Ultra Rare Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo then I'll get an additional mod, but the original [Acc][CrtH][Arc] will remain.
    Those bits I already get from jheinig's Posts #159 and #229... I was looking for further clarification...

Clarification on certain items such as the Spiral Wave Disruptors that, if they remain Very Rare as a baseline Quality, could end up with 2 procs and 6 [Mods] at Epic Quality.
    ...and...
    Clarification as to what pool the additional random [Mods] will be selected from.
    ...and...
    Clarification as to whether it is only Rep gear that has pre-selected [Mods] or if this applies to other specific items, such as the Hargh'peng Torpedo Launcher already mentioned as being upgradable.
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk
    Will upgrading Fleet gear work like upgrading regular or Reputation gear? Based on jheinig's prior posts, we know that regular gear will add additional random [Mods] as it improves in Quality and Reputation gear will have pre-selected [Mods] as it improves in Quality... which will Fleet gear do?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited September 2014
    I think this is a necessity if they want this to work otherwise every character with have to max out their crafting abilities. There only needs to be one crafter per account.

I think the item will be restricted according to what the original item's was. For instance there's no way in heck that they're gonna let me trade my MACO Resilient Shield to another character.

But the upgrade kits aren't bound at all and can be bought, sold, and traded.

Also the upgrade system is independent of the crafting system entirely so no worries there.

You only need crafting for the upgrade kits, and if push comes to shove you can buy them from someone else.