test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online - Star Trek IP?

Comments

• jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a fed. player i don't like 3 of the new t6 ships. The Guardian at lease looks like it belongs. And i did mention the game Star Trek Armada's ships only because most of them also look like they are from Trek. And since Crypitic has already started changing the ships,i could only hope they would make Fed ships look like Fed.ships. That's all i really want. Just my feelings on the subject.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    So come on Cryptic, why DO we have dinosaurs with lasers?
    for the same reason that tos had sex-bot robots, intelligent rocks, salt vampires, and so on. and i can give you just as many examples from tng, ds9, and voyager, like the voth, themselves, as dinosaurs that left the earth 65 million years ago. hell, q is just myxlplyx from the superman comics: trickster space imp with unlimited magical powers.

i sometimes think trek fans must have only watched about half the episodes made, and if anything that was just too corny they turned off the episode and went and watched saved by the bell instead.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    and voyager, like the voth, themselves, as dinosaurs that left the earth 65 million years ago.
    i sometimes think trek fans must have only watched about half the episodes made, and if anything that was just too corny they turned off the episode and went and watched saved by the bell instead.

I watch all the episodes, even the corny ones, but I DO like a little bit of logic with my cornflakes.

The Voth evolved into sentient intelligent bipedal (opposeable thumb?) creatures, who hated mamals (I kept up you see??)

What I dont understand is how they devolved back so quickly into a T'rex with lasers.

I forgot to mention, I like to have a moan.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think you'll find the answer to "Why are there dinosaurs with laser beams" is "Because it's awesome". I mean, who wouldn't want to fight a T-Rex that shoots laser beams?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Voth evolved into sentient intelligent bipedal (opposeable thumb?) creatures, who hated mamals (I kept up you see??)
    and what makes you think they didn't have dino-dogs when they left earth just like humans have mammalian dogs? and what makes you think they couldn't weaponize these dogs just like humans train dolphins to carry mines to enemy ships?

it's really not any dumber then hologram doctors that get to be sentient or vulcans who forget they have 2 sets of eyelids.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    and what makes you think they didn't have dino-dogs when they left earth just like humans have mammalian dogs? and what makes you think they couldn't weaponize these dogs just like humans train dolphins to carry mines to enemy ships?

it's really not any dumber then hologram doctors that get to be sentient or vulcans who forget they have 2 sets of eyelids.

I would go with using elephants since they are closer in size to dinosaurs, but dinosaurs with lasers make more sense than a lot of stuff in STO like how we get access to Lockbox ships.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So basicly there was no statement and people are reading into things again?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    So basicly there was no statement and people are reading into things again?

Is this an internet forum?
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is this an internet forum?

all signs point to yes
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    First of all, they aren't dinosaurs. They're genetically-engineered beasts of burden who greatly resemble an outdated perception of our understanding of dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs had feathers. The Voth's creatures do not.

They're used as pack animals, war animals, and from an evolutionary standpoint, a dinosaur's bite and claws would be plenty to end a regular sentient person's life.

Strap some lasers onto what is already an apex predator, genetically modify it to be docile and obedient to its masters, and let it loose.

None of the creatures names were ever actually species of dinosaur. They resemble dinosaur names, but it's purely intentional -- they aren't dinosaurs.

It's like calling Data a human. Just because he was built to resemble a human to great effect, doesn't make Data human. He's an android.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, if I get this right, the OP would rather have us use ugly kitbash ships that were designed solely to be filler ships during wolf 359 or the dominion war than actual cryptic designed ships?

I don't see what's wrong with introducing new ship designs. No one criticized Cryptic for designing the Dhelan or Ha'apax warbirds, since they aren't technically "canon" romulan designs. What about the Atrox, the Orion and Nausicaan ships not featured in canon? You can also go and say Gorn ships aren't canon because they didn't appear onscreen until the TOS Remastered episode that the gorn appeared in.

CBS approves any ship designs that go into the game, whether it's canon or something that is new. No one is going to force you to fly the cryptic designed Tier 6 ships.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, if I get this right, the OP would rather have us use ugly kitbash ships that were designed solely to be filler ships during wolf 359 or the dominion war than actual cryptic designed ships?

I don't see what's wrong with introducing new ship designs. No one criticized Cryptic for designing the Dhelan or Ha'apax warbirds, since they aren't technically "canon" romulan designs. What about the Atrox, the Orion and Nausicaan ships not featured in canon? You can also go and say Gorn ships aren't canon because they didn't appear onscreen until the TOS Remastered episode that the gorn appeared in.

CBS approves any ship designs that go into the game, whether it's canon or something that is new. No one is going to force you to fly the cryptic designed Tier 6 ships.

Every ship has its fans.

Besides, there are some fairly well known (and popular in some circles) ship configurations that we don't have in game yet; some of those Wolf 359 kitbashes represent them.
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Every ship has its fans.

Except Neelix's Talaxian Freighter.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    all signs point to yes

There's your answer!

:D

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I sort of agree with the op in that I'm not particularly fond of cryptics ship designs. I play this game to fly the ships I saw on the tv series and movies. With that said I understand that it's only my opinion and others, minority or not, enjoy the new designs. As others have said they are indeed running out of canon ship designs. Obviously this is the cash cow for this game so they need to keep making them. My hope is that they will somehow keep my old favorites on par with their new releases via upgrade or re-release...tho I'm not holding my breath.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This thread belongs in the FCT....

It's been discussed and More than rejected, because it's a rumor with no basis...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1162461

4'th quote...

Just because some said they wont be making more, dosen't make it true.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is anyone else concerned about the statement that Cryptic will not be using any further star trek I.P ships for the future expansion of the game?

I for one play star trek online for the I.P, and do not care one iota for cryptics 'efforts' at replicating the star trek classic ship designs.

If they are using the star trek name, logo, franchise and all that it entails, I would be very disapointed if they tried to shoehorn us into using the TRIBBLE aesthetics they have dreamed up as reinterpretations of classic trek ships for T6 and onwards.

And whilst I respect cryptic for creating the game and its contents, I feel it has to be said their ship design leaves ALOT to be desired - it is arrogance at its best, to think they have equaled (or superseded) the classic ship designs of Star Trek.

If you have to nickle and dime me, ok, do it, I will pay because I love star trek.

I draw the line at the imagination of a random cryptic/PWE artist who thinks they know better than the classically trained artist/sculptures who crafted many of the star trek ships.

I know I sound like a pompous TRIBBLE, and I accept it, I am not passionate about most things, but ship design, (particularly STAR TREK ship design, holds a big place in my heart).

if the team is going only fantasy ship route, then these ships should at least have some aesthetically pleasing designs to them, the federation prefer smooth curved lines and straight lines, look at any typical federation ship, even the steamie, all of it should be added to at least a few federation ship designs the team comes up with, quite recently there has been an influx of hideous ship looks prompting sharp ends and edges on designs.

the klingons should have a sort of smooth curved lines on the bridge and neck sections or in some locations, typically however given that klingon ships are designed tightly around the ship systems instead of for the crews sake, they just get a shelf to sleep on. more often then not the klingon designs have been more successful than expected.

the romulan designs, a few of these have been hit and miss but if canon designs have shown anything that they also run smooth corved lines, and unlike the federation there is the chance to have some sharp edges.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well that's gonna be a bit of a problem when you're playing in the 24th century and those ships are considered museum pieces.

Do you honestly expect a Model T to keep up with the Lamborghini in this day and age?
    No one seems to really care. People want a Star Trek theme park and play whatever ship they like. Some want their ship to be their favorite from the Star Trek canon, even if it should be a museum piece, and they still want to play it at endgame and not feel gimped.

You either accept that as game company, or end up making a poor business. It's probably one of the costs you have to pay if you use an established IP with a rich timeline, instead of making your own. On the plus side, you got a ton of people willing to give you money out of the box, and you have a lot of inspiration material.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    EA did exactly this with C&C tfd.
    the patch you can d/l from teh EA site to get the c&c tfd game to work is not only a fan made patch, but a bundle of fan made patches including a fan made no-dvd crack to bypass the copy protection.

This isn't EA. This isn't C&C. Not all intellectual properties, licensors and licensees are created equal.

It's really a legal arena. When someone said, "Because lawyers." they're correct. That's really all it comes down to.

Can you imagine a world without lawyers?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • toofdkaytoofdkay Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A world without lawyers would be a wonderful place indeed, we have far too many leeches already.

We know STO stopped being Star Trek along time ago, just so long as the ship designers are sympathetic to the ST ship design and they probably wont be, I don't see a problem. They know that most of you see shiny @.@ and that's it your money is their's.

I think iconians has a unique insight into the offices of PWE/Cryptic, which leads me to believe he has some connection there :D
    edited September 2014
    No one seems to really care. People want a Star Trek theme park and play whatever ship they like. Some want their ship to be their favorite from the Star Trek canon, even if it should be a museum piece, and they still want to play it at endgame and not feel gimped.

You either accept that as game company, or end up making a poor business. It's probably one of the costs you have to pay if you use an established IP with a rich timeline, instead of making your own. On the plus side, you got a ton of people willing to give you money out of the box, and you have a lot of inspiration material.

If they intended to you to use those old ships all the time, they would not have set it in the 24th century.

As a consumer, sometimes you have to learn that you will not always get what you want, especially when it comes to IPs that are not yours to command. Cryptic wants to forge ahead with original content and CBS gives them the okay, they're gonna go forward with it. It's not "a poor business", it's a smart move to try to move the IP forward rather than it remain stagnant. Hell, everyone and their Tribble is begging for a new Trek show, and clearly trying to reinvent the original series didn't really go well. So since the past clearly can't be brought back, time to forge ahead with the new. Iconian threats, Klingon allies and new ships for everyone.

If you can't handle that, maybe you'd be better off playing Star Wars, where technology and culture have grinded to a halt for 3000 years.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1) There are very few IP ships left. the only ones they have not added are the ones you saw on screen, kitbashed together and then blown up for a one second sweep at wolf 359. i know some people want them, some dont. there is perhaps 5 or 6 of them and cryptic decided they dont think they would gather much interest outside of some very hardcore players. you may see one or two appear every now and then but even if they added them all, they would still run out in six months and be in the same situation.

2) current IP ships are not being forgotten. you can upgrade them, and while there is some debate as to 5u vs tier 6, the difference is minimal in gameplay terms. these ships are not going to become useless, people are not going to stop flying them.

3) things change. its like saying tng, ds9 and voy should only use tos ships. this is the current version of star trek. it may not be canon but its close enough that ship designs are going to move forward whether people like it or not. otherwise it just stagnates.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not concerned for the game's safety at all.

I think their model with cash sinks is a winning formula that only requires that you sell - something -

No matter how ugly or fake it is, someone is going to front 300$ in keys to get it count on that.

On a personal note between me and myself, yeah I am worried. Because now not only is the lore fake and the gameplay is fake but the ships are too.

There isn't a whole lot of star trek left minus a handful of sound effects
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In fairness, they are running out of cannon ships which of course means they are forced into creating new ones. That is where my objections arise though - they are generally terrible at designing new Federation ships. The T6 ones are a total joke and lack any true Trek style or identity. It is a worrying omen of the future if this is where we're headed.

If they got a designer who understands fully the whole Federation look I'd be cool with it. They can design new models away to their hearts content.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

On a personal note between me and myself, yeah I am worried. Because now not only is the lore fake and the gameplay is fake but the ships are too.

There isn't a whole lot of star trek left minus a handful of sound effects

I agree.

If more and more of these kinds of ships flood into the game, I wonder how much longer it'll be before you even feel you're in a Star Trek game anymore. And if you totally rob the game of its IP identity, will people stick around?

We all know this isn't the greatest MMO on the market but the IP is what keeps us all here.
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I agree.

If more and more of these kinds of ships flood into the game, I wonder how much longer it'll be before you even feel you're in a Star Trek game anymore. And if you totally rob the game of its IP identity, will people stick around?

We all know this isn't the greatest MMO on the market but the IP is what keeps us all here.

I think the better question is: Who are you to decide what is and is not "star trek"?

That has been bounced about the thread and still no one has yet to answer. Do you work for CBS? Are you one of the ship designers from the original series? Are you the reincarnation of Mr. Roddenberry, come back from the dead to claim his franchise?

Since there is a good chance you answered no to those questions, it's pretty safe to assume your credentials as a ship builder are as legit as my credentials as a brain surgeon. Just because I play Surgeon Simulator doesn't make me the authority on the subject. Just because you play STO does not make you an authority on the universe.

So, since neither one of us has any power, how about we just play the game and keep our visions of Star Trek on Fanfiction.net, where they belong?

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I am also thinking about other stuff that kills the trek feeling in co-junction with fake ships.

Romulan faction controversy, killing exploration and so on makes the ship problem bigger because to me it was the last star trek element to the game.

We don't have a huge bucket of features that make it star trek to begin with.

And running out of canon ship yeah but that's the situation they put themselves in I don't accept that as an apology that it "just happened" last week and no one has any responsibility in that.

They've known it was going to happen for - years - and what they decided and planned was, it would be cheaper and more convenient for THEM to ram fake ships down our throats.

This way they don't have to pay anyone or be held accountable because the budget version of professionalism, authenticity and all that stuff.

I take offence to that, you bring your date to McDs too?

Yes people should fly a star trek ship playing star trek how are we even debating this.

/edit.

Probably from their perspective life would be a lot easier if they don't have to follow any official canon at all such as with the new fake borg race.

To them they probably even loving the idea of finally being able to come up with everything on their own
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they intended to you to use those old ships all the time, they would not have set it in the 24th century.
    You mean 25th century?

It doesn't really matter what they originally intended. The paying customer has said what they wanted, that's why we got C-Store Retrofits and Fleet Retrofits of almost all lower tier ships.

As a consumer, sometimes you have to learn that you will not always get what you want,
    Sure, but I won't pay for stuff I don't want. Cryptic has decided already that they like customers paying them, and they have given people their old ships as endgame ships already, and people gladly paid for it.
    If Cryptic is now suggesting that these ships will no longer be as good as newer ships, than they will have to face the repercussions.
    If you can't handle that, maybe you'd be better off playing Star Wars, where technology and culture have grinded to a halt for 3000 years.
    But Star Wars is Star Wars, not Star Trek. Star Wars still won't let me fly a Defiant Class Escort or shoot phasers.

And the lore for something like the Galaxy Class states that it was designed for a 100 year life-span with regular refits or retrofits to keep it up-to-date. That should provide just enough veneer to justify the ability of Starfleet, KDF or Romulan Empire to keep older ships endgame material.

Of course, all that doesn'T change the problem that we're at the end of the line in regards to canon ships. Only very obscure ships are still missing, many who we've never seen the full model of, and that are often very ugly kitbashes that are no worse than what Cryptic could come up with. So we actually have a two-fold problem -
    1) A new tier that may leave the already implemented canon ships behind
    2) The lack of new canon ships to implement.

Personally, I prefer to kitbash my ships with parts from different variants and actually want some new ships (but I am ambivalent about the latest batch) to fly. In my mind, my Captain is the star of a new show, so to speak, and thus he or she also needs a new ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited September 2014
    Personally I don't think the ship designs matter so much, we were often introduced to new designs during the shows and films, what's important is that Cryptic stay true to the Star Trek ideals, for example I see little reference to the Prime Directive in any of their stories, nowadays they just go in guns blazing and to hell with the consequences.

Because in the shows, films and novels, the Prime Directive is thrown out and the heroes go in guns blazing and to hell with the consequences.

So, yeah, Cryptic holds that ideal to a T.

Edit:

What following the Prime Directive is actually for.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    They never had to pay anyone for any ship, canon or not.

I don't know what you are talking about exactly.

What I was commenting on was what al rivera had said (which I didn't actually say in the post).

He said they didn't want to be bothered by paying a designer royalities and the annoyance of bureaucracy, so they went with their own ships it being easier and cheaper.

My take on that is, it's taking your date to McDs. It's cheap, pityful and all that. I take offence to it.

Of course we deserve official star trek designs from official designers and anyone buying t6 is a straight up arnold benedict to star trek.