test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online - Star Trek IP?

equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
Is anyone else concerned about the statement that Cryptic will not be using any further star trek I.P ships for the future expansion of the game?

I for one play star trek online for the I.P, and do not care one iota for cryptics 'efforts' at replicating the star trek classic ship designs.

If they are using the star trek name, logo, franchise and all that it entails, I would be very disapointed if they tried to shoehorn us into using the TRIBBLE aesthetics they have dreamed up as reinterpretations of classic trek ships for T6 and onwards.

And whilst I respect cryptic for creating the game and its contents, I feel it has to be said their ship design leaves ALOT to be desired - it is arrogance at its best, to think they have equaled (or superseded) the classic ship designs of Star Trek.

If you have to nickle and dime me, ok, do it, I will pay because I love star trek.

I draw the line at the imagination of a random cryptic/PWE artist who thinks they know better than the classically trained artist/sculptures who crafted many of the star trek ships.

I know I sound like a pompous TRIBBLE, and I accept it, I am not passionate about most things, but ship design, (particularly STAR TREK ship design, holds a big place in my heart).
Post edited by equinox976 on

Comments

• Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned about the statement that Cryptic will not be using any further star trek I.P ships for the future expansion of the game?

The reason is simple:

Please, show me what TV shows and movies are set in STO's timeline, or anywhere near it for that matter.

I'll wait.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nope. Not concerned at all. Things change. It's the only constant in the universe.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    The reason is simple:

Please, show me what TV shows and movies are set in STO's timeline, or anywhere near it for that matter.

I'll wait.

Dont really know what you mean.

You may as well ask me what TV shows and movies are set in the Babylon 5 era, or Battlestar Galaxtica era.

Are you saying all future designs should be left up to a random artist who works for a company who has no say or direction of the given franchise?

Please clarify.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Nope. Not concerned at all. Things change. It's the only constant in the universe.

I dont mind change.

But if I am stuck with the output of a substandard artist to express the ship designs of a franchise I love (especially when I KNOW it could be improved)

Then, yes, I dislike THAT kind of change.

Its called being, short changed.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    The reason is simple:

I'll wait.

Why is it that despite being set across several different time frames and being made by several different studios ships like the Phoenix, ToS Enterprise, TMP Enterprise, Bakula Enterprise, TNG, Voy, DS9 and JJ Trek have similar features like say nacelles and the saucer section? Are they required by contract to have ships that look that way?
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is why i think alot of people playing this game are not true Star Trek fans. They are just here for the space combat with ships. A real fan would be bothered by this. The replies to this are aweful to me and proves what i've been feeling. The IP will truely be dead when this happens.
  • Options
    chezmazterchezmazter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As other users said, ship designs change. As much as I like canon ships, this isn't exactly canon Star Trek. I, for one, kind of like their designs. Every ship has it's beauty, but only it's true captain will see it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    A true fan wouldn't care what happens in a non-canon spinoff game set in the future beyond any time period any canon material is set in.

This is just sad man. Would any star wars fan care if years into the future Jedi ditched light sabers for blasters.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A true fan wouldn't care what happens in a non-canon spinoff game set in the future beyond any time period any canon material is set in.

See that's the thing with games based off of popular IPs. There are certain features that people are familiar with from the shows and movies that get carried over into the games. Those features that people are familiar with is what makes people feel like they are playing a Star Trek game. If the ships in STO look like ships from Babylon 5, STO races that look like something out of Star Wars and STO race names are something out of World of ******** can the game really still be called Star Trek Online?

SWTOR despite being set 3000 years in the past of the movie timeline still has things like Lightsabers, Blasters, Bounty Hunters and Jedi and Sith who remind you every 5 seconds in their dialogue that they are in fact...Jedi and Sith. They can make up whatever excuse they want to to include or exclude the Lightsaber from SWTOR. But if it's a bunch of guys in white robes and black robes hacking away at each other with metal greatswords would it feel like a Star Wars game?

For some people it's enough if the names are the same. Ohh this race is called a Vulcan i'm playin Star Trek!!! but other people want the looks and the sounds of the Star Trek they are familiar with too.
  • Options
    nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Aren't we running out of ships to add? :confused:
    LEmWhkGA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    uh, they have basically run out of canon ships to add.

the problem seems that they seem to be excluding the iconic designs from the t6 lineup,

Yes, that is the problem.

I have no problem with them putting a million T6 c-store/lobi store/lockbox ships up.

They can charge people as much as they like for these 'new' designs.

Its called Star Trek Online.

It is not called 'Fly Cryptics New Interpretations Of Star Trek Ships Online'.

They are shifting the fundamental balance of the game away from I.P ships being the mainstay of the game, to cryptic designed ships being the mainstay of the game.

This is the point the game ceases to be a Star Trek game franchise based upon classic Star Trek design, and switches to being a Cryptic/PWE based design.

At that point there ceases to be a point in paying for a 'Star Trek' game.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    This is why i think alot of people playing this game are not true Star Trek fans. They are just here for the space combat with ships. A real fan would be bothered by this. The replies to this are aweful to me and proves what i've been feeling. The IP will truely be dead when this happens.

So uh...well...

So everybody but the TOS fans that refused to watch anything after TOS are not fans?
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Nope. We got the Constellation. The only canon designs we're missing is the Dauntless (supposedly in the pipe along with some other Delta Quadrant content), and some of the designs seen as a grainy blip in the Battle of Wolf 359. The big one that sticks out is the Norway.

It's time to face facts, Cryptic is nearing the end of the line when it comes to canon ships being put into STO. 95% of them are already there.
    I for one play star trek online for the I.P, and do not care one iota for cryptics 'efforts' at replicating the star trek classic ship designs.

That's fine. I usually fly canon ships too. I do use the Odyssey quite a bit, and some of the Orion ships on my KDF character, along with the Vo'Quv. But other than that, most of my choice in ship design is canon.
    If they are using the star trek name, logo, franchise and all that it entails, I would be very disapointed if they tried to shoehorn us into using the TRIBBLE aesthetics they have dreamed up as reinterpretations of classic trek ships for T6 and onwards.

CBS Studios says those reinterpretations count as Star Trek. Intellectual Property holder says it's cool, Cryptic does it.
    And whilst I respect cryptic for creating the game and its contents, I feel it has to be said their ship design leaves ALOT to be desired - it is arrogance at its best, to thing they have equaled (or superseded) the classic ship designs of Star Trek.

I'll disagree. At first I felt they were knocking things into the outfield trying to see what stuck and what didn't. They had a breakthrough when it came to the Odyssey-class. The Odyssey-class design (which isn't a Cryptic design), set the stage for the aesthetics of 'updated' ship designs we are already familiar with.

Personally, I think the 2409-era ship designs by Cryptic are a lot better, a lot more uniform (as compared to wildly different designs like the Imperial-class and the Maelstrom-class), and capture the Star Trek aesthetic while affirming this isn't your father's Star Trek timeline.
    If you have to nickle and dime me, ok, do it, I will pay because I love star trek.

You and me both.
    I draw the line at the imagination of a random cryptic/PWE artist who thinks they know better than the classically trained artist/sculptures who crafted many of the star trek ships.

I don't think they know better, and it isn't just one ship artist. There are several. And from what I understand they don't always agree with each other, but ships must be created. Ships are the biggest draw to STO.

To not have continual ship design is insane.
    I know I sound like a pompous TRIBBLE, and I accept it, I am not passionate about most things, but ship design, (particularly STAR TREK ship design, holds a big place in my heart).

Nothing wrong with that. Some people like the aesthetics Cryptic comes up with, some do not.
    This is why i think alot of people playing this game are not true Star Trek fans.

I'll just leave this here.
    They are just here for the space combat with ships. A real fan would be bothered by this. The replies to this are aweful to me and proves what i've been feeling. The IP will truely be dead when this happens.

Uh huh.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    See that's the thing with games based off of popular IPs. There are certain features that people are familiar with from the shows and movies that get carried over into the games. Those features that people are familiar with is what makes people feel like they are playing a Star Trek game. If the ships in STO look like ships from Babylon 5, STO races that look like something out of Star Wars and STO race names are something out of World of ******** can the game really still be called Star Trek Online?

SWTOR despite being set 3000 years in the past of the movie timeline still has things like Lightsabers, Blasters, Bounty Hunters and Jedi and Sith who remind you every 5 seconds in their dialogue that they are in fact...Jedi and Sith. They can make up whatever excuse they want to to include or exclude the Lightsaber from SWTOR. But if it's a bunch of guys in white robes and black robes hacking away at each other with metal greatswords would it feel like a Star Wars game?

For some people it's enough if the names are the same. Ohh this race is called a Vulcan i'm playin Star Trek!!! but other people want the looks and the sounds of the Star Trek they are familiar with too.

Thank you so much :))
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    nyasaya wrote: »
    Aren't we running out of ships to add? :confused:

What about ships from other star Trek games like Armada Would love to see the megellan class ship?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,195 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    We're running out of canon ships to put into the game.
    The only ones left are the wreck ships from Wolf 359 and the kitbashes from DS9.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    What about ships from other star Trek games like Armada Would love to see the megellan class ship?

That's a definite 'No'. They aren't allowed to take designs from other Star Trek games.

And wait a second... didn't you JUST make the argument about TRUE Star Trek?

How the hell can you call the ship designs in other Star Trek games as part of TRUE Star Trek when they aren't in the shows or movies!? :confused:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    That's a definite 'No'. They aren't allowed to take designs from other Star Trek games.

Thats to bad then. The Megellan class is a beautiful ship.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Nope. We got the Constellation. The only canon designs we're missing is the Dauntless (supposedly in the pipe along with some other Delta Quadrant content), and some of the designs seen as a grainy blip in the Battle of Wolf 359. The big one that sticks out is the Norway.

That's all fine with me, as long as we can use these (and current classic ships at T6)

That is my main concern.

We could have all the classic trek ships in the world, but if we cant use them at T6, and are forced to use 'cryptic designed' 'reinterpretations'.

Then, I am bothered.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Something else to keep in mind is that although the Intel ships are "out there" in regard to how Trek ships normally look, they're also doing the Guardian and have said there will be additional ships coming that follow "iconic" design concepts. Just a case that the Intel ships were not going to look that way.

So it's not a case that the game is going completely StarTRON or the like...

But has been mentioned - if there was Canon Trek for the time period or even for the past 20-30 years...they'd have more Canon ships they could do.

Everybody's going to want what they want - not everybody is going to get what they want because what some want conflicts with what some want, etc, etc, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    We could have all the classic trek ships in the world, but if we cant use them at T6, and are forced to use 'cryptic designed' 'reinterpretations'.

Then, I am bothered.

That is a valid form of criticism, and one that I share. But that has more to do with the explanation and mechanics of T5U and T6 ships, rather than Cryptic designs replacing canon designs.

Don't be mistaken though. If Cryptic puts the last 5% (numbers pulled out of my aft) of canon designs in the game, the only direction they can go is through in-house designs.

But I do agree that canon ships should always be viable and competitive at the end game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Cryptic is not going to go down that route. The legality issues of just getting the Vesta was time consuming and that is just one ship from the novels. Cryptic would have to go to the IP holder for those games and pay some fee to get them. It is just as likely to get the Vengeance from JJ Trek as it is to get the Magellan class ship. In other words, it is far easier for me to be struck by lightning and hit by a meteorite at the same time than getting these ships.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    they arent allowed to use races from other sci-fi franchises. my kdf still has 2 navi.

No. Your KDF has two Aliens that you've customized to resemble Navi.
    if they just happened to add inverted pylons, mission pods and 'roll-bars' for the assault cruiser, and other such options, thats hardly any different.

I do think those kinds of cosmetic options would be nice, I've asked for similar things before. I don't see it happening though, unless they come in the form of a brand new ship.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd like to see the quote/link to the quote that said they weren't using anymore iconic ships.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.