Options

Star Trek Online - Star Trek IP?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    So you are saying the vaule of Dr will be in the amount of different NPCs there are?

That's interesting, I can't say some people won't enjoy the amount of npcs but does it make up for 8 free ships, free outfits etc.

Perhaps not the "value" but certainly the cost, which is what will determine how much gets added. It's certainly not going to be less than Legacy, but Rising may not appear to offer as much at first glance.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So you are saying the vaule of Dr will be in the amount of different NPCs there are?

That's interesting, I can't say some people won't enjoy the amount of npcs but does it make up for 8 free ships, free outfits etc.

If you really want an apple, an orange won't do, but if you're just hungry, either is good.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

as was pointed out many times above most players didn't get 8 free ships. only the rommys got 8 free ships. my andorian didn't get free ships.

what are rommy players, like 20% of the players in the game? how can you compare 20% getting some free stuff with 100% getting new content and all the rest?

isn't the 3rd expansion supposed to be another faction? the cardassians? if that's true then you're going to see more free ships, but they'll only be for a small percent of the players, not for everyone.

i'd rather have free stuff for everyone then free stuff for 1 in 5 players.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I didn't reply to that because I felt it was too weak to even consider.

The value of the work the developers did and what is given away for free isn't relative to you logging in or not.

The part about there might being more story, more lore and higher detailed npcs in exchange for free ships okay I think that's valid.
    Probably a lot of people wanting content over ships and would love immersion and lore especially if they liked voyager as a tv-show.
    Probably you could bring up voice acting under this category, that they simply put their efforts elsewhere I guess that's a completely valid point.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I didn't reply to that because I felt it was too weak to even consider.

The value of the work the developers did and what is given away for free isn't relative to you logging in or not.
    what a stupid thing to say. of course it's relative. if your players aren't using the content then it's a wasted effort. thousands of hours went into making content for 1 in 5 players. how much more would the game have benefited if those thousands of hours had gone into making content for all the players instead? that's what dr is, thousands of hours of work for all the players.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    5000 zen is 5000 zen, 60 hours of developer work is 60 hours of developer work.

Won't matter if you log in or not.
    You can get a transgender operation, move to mars, join a relgious cult, uninstall the game or win the nobel prize, it makes zero difference what you do.

You can live and you can die those numbers are the same so yeah I chalked it up to "desperate"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    and 100,000 players happy is the potential for more sales then 20,000 players happy. the more people you make happy the more money you make for the same amount of work you put into a project.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The comparison is the value or LoR vs the value of Dr...

Now you start talking about strategic intended consumer group or whatever is something completely different.

The amount of free ships, number of animations, number of hours of work, number of zen etc. that LoR was worth is not relative to you playing the game or anyone else playing the game.

The server could be empty and they still put in x number of animations, x number of man hours etc etc.

And I feel in comparison look at the 8 free ships with animations given away for free, vs paying 10$ for passives with no animations in Dr, the new expansion is looking weak.

Ship traits, no animations - copy-paste stats.
    Ship upgrade, no animations - copy-paste stats.
    Captain leveling abilities, no animations copy-paste stats.

But the guy saying they probably put a lot of work into NPCs, NPC ships and voice acting and what not instead has a point.

It's probably less about ships to an extent even though it's being launched under the parole of t6 ships...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The comparison is the value or LoR vs the value of Dr...
    at the end of the day these things are made to make money. the value of the lor pack is that it benefitted 1 in 5 people. the value of dr is that it benefits 5 in 5. from a financial standpoint there's no comparison. no one cares about the free ships in the lor pack because you outlevels them every 3 hours; and you probably ended up buying a c-store version for t5 anyway.
  • Options
    hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like this thread. I like to watch canon-looking ships battle other canon looking ships in pve and pvp. That is why I usually use canon looking ships. I think the Cryptic ship designers do an excellent job on the design/look of new ship models (I'm not an apoligist or being ubsequious, it's just an opinion) and I have often wondered why the Star Trek franchise hasn't taken some of the Cryptic designs for inclusion in some of their future movies, series, books ( I've always liked those "technical manual" style Star Trek books) etc. It seems to me that Cryptic designers might be doing some of the Star Trek franchise's work for them and I often wonder if the franchise will capitilize (plagarize/take intellectual property rights ) over some of STO's designs and ideas.

What matters most in STO is not so much the outward appearance of the ships but the INTERNAL workings of a ship; the BOFF, doff, weapons and console layouts. I would be much more likely to pay for an old design with a universal commander and lt. commander boff seating arrangment on the bridge than for a new sleek looking ship with a "stndard" boff and weapon layout. (As long as either layout isn't insane, like 20 console and 10 weapon slots, as an example)
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The IP starships have all made it into the game (with a few minor exceptions)... aside from the Norway Class and the New Orleans Class, I can't think of any I'd miss.

I'm fine with all new ships going forward, just so long as they're not as poochie as these new Intel ships. The other original ships that Cryptic has designed have been fine.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned about the statement that Cryptic will not be using any further star trek I.P ships for the future expansion of the game?

I for one play star trek online for the I.P, and do not care one iota for cryptics 'efforts' at replicating the star trek classic ship designs.

If they are using the star trek name, logo, franchise and all that it entails, I would be very disapointed if they tried to shoehorn us into using the TRIBBLE aesthetics they have dreamed up as reinterpretations of classic trek ships for T6 and onwards.

And whilst I respect cryptic for creating the game and its contents, I feel it has to be said their ship design leaves ALOT to be desired - it is arrogance at its best, to think they have equaled (or superseded) the classic ship designs of Star Trek.

If you have to nickle and dime me, ok, do it, I will pay because I love star trek.

I draw the line at the imagination of a random cryptic/PWE artist who thinks they know better than the classically trained artist/sculptures who crafted many of the star trek ships.

I know I sound like a pompous TRIBBLE, and I accept it, I am not passionate about most things, but ship design, (particularly STAR TREK ship design, holds a big place in my heart).

Considering they've done the majority of the major ship classes (baring a few of the egregious 'kit bashes used for long shots on the TV screen here and there during DS9's dominion war seasons); what would you suggest they do for newer 25th century ships?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is there any particular reason they can't simply design new ships to fit other established silhouettes?

Take the Avenger for example. If the pylons had joined the hull in a different place, there could have been room for a New Orleans costume for it.

A lot of people seem to feel that it's an either/or thing; but it isn't. Cryptic could easily fit in remaining ships, while still making brand new ones. So what if one costume is an ugly kitbash? Some people will like it all the more; and it's not going to put anyone else off so long as there are alternatives. If there were a New Orleans skin for it, the Avenger wouldn't have sold any less; and might have sold a bit more.

I've seen several good looking fan made ships in the Freedom and Challenger configurations, and can easily imagine good looking Niagara variants; just because the original kitbashes themselves aren't great looking in most people's eyes, doesn't mean the configurations they represent are unworthy of inclusion.
  • Options
    bghostbghost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    am i the only one who saw the guardian cruiser? that ship looks star trek as ****. why isn't anyone talking about that ship.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bghost wrote: »
    am i the only one who saw the guardian cruiser? that ship looks star trek as ****. why isn't anyone talking about that ship.

Because it doesn't fit the 'Doooom everything is gonna be Tron-like...the game is failing the IP" talking points.

nor the comments from debs saying
    The T6 Intell ships will have classic skins
    more T6 ships are coming that resemble star trek designs (like the guardian)
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Question on that. Why not? I would be thrilled if a concept ship I came up with was rendered in STO and used. I would have a happy smile every time I saw it at ESD. And being unsolicited and given to them, not expect any fees or the like. So what is the issue?

because for every fan who would be thrilled there is someone else who would sue for copyright violation.
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote:
    Every ship has its fans.
    Except Neelix's Talaxian Freighter.

The Baxial is one of my favourite ships! I wish we had seen more of her in VOY. I hope to see it added to the game, perhaps as a lobi shuttle.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bghost wrote: »

People are talking about the Guardian. There's a thread about it in the Shipyard section. Thing is though, right now we've just seen concept art; and we know from past experience that this only tells us so much. We really need to see the finished model before we can properly discuss how the Guardian looks.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    because for every fan who would be thrilled there is someone else who would sue for copyright violation.

So get permission in writing from the creator. No biggie.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    So get permission in writing from the creator. No biggie.
    like someone said back in the thread, just because someone says they created it doesn't mean they did. there was even a guy who tried to slip someone else's ship into the enterprise f content. they can't police everyone or be expected to know all the thousands of ships people have posted to the web. and you don't need to be in the wrong to get sued. if i think the ship you created looks too much like my ship i can sue you for infringement. you and cryptic can spend thousands on a lawyer proving your right, and that means you still lost.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Because it doesn't fit the 'Doooom everything is gonna be Tron-like...the game is failing the IP" talking points.

nor the comments from debs saying
    The T6 Intell ships will have classic skins
    more T6 ships are coming that resemble star trek designs (like the guardian)

You mean the ship that has nothing more then concept art right now? You mean the ship that at most is nothing more then a Ambassador Class Reskin?

Why would anyone talk about it. It doesnt prove or disprove anything. Its 1 of 4 Fed ships.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You mean the ship that has nothing more then concept art right now? You mean the ship that at most is nothing more then a Ambassador Class Reskin?

Why would anyone talk about it. It doesnt prove or disprove anything. Its 1 of 4 Fed ships.
    his point seemed clear to me. the guardian looks like a trek ship, so the people who claim to hate how all the t6 ships look, just pretend it doesn't exist. same with the rommy and klink ships. they look trek too so no one talks about them either when complaining about how cryptic can't make ships.

it's easier to whine like a baby then accept that no one's supposed to like everything. how dare cryptic make a ship i don't like? don't they know i'm super special. my momma told me so. that means they should only make ships i like. TRIBBLE anyone else's opinion.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Someone offered free work and this was Taco's response.

Like it or not, it's how things are done within the society we live in. Payment is our way of making sure you are getting something out of the deal. And in this case, in the case of a job, payment is accompanied by the contract you sign saying you'll follow the rules. Sure, you could eliminate the payment portion of that, but you'd still have to sign the contract.

And the bottom line is, we, as a society, are so ingrained with monetary transactions, that we get suspicious of someone offering to do things for free. It's fine when it's solicited. When I ask someone to do something for free, and they do it, that's great. But when it's unsolicited, when someone we don't know, just pops up out of the woodwork and offers to do a bunch of work for free, we don't trust that person.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Someone offered free work and this was Taco's response.

Like it or not, it's how things are done within the society we live in. Payment is our way of making sure you are getting something out of the deal. And in this case, in the case of a job, payment is accompanied by the contract you sign saying you'll follow the rules. Sure, you could eliminate the payment portion of that, but you'd still have to sign the contract.

And the bottom line is, we, as a society, are so ingrained with monetary transactions, that we get suspicious of someone offering to do things for free. It's fine when it's solicited. When I ask someone to do something for free, and they do it, that's great. But when it's unsolicited, when someone we don't know, just pops up out of the woodwork and offers to do a bunch of work for free, we don't trust that person.

Probably because the last we accepted free work, THEY TRIED TO STEAL THE GORRAM ENTERPRISE!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    bank4556bank4556 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Pretty much. Cryptic caught someone submitting a ship design as his own that was stolen from another artist.

I really don't see the issue. Have you guys seen the Guardian class? It's pretty much a more updated version of the Galaxy class and it's T6. Cryptic has said themselves that these aren't the only ships they are releasing. So I'm pretty sure more ships that are close to the "classic" look will come. Plus these ships were designed this way to give it a Stealth look. You can always upgrade to T5U. Your ship will not have the all the T6 intel ships abilities but with the right gear you should be fine in PVP. To be honest after watching the Intel T6 ships in action on Twitch the other day, I believe a upgraded galaxy class or Oydesse could take them out in PVP. I bet the lobi ships will hold their on against them as well. All three of the new intel ships hulls are very thin and they need their T6 abilities in order to compete. Even Smirk said during the twitch chat that "t6 ships are NOT T5 killers and they can be beaten." I think everyone just needs to relax and see next round of ships DR will release. I'm upgrading two of my ships and also getting the Guardian class.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    as long as they keep my canon ship useable i will still play but they day they are no longer viable im done with the game for good i only came here because i could use and play in canon ships
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.