test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tier 5 Starship Upgrades

Comments

• admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When I opened the game launcher and saw there was a blog on ship upgrading, I was kind'a excited there for a moment.

Then I read that the upgrades will cost anywhere from $5 to $10. A.k.a. 500 to 1000 zen.

Like, seriously? It already took me 4 fleet modules of constant grind just to get my Fleet Avenger in the first place. Now it'll cost me another time of grinding just so my ship can go from "used to be an ultimate ship" to "almost a max tier ship". That's just sad really. :mad:

Well, at least I can upgrade my Chel Grett, Plesh Brek, and Dyson ships for free. And if I'm right, next winter will give us a T6 Sarr Theln... that'll be fun. :D

But still, Cryptic should really reconsider the cost range they've tossed out there... instead of 500-1000 ZEN, something like 100-500 ZEN would be A LOT more reasonable. :cool:
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Now thinking a bit more about it...

this TRIBBLE forces me to upgrade 31 T5 ships on all my chars
    assuming that upgrades cost 500 zen and each ship need to be upgraded individually then cryptic would force me to spend 15500 Zen now

Thank you cryptic for robbing me. And you even have the nerves not to give me something useful for my money.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Those of you who think paying to upgrade your stuff is reasonable... you are just as out of your minds as cryptic/PWE. Good luck to you! :rolleyes:
    signature.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While I am annoyed with the decision let me come back to a question nobody has yet answered once?

Riddle me this OP, what would be the point of tier 6 ships if you could upgrade tier 5 ships to their level?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited August 2014
    swatop wrote: »
    Now thinking a bit more about it...

this TRIBBLE forces me to upgrade 31 T5 ships on all my chars
    assuming that upgrades cost 500 zen and each ship need to be upgraded individually then cryptic would force me to spend 15500 Zen now

Thank you cryptic for robbing me. And you even have the nerves not to give me something useful for my money.

^What he said. I'm in the same boat as you.
    signature.png
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a MMO (F2P at that), did you really expect to use your old stuff with a level cap increase? You should be happy they gave you the option in the first place.

I doubt Guikd Wars or WoW would give you this option.

Gear becoming obsolete is the industry standard.
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    elvnswords wrote: »
    I have been sitting here thinking about this, I have a solution Cryptic...

You want us all to pay for ship upgrades, clearly that is your desire. I will do so, if you make it a true upgrade. T6 Ships. Period. No T5-U TRIBBLE. We get upgraded to be on par completely with the T6 ships that are coming out. The way I see it is that if we spend another $5 on a ship we have already spent $25-$30 dollars on, then we are spending in at least as much on that ship as you would have us spend on a T6 ship. They SHOULD be equal.

Lobi/Lockbox/Specialty Ships should auto upgrade as promised, but it too should be straight to T6, there should be no T-5U at all. It is a waste of our time and your time to promote it as such.

T-5U is a failure, either retrofit to T-6, or don't bother us with it at all...

Another +1 here.
    edited August 2014
    But if they give you streight T6 ships, then how would they sell other T6 ships?

They would have to have something unique or no-one would buy them.

They're running a business here. They need to make money somehow
  • caderenardcaderenard Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    But if they give you streight T6 ships, then how would they sell other T6 ships?

They would have to have something unique or no-one would buy them.

They're running a business here. They need to make money somehow

That is the point, have something new and unique.
    edited August 2014
    caderenard wrote: »
    That is the point, have something new and unique.

But they do, and you guys with your equal T6 none sense would make them un-unique.
    edited August 2014
    I've never liked the arguement "well they don't make you do it" or "you don't have to, if you don't want to".

In all actuality, yeah, they kind of do. Just take any ship you can captain at level forty, and run it through the Hive on elite. Or the undine missions on elite. Not easy is it? Even on normal, some of the T5 ships have issues with those missions (because instead of balancing and adding challenge, they just give health and damage). Sure, you don't need to buy that stuff. But it would be better if you did. Now imagine taking those same level forty ships and dropping them into some brand new level 60 elite content. How does that work out for you? Sure, there are plenty of Captains out there who can do it, but what about those who don't? What about the majority of players that want to have fun instead of min/maxing every aspect of their ship? That content is effectively no use to them anymore unless they buy the ships that give better performance at the new end game.

Plus if you haven't noticed, new ships will start being the new thing. No need for older style ships, since the new ships will be made to handle new content while old ships get left behind. The new ships will have console slots and new abilities that the old ships just don't get. Upgrading would make that easier. Spend a little, get a little. Having trouble? Spend a little to do a fleet upgrade. Did we make the new elite too hard? Pay for a ship that you've already paid for, and it will be a little better. Oh, worried that your fleet ship won't work as well against T6 ships? Spend a little for that as well. And god knows there are going to be fleet versions of your T6 ships, so there is a little more you have to spend, which still makes your fancy T5 ship that you've had to pay 3 times for obsolete again.

So yeah... you kinda have to spend the money. They design it that way. Even windows forces you to do it, because if you don't spend the money and keep up, you get left behind with no support. You either spend in small amounts here and there, or large amounts once in a while, but you still have to spend to keep up.

As for the constructive criticism, that's what my last bit was on. People on the forums toss out a lot of great and more respectable ways to have cryptic take their money. Cryptic doesn't listen very often. I've even posted threads about ideas to get people to spend more money. Yes, people tend to complain about this game in a negative way, and i can see why the devs get tired of hearing that, but at the same time, when they don't listen to all the great ideas, or even care to fix any of the major problems with their own product, people aren't going to have a lot of nice things to say.

Some times, Cryptic makes a move that's just so bad, so out right greedy or disrespectful, that the community NEEDS to toss constructive to the wind. They need to stand up and let the company know that they're not happy with this product that they're paying for. Nice words would only be overlooked, but a forum of raging A-holes with the same singular problem, yeah, just try to ignore that.

Realistically, Cryptic is providing a product. People should, but don't have to be nice about it as long as they're paying. Cryptic should, but doesn't have to listen to them either, but it will effect Cryptic worse than it will the people. If Cryptic wants to stop hearing people being so negative, they need to make the first moves to make things right, not just ignore the players and fans. If they start putting in the quality that Star Trek deserves, then people will gladly start saying great things to the devs.

People LOVE Star Trek. People want to immerse themselves in it. A Star Trek MMO is a great way to do that. The better quality the MMO, the more people will want to play and will be willing to pay to do so. Delivering sub par quality and making cheap jabs at someone's fandom will do nothing but make people bad mouth your game, your company, and give you an F rating at the better business bureau.

I've been here for a long time, so i've left plenty constructive feedback, but I've been playing Cryptic games a lot longer, and frankly, they've done nothing but earn everything they get from the forums, both good and bad. There's a lot of legitimately great people at Cryptic, and a lot of them are just as hardcore (if not more) into Trek, as we are, but as a Company, I fully believe that Cryptic constantly shoots itself in the foot. More so since PWE took over.

Needless to say, asking people to pay for an upgrade to a ship they already paid to upgrade, after paying to play the ship in the first place is a jerk move. Especially since they're still not going to be as good as the T6 ships and even those will get paid upgrades later on. If we don't voice out about it now, they will just keep doing it and laughing while people hand over more money just to keep a head of the powercreep and lack of balance or quality.

It's sad but you are completely right.
    signature.png
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Right now they haven't listed anything. They have said upgrades will have a cost for some ships and will be free for others but have neither confirmed exact costs or if different ships will cost different amounts. Waiting until we know exactly how much upgrades will cost is better than trying to suggest different, possibly higher, costs than what is anticipated.

I would still rather just have a direct cost and no item to upgrade as items in markets just get hit by money hoarders who drive the price up incessantly.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • gimley41gimley41 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I went through half the tread and I didn't see a proposition as the one i'm going to give in the next lines, but one thing I find really important to state is: PWE are using our desire to fly the very best of the very best ships in a disgusting way - first you pay for a c-store ship, then starbases are introduced, so you have to pay more to upgrade and now you want us to upgrade them again?! Ok, I would agree to do it if the ship is comparable to T6, which apparently won't be the case. Which leads us to the next thing: in my understanding we'll be forced to get a T6 ship and that is where the idea came to my mind:

Make it possible to turn old ships for the "tokens" needed to upgrade or % of their value in Zen - at least in that way people would be able to make something of their old and now obsolete stuff.

My 2 cents..
    edited August 2014
    :D
    It's a MMO (F2P at that), did you really expect to use your old stuff with a level cap increase? You should be happy they gave you the option in the first place.

I doubt Guikd Wars or WoW would give you this option.

Gear becoming obsolete is the industry standard.

Hi cryptic defender fan boy! I hope you feel good about yourself for that statement. :D And to answer your question, yes because I paid and ground for it like every other player here. I'm not paying or grinding anymore. I've done my bit for king and country.
    signature.png
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well yeah the whole system has some major flaws. It's kind of a cruel joke that regular T5s with the upgrade just have the stats as not upgraded fleet T5s. So to get a T5U with equal stats to a T6 you have to use a fleet ship for upgrading.

As for the fleet ha'apax, I spotted somethig interesting. The ha'apax ist not listed but something that is on the list is the Fleet Haakona Advanced Warbird which doesn't exist, it's called Fleet Ha'apax Advanced Warbird in game. Would be interesting if this is just an typing error or intentional.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a question regarding upgrading Fleet Ships that hopefully one of you intrepid forum folks can answer.

If I upgrade my Fleet Assault Cruiser, will that upgrade be for all my toons who own that magnificent ship, or will it be a single toon upgrade?

I understand that my Vesta, Andorian whatever, Dyson, & Oddy will be account wide upgradable, but the Fleet ships I'm not clear on. (I'm honestly expecting that to be a no, but would like the confirmation.)
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wonder how many threads about this we will seeing these days. Even if people already knew , they will keep posting complaining posts about T5U ships being worst than the new fancy T6 ships.

Wake up, everybody already knew that. Just some of you refused to believe it. But since older players know how cryptic works, everyone of em was expecting something like this. I said it millions of times even 2 months ago. New ships will be far better than any other ship. That is a logical step if you think how cryptic works. And the money in the middle of the matter is the other proof. Please guys, seriously, wake up. Complainings now about what?? about something you already knew months ago?? sigh, always the same story.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just wanted to state my disappointment that you chose to make the upgrades zen instead of dilithium. By crashing the exchange you will make a ton of $$$$$$$$$ in the short term. We'll see if people grind dil for long at 400 though. Maybe they will.

Otherwise it sounds to me like the upgrades will be fair. Looking forward to upgrade my vet ships and my Vesta and Risian ships.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    will be for all of them.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But they do, and you guys with your equal T6 none sense would make them un-unique.

The new t6 ships do have something unique - the new unlock able ship trait. Most people agree that's fine because that carries over to existing ships after you unlock it. What's not ok is this extra boff skill business that makes t6 clearly superior.

Personally though I think the line should be at 10 consoles, 12 boss skills and no further, we already have enough ability bloat as it is and the new ship system is incentive enough.
  • odoetalodoetal Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In our latest Dev blog, Phil “Gorngonzolla” Zeleski, Systems Lead share all the crucial details on upgrading your Tier 5 ship to be competitive in the Delta Quadrant and beyond!

Read more about it here.

~LaughingTrendy

another question and hopefully there is an answer pls this being said and done and we arnt going to loose too much (hopefully) what about the mk xii gear thats rep gained are these going to be upgraded into infinity (similar to the tractor beam mines?)
    or are we to face the possibility of fighting re gain all the rep gear we have been grinding for each new lvl up to 60 and beyond to keep it lvl'd

(and on a personal note pls pls pls for the love of god make tovan keiv a reclaimable boff the same as a jem boff that way when the skill retrainer decides to smeg up my retraining and accidentally whifflebat tovan's rapid fire 3 to something i was attempting to get on another boff i can sort him out as this is impossible of current as he is both BOUND and UNDELETEABLE)
    edited August 2014
    :D

Hi cryptic defender fan boy! I hope you feel good about yourself for that statement. :D And to answer your question, yes because I paid and ground for it like every other player here. I'm not paying or grinding anymore. I've done my bit for king and country.

I'm not defending them, I'm defending their choice of action.

I don't want to spend 10$ (maybe 5, I only have 3 alts so it isn't much for me) on the upgrades as much as the next guy, but I understand why they're doing it.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My (polite) opinion of this is summed up in my sig

Holding players to ransom is not a smart move
    edited August 2014
    odoetal wrote: »
    another question and hopefully there is an answer pls this being said and done and we arnt going to loose too much (hopefully) what about the mk xii gear thats rep gained are these going to be upgraded into infinity (similar to the tractor beam mines?)
    or are we to face the possibility of fighting re gain all the rep gear we have been grinding for each new lvl up to 60 and beyond to keep it lvl'd

(and on a personal note pls pls pls for the love of god make tovan keiv a reclaimable boff the same as a jem boff that way when the skill retrainer decides to smeg up my retraining and accidentally whifflebat tovan's rapid fire 3 to something i was attempting to get on another boff i can sort him out as this is impossible of current as he is both BOUND and UNDELETEABLE)

Good question! I'd bet we would have to pay for that too :(
    signature.png
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the biggest thing now is the extra Boff skill on the new Tier 6 ships. This could potentially make T5U obsolete depending where they put it.

If it's just an extra Ensign seat that's fine probably won't make much different; but if they upgrade a Lt. Commander to Commander or Commander to Captain that may have huge problems in PvP especially.

The other thing is we have to wait what these new Boff skills will be...we're probably looking at either more Tactical skills or perhaps an extra hull heal...

This Boff could be the reason I don't upgrade my Oddy and just get the new ship.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    will be for all of them.

That's great to hear, thanks.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    if the cost of upgrading all your current and future t5 ships was a one off purchase of $5-$10 fine I could have taken that on the chin but to charge $5-$10 per ship is just a joke.
    especially for anyone who has purchased a large bundle.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited August 2014
    I'm not defending them, I'm defending their choice of action.

I don't want to spend 10$ (maybe 5, I only have 3 alts so it isn't much for me) on the upgrades as much as the next guy, but I understand why they're doing it.

I understand why they are doing it too. But they ate still wrong. Enough said.
    signature.png
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    the upgrade lists are made entirely of madeuponthefly ad-hocmium.

the list
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002163

for example
    Fleet Ha'feh Assault Warbird
    Fleet Ha'Nom Guardian Warbird
    both upgradable.

these ships go together to form the fleet ha'apax, which also costs fleet ship modules.
    but the ha'apax is excluded.

Fleet Haakona Advanced Warbird? Just a different skin to make it a Ha'apax.
    edited August 2014
    burstorion wrote: »
    My (polite) opinion of this is summed up in my sig

Holding players to ransom is not a smart move

HAHA! Nice signature pic. That's a good representation of what's happening with x2
    signature.png