test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RE: Tier 6 ships

mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
For the following reasons:

1. The Fed version of the upcoming T6 ships look like they were made from Lego and papercraft. Euugh.

2. I've had occasional correspondence with designer Rick Sternbach over the years (sorry. I only dropped name cuz it was relevant), and of all the ships he had designed for the franchise, the Relativity is my favorite, right down to the horizontally-mounted Bussard Collectors. Adding on the Aeon skin made it even more so.

3. The Delta ships may be advanced, but the Wells is still a 29th Century hull design. It'll be far ahead of the rest. AND, how many STO ships out there use Time itself as a power? :D

Your opinion may vary.
Post edited by mhirtesc on

Comments

• Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i cant fault your thinking, i love the wells. got the chance to play with one
    on a friends account, a while back, and with the shuttle skin it looks amazing.
    its 1 ship i may never be able to afford, but will always imagine owning.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know what you mean, we all have our favorites. I'm already planning on what ship to use as I venture into the Delta Rising.

Fed - Not sure yet as I have several.
    KDF - Either my K'Tinga, Kamarag, or Vor'cha. I will get a final choice then. I'm leaning for the old classic K'Tinga.
    Romulan - More likely my best ship, the D'Deridex.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm probably going to stick with my T5 ships, simply because I really like them.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    Unless lockbox ships get a pass to T6 then you are going to be seriously disadvantaged in PvP. If you don't PvP then it probably doesn't matter either way.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really like the look of the KDF raptor. And since it's got battlecruiser looks, I'm guessing it'll have destroyer-like / eng leaning stats (which I like). So that's a 90% chance buy. :cool:

Rom ship looks decent, but I haven't seen enough of it to decide if I like the looks more than my Valedore. As for stats, I don't have a clue. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My thinking too. I'll stick with my dear ship too. The new ones look too unappealing to scrap my favorite flagship. <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My Fleet Avenger is my hero ship and she will continue to be my hero ship whether or not she can be upgraded. Now I know how Scotty felt when he first saw the Excelsior.

Uhura: Would you look at that.

Kirk: My friends, the great experiment: The Excelsior. Ready for trial runs.

Sulu: She's supposed to have transwarp drive.

Scotty: Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

Kirk: Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.
    Headlong into mystery
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Each of my captains have a ship that is them.

My Main fed, it's the Avenger. Built like an A10 with the damage to match. My main Rom, yeah it's the Rom Feeebie DSD, main KDF she has aTorp BoP.

Yeah so I'll keep using these ships, though I'll probably get the freebie tier 6 for craps and giggles.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    * hugs his T5 Vor'Cha *

I'm never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you, never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you for a T6 ship.

=3

Damn it, you got that song in my head. Ah the 80s ... STTNG, Madonna and corny TRIBBLE MTV videos. Good times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    * hugs his T5 Vor'Cha *

I'm never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you, never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you for a T6 ship.

=3

:D

my kdf tac is running a mirror vo'quz, got it as something to fly untill i hit 50, i
    was going to get the kar'fi, buuuuuuut, the mirror vo'quz its such a fun ship
    with the build i run, i just love flying it, so hopefully it will still be viable come
    the expansion. (im sure for pve it will be)

i have a sci fed in a voth palisade, its not as pretty as the wells i'd like, but it does
    a sterling job and i definately want to keep her in it, especially as the new T6 fed
    ship is not to my cup of tea in the looks department.

my rom engineer? well, i do quite like the look of the new rom ship so maybe that
    will be the one toon to get some love in a T6 ship.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    k0pak0pa Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yea no way i am getting rid of my Fleet Excelsior..

As all Captains with there ships would say
    The Excelsior is not old; no one would call her old. She has a lovely lines. She's a fine space faring-ship: weatherly, stiff and fast … very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime."

And I be Damn if one those new T6 Space Rockets going put my Excelsior to the bone yard :mad:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    k0pa wrote: »
    Yea no way i am getting rid of my Fleet Excelsior..

As all Captains with there ships would say
    The Excelsior is not old; no one would call her old. She has a lovely lines. She's a fine space faring-ship: weatherly, stiff and fast … very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime."

And I be Damn if one those new T6 Space Rockets going put my Excelsior to the bone yard :mad:

Nice parapharase, and let me say this about my Avenger USS Nike.

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. I've made a couple of special modifications myself."
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Nice parapharase, and let me say this about my Avenger USS Nike.

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. I've made a couple of special modifications myself."

How you quote Han Solo on ST related forum. Do you know the cosmic repercussion ...

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Even if you decided mainly to fly the Wells...you're not going to grab yourself a handful of T6 ships to unlock the Starship Traits for your Wells?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Unless lockbox ships get a pass to T6 then you are going to be seriously disadvantaged in PvP. If you don't PvP then it probably doesn't matter either way.

From what little we know now, T5 lockbox ships will be upgradeable to T6 as your Captain levels. We know that the Bug ship will be upgradable. Don't see why the other Lockbox/Lobi ships won't be either. Cryptic wants people to keep buying keys.

If you read the recent release note, even the Delta ships will start out at Level 50, and will level with you so long as you use that particular ship. If you transfer to another ship, you'll have to level that new ship as well till it reaches max starship level (all the more reason for me to stay with my Wells, because I'm already very familiarized with how it performs).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    How you quote Han Solo on ST related forum. Do you know the cosmic repercussion ...

Frak it, if the cosmos wants to come get me, it knows where to find me. I'll break the cosmos even more.

"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't the sky from me.

Take me out, to the black, tell'em I ain't comin back. Burn the land and boil the seas, but you can't take the sky from me.

I've got no place I'd rather be, since I found Nike for me. And you can't take the sky from me...."

So did I break it yet?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Time the funk out( heh heh, time). The temporal ships are from the 29th century, shouldn't they already be t6?

Obviously, they have to upgrade the time ships...and if time ships ate upgraded...perhaps other lobi lockbox ships as well
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Im going to stay with my fleet excelsior as long as i can i hope they give her an option to upgrade to t-6 id hate to have to moth ball my favorite ship :(
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Frak it, if the cosmos wants to come get me, it knows where to find me. I'll break the cosmos even more.

"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't the sky from me.

Take me out, to the black, tell'em I ain't comin back. Burn the land and boil the seas, but you can't take the sky from me.

I've got no place I'd rather be, since I found Nike for me. And you can't take the sky from me...."

So did I break it yet?

"My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle!"

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    From what little we know now, T5 lockbox ships will be upgradeable to T6 as your Captain levels. We know that the Bug ship will be upgradable. Don't see why the other Lockbox/Lobi ships won't be either. Cryptic wants people to keep buying keys.

If you read the recent release note, even the Delta ships will start out at Level 50, and will level with you so long as you use that particular ship. If you transfer to another ship, you'll have to level that new ship as well till it reaches max starship level (all the more reason for me to stay with my Wells, because I'm already very familiarized with how it performs).

Suuuuure. Keep thinking that. The world is all sunshine and flowers and lollipops!

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle!"

Know what the rutting chain of command is here? Its the chain I go and get to beat you to show who's in rutting command around here.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Even if you decided mainly to fly the Wells...you're not going to grab yourself a handful of T6 ships to unlock the Starship Traits for your Wells?

Delta ships won't unlock the Starship Traits to the Wells. Flying a Wells will unlock the Starship Trait for the Wells. (AFIAK) Somethingsomethingsomething about your crew becoming familiar with each particular ship via hands-on experience.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Delta ships won't unlock the Starship Traits to the Wells. Flying a Wells will unlock the Starship Trait for the Wells. (AFIAK) Somethingsomethingsomething about your crew becoming familiar with each particular ship via hands-on experience.

yeah, i think thats kinda what i may have sort of got from the blog i think
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014

From the blog...
    Another interesting aspect of Tier 6 ships is the new Starship Mastery system.

That says Mastery is a T6 ship thing.
    Upon reaching Starship Mastery level 5 a Starship Trait will be unlocked.

That says the Starship Traits are unlocked from Mastery...which the previous said was a T6 thing.
    Since Starship Traits can be slotted, they can be used while flying any starship you own even if they are not Tier 6.

That tells us that we can then use the Starship Traits, which are unlocked from the Starship Mastery system, which are part of the T6 ships...on non-T6 ships.

Which tells us, that even if we want to fly our "competitive" T5 ships...to get those traits, we'll still need T6 ships to do so.

Yes, I'm definitely hoping that a dev stops in to say that's wrong - it's not like that...but that's what the blog says...meh.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Unless Crypic puts in a gear score like they did with Neverwinter Ill just keep going in my current ships and play whatever I want and come to the forums to see the min/maxers crying about me being in their endgame with suboptimal ships, lol.
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Which tells us, that even if we want to fly our "competitive" T5 ships...to get those traits, we'll still need T6 ships to do so.

This is exactly what it says.

You want Starship traits? Buy a t6 ship and fly it. Go back to your old one once you've unlocked the traits.

Each ship doesn't have starship traits. Only t6's do.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Suuuuure. Keep thinking that. The world is all sunshine and flowers and lollipops!

Hey until reality imposes some other view DR being Candyland is an entirely valid perspective.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Know what the rutting chain of command is here? Its the chain I go and get to beat you to show who's in rutting command around here.

"Sir ... you are my kind of stupid!"

*sorry didn't meant to offend ... love that quote*

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    "Sir ... you are my kind of stupid!"

*sorry didn't meant to offend ... love that quote*

here's a quote for ya. "Rather be dead and cool, than alive and uncool." And the timeless "Stupid is as stupid does."
    afMSv4g.jpg