test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starfleet Intelligence File - Delta Quadrant Species

Comments

• simpleenthusiast#3086 simpleenthusiast Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While I do enjoy the more "official Starfleet blahblahblah" type blogs (I think they're great for people who enjoy RP) I would like to see a bit more information about the actual t5 to t6 (hopefully) upgrade, and a bit more on the mechanics and new gear/ships (which i guess could be done in a "official starfleet" way) before we start doing the lore type posts. The way you did the uniform code was excellent for this. Give us a standard dev blog, then do a lore post.
    Lore posts are great, but give us real info first please!
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If Hirogen are not playable, I will just stick with the characters I already have.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Hey guess what, not everyone thinks the same as you do, some of us prefer Voyager to the TRIBBLE shoveled out as DS9. I personally can't stand DS9, so much awful stuff like the Dominion War, Sisko using Biogenic weaponry and still having a career in Starfleet, and the abomination called Section 31.

EDIT: Never mind the counter-arguments, there are like a million threads in TF that detail why Voyager is an abomination.

Seriously, it's fine that you don't like DS9 (one of my personal favorite shows, incidentally), but don't go holding up the poorly-written hash that is Voyager as somehow better than DS9, which is consistently rated as one of the top 10 sci-fi shows of all time.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the general consensus says that your opinion is incorrect.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Right, the species that produced the most useless person in the galaxy, the species whose reproduction should have rendered them extinct centuries ago, and the species that is so rock-stupid even the Borg don't want them.

To all who voted for VOY in the poll: Gee, thanks.

This is destined to be a very painful expansion for you then as its clearly a celebration of the Voyager series.
    edited August 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    This is destined to be a very painful expansion for you then as its clearly a celebration of the Voyager series.

Funnily enough, our CM has been making some very humorous posts both here and in TF about the general fails of Voyager, Neelix, and Janeway.

I knew there was a reason I liked him.

I will wait until the expansion comes out to pass judgement, but I am hopeful that Cryptic will give anti-Voyager folks something to appease them. Maybe even a chance to kill Neelix!
    edited August 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, our CM has been making some very humorous posts both here and in TF about the general fails of Voyager, Neelix, and Janeway.

I knew there was a reason I liked him.

I will wait until the expansion comes out to pass judgement, but I am hopeful that Cryptic will give anti-Voyager folks something to appease them. Maybe even a chance to kill Neelix!

Once they get going, I doubt people will even care its based on Voyager. Its your ship and your adventure and with so many missions, I think people will just enjoy having a vast amount of new story content.
    edited August 2014
    Once they get going, I doubt people will even care its based on Voyager. Its your ship and your adventure and with so many missions, I think people will just enjoy having a vast amount of new story content.

I agree, but I do think that a lot of people will rage about fighting Kazon and allying with the moronic Talaxians and biologically impossible Ocampa.

Unless you can kill Neelix, don't have to deal with Ocampa if you don't want to, and the Kazon are so easy even a t1 connie in factory gear can take them out with a LOL faceroll. That would be fun for everyone.
    edited August 2014
    I agree, but I do think that a lot of people will rage about fighting Kazon and allying with the moronic Talaxians and biologically impossible Ocampa.

Unless you can kill Neelix, don't have to deal with Ocampa if you don't want to, and the Kazon are so easy even a t1 connie in factory gear can take them out with a LOL faceroll. That would be fun for everyone.

The Kazon element could be tricky, I agree. The only reason they were a threat to Voyager was sheer numbers. Now, back with a large number of ships and far more advanced, I'll be interested to see how they can make the Kazon a threat without being ridiculous.
    edited August 2014
    The Kazon element could be tricky, I agree. The only reason they were a threat to Voyager was sheer numbers. Now, back with a large number of ships and far more advanced, I'll be interested to see how they can make the Kazon a threat without being ridiculous.

Heh.

I don't think the Kazon should BE a threat. They should make a sort of PVE queue where it's one player versus a metric buttload of Kazon, just LOLfacerolling them over and over and over. Make it a bonus XP thing, sort of like the old mirror event. It'd be fun enough and great for fast leveling.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I'm not as interested in the Kazon/Ocampa/Talaxian group as I am the potential of meeting races like the Kobali and the Krenim... or the Quarran, for that matter... "Sphere of Influence" already showed that the Iconians are interested in the Quarran's methods to turn races into brainwashed workers and how they can be applied to the Iconians' servitor races. The last we see of the Krenim, they still have the plans for the temporal weapon, something that the Tholians would probably be interested in... and that one Ensign from Voyager has been living among the Kobali with her human memories for the last thirty years, for all we know, they could be waiting to open contact with the Federation now...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like the image of the three races on the loading screen.

I particularly like the "I don't want to be seen in public with these two losers" expression the Ocampan woman is wearing.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey! Sudden thought.... We're going into the Delta Quad, right? Ocampans and all? Does this mean we'll finally get an answer to that age-old STO question 'Is Linnea (Quinn's assistant) really an Ocampa or does she just look like one?'
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: Never mind the counter-arguments, there are like a million threads in TF that detail why Voyager is an abomination.

I've always thought Voyager was the weakest of the Star Trek series myself - but that was mainly because of the too-many-cooks factor when it came to consistently writing for the main characters, especially Janeway, over the course of seven seasons.

Luckily, however, we already know that won't be a problem with DR, on account of (1) its series of missions all being done in one blast and by the same few writers and developers, and (2) having the missions built around a presumably-at-least-somewhat coherent storyline, as opposed to a cast of characters that may be interpreted differently from one writer to the next.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kinda wondering when the next intelligence file comes in for lt. probably 5 days time i would imagine and every 7 days there after it i were to guess, 8 weeks left.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Vast? Really?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vorga113 wrote: »
    Vast? Really?

you need to put it into perspective: If cryptic has released 1 new mission every 3 months, 10 new missions every 3 months for 6 months is vast.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Me personally, I don't understand the Voyager hate, it just comes off as immature whenever I see it.

But I'm wondering how the Voyager ragerollers will take the introduction of an expansion based around something they hate?
    Will they stick to their principles and avoid all Delta Quadrant content?
    Or are they going to play it and complain all day long about how it's being forced upon them?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited August 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    Me personally, I don't understand the Voyager hate, it just comes off as immature whenever I see it.

Voyager "hate" centers around the fact that it was a poorly-written show that destroyed a great premise and featured a blatant Mary Sue as the starship's Captain, in addition to the fact that Neelix is general fail and Chakotay is an insult to all Native Americans.

The consultant the Voyager writers got to make sure they weren't being insulting? Was a legendary liar.

And don't even get me started on "Threshold" and "Scorpion".
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tilarta wrote: »

But I'm wondering how the Voyager ragerollers will take the introduction of an expansion based around something they hate?
    Will they stick to their principles and avoid all Delta Quadrant content?
    Or are they going to play it and complain all day long about how it's being forced upon them?
    They'll probably play it and whine incessantly. I mean, that's what most of the whiners do. Example: Wah! ISE is SOOOO boring and there was no challenge in any of the 50 times I played it today....

Uh yeah, there's more misisons than just ISE in the game... if you're bored of it, play a different one...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Voyager had a lot of flaws, but I still loved it the most; from all Trek series. Despite of these flaws, some characters just 'clicked' well with me, which I can't say for DS9, everyone seemed somewhat bland (Although Klingons appearing more often there was lovely :D) and definitelly *NOT* about TOS (Kirk, the womanizer, mysogynic, sexistic...dumdidum, brain to mouth filter applied here).

No amount of hate present on VOY is going to sway me from looking forward to Delta Rising - even though I have my worries, in regards that we are going to end up allied with corpse-stealing scumbags Kobali... <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited August 2014
    As a Native American I disagree with the stated opinion of Chakotay.

In what way do you disagree?
    edited August 2014
    Just why exactly should I care about the general consensus? I don't, I decide for myself what I like, I do not just go along with others on any subject. I mean that literally too, I may at times find myself in agreement with the majority on a a given subject, but that is not because their opinions guided me, it is because in that case I arrived at that opinion independantly, nothing more.

Doesn't matter if you are talking about movies, music, cars, or anything else, I decide my own opinion on things.
    This guy sums it up nicely for me as well. I make my own opinion on stuff & don't need "general consensus" for anything to like something. :D

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

edited August 2014
    This guy sums it up nicely for me as well. I make my own opinion on stuff & don't need "general consensus" for anything to like something. :D

Still doesn't change the fact that Janeway was Jeri Taylor's Mary Sue or that Neelix is generalized fail incarnate. Or that the Kazon are complete incompetents and very, very low-quality bargain-basement Klingon ripoff wannabes.
    edited August 2014
    Still doesn't change the fact that Janeway was Jeri Taylor's Mary Sue or that Neelix is generalized fail incarnate. Or that the Kazon are complete incompetents and very, very low-quality bargain-basement Klingon ripoff wannabes.
    Yes, as I said, VOY had its' flaws. But it's still my most favorite Trek show, regardless & that ain't gonna change. :)

edited August 2014
    Yes, as I said, VOY had its' flaws. But it's still my most favorite Trek show, regardless & that ain't gonna change. :)

Heh.

I gave up on Voyager once the ostensibly Mayan Chakotay said something about tepees and vision quests. I was already stretched to the breaking point with Ensign Generic and Neelix and the totally not racist at all treatment of the mostly dark-skinned Kazon as opposed to the Caucasian Ocampa, and the Kazon in general, and the biology fail of the Ocampa, and Neelix in general, and Janeway being an incompetent Sue, and nobody at all listening to Tuvok even though he was the only one making any sense at all, and the fact that Ms. Chief Engineer Klingon Rage could not identify manure with a tricorder.

I decided I hated Voyager more than seasons 1-3 of Enterprise when I was subjected to "Threshold" on a bet.

But TEHO, I guess.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Heh.

I gave up on Voyager once the ostensibly Mayan Chakotay said something about tepees and vision quests. I was already stretched to the breaking point with Ensign Generic and Neelix and the totally not racist at all treatment of the mostly dark-skinned Kazon as opposed to the Caucasian Ocampa, and the Kazon in general, and the biology fail of the Ocampa, and Neelix in general, and Janeway being an incompetent Sue, and nobody at all listening to Tuvok even though he was the only one making any sense at all, and the fact that Ms. Chief Engineer Klingon Rage could not identify manure with a tricorder.

I decided I hated Voyager more than seasons 1-3 of Enterprise when I was subjected to "Threshold" on a bet.

But TEHO, I guess.
    That's the first time i hear/read this. I never had the idea of the Kazon/Ocampa relation being in any way related to racism.
    Interesting point of view. But also strange, a bit exaggerated and bizarre though.

100% agreement to the rest.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited August 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    That's the first time i hear/read this. I never had the idea of the Kazon/Ocampa relation being in any way related to racism.
    Interesting point of view. But also strange, a bit exaggerated and bizarre though.

100% agreement to the rest.

It was just...the obvious "street gang" vibe of the Kazon, which apparently the writers were actually aiming for, plus the dark-skinned, big-hairdoed Kazon, plus the Caucasian, predominantly blond Ocampa, combined to form a really offensive racist stereotype.

Just rewatch "Caretaker", and any other episodes that deal with Ocampa or Kazon.

But yeah, I linked to some of the more fundamental Neelix fails earlier in the thread.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It was just...the obvious "street gang" vibe of the Kazon, which apparently the writers were actually aiming for, plus the dark-skinned, big-hairdoed Kazon, plus the Caucasian, predominantly blond Ocampa, combined to form a really offensive racist stereotype.

Just rewatch "Caretaker", and any other episodes that deal with Ocampa or Kazon.

But yeah, I linked to some of the more fundamental Neelix fails earlier in the thread.
    Truthfully? I have to call that a success. You're supposed to dislike the Kazon. But like the other guy said, you're reading into it... a lot.

and where did you get the "ostensibly Mayan" idea? He always struck me as being more like a Navaho.... (or Hopi) the only thing that really connects him to Central America at all is that thing with the "Rubber Tree People"... and that's kinda vague.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Truthfully? I have to call that a success. You're supposed to dislike the Kazon. But like the other guy said, you're reading into it... a lot.

and where did you get the "ostensibly Mayan" idea? He always struck me as being more like a Navaho....

Heh. I may be reading a lot into it, but being a history buff, I am VERY leery of racism of all stripes.

And I DO hate the Kazon. But for the wrong reasons.

IIRC Chakotay is explicitly stated to be Mayan at some point. The fact remains that the consultant the writers got to ensure they were writing their token Native American properly was a legendary faker with no actual Native American heritage or knowledge beyond that common in popular culture.

Which was annoying as heck.
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, but I didn't get the whole Khazon / Ocampa storyline as being racist in the least. Throwing the term racist out there has lost it's potency, because anytime people disagree with one another, accusations of racism are levied.

We see what we want to see in works of art. They're all relative. If you're convinced that the Khazon were an allegory to a specific human race, maybe you need to meditate on your own heart before accusing others.