test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subspace Party Nullifier

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    - A poster lashes out at a random player, calling them a "troll" when the latter simply stated he didn't understand the problem with disco balls.

- A poster states that disco balls should still be completely eliminated from the game, because it's not enough to opt out of one's own emote, he wants to force it on others.

- A poster makes a bunch of one-line, condescending posts or a sarcastic, condescending post (like a drinking game) because s/he has nothing of worth or value to add to the discussion at hand.

What part of that list am I (including the one you quoted)?

Please tell me I am on it... I don't like to be left out.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No anger or animosity here Anazonda, like you I'm just enjoying intelligent debate with some, and amused at the lack of any intlligent debate in the arguments of a small minority.

Regarding mods, I do actually understand why these aren't permitted, as I've had a support roll in the past. The problem was that those "modding" still thought that they could get tech support on their modified client side software. It's much simpler to just ban modding than to deal with this, as some folks just don't get "mod at own risk" or "if you modify the software, you wont receive any tech support". Trust me, giving tech support is difficult enough, without adding more levels of mess.

Daan, never said you did bud. But go have a look through the thread again, there ARE people there who did. Both sides of the argument have people who are right out there for sure, but it just seems that the anti side has more than it's fair share. Oddly though, the ones most often called trolls don't actually seem to be in either of the extreme groups....

Me, I'm on a 3rd side of the argument, I'm not an amplifier lover, or an amplifier hater. I'm a don't give a hoot about the amplifier person, who's more concerned about ANY player who's taking an extreme stance on EITHER side. I've just said more against the haters as they're far more apparent in this thread. Heck, they even got angry with me for taking the middle ground. lol I also hate how people try to win arguments by labelling people trolls, now that does irritate me, far more than disco balls. lol It's only a matter of time before somebody labels me as one I am sure, once they give up trying to actually form a proper argument. I've already had thinly veiled insults aimed at my posts (not taking them as aimed at me personally, yet. lol), so it's only a matter of time I'm sure.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    I think it's a 2 minute animation? Yes, I would agree it wasn't a high priority to fix although I'm not 100% sold on it just being put in to stop complaints. For all anyone knows, they may have given some thought that there is the potential for the disco balls to be driving off some new customers who find them disruptive when they first land in the game.

In any case, I think it's easier for the Devs to put the nullifier in game than it is to try and convince people to not let it bother them.
    and assuming new players are leaving the game because of that, how is adding the nullifier convincing them to stay when they aren't going to have any idea it exists?

it's not like the devs are going to add on to the tutorial pointing out the existance of the GPL consoles scattered around the game where they can buy the things
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited July 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i have not asked for anyone to be punished and ask for immersion this entire game is immersion breaking for lots and lots of reason will not go into them reason but lets just say im one for bikinis everywhere

There's nothing more immersion breaking than the bezel of a monitor, your kids screaming in the background and your wife laughing her backside of at you when your fleet wants you to use teamspeak. :cool:

Then the cat jumps onto your mouse mat, before walking across your keyboard....

BAN REAL LIFE! lol
    edited July 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »
    Regarding mods, I do actually understand why these aren't permitted, as I've had a support roll in the past. The problem was that those "modding" still thought that they could get tech support on their modified client side software. It's much simpler to just ban modding than to deal with this, as some folks just don't get "mod at own risk" or "if you modify the software, you wont receive any tech support". Trust me, giving tech support is difficult enough, without adding more levels of mess.

Well as far as I can tell, we can't technically mod the game as such... Merely alter what it returns to the user... So I don't think this would provide any technical issues like they did in that other game (used to be moderator on filefront, so I am aware of some of the issues people have complained about).

Mostly I never register the balls... When I am at stabases I have too many windows open to see them.
    BAN REAL LIFE! lol

I support this suggestion
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    edited July 2014
    I mean the client side mods bud. An example, had one guy who modded the launcher gui to make it look different. In the process he broke the launcher of the game. He then tried to get tech support to fix it, and became angry with said tech support when the advice was "reinstall, it's your own fault".

Stupid I know, but that's "people" for you.... There's also the issue of needing detection of which client side mods are purely aesthetic, and which actually give an in game advantage (eg. some past mods in various games made aiming easier etc etc, giving an advantage in PvP as they reduced lag etc etc...). It's a true minefield once you start letting the client modify the uhm client. lol

Seems to me there are now 3 sides to this argument. The vehement antis who want them gone and anybody using similar punished. The vehement pro (not many, if any, of them that I can see) who want the right to force EVERYBODY to dance, and those who neither dislike or like them, have no problem with players having a choice as to whether their character dances or not. The odd thing is, it's this last group that gett the word troll flung at them most, and give the most sensible and rational arguments. lol
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's nothing more immersion breaking than the bezel of a monitor, your kids screaming in the background and your wife laughing her backside of at you when your fleet wants you to use teamspeak. :cool:

Then the cat jumps onto your mouse mat, before walking across your keyboard....

BAN REAL LIFE! lol

dont have a wife nor want one dont have a cat im a dog man ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Here... This RIGHT here... Goes both ways folks.

Add to that:

Most of what happens on screen happens client-side... If people want them shut off, it should be done at the client... not the server.

I still think my idea is a great idea.

The Devs probably aren't ever going to do this becuase its likely more work than you think it is, as opposed to just putting a thing in there which doesn't make you dance.
    edited July 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    The Devs probably aren't ever going to do this becuase its likely more work than you think it is, as opposed to just putting a thing in there which doesn't make you dance.

Oh trust me: I am fairly confident I know how much work would be involved... Making large scale website systems and what not...

The thought pattern however was to put alot of work into it now, and then in the future.,.. May it be a week or 10 years STO is to survive, they would never EVER have to restrain themselves when making social toys... They could even migrate the code into their other games, and then really start benefiting from it (same base engine after all).

There is a great business value to this... and thats something that makes alot of work, worth the efford put into it.
    edited July 2014
    I'm inclined to agree with hartzilla that the Devs won't do this. Even if it might be something they could benefit from at a future date, they're more concerned with making money today.

The nullifier is enough as far as I'm concerned. Those who want to use the disco balls can still use them and those who don't want to be affected by them have the nullifier.

Oh I am in full agreement that they wont do this... Never said anything else...

I am merely saying that they could have avoided this whole mess, and have freedom of making any "party" item they wanted in the future if they would...

AND, not having to worry about dealing with an abundance of complaints also saves money...
    edited July 2014
    Not sure ignoring people qualifies as dealing with complaints. :P

we got a Subspace Party Nullifier didnt we ??? would that not mean someone is listen???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The thought pattern however was to put alot of work into it now,

And have the forums and everyone complain about them taking time to fiddle with the code like what happened back when the game went on life support before Perfect World bough Cryptic.

Which is also the reason why I chuckle when ever someone suggests devoting an entire season to bug fixes, becuase of how they have either forgotten or weren't around for the part of STO history.
    edited July 2014
    Not sure ignoring people qualifies as dealing with complaints. :P

On a daily basis, everyone with a computer at my employment spends no less than 10 mins daily sorting through mails and deleting spam...
    Thats 370 minutes minimum daily... Thats alot of money lost.

Even Cryptic /PWE is silly enough to just let complaints pile up... Tickets, regardless if they ignore them or not will take up a crapload of server space in no time, so they need some things they can delete...

Now if they could save themselves the trouble of having to delete them, they would have X-amount of minutes more to play with their nerf guns.
    hartzilla wrote: »
    And have the forums and everyone complain about them taking time to fiddle with the code like what happened back when the game went on life support before Perfect World bough Cryptic.

Which is also the reason why I chuckle when ever someone suggests devoting an entire season to bug fixes, becuase of how they have either forgotten or weren't around for the part of STO history.

I don't think you read what I wrote... At least not the way you were supposed to read.

What I suggested is in no way comparable to that little fiasco.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    On a daily basis, everyone with a computer at my employment spends no less than 10 mins daily sorting through mails and deleting spam...
    Thats 370 minutes minimum daily... Thats alot of money lost.
    You're an entrepeneur (or how it's called)? If so, kudo's and *thumbs up*.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited July 2014
    I assumed they had a mass delete option like I use to dump unread emails on my gmail account. :rolleyes:

j/k

I don't understand jokes... I don't have humor...
    edited July 2014
    I don't understand jokes... I don't have humor...

so you are a Android then? let me make a subspace call to Data and see if he will let you use his emotion chip :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited July 2014
    Oh... You work for the government. :P

Used to... These days I am in the private sector...
    edited July 2014
    Well that's better than being in the sector's privates. ;)

Now thats just creepy... You have a very dirty mind...
    edited July 2014
    Well that's better than being in the sector's privates. ;)
    Unfortunatly some people take advantage of that... :confused:
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

edited July 2014
    Yuck :confused:

/10chars
    We... agree on something :eek:.
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As someone who both never uses the disco balls, nor minds when my stoic officer suddenly busts a move, I must say I'm disappointed that these aren't consumable devices that actually shoot down the disco ball, because that would be hilarious.
    edited July 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    As someone who both never uses the disco balls, nor minds when my stoic officer suddenly busts a move, I must say I'm disappointed that these aren't consumable devices that actually shoot down the disco ball, because that would be hilarious.

Would make a good 2014 Winter Event item that. Party Pooper Rifle, shoots down 1 party amplifier, applies [party pooper] debuff to user removing any tribble or gambling device buff currently active. :D
    edited July 2014
    Snark aside, that's pretty much my take on the whole situation. After the debacle of the cryo grenades one would have thought a little more forethought would have been put in before the enhancers were released, or a slightly more prompt response would have been made once the problems started being reported. One can only hope that this time they learned their lesson and we will not have to go through all this again.

In the end, put me in the column for the Nullifier being an at least acceptable resolution. Thank you to the Dev who coded them. Your efforts are appreciated. :)

Whats a Snark?
    edited July 2014
    Would make a good 2014 Winter Event item that. Party Pooper Rifle, shoots down 1 party amplifier, applies [party pooper] debuff to user removing any tribble or gambling device buff currently active. :D

They did actually do something fairly quickly, they disabled the dance effect in mission zones as trolls were using them in ground STFs to grief. Now THAT is a genuine case where a need was identified and met.
  • judeconnorsjudeconnors Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For over a year now, we have seen people whining about the subspace party amplifiers.

Why can't you just change instances to where someone isn't partying with them in a public social area?

RadioStar.FM parties will continue to use these as our listeners LOVE them and it draws attention to our party.

Jude Connors
    RadioStar.FM
    edited July 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »

as someone who dont do event period this might would get me :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited July 2014
    Why can't you just change instances to where someone isn't partying with them in a public social area?

dont need to go any where got SPN now :D

we thank you for the gift of your bodys water and accept it in the spirit with which it was given :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited July 2014
    Whats a Snark?

As nobody else has answered... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snark_%28Lewis_Carroll%29

I have a feeling that's not what he meant though. lol
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I love these threads! I never knew there were so many of these in STO :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 649 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    dont need to go any where got SPN now :D

we thank you for the gift of your bodys water and accept it in the spirit with which it was given :D

I dunno about you but most people I would expect prefer to be pissed off than pissed on. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :eek: