test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

9.5 Confirmed for Thursday.

Comments

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I remember well how S9 was received. Specifically the traits revamp, even for (in my opinion) a good idea that was a hot topic for some time.

With all the changes coming in this new update...it's gonna get messy.
  • cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I remember well how S9 was received. Specifically the traits revamp, even for (in my opinion) a good idea that was a hot topic for some time.

With all the changes coming in this new update...it's gonna get messy.

Doesn't the way traits work now make us weaker?
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited July 2014
    Nothing wrong with Season 9.5 coming.

But does that mean the new crafting and doffing UI are coming already on Thursday, too? I am afraid it is.

That would be awful, the feedback on the UI was negative but they push it live nevertheless.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cbob312 wrote: »
    Doesn't the way traits work now make us weaker?

I hadn't noticed a difference.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    longasc wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Season 9.5 coming.

But does that mean the new crafting and doffing UI are coming already on Thursday, too? I am afraid it is.

That would be awful, the feedback on the UI was negative but they push it live nevertheless.

It was expected. Everyone knew as soon as 9.5 was on Tribble they would push this even with overwhelming negative opinion.

But what's funny they still say "it's not finalized" and yet its going live. So we become beta testers. :rolleyes:
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It was expected. Everyone knew as soon as 9.5 was on Tribble they would push this even with overwhelming negative opinion.

But what's funny they still say "it's not finalized" and yet its going live. So we become beta testers. :rolleyes:

Nothing new there really. LoR, season 9, we've always been beta testers. This will never change.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    I'm deleting my original post/rant.

Cryptic, you need to demonstrate more professionalism, not announcing with a casual tweet. 'Nuff said.
    anazonda wrote: »
    Sorta old news...

I agree with Tucana, for us veterans it might be all well and good but for the newer or less experienced players this'll be very sudden. They haven't even given us dev blogs about the new lockbox, and the summer event ending soon blog came out rather late last night, that should have come out on Monday in my opinion.

This is being left to the last minute if it is true they're releasing on Thursday, bit of a mess up isn't it?
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I learned my lesson well not to get into new content on here for atleast a few months because at launch of new content its not even halfway done yet. Makes you wonder what they have been working on since their last actual season was S8. So since November that is 9 months time and we got this undine thing and a new dilithium sink with gear thats not really that great just a gimmick to refill the cup fund.

I hate to break it to them I have enough broken content I'm burnt out on so I don't need anymore :)
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Won't somebody think of the hamsters!!!

Seriously though it is commonplace now for games companies to push out product live whilst still in its beta form, sometimes in a mad rush to cash in and sometimes because they are at a point that they don't know where to go with it and need the feedback.

This is something I thought we would not see with Cryptic in the fact they have the Tribble server and ask for the feedback there, the fact that people are still saying the same thing as in the first iteration of the new DOFF system and that the devs are saying it is still a work in progress gives me the impression that it isn't going to change or what we end up with is an open alpha.

Either way it is damaging to Cryptics professional image that we are treated this way and from now on a lot of people will treat anything they say with contempt. If this was a school report it really would say "Must try harder!"
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree with Tucana, for us veterans it might be all well and good but for the newer or less experienced players this'll be very sudden. They haven't even given us dev blogs about the new lockbox, and the summer event ending soon blog came out rather late last night, that should have come out on Monday in my opinion.

This is being left to the last minute if it is true they're releasing on Thursday, bit of a mess up isn't it?

While this is true, I seriously doubt it would have any impact on knowledge.

It is most likely true, that those who visit the webpage, where blogs and news are posted, also are common visitors to the forums as well, and since it has been somewhat common knowlege here on the forums since the pre-patch was released, that 9.5 would most likely release thursday, it would'n have made any difference if there had been a blog or not.

Also take into account that Cryptic has NEVER... N-E-V-E-R had a unified platform for distributing information.

Some info comes on the webpage only, some only in the forums, some through twitter, some on facebook, some in podcasts... And they never collect them, offer a centralized point where they grant easy access to all those sources at once...

Especially the Social-media is a heavy problem, as not everyone (in fact fewer and fewer every day) use said services, and as such trying to force people to go there for info is a stupid move on their part to say the least.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well here's hoping they at least push it back to Tuesday..
    edited July 2014
    dwapook wrote: »

You don't have much experience with Cryptic once they've chosen a date, do you? :)
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    edited July 2014
    I'd keep away from STO for at least a week. Usual habits include not being able to log in on launch day, and plenty of downtime for patches and fixes.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am shocked, saddened, disappointed, angry.

The communication with the community (yes us YOUR CUSTOMERS) has been absolutely shocking.

There have not been dev blogs on the subject (story based blogs with no mechanic explanation, podcasts, livestreams etc DO NOT COUNT) and the only information I have been able to gleam is from Tribble patch notes and discussions, but this is unacceptable for the general community.

Announcing a major release as an afterthought/joke on a Twitter feed is like the actions of a child, and I certainly wouldn't part with my hard earned $ to a company that behaves in such a way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    anazonda - Not really! >.>;
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Time to say goodbye to DOFFing, it was fun while it lasted !
    No way in hell I'm going to keep doffing with such a terrible UI. Just doing the contraband, if I'm in the mood of scrolling until I find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

It is most likely true, that those who visit the webpage, where blogs and news are posted, also are common visitors to the forums as well, and since it has been somewhat common knowlege here on the forums since the pre-patch was released, that 9.5 would most likely release thursday, it would'n have made any difference if there had been a blog or not.

Also take into account that Cryptic has NEVER... N-E-V-E-R had a unified platform for distributing information.

Some info comes on the webpage only, some only in the forums, some through twitter, some on facebook, some in podcasts... And they never collect them, offer a centralized point where they grant easy access to all those sources at once...

Especially the Social-media is a heavy problem, as not everyone (in fact fewer and fewer every day) use said services, and as such trying to force people to go there for info is a stupid move on their part to say the least.

Not so sure about fewer people using them and that's a discussion for another time and place anyway, but they could certainly use some kind of area that unifies all information regardless of where it was originally put.

At present, and you are right on this, you do have to be in the know and be dedicated enough to check all these sources to root out what information you can about any given thing in the game. Yet it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the player base are going to be a bit surprised when this comes out.

We do need better communication with the devs, and posting Priority One on the news page is a start (even if I do have reservations about that show). Maybe the way to go is in-game news feeds, that could work.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yaaaaay, I'm totally looking forward to all the new features such as...

umm...

uh...

Oh yeah, new crafting alpha build! I'm totally looking forward to... keep... clicking... and waiting... for half a year... or so... just to get a couple of new shinies... with random modifiers...

Whatever, but I'm sure I'm gonna have fun doing all the new... uh... new... ish... errr... I mean, the new crafting stuff will surely help in all the new challenging cont... eeh? What? They want us to keep grinding what we've been grinding for months already?

Ah, well, I guess I'll just go back doing the Star Cluster mission content. I really missed doing that one, and I'll get myself some R&D materials while...... wait, they're doing WHAT?!?!

Seriously, why should we be excited about the new update?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014

wait ... there's a blog?
    edited July 2014
    Random thought. Think how fantastic the expansion will now be in comparison :P
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Knowing Cryptic I worry they might actually go ahead tomorrow...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Seriously, why should we be excited about the new update?

But, but new clothes!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Random thought. Think how fantastic the expansion will now be in comparison :P
    I would have said "it can be worse", but then, I know Cryptic and I've seen them work. Recently with the crafting revamp, were we thought that, and we all know what happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But, but new clothes!
    Oh yeah, right, the new clothes that I'm gonna show off while... having my ship... parked in sector space... most of the time... because of doffing.

*sigh*

But I guess KDF getting their Bortasqu' uniform after two years of waiting is always something.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Me : Hmmmm.......computer activate Emergency Player Hologram.

EPH : Please state the nature of the game emergency.

Me: Season 9.5 is comming on Thursday

EPH : I see. Computer shut down the EPH.

Me : * shakes fist at holo emitters * I Know where you live!!

lmao, i'm sure the hamsters will shut down the hologram if it ever reactivates ;)
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Oh yeah, right, the new clothes that I'm gonna show off while... having my ship... parked in sector space... most of the time... because of doffing.

*sigh*
    Let's just hope the doffing system keeps working properly ;).
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited July 2014
    dwapook wrote: »

In simpelest terms: Once they are set on a date... Thats the date they release... Bugs? Gamebreakers? Dosen't matter... When they have a date, that's when it goes live.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Probably trying to release it under a hush hush. It could potentially be the worst update to ever hit the game.
    I think id want to keep it quiet too, although I do think that will be worse than releasing it properly...

Yeah, seriously. Who ever wanted a useful crafting system in an MMO?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited July 2014
    In simpelest terms: Once they are set on a date... Thats the date they release... Bugs? Gamebreakers? Dosen't matter... When they have a date, that's when it goes live.

Yep, and surely going to make an interesting conversation piece at STLV. :P
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Don't forget the ones in Europe who will complain about Cryptic bringing the game down during their prime playing hours, and how they spend money on the game and shouldn't have to put up with downtime when it's most inconvenient for them.

If I ever run my own MMO, I'm going to put downtime right in the middle of US primetime and then count the ones in the US who will complain about NikkoJT Studios bringing the game down during their prime playing hours, and how they spend money on the game and shouldn't have to put up with downtime when it's most inconvenient for them.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
This discussion has been closed.