test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RE: PvP Discussion about queue changes for Season 9

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvP Gameplay
We will be bringing down the Tribble server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.40.20140316a.8

PVP:
  • All PvP Queues have been re-structured into All vs. All queues.
    • A new Space Arena PvP Queue has been added for unteamed players only.
      • This Unteamed Only queue will not allow premade teams to queue together.
      • This provides all participants with a level playing field in terms of teamwork and coordination.

...surprised?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...surprised?
    Not really. Including basic matchmaking (which is totally trivial to implement for pug queues) would have surprised me.
  • mindsharpmindsharp Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    RvB? Yay!!!

Team and Non-team? BOOOOOOOOO. Thats really happening?
    Karrock/Karreck/Darth Karrock/Unspoken
    House of Beautiful Orions
    PUNISH THE FEDs
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    Not really. Including basic matchmaking (which is totally trivial to implement for pug queues) would have surprised me.

I'm surprised and not surprised that part wasn't included. Not surprised, because I was surprised by this change - I expected RvB (but not PUG-only). Surprised because it would have made sense to have included it with the PUG-only thing...cause even though we disagreed on snippets here and there regarding the overall system, I definitely agreed that it wouldn't really make anything better without some form of matchmaking.
    mindsharp wrote: »
    RvB? Yay!!!

Team and Non-team? BOOOOOOOOO. Thats really happening?

Yep, that's kind of how it hit me. RvB Yay! I don't think we're ready for the team/non-team split yet - and - when we were ready for it, it would have to be with some form of matchmaking for the non-team side.
    edited March 2014
    Yep, that's kind of how it hit me. RvB Yay! I don't think we're ready for the team/non-team split yet - and - when we were ready for it, it would have to be with some form of matchmaking for the non-team side.

Yea, without matchmaking it will just be the same old story. Except now you cant blame it on the two or three guys with the same fleet tag.

Also now it will switch from the KvF queue being a wasteland to the team queue.

Didnt cryptic know that adding Klinks to the queues would balance out the premades? :P

On a side note, I can see the team queue already. VS v. IC all night, every night :D
    PUNISH THE FEDs
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    :eek:

:D

the devs are making it really hard to hate them over that galaxy reboot today with the reputation reeling in and the best thing thats happened to pvp in this game to date. it will be interesting to see how this works out... cant wait to actually pvp in my klink, whenever i want! that will be amazing. season 9= kvf war is over, pvp is now just a wargame

cryptic should like create an official teamed que channel, that anyone that ques up into it is automatically subscribed too. just making a team que is a bit of a half step, and will just end up dead
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow, they are making sweeping changes. I'm really curious how this will all work out. Even though this isn't the pvp season we all wanted, pvp is getting a lot of attention.

Also, RvB queues are awesome!!!! Thanks devs!!!!
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well lets just see how the non team queuing works before people start making grand assumptions and predictions.

I for one, think it can only be helpful right now. Matchmaking can come later, what they need to do is get more people interested in pvp somehow, myself included. This is a good step.

No more cloaked pocket healers for people, for starters. :)
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, yes, yes! PvP gets some love :) Plus...the war that wasn't really a war is finally over. Nice. :P

(That doesn't mean that I won't still enjoy popping some feds on my klink, though...)
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Taking teams out of the queues? Seems like Ker'rat won't be the only thing I do in game in the near future...

Devs, more of this please.
  • solarstreaksolarstreak Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o..m..g

Never thought I'd see this.
    Selun'x Alien Sci - Zarza Reman Tac
    edited March 2014
    just making a team que is a bit of a half step, and will just end up dead

Yeah, the team thing - given the population - well, I know it would have been more work; but I'd have thought they would have looked at creating a sort of lobby system for it.

I don't know, it's not my area of the community in the least - I just don't think the pop's there to support that split at the moment.

It was RvB the queues...reduce the chance of folks running into a team consecutively...grow the population...then take a look at doing something for teams (not to teams, but for teams).

But yeah, the RvB...no more falling asleep while waiting for FvK. It was a trip in Ker'rat the other day, Feds left like 4-5 times for FvF before I gave up on the FvK queue and went back to the PvE grind.
  • xalexkxxalexkx Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o..m..g

Never thought I'd see this.
    +1.....................
    To boldly go where no FAWer has ever FAWed before.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think is good for full pre mades, now we dont have to face pugs. But I am worrie that this queue is going to end up more dead than the shuttle one, and in that case is going to kill most of the PVP fleet or communitys or friends.. and that could be really bad for PVP.

I think is epic for full pugs, now they dont have to face pre mades.

I think is fantastic for casual PVP, now I can go and play alone and not be ***** by a pre made.

I think is terrible for the 2 friends that want to have a casual PVP, now they have to go separated or face a full premade..

In the end, we are going to see what happened. I could be really good or it could be the end of the road.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All round great changes :)
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2014
    I'll believe this after 1st of April
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good changes...

The none team que NEEDS a match making component.

As Mancom has said it isn't that hard to do... it is 100% possible without a ton of work. There really is no excuse for not doing it.

Still over all both changes are good as I see them.

If they announce tomorrow that FAW is being deleted and Scatter Volley renamed Fire at Will and being reworded to work with beams and cannons.

Well if that happens I might just start talking about STO in other games again. lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is probably the best news I have heard all month regarding this game.

My KDF toons might actually get playtime with my fleetmates.

Rejoice and praise Cheesus
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My KDF toons might actually get playtime with my fleetmates.
    Playtime for KDF toons? Yes.
    Together with your friends? No.

This will probably kill the regular queue. Almost all single players will queue for the pug queue because it increases one's chances for a lopsided match in one's favour, and the regular queue will repeat the same match over and over again because the remaining population for it will be so tiny.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    Playtime for KDF toons? Yes.
    Together with your friends? No.

This will probably kill the regular queue. Almost all single players will queue for the pug queue because it increases one's chances for a lopsided match in one's favour, and the regular queue will repeat the same match over and over again because the remaining population for it will be so tiny.

That is the thing that’s worried me a lot. At least the pug queues should allow 2 team players.. if I just want to play a casual game with my friend, I have to go and wait 2 hs for a pre made mach or play in separated teams. That is not good!

I agree that full pre made vs full pug need it a fix, but this system just killed the “Hey Kirk, lets go to a PVP for the sake of the fun”.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited March 2014
    That is the thing that’s worried me a lot. At least the pug queues should allow 2 team players.. if I just want to play a casual game with my friend, I have to go and wait 2 hs for a pre made mach or play in separated teams. That is not good!

I agree that full pre made vs full pug need it a fix, but this system just killed the “Hey Kirk, lets go to a PVP for the sake of the fun”.

That's the kind of feedback they're probably looking for and should get in that notes thread in case they miss it here.
    edited March 2014

I agree its really gonna hurt friends more than help the pugs. Without matchmaking of some form you will still have unbalanced teams more times than not. 5 scis, 5 tacs, 5 whatevers.

Most of the time I am queuing up with gorn and sometimes with anyone else that wants to go with us or by myself, the former is always way more fun.
    PUNISH THE FEDs
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love the idea of mixed faction queues, great step forward for pvp. As for the team and unteamed queues, while I have been a supporter of it at first, with all the discussion and debate on it I feel it should have waited for matchmaking system as others have suggested. Hopefully the team queues being mixed faction and solo players still being able to choose to use the team queues will make sure that is not dead.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2014
    So glad I don't play this game anymore.
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lots of good news today. Just the fact that we're able to talk about ways to improve on these changes further rather than starting additional DOoM threads is a great thing.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...surprised?

eh...

No. I just think that they see these small changes as our pvp content for the next 4 years.

kk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I reject the idea of mixed-factions pvp, i will not team up with an enemy of the Empire to kill other honorable soldiers of the Empire for some Federation Pe'taQ to boast about on ESD in a middle of a Federation-Klingon WAR!!!

So this what it comes down to when Cryptic feels that PvP is dead... make an enemy to team up with an ally to kill other fellow allies, for years Cryptic neglected and never updated PvP at all. no new Modes, Maps, no similar Ker'rat and N'vak Type maps with any real objectives, Systems PvP or any Rep System... so they came out with an lazy approach to team enemy with an enemy in PvP, this is no surprise due to the lack of imagination of Cryptic's part to insult PvP players further (Without PvP'ers knowing it), whats the point to have a Klingon Empire, the Federation and Sub-faction Romulans puppets to fight each other that does not fit in the already broken story line, u don't see Mixed-Factions PvP in SWTOR, WoW, Planetside, Guild Wars 2 and so on and many of those game knows how to make PvP to fit their PvE storyline while the Dev's at Cryptic does not.

If they want Mixed-Factions PvP they might as well release Laas from prison and make him the founder of the New Dominion that's made up of whats left of the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Star Empire with all the foreign lock box ships alot of players using now to wage a Dominion vs Dominion War and rename this game Lock Box Online.

This is indeed not a good day to die...
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I reject the idea of mixed-factions pvp, i will not team up with an enemy of the Empire to kill other honorable soldiers of the Empire for some Federation Pe'taQ to boast about on ESD in a middle of a Federation-Klingon WAR!!!

So this what it comes down to when Cryptic feels that PvP is dead... make an enemy to team up with an ally to kill other fellow allies, for years Cryptic neglected and never updated PvP at all. no new Modes, Maps, no similar Ker'rat and N'vak Type maps with any real objectives, Systems PvP or any Rep System... so they came out with an lazy approach to team enemy with an enemy in PvP, this is no surprise due to the lack of imagination of Cryptic's part to insult PvP players further (Without PvP'ers knowing it), whats the point to have a Klingon Empire, the Federation and Sub-faction Romulans puppets to fight each other that does not fit in the already broken story line, u don't see Mixed-Factions PvP in SWTOR, WoW, Planetside, Guild Wars 2 and so on and many of those game knows how to make PvP to fit their PvE storyline while the Dev's at Cryptic does not.

If they want Mixed-Factions PvP they might as well release Laas from prison and make him the founder of the New Dominion that's made up of whats left of the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Star Empire with all the foreign lock box ships alot of players using now to wage a Dominion vs Dominion War and rename this game Lock Box Online.

Just choke it up bruh, its all to perfect the chinese farming grind model ;O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    eh...

No. I just think that they see these small changes as our pvp content for the next 4 years.

kk

More than the last 4, eh? :P
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If the changes help to get more people to PVP, then so be it. It needs new blood into the mix today than at any other time in STO's history. IMO, of course.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

you do realize this change is happening almost completely because the kdf and fed war is going to be officially ended in the new featured ep right? oh its great for us players, and really needed and all, but the only way they would ever do something like this is to coincide with the story line rp :rolleyes: