test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new Rep System

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    austg76 wrote: »
    I have tried to skim through the forums and blogs about it and i am a little confused.I have tier 5 on a few of the tabs like New romulus and Dyson...
    1. Is this all lost and going to force me to restart the rep?
    or
    2. Do i keep the tier 5 but lose the reward?

You keep the rewards and the Tier 5, but you have to select 4 passive ground powers, 4 passive space powers, and 4 active powers. The more reputations you complete, the more selection of passive and active powers you have. So the essentially forced the active and space powers into a Trait system similar to Character traits.
    Change is bad.

Always.

If change is always bad, then we would still be swinging from trees and eating bugs in our fur or just a bunch of muck. Change in any form is good since it promotes evolution whether it applies to a person, civilization, or species. A non-changing or stagnant civilization is a dying civilization.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All I can say is thanks for this change.

Reason I say that is I have 8 characters currently, and now I have no more reason to even bother with the rep system.. I will pick which 8 I want and get those. After that I can go back to playing the game for fun.

So thank you cryptic for giving me a reason to not Grind reps!
    Just want to make sure this is known: if you want all the traits that the system provides, you'll need to do all the Reputation tracks.

This is what is on the Tribble patch notes (with emphasis on what should be known):
    When clicking on each section, all earned powers of that type will appear on the right side of the window.

So, if you want to have a wider selection, it'd be best to do all the reputation tracks (including the 8472 Counter-Command Reputation) so that you can have all the available traits from which to choose.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think most game vets knew when this launched it needed to have a limit on the number slotted. Perhaps not when the first rep came but for sure the second. It was clear then they where just going to keep doing more reps.

(...)

Of course there has to be a limit on the number people have active... they should have added it day one no doubt... glad they are doing it now though myself.

That's just the dev's words dressed new.

Thing of it is, though, I have yet to hear someone actually argue pro 'scalable indefinitely.'
    however to argue that the entire idea is bad is just so silly I almost can't fathom that people can think they are right on that.

Very silly indeed. And, fortunately, not happening either.

There *are*, however, people like yours truly, who, whilst buying into the whole 'not scalable indefinitely' thingy, do not appreciate being scaled down to 50%.

All of this, IMHO, would have been perfectly fine if they had just called the cap on what you currently have (= 4 fully completed reps). Kinda like they did with the Trait system: that has a limited 'window' too; but they didn't cut down half your Traits in the process, did they?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So that character I spent 8+ months on grinding all the reps is getting mega nerfed and Craptic isnt even giving us any sort of apology we f****ed up compensation? God I love this company! -_-
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So when Undine hits... you will have no use for a Heavy Disruptor or phaser turret ? We haven't seen what types of consoles will be included as there likely will be something... you can't imagine wanting that ? How about the Undine ship set ? No perhaps not... What about the new Bio Photon weapon ? How much you want to bet there is a console to go with that ?

My point is the rep was never intended to be the MAIN reason to unlock rep... it was just a perk as it was explained to us when they started doing rep.

Here is the thing though going forward... what if you really don't want any of that other stuff ?

That is fine don't bother with that rep... there is no requirement forcing you to play the game any one way. If you really want to progress... work on other reps... if your done those work on fleet stuff... nothing you want to for yourself or to help friends out with ... cool then work on an alt.

Point is its ok that not everyone will HAVE to do every single rep... feel free to do the ones you want. Or simply unlock them all so that if you ever decide X set or Y weapon or Z console will fit well on what ever new ship you are flying you can grab them. :)

ty good sir I myself have grinded the rep just for the equip because they fit my ships that i use. As for the passives

im glad they got the nerf makes things much better for my newer chars who cannot catch up to my old ones and

to top it all off im actually thinking about what works with each ship it is interesting to see what will work and what

will not with my Wells and Fleet Defiant
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do not see how removing this creates better balance and helps the power creep. It provides no buff, just a mechanic to counter another mechanic. If this is so op to balance it should be removed from the kits/sets too.

Already been announced by Bort, IIRC, that they're putting it back in and tacking it onto the new Rep Passive in that slot. They said it should be part of the next update to Tribble, but aren't sure when Tribble will get that update.

So that whole issue is now a non-issue. Pay attention for the Tribble Update and make sure it actually makes it in and isn't overlooked or bugged. But other than that ... the rotating frequency is back.

EDIT: Went and found the post. It was indeed Borticus:
    leod198 wrote: »
    Hawk, What about your promise to revisit removal of Rotating Weapon Frequency ????
    We have now done so. We were considering other options, but in the end we chose to just roll the old bonus in with the new one. So now the T4 Omega Graviton proc will also slow down Borg adaptation, in addition to the new Kinetic damage proc.

Not sure when this change will appear on Tribble, but it's been made internally.

So there you go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Thing of it is, though, I have yet to hear someone actually argue pro 'scalable indefinitely.'
    Well here it is then. The current system is scalable indefinitely, as long as the concept isn't loaded down with the unreasonable requirement that all level 50 players be equal to one another.

The current system rewards rep progression objectively and under all circumstances. It is always advantageous for players to complete more tiers. And it would always be advantageous no matter how many reps are added. This, of course, is why the whiners want it nerfed. They don't want to do the reps, but don't want to be left behind by others who do.

In the new system, rep progression is advantageous only if there is something you want in it. Since you can no longer get more bonuses, just different ones, completing tiers is no longer guaranteed to benefit you. The problem with "options" as a reward is they may not be any better than what you already have.

When this goes live, all players will have to consider "is the new rep worth doing." Some, like me, will be considering it for the first time.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    I hate this nerf... I really do. For 2 reasons:

1) They're just telling us they will add more reputation grind in the future. Which means more power creep that buries PvP to the ground.

2) Reputations are boring now, it's time to move on and make us do other things. Seriously, cryptic guys are creative I'm sure they can come up with something else that people will have fun grinding for. No more holdings, no more reputation.

That is an interesting take on the change... pretty much every other PvP player sees this the way I do. This helps PvP quite a bit. 1) it allows new players / ALTS to slot the basics much easier. 2) It doesn't force PvP players to do new reps at all to keep up... as new reps come out if they don't have passives or actives you feel a need to switch to for PvP you can skip them completely if you want.

We know they are not going to stop doing Reps... at least now we can take our alts that may only have omega and rom done orsomething and slot the passives and be pretty much on par with the people that have 5/5/5/5/5/5/5 done.

I agree I would prefer some better PvE content... and hey things like the old 4-5 Mission Weekly series didn't really effect PvP much... or at least things like breen clusters ect where easy to grab if you really wanted one. I can live with reps if they are not always REQUIRED. Which is what this change means to PvP for the most part I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • christopher757christopher757 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I say just boycott star trek online, if we can get people to stop playing it will hurt the business.!!!
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Already been announced by Bort, IIRC, that they're putting it back in and tacking it onto the new Rep Passive in that slot. They said it should be part of the next update to Tribble, but aren't sure when Tribble will get that update.

So that whole issue is now a non-issue. Pay attention for the Tribble Update and make sure it actually makes it in and isn't overlooked or bugged. But other than that ... the rotating frequency is back.

EDIT: Went and found the post. It was indeed Borticus:

So there you go.

Hmmm sounds like they must of read my description, of what would happen without it.

Good to know it is considered to stay put.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• crownvic351crownvic351 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Point of the matter is we spent all this time working on grinding this out. Got where we want to be just to have them come out and tell you that they are taking it away and giving us 4-5 useable space rep skills at one time. They try to make the nerf sound peachy and people fall for it.. Now stick with me here for a sec.....

Take a slow ship that can't cloak. They are going to have to choose between doing a little extra damage or take the majority of the heal and shield skills just to try to survive. This means they can not put out as much damage as before, and will have a much harder time fighting off attackers. Now take a BOP or other ship that can cloak. Now they take all bonus damage rep skills. So now cloaking ship gets 4 rep damage bonus skills, decloaking bonus all boffs that add to that damage, alpha, omega or any other pattern that adds damage, and still gank attacks that slow ship. If that ship survives it is already at a disadvantage in being badly damaged, now it has to try to heal its self and mount a attack. By that time the cloaking ship is making another attack run and that slow ship gets taken out, and we are back to square one. People getting alpha ganked and spawn camped and the complaining will still continue.

I personaly feel that we keep the current set of rep skills, omega, dyson, romulan, and nukra just how they are with out forcing u to pick between them. Now with any new rep things they want to throw in we should be allowed to only pick one rep skill in those. If you want to make them changeable out of combat that's fine too. Just don't take away what people have worked so hard for again..
  • jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    I like the new system ... Not only because it will level the playing field somewhat between "vets"(read: olde farts who hate change) and "newbs" (read: fresh players who are just starting out"

I am really sick and tired of hearing this pathetic EXCUSE for penalizing "old farts" who put in the time, effort, and grind to EARN the reputation abilities and powers they have.

When I started this game several years ago and began playing STF's, etc I honestly felt useless. My ship, was blowing up more often than not. Sure I envied those older players who had the muscle. Did I whine to Cryptic to make them weaker so I'd 'feel' equal? No. Instead I made the effort to become their equal. So yes, I strongly resent having these abilities and powers I EARNED taken away and limited to make newer players "feel better'.

You want to play with the big boys? You want to feel their equal? Put in the grind we did and EARN IT!
    edited March 2014
    jimtkirk wrote: »
    bendalek wrote: »
    When I started this game several years ago and began playing STF's, etc I honestly felt useless. My ship, was blowing up more often than not. Sure I envied those older players who had the muscle.

Several years ago is not specific enough.

Was it several years ago, and thus before F2P and before the reputation grind?

If so, it wasn't muscle that they had. You were dying because the content was glitchy and filled with bugs and the vets just knew the workarounds on how to avoid those bugs because it was taking Gozer way too long to fix the mess he created.

Or was it several years ago, after the reputation grind was put in?

If so, it again wasn't muscle. It was just people who already got the drops going back in and doing old content for the new upgraded drops. So they just had the gear already tuned for the fight.

Either way your view was skewed by the way the system was built (buggy and glitched) or the way the system was eventually tweaked (so "vets" already had their drops and that was all that separated you).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    "Yo, you slap me and I'll slap you back!"
    -- EPMD, Get the Bozack

With those 5 words Eric and Parrish Making Dollars set the rap industry ablaze in the late 1980s.

And now it's time for you, yes you, to stand up and remix that sentiment fellow STO player.

You see Cryptic has slapped you in the face yet another time. Those dastardly devs are just rock em sock em roboting you right in the kisser. Tossing a cream pie right in your face like you are a clown and this is a 1960s kids show. Some of you are getting slapped in the face and you don't even know it!

But fear not. For the righteous and upright among you have finally had enough.

No more slaps!

It's time to slap back!

What am I talking about? Well, in caes you missed it, I'm talking about Gozer's dev blog about the changes to reputation powers. The blog where they nerf you, every last one of you, of your hard earned powers. And take away all that was good and useful about the reputation system.

Or to quote a fellow STO player:

"Anyone trying to defend this by saying it's not a nerf is an idiot. ... this change is a slap in the face to those of us who have put the time in."

Needless to say, the overwhelming response from those of us who have taken this slap right to the meaty part of the cheek is that this means Rep Grinding is dead.

That's right. You heard it. Dead. Gone. Bye bye. There's no longer any incentive whatsoever to grab another queue, sink another mark or buy another hypo.

Inspired by this post, I have brain stormed with the finest minds the playerbase has to offer and hand crafted a response for all of us!

Now I'm not saying we boycott Cryptic, or anything as crazy as that.

I'm saying we take passive, but keen and wholehearted resistance! We slap them in the face for once, with our skills!

Yes, that's right, I'm advocating we show just how much incentive the rep system lacks by getting rid of every last vestige of it from our characters!

Like Public Enemy in the summer of 1989, we fight the powers that be, and here's what we do ...

We just de-equip all reputation gear. Every last bit of it. No more Maco set. No more Honor Guard set. No more Kinetic Cutting Beam. No more gravimetric photons. None. Nada. Zilch!

Take all of the gear you've gotten from it and put it in your bank to rot.

Go set-free! In protest!

Let Cryptic know you'll never use this junk again and never do anything ever to get another piece of this junk. You're tired of being slapped in the face. So break the chains and free yourself from your gear. No more Cutting Beams! No more Gravimetric Torps! All of it, gone. In the bank to rot.

Or if you're super zealous, just discard it. Send all of it to vapor land. And be done with this whole mess of a system. Stand tall, stand proud, rep free!

Also when this change goes live, don't even equip any traits. Leave them slots EMPTY!

Rise up folks! Remove all traces of this tainted time sink from your character!

We stand together and we slap you back!

Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Meh... I've taken so many "slaps" by now that I've become numb to them...

The first one was when I lost 60% of my marks worth in the Dil conversion in season 5... Since then... meh...

Guess I'm used to it by now.... Witch is also the reason I don't give them money anymore.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What is it Ensign?

It's the sarcasm detector its, its...

Spit it out man...

It exploded sir, just exploded. Poor Ensign Cartwright, and he only had three days left on his tour.....
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We slap them in the face for once, with our skills!!

Someone is off his meds....
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll list some of the things I get truly upset about and fight back on.

In Delaware, an heir to the Dupont family was convicted of molesting his 3 yr. old daughter and given 8 years probation because the judge said "he would not fare well in prison".

In San Francisco's Mission District a young man was shot and killed by police for allegedly pointing a stun gun at cops, though eye witness accounts say he was holding a burrito and his stun gun was in the holster.

In the United States there has been more oil spilled from train wrecks in 2013 than the previous 40 years and yet they are not broadcast on the news.

The US spends more money on maintaining it's prison population in one year than it has on rehabilitation in the last 20.

I protest and get worked up over real world issues, not perceived slights made against me and my imaginary video game characters.

I, personally, just can't get worked up over something that has not altered the quality of life for anyone.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really fail to see this as a bad thing. This will help balance in the game.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
    edited March 2014
    I really fail to see this as a bad thing. This will help balance in the game.

Yes, because what we really need is more sarcasm.

[meta sarcasm detector explodes....and Yeoman Drake was only 3 days away from retirement]
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh.

Snap.

I got played by a professional.

Ignore my indignant response, lol.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I am too old to understand the rap references. Yup, I missed the whole rap thing, and I'm strangely fine with that.
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2014
    I am too old to understand the rap references. Yup, I missed the whole rap thing, and I'm strangely fine with that.

You didn't miss much. :P
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am a pure STO player.

I use nothing considered OP at all. I use no lockbox ships, consoles, weapons, doffs...in fact my toon just floats in space and chews on the hulls of enemies.

I don't use a kit anymore, now we can choose our abilities kits are OP.
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    What is it Ensign?

It's the sarcasm detector its, its...

Spit it out man...

It exploded sir, just exploded. Poor Ensign Cartwright, and he only had three days left on his tour.....

I'm not saying this response is from STO 2016, but ...

If you'd have equipped your passive trait from T4 Betazed Rep, you could have resisted some of my quatloo rep's MK XVI sarcasmic pulse cannon damage!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014

quatloo rep's MK XVI sarcasmic pulse cannon

Now that sounds like something from Barbarella......

Oh no, Duran Duran is threatening us with the Sarcasmotron.......
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, in caes you missed it, I'm talking about Gozer's dev blog about the changes to reputation powers.
    gozer no longer works at cryptic studios

try again
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ogitalogital Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only thing that will make me boycott them will be a Level Cap increase. This will immediately trigger a boycott for good on my part.

However, I am ok with the changes to the Reputation System as proposed at the Moment.
    I came to explore foreign Galaxies, and now I'm hunting Rabbits
    edited March 2014
    Oh my God

What is it now Ensign.

It's the sarcasm detectors again sir.

They've exploded?

No, they all suddenly seem to have stopped working.

How long will it take to fix them.

Four days sir, and poor Lietenant Harris is only three days away from his wedding.....
  • kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I cannot even finish any of the reputations because they are so very time consuming, I don't have any reputation gadgets to sacrifice.