What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #1: A New Accord

Comments

• Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why is it that we can't actually fly INTO ESD? We saw it in the movie, so it would be really nice to actually fly around inside and then dock.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the new earth space dock is on tribble and it looks great so far the only thing is i wish they would do the captains table over and that space station near the dry docks that you cant visit wish that was were the ship selector and ship tailor was located other than that esd is looking great ....
  • Options
    sarkonissarkonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm hoping there will be some PvP content in S9/ close after release. It is the only part of the game that has not seen anything in 4 years.

I know there was some mentions of it in previous dev-blogs. There are some MMO's coming out that have that as a major part of them. I don;t want it so people can ruin others days (Like Eve). Just some balacing and more content. There is nothing more challenging than fighting another player.
  • Options
    feru82feru82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Almar
  • Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please fix Pvp. No more vapers please. Since when could a brel kill anything is one pass? Please un-nerf science. A2B needs to go, or at least the things that make it broken. Pleade make pvp so ANYONE can do it, not just the elites.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wish I could say I'm looking forward to it, but sadly I'm not. Probably because I'm almost certain there's gonna be SOME form of alt-unfriendly grind involved, at the very least with a new Undine Reputation. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a new fleet holding as well, or something along those lines. Not to mention, even more "totally not P2W" Lock Box/Lobi stuff that'll increase the power creep and keep killing PvP further and further.

*sigh*
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I thought the BS with the undine was already solved earlier on in the storyline.

Wasnt Season 9 meant to be a major PvP update?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So going forward we will pretty much be getting a single mission as story content, and a new battle zone good only for grinding the new rep? That seems horribly limited. I was under the impression that we were going to be getting the Delta Quadrant as well as the Krenim, but from the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if this was season 8 all over again, and the Krenim are part of the new Expansion. Another playable race being called a faction without actually being a faction.

Given how nice the new ESD looks, even in its unfinished stage, I really hope that the go back and redesign Deep Space 9 next. Considering that it's one of the stations most prominently depicted, DS9 could use a lot of love. I would love to see it get a revamp of this magnitude, making it more scaled to players, as well as more accurate to the show. With how the lounge area is set up, Quark's could finally be made into part of the actual map rather than being it's own instance.

Even though the undine are currently the bad guys for Season 9, will there be any chance of love for the Borg? Or more specifically the liberated Borg Captains?
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1048701
    The thread here shows that most people would love to get a mostly Visual update, and with the mention a while back of upcoming additions to the LTS, this might be a good place to start, especially if you're going to be playing around in the tailor already.

While i'm hoping Season 9 is more than an episode and a grind zone, I AM looking forward to the revamping of the Kits, as well as the inclusion of the Armor in the tailor. Would it be possible to drop the Voth, MACO, and Omega sets into this category as well? Some of the base armors would look amazing as the underlay for the Maco armor pieces, plus it would get rid of three unnecessary tailor categories.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I thought the BS with the undine was already solved earlier on in the storyline.

Wasnt Season 9 meant to be a major PvP update?
    According to something I read at the STO wiki site, Season 8 was intended to be the start of adding in new PvP content.

:: LINK ::
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content
    1.1 Revamp of PvP System

(To happen gradually after launch of Season 8 [18][20][21], main focus will be on space gameplay at first [7], has been given priority over Foundry improvements [3])
    • STO will be first game to implement a new PvP engine developed by Cryptic [20]
    • PvP-faction for the Reputation System [18][22][23], "PvP Marks" as rewards [24]
    • All PVP in the new system will be cross faction queues [25]
    • Matchmaking, e.g. matching people of comparable gear level [26]
    • Rewards based on participation more than completion [27]
    • PvP ratings/leaderboard tech is now available [28][16][26][29]
    • Either replacing current PvP maps or revamping the existing ones [30]
    • Transferring existing PvE maps (Facility 4028 amongst others) to ground PvP maps, possibly with capture-the-flag mod [31][32]
    • King of the Hill PvP map for space and/or ground [33][32]
    • Ground combat may have Battleground-style development in long-term [28]
    • Possible: Starbase PvP Challenges [34]
    • Fleet vs Fleet (KDF vs FED) territory control game ("controlling and or harvesting a vast variety of resources") [8][35] [33][9]
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So going forward we will pretty much be getting a single mission as story content, and a new battle zone good only for grinding the new rep? That seems horribly limited. I was under the impression that we were going to be getting the Delta Quadrant as well as the Krenim, but from the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if this was season 8 all over again, and the Krenim are part of the new Expansion. Another playable race being called a faction without actually being a faction.

Given how nice the new ESD looks, even in its unfinished stage, I really hope that the go back and redesign Deep Space 9 next. Considering that it's one of the stations most prominently depicted, DS9 could use a lot of love. I would love to see it get a revamp of this magnitude, making it more scaled to players, as well as more accurate to the show. With how the lounge area is set up, Quark's could finally be made into part of the actual map rather than being it's own instance.

Even though the undine are currently the bad guys for Season 9, will there be any chance of love for the Borg? Or more specifically the liberated Borg Captains?
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1048701
    The thread here shows that most people would love to get a mostly Visual update, and with the mention a while back of upcoming additions to the LTS, this might be a good place to start, especially if you're going to be playing around in the tailor already.

While i'm hoping Season 9 is more than an episode and a grind zone, I AM looking forward to the revamping of the Kits, as well as the inclusion of the Armor in the tailor. Would it be possible to drop the Voth, MACO, and Omega sets into this category as well? Some of the base armors would look amazing as the underlay for the Maco armor pieces, plus it would get rid of three unnecessary tailor categories.

They're completely redoing the Borg and Undine Arcs for Season 9. I assume the one new FE is to make sure the team is around to fix and make the older stories actually fit the plot (which they no longer do).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Firstly I hate ESD, not for the map itself, but for the community that seems to live there that never stop complaining about things like US Politics (1. I don't care for politics, 2. I keep local chat up so I can help people, 3. I especially don't care about US politics as I live in Europe), thank the goddess for ignore.

But my main worry with this update is Kits. Making them customizable (not appearance) is going to be a terrible thing by allowing people to combine all the most powerful abilities into 1, throwing out all the balance and probably forcing kit prices up (thanks again for nerfing the foundry item drop system by the way, because exchange prices keep climbing, and ways to get EC are constantly dropping). While this means ground combat will be more fun, I can't help but see the PvPers complaining (I hear they already do about the Tactical's ground cloak). For me all it means is a longer, more boring time as I will have to spend more time staring at a shop to buy my powers.

However, if kit's are just having their appearance able to be customised (along with KDF versions (still have no idea why they never had their own kit designs)) then I fully support it, as some part's of kits can look really good, but can be ruined by another part.

On the 8472 front, they always seemed neglected (not to mention the use of shields on their starships, got to assume they are just the most active regeneration) lacking real use in missions (a few times at fed start, then a few times at levels 48-50) and lacking a full set of starships (8472 lack fighters, much like the Borg, Hirogen and Cardassians).

The 8472 battlezone sounds interesting, but only if the rewards can compare to those of the Dyson battlezone (the dilithium and marks rewards are what keep people coming).

My biggest worry though is yet ANOTHER reputation, doing the 4 at the moment, even with the double XP tokens is a chore (except Dyson, which progresses quickly and doesn't cost over 2 million EC or endless grinding to get enough marks to buy anything (specific issue for this one would be the Romulan Rep)). Apart from being another form of grind, what could a new rep offer? More elite level gear? That would seem pointless as the current sets have pretty much all bases covered. More passive buffs? Oh wait, they are all covered already (Rom for shields, Nukara for hull, Omega for regeneration and Dyson for resists).

The new lockbox (almost inevitably a Delta species) is neither here nor there for me, the odds of getting anything bar a mini doff pack or item of lesser value + 4 lobi are so low i've pretty much given up opening them.

Hopefully the new FE (Feature Episode) will be a full episode rather than the 2 missions (the rest were just go here to see the dyson sphere adventure zone missions) we got with Season 8 (and 8.5).

As a suggestion, the DS9 mission arc would benefit the most from an upgrade as it is starting to look tired (along with federation ship interiors) alongside the visually beautiful missions from Legacy Of Romulus onwards.

As a final note to this giant block of text I am sure nobody will have read, I personally think the Iconians should be a large, all female, species. If nothing else, it would make them drastically different from the largely male-centric Cardassians, Dominion, Hirogen, Voth?, Breen?, and Nausicaans.

P.S. The Foundry could do with some love, the Voth are barely implemented (no NPCs), many NPC outfits don't exist (e.g. ALL Romulan Republic uniforms and any armor like Honor Guard or MACO), a dreadnought only spawn (with difficulty scaling with player number) would be nice, as it currently takes 4 players to get a Dreadnought with a pitiful 150k health. Not to mention most maps are outdated (which can be nice as it actually makes them unique) and it would be nice to have the new ones.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Question: Why doesn't ESD have a transwarp gate like our fleet bases?
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    ....but, you can park your ship anywhere.

Who cares. Just have fun.

Second, I think Season Nine has to be the smallest update we have had in a long time.

"Seasons" in STO are supposed to be more than just story content (and "content" can be defined as more than just questlines or mission arcs), they are major technical branches. Featured Episodes are just that. Episodes. They can be introduced during a Season, but they are not the Season. Typically when episodes are featured for a Season, it is because it utilizes some tech that was introduced with that Season's technical branch.

There are at least 3 major technical advancements happening during Season 9: One being the modular kits, along with the costume details that will allow us to add kit and armor visuals to our actual captain and BOff costumes. Ship-wise, the Raider flanking bonuses and another being secondary deflector slots for science vessels. (Although since the ship updates were introduced in Season 8, these may still show up as Season 8 updates before the end of April)

Map/environment/gameworld-wise, the ESD revamp is content. The upcoming Undine Assault queued event is no doubt a lead-in to whatever is supposed to be happening with this new "Accord".

And this is just what has been revealed so far. Season 9 isn't supposed to arrive until the end of April so that's like a month and a half away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fadmbambam wrote: »

You can transwarp to ESD or what do you mean?
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why is it that we can't actually fly INTO ESD? We saw it in the movie, so it would be really nice to actually fly around inside and then dock.

it would very crowded. Plus a lot of ships cannot even fit in there.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But my main worry with this update is Kits. Making them customizable (not appearance) is going to be a terrible thing by allowing people to combine all the most powerful abilities into 1, throwing out all the balance and probably forcing kit prices up (thanks again for nerfing the foundry item drop system by the way, because exchange prices keep climbing, and ways to get EC are constantly dropping). While this means ground combat will be more fun, I can't help but see the PvPers complaining (I hear they already do about the Tactical's ground cloak). For me all it means is a longer, more boring time as I will have to spend more time staring at a shop to buy my powers.

However, if kit's are just having their appearance able to be customised (along with KDF versions (still have no idea why they never had their own kit designs)) then I fully support it, as some part's of kits can look really good, but can be ruined by another part.

Kit customization is being able to select your own powers.

Old kits will not be changed, all new kits you buy/loot will be changed.

All kit visuals are now in the tailor and can also be used by KDF.

Check the tribble forums this is all on there.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Updated Earth space dock this can only mean one thing....season 9 story chain will take place at Earth space dock.>.><.<
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They're completely redoing the Borg and Undine Arcs for Season 9. I assume the one new FE is to make sure the team is around to fix and make the older stories actually fit the plot (which they no longer do).

I'm hoping so, especially given that the Undine already have ways to the alpha quadrant, as well as their space (in our universe) was a small corridor through the heart of Borg territory.

My main hope is that the borg get some love to keep them on par with the Undine, but that the liberated Borg get some much needed visual updates as well. For how expensive they are to play, they could really use way more than what they got. I'm not asking for LoR status, but the list in the OP of that link gives a good general idea of what some of the players would like to see done with them.

Even from a lore standpoint, the Borg came back even more advanced, and even harder to liberate, so it would be nice to get more options for the players to show that visually on their Liberated Captains.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can transwarp to ESD or what do you mean?

I think they mean an actual physical transwarp gate like our starbase does, or like the one above New Romulus or in Battle Group Omega.

According to "Needs of the Many" our transwarp drives are simply connected to an over-all 'hub' (although this is ambiguous), and maybe the fleet starbase's transwarp gate was an indication that other starbases would have transwarp gates.

I think ESD needs a transwarp gate or two, and more than one zone-in and zone-out points.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow, that's pretty short time for a full season to release. That's great, I can't wait to play the new episode and see how the improvements to ESD work into the story (if they do). Maybe ESD gets attacked, and they have to rebuild significant portions of it?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    Wow, that's pretty short time for a full season to release. That's great, I can't wait to play the new episode and see how the improvements to ESD work into the story (if they do). Maybe ESD gets attacked, and they have to rebuild significant portions of it?

I hope the Undine destroy the zone chat communications relay beyond repair.

Permanently.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Oh and would you kindly thank the Dev that beamed into the new ESD as the Elite Gorn tactical drone and thank him for shooting me in the back! lol

That was an Elite Gecko Tactical Captain Drone :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »

Permanently.

And miss all the Gorn jokes and theology discussions?
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I've argued that there shouldn't be a transwarp to ESD at all, since that seems like an extremely easy way to breach Federation (or KDF) defenses. Just hop on the transwarp superhighway and BAM! Earth (or QonoS) is surrounded! But this is a game and people need their hearthstone back to a safe "home" base, so there you go.

In all likelihood, the transwarp gate would probably be at Wolf 359 since that is a known exit point from the Borg Transwarp Network that the Federation (and KDF) have commandeered. From there, it's still close enough to Sol for people who know how to get there, but random invading aliens of the week who might only know the general sector where Sol is, it might take them long enough to find it that the Federation can mount a defense before they get there. Now, I would *also* at least place some automated defense systems or outpost there, maybe an alarm system to give the nearby star systems a heads up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Permanently.

I would pay for an expansion like that.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've argued that there shouldn't be a transwarp to ESD at all, since that seems like an extremely easy way to breach Federation (or KDF) defenses. Just hop on the transwarp superhighway and BAM! Earth (or QonoS) is surrounded! But this is a game and people need their hearthstone back to a safe "home" base, so there you go.

In all likelihood, the transwarp gate would probably be at Wolf 359 since that is a known exit point from the Borg Transwarp Network that the Federation (and KDF) have commandeered. From there, it's still close enough to Sol for people who know how to get there, but random invading aliens of the week who might only know the general sector where Sol is, it might take them long enough to find it that the Federation can mount a defense before they get there. Now, I would *also* at least place some automated defense systems or outpost there, maybe an alarm system to give the nearby star systems a heads up.

Backstory establishes that the Federation has a Transwarp network of their own now. I would assume the gate isn't actually at Earth though. Probably Neptune or Pluto under heavy heavy guard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    To me this is squandered resources. The new ESD looks fantastic, but why does Cryptic have the time and money to do things over and over again, but not the time and money to do things right the first time?

Well... at least fix the bugs we keep submitting....
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Permanently.
    I would sell my soul for an expansion like that.
    shpoks wrote: »

Agreed.

Hey, devs, I have one slightly-used soul, that I am willing to offer on a fixed-term lease with an expiration date yet to be determined in exchange for a permanent end to the trolls in ESD zone chat and its insanity.

Yes, it's a pipe dream. I'm still offering the soul.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

I'd pay for 2 expansions, say Arc is the greatest invention for the internet since TCP/IP, buy several shares of stock in PWE, and then buy Tacofangs lunch every day for a month.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Humm.. so season 9 before the middle of the year..

then will be the summer event.

(better ask for what you want to hopefully see there NOW...Interior for the Risian Corvette -usable on any ship!- pretty plrease.. from the orions... they keep smaking body parts on bits of Klingon ship interiors and carrying a flashlight around is getting old!.. and how about surfing on Risa.. I just gotta see a Gown in all thier magesty on a long board hanging ten.. or 8 as the case may be...)

so we can possibly be seeing season 10 by the end of the year..

On other issues..

Still somewhat... irritated... wasn't there supposed to have been a new KDF super ship that came out when the GalX revamp came out.. did someone FORGET.. AGAIN!???

And Cryptic.. I still don't get the concept of a "Casual" play MMO... like, really guys just what the frack does that mean?... If you playa half doaen MMO's at the same time right sure makes sense... But if your going to get any of the goodies in a MMO.. you are NOT going to be "casually" playing it... Not if you ever want to get any of the goodies around here before YOU THE DEV TEAM.. "revise" the content..

*mutters unhappily*

oh.. and just as an aside.. I really DO NOT LIKE griping about this games lacks... I really don't...
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds