Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #1: A New Accord

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ak255 wrote: »
    Also, from what I read, it seems that the Community Manager made the Devs do everything that they did for this season update from saying things like "I dared the team to make ESD look better". Wouldn't it had sound better if "I told the team how much players don't like the look of ESD and they responded!". Seems like the Community Manager is only reporting his problems rather than ours.

Stephen D'Angelo has a documented history of communication gaffes. Which doesn't really matter, since STO itself has evolved into an anti-information mindset. With the problems with the forums, information being spread about multiple fronts, instead of being condensed and thrown into an easily-accessed digest on the website or forum, and what have you... this isn't surprising.

The ability for the employees at Cryptic/PWE to communicate to its playerbase effectively, efficiently, and intelligently is no longer regarded as important or a requirement, and has not been for some time.

That being said, at least there was some honesty in Stephen D'Angelo daring the Cryptic team to make ESD look better instead of lying about players wanting a new ESD. Considering it wasn't something I have seen demanded on the forums or in the game, or from my friends.

So at least he didn't lie and say it was something we've been asking for.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    timezarg wrote: »
    Cryptic has shown the ability to completely revamp sections of the game before. See: skill tree revamp. In fact, they changed it several times while working out the kinks.

The problem with PvP is that it's not just undeveloped, it's also been actively messed with via gimmick consoles, etc. The cleanest solution would be to completely separate PvP mechanics from PvE, so that traits for PvE (all those reputation grinds) don't affect PvP, and there's different gear for the two. That way, you aren't essentially forced to slog through uninteresting rep grind in order to remain competitive in PvP. They could even throw in a PvP-only reputation system with dilithium + mark bought goods for PvP use. . .though one would hope they'd keep it at one rep system.

pvp has not be touched in a long time, sure they revamp things however one thing has been consistent over the last 4 years is that pvp has barely been touched in the development sense. if they do this at some point then thats that, but i dont imagine it at any point though, but theres hope.

thats my point though, it needs to be ripped out as the old system is just botched and not salvageable and it needs to be rebuilt, that way PWE can run its own upgrades on it instead of trying to find a way of making this old system work. it is the only component on STO that was lef behind besides customer service.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Ok, I love you. Maj'qa!

I'll tell Bran and Smirk about your betrayal.

Then I am theirs all alone
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I think this is probably one of the most reasonable arguments I've heard, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. If LoR is the benchmark being set from here on out, with the previous time period being written off, would I be unreasonable for expecting more cosmetic and functionality overhauls to all the other areas like Andoria and Vulcan, in addition to their work on upcoming content?

Oh, I agree, those underused zones need something to be done with them. But I think as far as these ravamps go, its going to be like a doctor choosing between a guy with gunshot wound and a guy with a scrape. Critical areas are going to be addressed first. Personally, I want them to do something with the Bajor zone. But I can at least accept that the heavily trafficked underwhelming zones need the love first.

But I will say, they're making this more than just ESD. For instance, the remastered stories project their doing is going to be important. They've actually pulled the Borg and Undine missions in game for remastering (and unlike last time, completely pulled them from the mission menu). And thats important too. Some of the missions like "The Return" don't match up with what we have seen of the story in Legacy of Romulus.

So I think the dev's current strategy is "Fix what's broken and highly visible now." We're in Triage mode. I'm pray Vulcan, Andoria and Bajor get their love eventually, but I'm sure that the bigger picture needs areas like ESD, DS9 and the stories fixed before that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxxina wrote: »
    No it wasnt Revamped. It was only added some markers, you are here, and whats in next rooms . that not Revamp at all

well that goes to show you atleast have not been in the game long before LoR or your memory has lapsed to what ESD looked like when they added the new Bank/Exchange area and where the shipyard used to be compared to where it is currently on ESD that was the last revamp. The new one is wide open not hard to find things and looks like what a ESD from Star Trek should be, the signs that were added for LoR was not the revamp that people are talking about.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll tell Bran and Smirk about your betrayal.

Then I am theirs all alone

Curse yooooooooouuuu.....

I shall prevail! I shall have ALL of them! ALL!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited March 2014

But without War(tm) they would be forced to add... EXPLORATION to STO! Are you sure you would want that? :P
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    But without War(tm) they would be forced to add... EXPLORATION to STO! Are you sure you would want that? :P

Yes.

/10char.
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A New Accord, I sense a change is coming in the form of cross faction queuing and teaming..finally!
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    "A New Accord?" As in the Khitomer Accords? :D

I can't afford a New Accord right now, thanks.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Oh no, please don't throw me in that briar patch, suh. Anything but that.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "It’s important to me that the Star Trek Online team not only focus on the new. We also need to keep improving existing game play. To this end, the release includes numerous fixes and improvements, including a re-envisioning of Kit items and other valuable improvements that we’ll explain in detail in the coming weeks. "
    ..............................................................................
    Fix Defera ground battlezone as well then!
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    New Earth Spacedock is money. That's all I'm saying.

A new Accord though...that's what I'm talking about. Enough with the pointless war. Let's focus on the real threat.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    New Earth Spacedock is money. That's all I'm saying.

A new Accord though...that's what I'm talking about. Enough with the pointless war. Let's focus on the real threat.

Yeah, the Hur'q!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    One single episode? The rest more PvE Grind?...:mad:

Only positive seems to be the ESD makeover.

Sooner or later they will throw playable bioship into the game what will be the Coffin Nail to Star Trek in STO.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    One single episode? The rest more PvE Grind?...:mad:

Only positive seems to be the ESD makeover.

Sooner or later they will throw playable into the game what will be the Coffin Nail to Star Trek in STO.

Seriously, this is my biggest problem recently.

It used to be that we would get a whole FEATURED SERIES a few times a year! 1 Episode a week for FIVE WEEKS! Can you imagine that these days?

God, I miss those days... they were so awesome...
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't afford a New Accord right now, thanks.

That was good. Anyway... Coming back from Tribble, I can confirm that the new ESD is perfectly-sized, and looks really good. There are a few NPC-placeholders sitting around, and some unfinished parts, but it already looks quite stunning, from the new-style transporter room, interior ship space, and glowing Starfleet logo waterfall, to the tailor's shop, the (not-yet-complete) shuttlebay next to the new outreach commodity requisitions office, and little changing room things behind the requisitions area. Oh, and the rooms aren't stupidly large. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm not on Tribble; what else is coming? An Undine space zone? Another rep grind?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Honda Motor Company?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about this game. Season 9 sounds like it's going to be great!
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    Pvp updates?.......

Sometimes around Season 19, if STO will last that long... lol
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about this game. Season 9 sounds like it's going to be great!

This^^^^

Even if it has only one FE and a bunch of grind, I think that it will be well worth it. End the Fed-KDF war!
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looking forward to it as long as there is no Undine lockbox also released with playable Undine ships. Some species ships need to remain unplayable for them to keep their feel as super villains.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    atronach1atronach1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Id like to point out 2 things,

1. A new accord sounds like another cross faction alliance so why dont you just get rid of the war thats going on because really we never see anything of it anyways all i keep seeing is alliances so please just get rid of it.

2. with the new looks of ESD i have to say yeah it look ok but it looks like a huge shopping mall where are the corridors and the star trek esc feel to it expect all the logos that remind me im not playing MMO online but Star trek online?
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    "A New Accord?" As in the Khitomer Accords? :D

I hope so.. and by that I mean more crossfaction content and stuff. :D
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Loving the new CEO!!!!

Go Angel guy!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I'm not on Tribble; what else is coming? An Undine space zone? Another rep grind?

We don't know.
    atronach1 wrote: »
    with the new looks of ESD i have to say yeah it look ok but it looks like a huge shopping mall where are the corridors and the star trek esc feel to it expect all the logos that remind me im not playing MMO online but Star trek online?

Last time I checked, the new ESD has MORE (visible) Starfleet and Federation logos than the old one. And why more corridors... Unlike the show, STO isn't limited to simple filming stages. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    We don't know.

Ah. OK.

Sure hope that there's a whole FE series, with VO, and only limited content expansion (there's quite a bit as it is, although a space battlezone or a return of the Terradome would be nice). And NO Undine lockbox.

The first three are sort of a pipe dream, but the last one is a biggie with me.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    atronach1 wrote: »
    Id like to point out 2 things,

1. A new accord sounds like another cross faction alliance so why dont you just get rid of the war thats going on because really we never see anything of it anyways all i keep seeing is alliances so please just get rid of it.

Dude ... That's what they're doing. ... Ending the war.

We're getting something like the Khitomer Accords that ended hostilities between Federation / Klingons back before TNG.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    engelenhartengelenhart Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1 new story related FE and multiple grind zones.

Bravo.

Yep, "the new accord" seems to be no new seasons with multiple episodes. I wasn't here before season 7, got very excited about all season 1-7 had to offer. Shooting dinosaurs? Not so much. And calling just 2 episodes season 8 and 8.5 was a big let down.