Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #1: A New Accord

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    voicesdark wrote: »
    As someone so completely disillusioned with the way STO was progressing under Dan Stahl that I actually stopped playing the game, I just want to say a very sincere thank you to Stephen D’Angelo for finally showing some direction as to where STO is headed. It's also really nice to see the team going through and taking care of a lot of the bugs that were ignored before as well.

i doubt stephen had ordered these changes, it was likely one of the last things stalh signed off on, it usually takes months for stuff lke this to get from the whiteboard to the game and stalh left sto at the start of the year.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxxina wrote: »
    For interior it is VALID observation

While I don't agree with Iconian on much so far, I have to give him/her the right on this one.

The previous ESD revamp (which was as Tacofangs suggested, a "bandaid fix") included among the following changes;

- Admiral Quinn's office relocated/rebuilt
    - New ship requisitions area
    - New banking area
    - New skill trainer/medical bay area

And yes, even the "new signs".

The new ESD on Tribble, is SORELY NEEDED. The current Holodeck version of ESD quite frankly: SUCKS! And has sucked since day 1, including the updates that were made to the map post-launch. The fact along that you need to run clear cross the entire station from for example Sickbay, just to get to the nearest mailbox/bank console, suggests that it's both cumbersome and tedious to navigate.

The new ESD will be far less complicated to navigate, with many functions existing in multiple locations (both bank and mail access, and possibly Exchange consoles). Contrary to belief, it is not cramped. Nor is it super-sized. It's "just right" (Goldilocks effect). After additional spit and polish, it will be a welcome update to Holodeck.

The dev blog mentions the following;
    The upcoming season will continue the story with a new feature episode, a space battlezone, and several fantastic pieces of queued PvE content that all tie this story arc together.

Might one inquire beforehand, what some of these new PVE queued content pieces might be? It's been rumored to include Undine STFs (something which is sorely needed), as well as a revamp on the Terradome STF. I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm incredibly tired of fighting Borg.
  • Options
    talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd love to know if devs are planning to replace standard Federation ship interiors using the Origin kit ?
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so....s9, the pvp season as stahl said, or has that been s2?:rolleyes: :D couldn't resist :(...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wast33 wrote: »
    so....s9, the pvp season as stahl said, or has that been s2?:rolleyes: :D couldn't resist :(...

He meant the forums will erupt with PvP over S9. :P
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sinnaj63 wrote: »
    People say they hate being spoilered by trailers and such. This is the first time a name spoilered.

Legacy of Romulus?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please please please let the new Battlezone be an open world PvP battlezone with both ground and space, similar to what we've seen Neverwinter get recently with Icewind Dale. That type of zone would completely revitalize this game for me. IMHO it would make a lot of people happy and bring STO a long way towards being able to compete with it's contemporaries many of whom have a robust PvP endgame available for those who enjoy PvP.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    when season 9 is out, i would say anything after that is stephens own choices. so finally coming to the make or break phase for stephen, see where he plans on taking sto.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I already love the new esd on tribble, very cool.:D
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Am i the only one having issues viewing the webpage, it turns up with a white background and everything moved to the right, etc. Is it because i am using Chrome?
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    I'd love to know if devs are planning to replace standard Federation ship interiors using the Origin kit ?

That is an idea I'd support.

A for the ESD, I am perfectly happy with its current iteration, not seeing the need for a revamp. However, I'm looking forward to seeing the new design. Bank and mail services in multiple locations certaintly sounds like a convenient addition.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    The new ESD on Tribble, is SORELY NEEDED. The current Holodeck version of ESD quite frankly: SUCKS! And has sucked since day 1, including the updates that were made to the map post-launch. The fact along that you need to run clear cross the entire station from for example Sickbay, just to get to the nearest mailbox/bank console, suggests that it's both cumbersome and tedious to navigate.

The new ESD will be far less complicated to navigate, with many functions existing in multiple locations (both bank and mail access, and possibly Exchange consoles). Contrary to belief, it is not cramped. Nor is it super-sized. It's "just right" (Goldilocks effect). After additional spit and polish, it will be a welcome update to Holodeck.

I suppose it depends on what 'needed' consists of.

If I was able to navigate ESD, if you were, if everyone on this forum was. Let me put it in a bigger perspective...

If everyone who currently plays the game was not able to figure out ESD, then we would not be here.

There is nothing confusing about a circular map. If you're extremely dumb or extremely intoxicated, you can have enough sense to run around in a complete circle until you find where you need to go. The circle (or sphere) is the most efficient shape in the universe.

And as I said, it could not possibly be that confusing if we are all here today after having figured out ESD. If we could use ESD and its functionality -- anyone could.

And if there are people who actually quit playing STO because ESD was confusing, then they are the kind of person who really should not be playing this game, because what will happen when they move onto different space stations and areas of the game?

If ESD is not idiot-proof enough, then they have no real hope of surviving in Star Trek Online beyond ESD.

To me this is squandered resources. The new ESD looks fantastic, but why does Cryptic have the time and money to do things over and over again, but not the time and money to do things right the first time?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    He meant the forums will erupt with PvP over S9. :P

english is not my mothertongue, so that one took a moment... but damn, i lol'd :D:). wanna fight undine? yay, fusion-tac-cube-lockbox-forum-pvp on the corner :D
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please please please let the new Battlezone be an open world PvP battlezone with both ground and space, similar to what we've seen Neverwinter get recently with Icewind Dale. That type of zone would completely revitalize this game for me. IMHO it would make a lot of people happy and bring STO a long way towards being able to compete with it's contemporaries many of whom have a robust PvP endgame available for those who enjoy PvP.
    Oh if it becomes open pvp I'd be so happy since I was totally all for that when they put in a simple open pvp system on tribble few years back. I'm down for a new pvp battle zone!
    genhauk wrote: »
    Yeap and yeap also to graphics card up to date.
    What I had to do was /renderscale 1 to get it up there. But I do have a very good graphics card so i can handle uber graphics load for now. If I have to do that on holodeck probably not lol.
    Am i the only one having issues viewing the webpage, it turns up with a white background and everything moved to the right, etc. Is it because i am using Chrome?
    I get this problem to on occasion. I've had to clear my cache and cookies for arcgames.com or just pop open IE11.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Season 9: A New Accord"

If I'm reading this right, this means you want to put an end to the Fed/KDF war.
    That means that you guys revamped one hell of a lot of the KDF content involving the war, right?
    Because otherwise you expect us to descend to a whole new level of stupid. You wouldn't do that to us, right? Right?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    There is nothing confusing about a circular map. If you're extremely dumb or extremely intoxicated...

Been there! :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Been there! :P

So have I. Was still able to get where I needed to go on ESD because the circle is the most efficient shape. If people get confused by a circular map... then really, there is no hope for them and they should uninstall the game and rethink their life decisions.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I suppose it depends on what 'needed' consists of.

If I was able to navigate ESD, if you were, if everyone on this forum was. Let me put it in a bigger perspective...

If everyone who currently plays the game was not able to figure out ESD, then we would not be here.

There is nothing confusing about a circular map. If you're extremely dumb or extremely intoxicated, you can have enough sense to run around in a complete circle until you find where you need to go. The circle (or sphere) is the most efficient shape in the universe.

And as I said, it could not possibly be that confusing if we are all here today after having figured out ESD. If we could use ESD and its functionality -- anyone could.

And if there are people who actually quit playing STO because ESD was confusing, then they are the kind of person who really should not be playing this game, because what will happen when they move onto different space stations and areas of the game?

If ESD is not idiot-proof enough, then they have no real hope of surviving in Star Trek Online beyond ESD.

To me this is squandered resources. The new ESD looks fantastic, but why does Cryptic have the time and money to do things over and over again, but not the time and money to do things right the first time?

First, i'd like to point out that I have no need to be declared as a dumb person, or otherwise moronic.

I found myself around the old (current) ESD just fine. It's just incredibly tedious having to often run from side of the station, to another just to do something, then return to where you were. I'll give you an example:

If i'm at Ship Requisitions, I buy a new ship. It needs X officer, which I don't currently have in my roster. I then need to leave Ship Requisitions (via turbolift, loading screen bs), run clear cross the station to either the recruitment area, or the Exchange (roughly equal distance from Requisitions, in opposite directions). Perhaps after obtaining the officer/skill that I needed, I decide I want to give my new ship a facelift (ship tailor). So I have to run all the way back to Requisitions, suffer through another (minor) loading screen because of the turbolift.

If functions such as the above were placed a bit more logically, you wouldn't need to run around as much. The new ESD is far more convenient in it's layout. It may not be "idiot proofed" by not being circular, but I found it to be alot easier to navigate, and faster to move from one area to another.
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2014

Heck, at this point I'd settle for just a few good maps for PvP use. Using the same 3 arena and 1 C&H maps all the time gets a little boring. Some more obstacle-filled maps like Cracked Planetoid or Briar Patch would be excellent. Or have other environmental effects.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

If I'm reading this right, this means you want to put an end to the Fed/KDF war.
    That means that you guys revamped one hell of a lot of the KDF content involving the war, right?
    Because otherwise you expect us to descend to a whole new level of stupid. You wouldn't do that to us, right? Right?

The war exists from the start of the game up to that point in the storyline. Then it will be over for toons above that.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Oh if it becomes open pvp I'd be so happy since I was totally all for that when they put in a simple open pvp system on tribble few years back. I'm down for a new pvp battle zone!

so am i, but pvp is in great need of a complete rebuilding from scratch. right now its not worth a damn to even consider the idea. never thought i would agree with the minority playerbase on pvp, but it should pulled out and rebuilt for STO fairly soon, it feels like there is some great potential here being lost otherwise.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

Actually, for the same reason that the romulan arc and Klingon war arc fed side is still around, different time frame. IT makes sense that time passes as you go thrgou each episode. The first one takes place in early 2409, and by "Boldly they rode" it is 2410 (the enterprise plaque has 2410 on it).

It is for the same reason that there are still raids in other MMO's that have enemies that are dead storyline wise.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    The war exists from the start of the game up to that point in the storyline. Then it will be over for toons above that.
    Actually, for the same reason that the romulan arc and Klingon war arc fed side is still around, different time frame. IT makes sense that time passes as you go thrgou each episode. The first one takes place in early 2409, and by "Boldly they rode" it is 2410 (the enterprise plaque has 2410 on it).

It is for the same reason that there are still raids in other MMO's that have enemies that are dead storyline wise.

I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about current, ongoing, end-game level content for the KDF. Like the Pi Canis daily raids. Like exploration clusters where we slaughter Starfleet. Like Kahless expanse. Like one crapload of Doff missions.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    First, i'd like to point out that I have no need to be declared as a dumb person, or otherwise moronic.

I found myself around the old (current) ESD just fine. It's just incredibly tedious having to often run from side of the station, to another just to do something, then return to where you were. I'll give you an example:

If i'm at Ship Requisitions, I buy a new ship. It needs X officer, which I don't currently have in my roster. I then need to leave Ship Requisitions (via turbolift, loading screen bs), run clear cross the station to either the recruitment area, or the Exchange (roughly equal distance from Requisitions, in opposite directions). Perhaps after obtaining the officer/skill that I needed, I decide I want to give my new ship a facelift (ship tailor). So I have to run all the way back to Requisitions, suffer through another (minor) loading screen because of the turbolift.

If functions such as the above were placed a bit more logically, you wouldn't need to run around as much. The new ESD is far more convenient in it's layout. It may not be "idiot proofed" by not being circular, but I found it to be alot easier to navigate, and faster to move from one area to another.

I need to apologize, I meant "you" in the collective sense.

I guess I simply do not see eye-to-eye with you. If the goal was to make ESD extremely navigable, then all Tacofangs would need to do is make ESD consist entirely of a transporter room with a wall of consoles surrounding it, each of them hooked up to the rest of the station. Go towards a console and you have the option to do anything on ESD from that menu. Now ESD consists of a 10x10 transporter room with a console that allows everyone to do anything.

That's about as idiot-proof as you can get. But in my opinion Star Trek Online should have navigation and exploration in every element. People should be encouraged by maps to go forth and travel and find locations and improve themselves as a result.

If anything, people running around aimlessly on ESD is still them playing the game, which pads PWE's population metrics that they're so fond of, why ruin it?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I think you have forgotten that Cryptic's original STO team was extremely small at launch. Its a miracle they got the game out on time at all. STO did not really come into it's own until after F2P. And it truly grew it's Riker Beard with Legacy of Romulus. Compare the two. Older areas made when this game was still in it's infancy are not as high quality.

Taco's said he's been pushing for this change for a very long time. This isn't a waste of resources. They want to get the rest of the game up to the standards set by LoR. That shows they care about this game and they want it to be the best it can be.

You ask why they don't have the time or money to do things right the first time? They did not have the time or money during the first two years of STO to do it right the first time. I don't see any of the Legacy of Romulus content ever getting a revamp and it was launched miles ahead of what STO put out at launch.

This is a matter of bringing the quality of the game up. Was the old ESD usable? Yeah. Was it how ESD should be? No. Even after the first revamp, it was still stuck in the initial launch design problems: rushed yet functional. It wasn't until the Enterprise-F was created that they finally decided on the aesthetics of this 2409 Starfleet. The Aquarius Bridge went on to influence the Fleet Starbase and Fleet Ground Weapons, which lead to the creation of the Origin Bridge and the 8.5 revamps of content.

This argument of it being a waste of resources is rubbish. They're rectifying the problems that have plagued the game since its rushed launch 4 years ago. Stahl once said that Legacy was what STO should have been at launch. They're still putting out new content with this and if they have the time to do this on top of it, go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really hope they're not going to throw the entire story of Season 9 into one mission. I don't have a problem with battlezones and grinders, but what I would prefer is stuff that advances the story.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Executive Producer Stephen D’Angelo reveals details on the upcoming release of Season 9: A New Accord in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

So, having read the blog it appears that you're only adding one new episode with Season 9?

Color me disappointed if that's true. Revamped episodes will be nice, especially if they fix the chronic bugs, but I was looking forward to more than just one piece of brand new story content with all the hints about advancing the plot in Season 9. I mean queued events are nice and all, but as a story-telling tool they're very lackluster even with voice-overs and cut-scenes.
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2014
    so am i, but pvp is in great need of a complete rebuilding from scratch. right now its not worth a damn to even consider the idea. never thought i would agree with the minority playerbase on pvp, but it should pulled out and rebuilt for STO fairly soon, it feels like there is some great potential here being lost otherwise.

Cryptic has shown the ability to completely revamp sections of the game before. See: skill tree revamp. In fact, they changed it several times while working out the kinks.

The problem with PvP is that it's not just undeveloped, it's also been actively messed with via gimmick consoles, etc. The cleanest solution would be to completely separate PvP mechanics from PvE, so that traits for PvE (all those reputation grinds) don't affect PvP, and there's different gear for the two. That way, you aren't essentially forced to slog through uninteresting rep grind in order to remain competitive in PvP. They could even throw in a PvP-only reputation system with dilithium + mark bought goods for PvP use. . .though one would hope they'd keep it at one rep system.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think you have forgotten that Cryptic's original STO team was extremely small at launch. Its a miracle they got the game out on time at all. STO did not really come into it's own until after F2P. And it truly grew it's Riker Beard with Legacy of Romulus. Compare the two. Older areas made when this game was still in it's infancy are not as high quality.

Taco's said he's been pushing for this change for a very long time. This isn't a waste of resources. They want to get the rest of the game up to the standards set by LoR. That shows they care about this game and they want it to be the best it can be.

You ask why they don't have the time or money to do things right the first time? They did not have the time or money during the first two years of STO to do it right the first time. I don't see any of the Legacy of Romulus content ever getting a revamp and it was launched miles ahead of what STO put out at launch.

This is a matter of bringing the quality of the game up. Was the old ESD usable? Yeah. Was it how ESD should be? No. Even after the first revamp, it was still stuck in the initial launch design problems: rushed yet functional. It wasn't until the Enterprise-F was created that they finally decided on the aesthetics of this 2409 Starfleet. The Aquarius Bridge went on to influence the Fleet Starbase and Fleet Ground Weapons, which lead to the creation of the Origin Bridge and the 8.5 revamps of content.

This argument of it being a waste of resources is rubbish. They're rectifying the problems that have plagued the game since its rushed launch 4 years ago. Stahl once said that Legacy was what STO should have been at launch. They're still putting out new content with this and if they have the time to do this on top of it, go for it.

I think this is probably one of the most reasonable arguments I've heard, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. If LoR is the benchmark being set from here on out, with the previous time period being written off, would I be unreasonable for expecting more cosmetic and functionality overhauls to all the other areas like Andoria and Vulcan, in addition to their work on upcoming content?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm REALLY hoping that some of the improvements they're talking about include updating the game engine! I hate having frame lag, sound drop, and invisible torpedoes in this game! It really needs some attention so we can have bigger fights and more players in a single zone.

Also, from what I read, it seems that the Community Manager made the Devs do everything that they did for this season update from saying things like "I dared the team to make ESD look better". Wouldn't it had sound better if "I told the team how much players don't like the look of ESD and they responded!". Seems like the Community Manager is only reporting his problems rather than ours.