test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intrepid Class Ships were Designed for Tactical use.

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The ships was a hospital ship, and had little firepower, so how about.....NO.

It was a hospital ship in the middle of a protracted war. Against the Klingons. Pretty sure it had to have more teeth than you are giving it credit for.

So I'm thinking a 5/1 weapon setup. And a Lt. Cmd Tactical BOFF.

What say you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It was a hospital ship in the middle of a protracted war. Against the Klingons. Pretty sure it had to have more teeth than you are giving it credit for.

So I'm thinking a 5/1 weapon setup. And a Lt. Cmd Tactical BOFF.

What say you?

I hope u kidding. 2/1 should be almost the right configuration for a hospital ship. More than that, i will remove 1 more weapon. 1/1. There are ships with no weapons at all, why a hospital ship will have so many weapon slots?? it makes no sense at all.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Captains, I have gotten a complaint that there are a lot of off-topic posts in this thread.

Please keep your posts on-topic. They should somehow relate back to the idea that the Intrepid might (or might not) be a Tactically-oriented starship in canon and how that is reflected in the game.

This thread was moved to the Federation Shipyards forum to reflect the topic.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • evilbsg62evilbsg62 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    intrepid was designed for exploration and was given the amount of firepower you would need to be ready for anything.

if you feel your intrepid isnt OP enough slot FAW and Spread
    Section 31Lane/Jeffjr/Varek @jeffjr USS Stadi/USS Grendel/USS AshigaruDreadnought Class Refit / Avenger Class Refit/Rhode Island Class Refit"With your shield or on it"/"Mors venit ad omnes."/"One with courage is a majority"https://www.youtube.com/@jeffjr84
    edited March 2014
    I hope u kidding.

Me? I never kid! I'm always serious!

;)
    why a hospital ship will have so many weapon slots?? it makes no sense at all.

Because in the timeline it comes from, it's a war ship providing front line medical support during a long and drawn out war with the Klingons.

Thus the 5/1. It's got the 5 up front to punch through to the injured. And the 1 in the back to poot poot as it races home with the injured.

That maintains the 6 weapons of an end-game science ship. But gives it the tactical prowess it needs to be a wartime surgeon. The Starship equivalent of a MASH unit. Beej and Hawkeye style!

I mean if the Voyager can be cited as being a tactical ship in canon just because it had more water than the entire Kazon nistrum, then I think the Oly can get some love to.

#showyaluv
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Specs:

Defiant: 1 quad cannon, 3 phaser arrays (2 side 1 aft), 6 torpedo launchers, power cells provide massive amount of energy necessary to fire quad cannon (used up very fast)

Galaxy: 10 phaser arrays (2 aft, rest almost full arc), 6 torpedo launchers

Intrepid: 18 phaser arrays (4 aft), 5 torpedo launchers, 2 cores to fuel massive amount of energy necessary to fire large number of phaser arrays (requires large amount of fuel)
    evilbsg62 wrote: »
    intrepid was designed for exploration and was given the amount of firepower you would need to be ready for anything.

So you're saying Tactical ships and Science ships should be rolled into one, and then there's Eng alone?:D
  • johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see that people are still dragging this off topic, the mod has warned people allready, lets keep this topic on track, I have said all i think needs saying in my previous posts.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    So you're saying Tactical ships and Science ships should be rolled into one, and then there's Eng alone?:D

Well a few things about that Input:

The NUMBER of weapons say little about the actual power of those weapons.
    So a ship with 2 arrays can still be stronger then one with 20.

Also: I kind of question that information. Memory Alpha (remember that MA might be very accurate about canon but as a Wiki TRIBBLE can be posted there,too. And not everything someone posts there is automatically canon.) or not, in actual CANON the Defiant did not have cannons AT ALL.
    What we call "quad cannons" are beams that had to be fired as impulses to prevent overcharging (The Search part 1 DS9 03X01. People should watch that episode, since it contains A LOT OF details about the Defiant). The weapons itself is nothing different then the usual phaser. Its just to big for the ship.
    edited March 2014
    johankreig wrote: »
    I see that people are still dragging this off topic, the mod has warned people allready, lets keep this topic on track, I have said all i think needs saying in my previous posts.

Yeah, but there's three other threads about this topic. So I'm not sure I myself can take the topic all that seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, but there's three other threads about this topic. So I'm not sure I myself can take the topic all that seriously.

But you are posting in all of them at the same time. Congratulations :D
    edited March 2014
    But you are posting in all of them at the same time. Congratulations :D

While I don't take things super serious, I do enjoy discussing Star Trek with my fellow STO players.

:)

So think of it like this:

- I don't think we'll ever see any action taken on any of the ideas presented in each of the threads.
    - It makes me giggle thinking of people lobbying for a Lt. Commander Tactical BOFF or tactical enhancements on the Intrepid, a ship clearly locked in by Cryptic since launch day as a science ship.
    - I love talking about the shows and the way things happened on screen.
    - I have an opportunity to make jokes about adding a second Lt. Commander Tactical BOFF to the Defiant because of how much hatred people have for the Ensign Tactical seat on that ship.
    - People made such a fuss about the Galaxy X coming from a timeline where it was at war with the Klingons so it has to be the Fed answer for the Scimitar, that I'm really just feeling out the whole Olympic comes from the same timeline thought. There's still the Warship Voyager from the skewed mythology future episode that could be grasped. Hey, let's do that.

So ok, forget EVERYTHING I said about the Olympic.

Let's make the WARSHIP Voyager.

5/2 weapons.
    Sensor Analysis AND can equip DHCs.
    Commander Universal. Lt. Commander Tactical.
    5 tactical consoles
    1 science consoles
    4 Engi Consoles

Comes with Plasmonic Leech Universal Console

I think we're onto something. Based on how the Doctor reacted to the way the ship was presented, I think my ideas are only scratching the surface of what Cryptic could do here.

Warship Voyager!

Make it happen!

#rebootyaluv
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    While I don't take things super serious, I do enjoy discussing Star Trek with my fellow STO players.

:)

So think of it like this:

- I don't think we'll ever see any action taken on any of the ideas presented in each of the threads.
    - It makes me giggle thinking of people lobbying for a Lt. Commander Tactical BOFF or tactical enhancements on the Intrepid, a ship clearly locked in by Cryptic since launch day as a science ship.
    - I love talking about the shows and the way things happened on screen.
    - I have an opportunity to make jokes about adding a second Lt. Commander Tactical BOFF to the Defiant because of how much hatred people have for the Ensign Tactical seat on that ship.
    - People made such a fuss about the Galaxy X coming from a timeline where it was at war with the Klingons so it has to be the Fed answer for the Scimitar, that I'm really just feeling out the whole Olympic comes from the same timeline thought.

I see that similar...
    There's still the Warship Voyager from the skewed mythology future episode that could be grasped. Hey, let's do that.

So ok, forget EVERYTHING I said about the Olympic.

Let's make the WARSHIP Voyager.

5/2 weapons.
    Sensor Analysis AND can equip DHCs.
    Commander Universal. Lt. Commander Tactical.
    5 tactical consoles
    1 science consoles
    4 Engi Consoles

Comes with Plasmonic Leech Universal Console

I think we're onto something. Based on how the Doctor reacted to the way the ship was presented, I think my ideas are only scratching the surface of what Cryptic could do here.

Warship Voyager!

Make it happen!

#rebootyaluv

I hope this Plasmonic leech universal works on other ships too, I really want to use it on my Deep Space nine mobile station.
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If I want information about the Defiant, I'll pull out my DS9 Tech Manual, which is Canon material as it was written by the creators, writers, and technical staff for the show.

As for the Intrepid, there is a tech manual out there for it, but it was never finished.

For those who want to discuss how many phaser arrays each ship had, its not hard to understand the numbers. They had to make sure that a majority of the blind spots would be covered.

Galaxy: didnt need very many as the design allowed for fewer, and larger, strips to be used.
    Defiant: Warship ('nuff said)
    Intrepid: Speed, Speed, Speed, and a LOT of blind spots when you break the design down, especially with the variable geometry nacelles (which were only a test to bypass the speed restriction of Warp 5 imposed by Star Fleet after it was shown that Warp travel was damaging the line between normal space and subspace. Later designs, and major modifications on others, were worked on as well.

Is it a Tactical ship? In short, No.

It was meant as a originally meant as a patrol, interceptor, harasser, get-to-this-spot-asap type of ship with enough maneuverability to go places most other ships couldn't. Throughout the Voyager Series, the ship and crew was redefined multiple times, but always came back to Star Fleets core Ethos of Exploration, Scientific Discovery, and meeting new Species/Civilizations.

Upon its return, the ship wasn't the same. It had gone from a short term patrol ship to the Long Range Recon vessel we have in STO. The ships we fly now were probably based upon what Voyager brought back, not the original intention of the design.

Now, as the Defiant was far more nimble than Voyager, it couldn't/wouldn't be allowed to chase after the Maquis for 2 major reasons.

1. Plot. The writers for ST couldn't let their toy be tied up with another series when they already had plans for it in DS9.

2. DS9 was its assigned territory. With the threat of the Dominion, it was needed there as a first line of Defense against a major assault/incursion.

Just as a side note: A majority of the vessels used during the Dominion War were mostly empty hulls. Spartan living quarters, sickbays, command and control systems, weapons and projectile storage, and other bare necessities needed to make the vessel combat ready were put in. Nothing Else. The ships that survived saw a complete fitting with everything usual for its class.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
    edited March 2014
    If I want information about the Defiant, I'll pull out my DS9 Tech Manual, which is Canon material as it was written by the creators, writers, and technical staff for the show.

ahhhm.... no.
    Canon: Onscreen
    Not onscreen: not canon. Even if it was written by Roddenberry himself. No matter how licensed.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well a few things about that Input:

The NUMBER of weapons say little about the actual power of those weapons.
    So a ship with 2 arrays can still be stronger then one with 20.

Also: I kind of question that information. Memory Alpha (remember that MA might be very accurate about canon but as a Wiki TRIBBLE can be posted there,too. And not everything someone posts there is automatically canon.) or not, in actual CANON the Defiant did not have cannons AT ALL.
    What we call "quad cannons" are beams that had to be fired as impulses to prevent overcharging (The Search part 1 DS9 03X01. People should watch that episode, since it contains A LOT OF details about the Defiant). The weapons itself is nothing different then the usual phaser. Its just to big for the ship.

Intrepid's phaser arrays are described as "comparable" to that of the Galaxy, even though no hard canon numbers are given, fueled by greater power generation from dual core necessary for class 9 warp drive's 9.975 sustained speed. Make what you will of it.;)
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ahhhm.... no.
    Canon: Onscreen
    Not onscreen: not canon. Even if it was written by Roddenberry himself. No matter how licensed.

"Only the reference books (tech manual, encyclopedia, etc...) and two books by Jeri Taylor are considered canon outside the TV show and movies." - Harry Lang, Senior Director of Viacom Consumer Products Interactive division, posts on*StarTrek.com*forum, January 2005."

If it was a novel, comic, or magazine, I would agree with you. But these are the reference materials that Roddenberry himself considered the Background of TNG and DS9.

Unless Cryptic/CBS has it posted somewhere else that contradicts what their Senior Director has said, I will continue to use the Tech Manuals as Canon material.

(An updated version for ship layouts during/after the Dominion War would make it easier than relying on Memory-Alpha/Beta.)

I'll see if I can dig up the Voyager Tech Manual and see how it compares to Memory Alpha/Beta when I get home.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
    edited March 2014
    I hope this Plasmonic leech universal works on other ships too, I really want to use it on my Deep Space nine mobile station.

Oh most definitely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    The Sovereign, Steamrunner, Norway, Sabre, and Akira classes were all constructed as Borg fighters.

other than the Sovereign, none of those were canonly created to fight the borg.
    edited March 2014

Pretty sure they were, as mentioned in some of the promotional buzz with First Contact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So after thinking about a while I do purpose a thought .

All ships should have universal boff slots . Noe it would vary based on what tier it was . But heres the twist . The ships would gain a book.us for its type.

For example
    A t1 Connie would get three uni boff slots plus it would get a bonus if you slotted a high ranking eng . Like +5 to hull repair
    A t5 Galaxy-r would get +10 to hull repair while a t5 Defiant would get +10 to weapons and +5 to engines if you slotted a commander and a lt cmder in to the boff slots .
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Game is in it's 4th year. Those kinds of changes don't happen to games this old.
    Actually, they do. The publisher just boils the frog slowly.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure they were, as mentioned in some of the promotional buzz with First Contact.

nowhere in the movie does it state they were designed to fight the borg. in the memory alpha article for the saber class it just states:

"The # of new ship designs in Star Trek: First Contact was actually only 4, the Sabre, Steamrunner, Norway and of course the Akira. The goal with all of those ships was to make them look completely different from the Enterprise as we were introducing the E in that film and they didn't want people going, 'wait, which one's the Enterprise?' "

so basically, they just wanted to introduce a bunch of new ships instead of reusing DS9/TNG ships to make the Sovvy ent-E more distinguishable.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Technically pure canon wise the only ship designed to fight the Borg was the Defiant. No where is that mentioned on screen that any other ship was.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    The Akira was heavy cruiser/carrier built for the dominion war.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not in canon. In some non canon its mentioned as being designed during the Cardassian war but built in response to the Borg.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Just because the ships showed up to fight the Borg meant they were designed specifically to fight the Borg.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They were created in response of Wolf 359. Those ships did have a slightly more tactical and defenseive behaviour than any other classes at that time.

Maybe not "directly" to fight the Borg, but to be more tactical for Borg encounters.
    edited March 2014

Well that Akira thing is simple:
    The designer did build it with that Idea of being a "super duper mary sue carrier torpedo boat" in mind.
    But since she was never shown doing ANY of that its not Canon.
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Technically pure canon wise the only ship designed to fight the Borg was the Defiant. No where is that mentioned on screen that any other ship was.

This. Nothing indicates the Sovereign being build to fight the Borg... or having any kind of more tactical focus then the Galaxy.
    They were created in response of Wolf 359. Those ships did have a slightly more tactical and defenseive behaviour than any other classes at that time.

Maybe not "directly" to fight the Borg, but to be more tactical for Borg encounters.

That goes in canon for the Defiant project ONLY, and that was canceled (and obviously relaunched during the Dominion war)
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Love how you go to a non-canon website.......which means nothing when it comes to canon. The only ship on-screen stated to be an anti-Borg warship was the Defiant, and many sources say the Sovereign as well (though it is also never stated in an episode or movie.)
    edited March 2014
    Love how you go to a non-canon website.......which means nothing when it comes to canon. The only ship on-screen stated to be an anti-Borg warship was the Defiant, and many sources say the Sovereign as well (though it is also never stated in an episode or movie.)

Actually ex astris scientia is pretty good website and the article he links is accurate.
    The article does not state his conclusion, its about the offscreen design history. That is not canon until its shown.

Simple example: The Sovereign was designed with the possibility of saucer separation in case they needed the ship to do that in a future movie.
    Since the ship never DID that it is not canon it has saucer separation (its not canon that she does NOT have it either, still open for interpretation...)