test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intrepid Class Ships were Designed for Tactical use.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Out of universe that is actually absolutely correct.
    But in-universe they still designed stuff to try to fight back^^

Also true, although what I was tryiong to say is that these efforts should really be puny, futile attempts once a cube shows up. The best bet to defeat a cube would probably be to insert boarding parties in sensitive spots to sabotage the thing, developing gear to prevent "assimilation" but meh... tiny battlewarships of doom, alpha-striking cubes, yeah! :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Earlier in the thread, someone posted a link to the actual writer's guide for Voyager, from Sternbach and Okuda. It's quite a fun read.

Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual

Page 7:
    The original mission of Voyager was primarily exploration and research, and it was superbly equipped for both. For those occasions when a show of military force is unavoidable, the ship is equipped with an impressive array of defensive and offensive weapons.

Page 21:
    WEAPONS AND DEFENSE

The mission of Voyager is exploration, science, and diplomacy. It is not a warship, nor is Starfleet a military organization in the 20th Century sense. Nevertheless, the galaxy is a big place, full of unknown -- and occasionally hostile -- life forms. For those times when Voyager must protect itself during the journey back to the Federation, the ship is fully equipped with both defensive and offensive weaponry. When provoked, Voyager is a formidable adversary.

Additionally, Janeway's staff is fully trained in cultural sociology, strategy and crisis analysis, and they have at their disposal a powerful array of information-gathering sensors and computers. They know that their skills in these areas are often more important in the successful resolution of a crisis than are advanced weaponry.

Which brings me to the current tangent in the discussion: the trouble with the Borg.

The Borg were introduced very early in ST:TNG. And I think it's no accident that, as some people will point out, the Borg superficially resemble the Federation: their technology is more advanced than most cultures they encounter; they assimilate any new culture or technology they come across; and they quickly adapt to new situations. The most frightening thing about the Borg is that they don't have any concept of individuality, or of the value of the diverse cultures they absorb. This serves to highlight what we're supposed to value about the Federation: its humanism, in its respect for individuals and for the autonomy of cultures. The Borg appear shortly after we've been introduced to the new Enterprise, and this is a reminder that our protagonists will overcome their challenges, not primarily through pew-pew-pew and technobabble, but through creativity and humanism.

So, the first trouble with the Borg is that they were finally defeated on at least three separate occasions -- and only the first of those follows from the original premise, in the plot arc concerning Hugh, who develops an individual identity and who reintroduces individuality to the Borg collective, causing it to disintegrate -- which, somehow gets overshadowed by the conflict between Data and Lore. The second was the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact -- and my criticisms of that should be obvious. The third was Janeway's destruction of the Borg Queen (again), the entire Borg fleet, and the Borg transwarp conduit network -- although that was the climax to a much more complex storyline involving Seven of Nine, which involved many of the original themes about recovering individuality, which redeems it.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    foolishowl wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread, someone posted a link to the actual writer's guide for Voyager, from Sternbach and Okuda. It's quite a fun read.

(...)

I never knew there was an actual draft of this floating around, good find :) And I do like the fact that it's at the state of Voyager's season 1, before they "reimagined" the Borg and all the other horrible things they did. Hell, the manual even reminds the writers that Voyager does have a limited amount of torpedo casings :D

However, I would advice you to create a new thread with your post in it, since this thread is older than 30 days and moderators in this forum do not accept "necroposting" and will lock this thread, encouraging you to create the exact same thread right next to it. Don't ask, it doesn't make sense, but those are the rules around here ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou