Options

Galaxy "Reboot" Feedback

Comments

• Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    Give a mouse a cookie...

They finally give it the attention they said they would, give it more then we expected, and yet here starts the complaints! It needs a LtCom tac now. Next it will need 7 front weapon slots, 3 hangars, and all tac consoles...

Thanks for the Saucer Separation. That is what you promised me over 2 years ago. Excstatic about the hangar bay, that is pure extra. Uni ens? I'll likely load it tac most of the time, but I'll take that, too!

The rest of you... bah... learn to fly the ships the way they are and you will have a much better time of things then constantly complaining that X ship needs Y buff.

They didn't give it the proper attention is the thing. The main problem, especially with the X, is that it was designed for a different era of STO when tanking was assumed to be useful. For some reason the devs still assume that.

The X needs a few simple changes to be worth flying:

LTC tact
    C eng
    LT eng
    LT sci
    E universal (will probably always be used as tact)

large +acc bonus to lance. I would prefer it always hit, no chance of missing.

The fleet version needs a 4 tact / 4 eng / 2 sci console layout in addition to the above (4 /3 / 3 would be OK too).

That's all that's needed. Saucer separation and hangar bay aren't necessary for the X, and the galaxy retrofit will always be not worth it.

Even after galaxy reboot it's better to use a fleet avenger, assault cruiser refit or excelsior. They have what the X needs because tanking is irrelevant.

Why don't the devs see this?? Why is it so easy for the players to see what's wrong but the devs remain blind to it? Even the console set bonus is a tanking bonus, as if that's helpful or desirable.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally if they don't go Dyson on it, I think they should make a first with it, as it is the Fleet Galaxy-X

Comm Tactical
    Comm Engineering
    LT Science
    LT Uni

The commander tactical and Engineering stations would give it some power, but you pay for it with a lack of BoFF versitility.

And the Fleet Galaxy-R

Comm Engineering
    LT Comm Tactical
    LT Comm Science
    LT Uni

For good versatility.

Additional Ideas....
    1) Maybe add the cloak to the Galaxy set and let the Galaxy-R use it too.
    2) Make sure the Lance can be buffed by any beam type so captains can use whatever they want on it.
    3) Let the galaxy-X use any faction or generic fighter, even if they are normally locked out
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gal-x changes are pretty meh, it should have been jacked up some. But i dont use it so i am not really too upset about it. Doubt I would use it anyway, my Fleet Excelsior is so good now....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I posted this in another thread, but thoughtit might go well here too.

Personally if they don't go Dyson on it, I think they should make a first with it, as it is the Fleet Galaxy-X

Comm Tactical
    Comm Engineering
    LT Science
    LT Uni

The commander tactical and Engineering stations would give it some power, but you pay for it with a lack of BoFF versitility.

And the Fleet Galaxy-R

Comm Engineering
    LT Comm Tactical
    LT Comm Science
    LT Uni

For good versatility.

Additional Ideas....
    1) Maybe add the cloak to the Galaxy set and let the Galaxy-R use it too.
    2) Make sure the Lance can be buffed by any beam type so captains can use whatever they want on it.
    3) Let the galaxy-X use any faction or generic fighter, even if they are normally locked out
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I said, they wouldn't put a T5 ship that is otherwise exclusive to the store or Starbase in the standard mirror ship box because mirror ships are so cheap as to effectively be free. If they made Mirror Galaxies or Mirror Excelsiors, NO ONE would buy the store versions unless the Mirror Gal and Mirror Excel were completely inferior in every conceivable way, and if that's the case, what's the point of putting them out at all?

And if a "Mirror" Gal-X were put out in the lobi store that was essentially a fixed Fleet Gal-X, that wouldn't be a good move either, because the Gal-X and Galaxy are sure-sellers purely due to their iconic status. People WILL buy them even though they're statistically inferior, because of emotional attachment to those designs. If that weren't the case the "Fix the Galaxy" thread on these very forums wouldn't be so mindblowing large.

This are a case where Cryptic wants to make them as accessible as possible to everyone who's willing to spend on the game. There's no CBS putting the Kibosh on a T5 Miranda or T5 TOS Constitution, this is a case of making arguably the most attractive ship design (figuratively speaking) in STO even more attractive, so they have more to gain by selling it widely than by locking it behind STO's least accessible channel (the lobi store).

Well, "factually" the Galaxy Dreadnought isn't even supposed to exist in the first place, since it's from an alternate timeline that got wiped away, so the fact of it existing in the prime universe at all is justification enough to take liberties with its capabilities.

And really? Totally appalled? Please don't get bent out of shape over trivialities.

I am not really all that bent out shape about the changes made. As I pointed out before I could deal with them, its not really all that much of a problem. Still many players like myself had very high expectations for the Fleet Version of this ship, many of those expectations are falling very flat.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about?! They DID leave us with nothing. The 'changes' to the Galaxy/Fleet Galaxy are so negligable that if they did cancel what you call a buff, NO-ONE would notice.
    I agree that the changes to the Gal-X were negligible. The fleet gal-x stats/boff seating aren't out yet, so chill until then. I was not paid anything, I"m just not a pessimist like you.
    Edit: orignally the gal-x was a rear admiral ship, they made it a vice admiral ship without changing stats :P
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    A Mirror Galaxy-X would have to come with a build-in Phaser Lance and we havent seen a Mirror B'rel, Mirror T'varo or Mirror Excelsior yet.

=^o^= I wonder if that would mean the mirror excelsior is not so goo....
    jKixCmJ.jpg

• Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Once this goes live the U.S.S. Lord Flasheart will come out of mothballs for one last hurrah.

Would of love a better boff layout rather than the hanger though, may be a simple cut and paste of the Steamrunner refit would be great, also what's happening to the lance last time I took this ship out for a spin the only thing not afraid getting hit by the lance was the ship targeted.
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If they make the extra console a tac or a sci I will probly never get my butt out of it.

DPS be damned. If I wanted to win the DPS race I would have rolled a tac. Then I would have re-rolled a Romulan tac. I'm a Betazoid sci. I do a metric ton of DPS already, in any ship I fly.

A Galaxy with all the bling of a cloak, lance, a hangar, and DHC capable? I'll take it, I'll love it.

Until I get bored and need a break, like I do with every ship... just this one may be the new ship I always come back to. The original Gal-X was the one before I fell in love with my Atrox.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We just got hit with 3 ships + some tech being sold for 100$ -- you know it as the 9 ship bundle offering (10,000 ZEN = 100$ ; over 55% savings!) just last week !

Next week we're getting the Galaxy "bundle" for 40$ .

Was 100$ for 3 ships (that can't even change their skin) too much ?

Did Cryptic see the "sales" numbers and imminently started to rummage around the bottom of the barrel for something "those people" (us) will buy ?

Yeah , I know ... it's a tinfoil hat idea . :)

... until you measure the time between the release of the 100$ for 3 ships and 40$ for ... is it 1 or 2 ships ?
    Or is it 40$ for ZERO new ships (art assets) and just more tech-in-a-shell , like the 100$ 3 pack is ?
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Dyson 9-pack hopefully wont get many sales. I can't imagine many people (short of collectors) buying them. The Dyson ships have never appealed to me, and I don't see as many of them being flown as I have other unique ships in the past. I suspect there weren't many people grinding as intended, so they (Cryptic) needed to try and make some money.

This Galaxy Pack they're also releasing, it's a kick in the teeth to everyone that wanted a revamped Galaxy. Cryptic apparently didn't listen to the majority on that, and again, the current builds don't interest me. I can't imagine they'll get many more sales out of that either. They've pretty much only changed a boff slot, and anyone using that ship is likely going to place a tac in that slot anyway, seeing as it was already a tac, the change makes little sense.

Two Fails as far as I'm concerned.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2014
    Sad part is I keep seeing tons of the Zshop versions of the SDs flying around -.- why people just why
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No.

They had to redo the Galaxy models to allow for the enhanced separation tech. That's not a weekend slam-dunk. This has been in the works for awhile.

The timing is just a bit of serendipity, I think.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    We just got hit with 3 ships + some tech being sold for 100$ -- you know it as the 9 ship bundle offering (10,000 ZEN = 100$ ; over 55% savings!) just last week !

Next week we're getting the Galaxy "bundle" for 40$ .

Was 100$ for 3 ships (that can't even change their skin) too much ?

Did Cryptic see the "sales" numbers and imminently started to rummage around the bottom of the barrel for something "those people" (us) will buy ?

Yeah , I know ... it's a tinfoil hat idea . :)

... until you measure the time between the release of the 100$ for 3 ships and 40$ for ... is it 1 or 2 ships ?
    Or is it 40$ for ZERO new ships (art assets) and just more tech-in-a-shell , like the 100$ 3 pack is ?

Um, yeah, since they try to add new stuff to the C-Store (and in the past sometimes would release multiple ships - not bundles of ships - different ship classes) every month; the Dyson Bundle is for February; and the Galaxy Bundle is March; and honestly, the Gal-R and Gal-X ARE older ships that have already been in the store for years; so except for brand new STO players with TNG nostalgia, most of the playerbase that wants them already have them and won't need to re-buy; I have a feeling there's nothing relating to the sales (or lack thereof) of another C-Store item in the release decision here.:eek:;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    while the 9 pack mess may not be selling, a bunch of people bought at least 1 scidest ship. The number of people buying at least the 1 pack is probably on par with other ship sales, maybe higher because this time a ship was released for all factions, so I would argue that money influx from the last ship is better than average and probably not driving any decisions. I am sure money is discussed for what is released and all that, but I doubt this is the overwhelming reason behind it.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I bought the Rom DSD cause it looks sweet. And will look even sweeter with the Mk XII Reman Space set on it. I have the Vesta, so no need there, and I hardly play KDF, so no need there.

If I wanted DPS, I would have purchased the Scimitar. But, it's fugly to me.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sad part is I keep seeing tons of the Zshop versions of the SDs flying around -.- why people just why

Because some of think they are cool looking.
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I didn't buy them because I wanted to play a Star Trek game and they don't look like Star Trek ships to me. Also they are ugly. Except the Romulan one but that's only because it's basically the Whitestar from Babylon 5.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe it's because they wanted to do it. Who are you to question their decision? I say, for anyone who wants to buy the Dyson Ship 9-pack, they're more than welcome to do so in my book, since they're free to choose to do whatever they want.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Because some of think they are cool looking.
    Hahaha, the fools.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Hahaha, the fools.
    I love the looks of the ships. Just because you don't, does not mean they're bad looking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Remember that.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Hahaha, the fools.

IMO, they look cool AND are some of the best real science ships that the KDF and Romulans have. Ever hear of an opinion?
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love the looks of the ships. Just because you don't, does not mean they're bad looking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Remember that.

Just keep it all in perspective. For instance the person you're replying to is a big fan of the Galaxy X, which I myself think looks weird.

I like the look of the Romulan Dyson ship the best. It just has kind of a sleek feel to it. I like the Federation one the least, as it looks like too much of a departure from the Federation style. Maybe the jagged saucer would work with a regular skin. But the gray/purple skin combined with the big departure from Fed design just gives it an alien ship feel. To me.

I have no qualms with everyone buying the ships. Fly what you like to fly. Have fun.

In regards to the first post in the thread ... I think the 9 pack bundle is a bit much. I don't utilize that many characters across all three factions to make it even worth thinking about the purchase. So it's kind of a niche bundle and I don't think the sales figures are really indicative of much. The sales of each individual ship or even the 3 packs might have some analytic merit. But the 9 pack bundle by its very nature is a niche.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've gathered 12,500-odd zen just playing the game, watching adverts and answering questionnaires since the end of November(ish), though that's by spending all my Dil. As a new (Well returning, but I only played for a few days at the beginning of 2012) player I've needed to spend that on inventory space, DOFF slots and the like, but if I were an ongoing player that'd be a very tasty chunk of change that I'd want to spend on... Well, something. (Truth be told, I likely wouldn't buy the 9-pack, in fact, I'm yet to buy any ships - They just aren't all that necessary to me and the way I play the game).
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't see how a $40 galaxy bundle that most people cannot buy has anything to do with the 100 ship bundle. As soon as anyone buys anything from within the bundle they are disqualified from the bundle itself.

The only thing I did not buy from the c-store already was the gal-r due to ship token. The only thing I need is the ship module for the gal-x.

Not surprised they are giving away the galaxy bridge. The lcar on it is a mess. It would be nice for a touch up though. Ill save those screen shots for the day of.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    redz4tw wrote: »
    Ok everyone, chill the fudge out. Cryptic hasn't released stats for the fleet galaxy X. The C-Store gal-x is a tier 4 ship hiding in a tier 5 ship's skin. The layout is gonna be a little meh. We don't know the boff seating on the fleet galx, we dont know where the console is gonna be at, the increased shield mod and hull suggests that this is gonna be a really tanky tactical cruiser. And, if you don't have a Ltcmdr tac, (which i think should be on the fleet version) it's simple. BFAW1, APB1, TT1.

I don't understand this community, they're finally doing ANYTHING to the galaxy class, and this is the reaction they get? If i was the game devs I'd just cancel the buff and leave you ungrateful whining ******* with nothing. So, until fleet stats are released SHUT THE HELL UP!

firstly, we can all assume what its gonna look like for two reasons..

1. cryptic. (more importantly geko) has become predictable, and fallows a routine when it comes to these ships.. so much so, that even before most new ships have had any info released (besides for that they are in develppment) the community has pretty much nailed down what its gonna be before they even tell us...

2. geko and cryptic seem to have something against the galaxy. case and point.. the galaxy class is one of the most iconic ships in the series, and honestly, it is pretty useless in the game. (sure you can make a tank out of it, but we don't need tanks. not when stf's are dropping in less than a minute, further more, as an engineer, I tank with escorts just fine, which is another problem for another thread). but the galaxy, despite the insane amount of pleas, and threads, and ideas, and people wishing it was usefull in game terms, has been the red headed step child of the game.

the galaxy class in game in no way shape or form (besides looks) reflects what it was on screen. then, the galaxy dreadnaught comes along. the first dreadnaught, and it is usesless as well.. I have a video on youtube of me destroying one with a t4 defient (as there was not a t5 at the time, and I really liked the ship lol). but I man handled it. that shouldn't have happened.

cryptic has made it quite clear that they do not want the galaxy in the line light. it is almost like they are going out of their way to buff, but not buff it.. lol... the majority of the posts I have read in the past (and there is lots) stated that the boff layout and console layout is the problem.. well, they revise the ship, and they touched everything but boff and console layout lol.. it just seems intentional at this point..

the game is so broken and unbalanced at this point, it wouldn't hurt the game to just make the galaxy on par with say the fleet sovereign, and make the galaxy x the feddie version of the scimitar. honestly, no other part of this game seems to care about balance and fung shuae.
  • Options
    martock6martock6 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    After Examining both the Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught and the Scimitar Dreadnaught I have come up with some conclusions myself. (I am not aware of any other Dreadnaughts in the game.)

1. The shields on both the Jem'Hadar(1.15) and the Scimitar(1.1) are better then the Galaxy x(1) though not by much.

2. Both the Jem'Hadar and the Scimitar have or have access to a commander Tac boff position and both have access to either a Lt. Commander or Lt. universal boff position. For me a superior boff set up. This is a big game breaker for me.

3.Both the Jem'Hadar and the Scimitar have access to two hanger bays. The Galaxy X will have just one.

4. The lance is notoriously inaccurate and nullifies a lot of its benefit, and with a fairly long cool down really not worth it.

5. Cloak takes up a console slot.

6. A player of the Galaxy X has no control over the Saucer when separated. It seems with carrier commands the separated saucer should have more control.

I own all three ships and deleted the Galaxy X a long time ago. The upgrades to the Galaxy X are in my way of thinking inferior to the two ships I already have.

I love the looks of the Galaxy X, but to be honest I fly some ugly ships because they have better abilities then ships that are more astatically pleasing.

So, why would I want to fly the Galaxy X? Why would new people want to buy this one when other ships are better?

I really hope there is more to come than this, but I have my doubts.