test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guess like so many others I'll not be getting these ships. I simply have way too many toons (20) to make it worth my while. I'm well aware that I don't HAVE to collect the ships on ALL my characters but I WANT to. I should be able to collect any ship I want on any character I want and not have to pick and choose.

I think the previous model of GIVING away the ship as part of the festivities and then selling a stronger version in the C-store or fleet shipyard was a MUCH better choice.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wow in less then what a week? this thread is just shy of a few post from the doom thread imo cryptic pwe should be worried
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    wow in less then what a week? this thread is just shy of a few post from the doom thread

4 days.

I reckon at least 85% firmly opposed.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    4 days.

It'd be nice to think that the Devs are looking at this and going "Jeez, maybe this was a bad idea".

In actuality, everyone except Bran (who is clearly doing his job posting blogs and whatnot) is opening champagne and celebrating that they've still got enough players left to tide them over to this fourth year.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    4 days.

Since the developers are keeping an eye on this thread, I wonder if we could get a poll on this thread, so the developers could get more accurate numbers as to what percent like it, and don't.

It is clear that the majority are opposed to it, but a poll will give numbers they could actually work with.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    I'd find that perfectly acceptable. I did SoI way more times than required and I wasn't that bothered by that.

This? This is completely unreasonable. I'd rather they just put the ship in the C-Store and be done with it.
    O_o' You'd rather do a long mission 6 times than a short minigame 15 times? Um... which one takes more time?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    wow in less then what a week? this thread is just shy of a few post from the doom thread imo cryptic pwe should be worried
    considering the actual number of people posting... not so much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2014
    O_o' You'd rather do a long mission 6 times than a short minigame 15 times? Um... which one takes more time?

i would rather it be like the last 2 anniversary events and chasing mini Q around SFA is not fun more of a facebook mini game not to say if you got to compete for them from other players like that one mission all ready there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014

It's not just about time. One thing is for sure - I won't be griefed in the FE and there's no chance of failing it. I won't have to compete with my fellow player, wherein one or both of us is going to get frustrated.

The FE was also full of interesting little tidbits and things I missed first time around, so it was pleasure to go back and find them.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's not just about time. One thing is for sure - I won't be griefed in the FE and there's no chance of failing it. I won't have to compete with my fellow player, wherein one or both of us is going to get frustrated.

The FE was also full of interesting little tidbits and things I missed first time around, so it was pleasure to go back and find them.
    yeah... I don't remember any griefing in the 2nd and 3rd anniversary events.... I was always able to complete them just fine.

The chase the mini-q quest couldn't be griefed since only you could interact with the mini-q after it started running.

The shell-present minigame was a lot like scanning particles for the Academy event. Whoever interacts first gets it. Technically you're "competing" but the number of spawn points is higher than the possible number of players per instance.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Indeed, which is better.

Sitting down at my computer seven times playing through what looks like an interesting FE........

...or.....

...doing that once and sitting down for 15 days chasing a mini Q.

105 minutes overall as opposed to 90 minutes.

I'd pay a 15 minute premium to get the grind over in half the time, while doing something actually fun.
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited January 2014

An interesting mission repeated a half-dozen times at standard cooldown pacing is much preferable to competing against players to do a mind-numbing daily at inflated, one-a-day cooldowns over two weeks.
    considering the actual number of people posting... not so much.

Still quite a good number of unique posts, many one-offs, overwhelming majority opposed to this change.
    yeah... I don't remember any griefing in the 2nd and 3rd anniversary events.... I was always able to complete them just fine.

The chase the mini-q quest couldn't be griefed since only you could interact with the mini-q after it started running.

The past Anniversaries weren't grief-able because it used the standard FE mission template. However the reference I'm sure was to the Winter Event 'Line Jumper' headaches, and the fact that all it takes is a couple people who just run around, activating mini-Qs for the sake of consuming their use and ignoring the mini-game, to deny use of a portion of SFA.

Anytime you make something first-come activation in a public setting, certain people will either selfishly try to steal the node/cut in line/etc, or just go out of their way to aggravate others for their own jollies.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014

That would be because, you didn't grind for the 2nd or 3rd Anniversary gift ship... you ran a FE.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014

id rather do a lower number of longer, better thought out, and more compelling missions than 15 run in, click f, jump through hoops, and do a hand stand missions..

plus, long term grinds suck. im all for them (like the ce event grind) in the beginning, but then find myself barely wanting to do it towards the end... its a video game, it should always be entertaining..
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Same here. Nobody griefed me while doing the one FE mission for the Odyssey/Bort, nor the one FE mission for the Ambassador/Kamarag.

But those weren't first-come free-for-alls that had to be run multiple times, either- just like how apples aren't pomegranates.
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm just going to say this again, but the new ships aren't new. they only thing new is the secondary deflector. Other then that this ship is alienating the Veteran and Life subscribers. Yes i agree grinding for the "free" anniversary ship sucks but i am one of few who will put up with it on at least one character. However i will not put up with it being basically the same as the 1000 day vet ships.
  • anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Excited about the Zero G suits, dont give a flying about the Mixed tech Destroyers, but its nice that those who want that sort of thing can get them, diversity is good.
    - Into the jaws of hell.
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Whomever the Dev is that designed this system... please don't design anymore systems, and please go take some courses and do some research into intelligent game design. Thank you.

I agree with this
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am really beginning to regret starting to level 3 more alts through the endgame grind.

Running a solo race for 2 minutes is one thing, competing in pvp to complete the daily is something entirely different....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I am really beginning to regret starting to level 3 more alts through the endgame grind.

Running a solo race for 2 minutes is one thing, competing in pvp to complete the daily is something entirely different....

wait they are forcing us to do pvp to complete a daily for the anniversary?
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Has this been conclusively confirmed to be happening? or are people just spreading fear because of what one might have said to be the case?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well thanks cryptic, ive been here since beta. I always look forward to the ann event, since ive spent so much time here since the begining. So i wanted to say thanks, "Thanks for f*cking me out of participating" that is.

Sick of pointless long grinds added to things that dont need them. You said you were "Listening" to us but yet again you listened but didnt HEAR us. Cryptic you seem to think we should play the game on YOUR time table, grind xyz in xyz days. Youve turned the game into a job. Guess what people hate that.

The overwhelming tone of this thread was against this stupid change and yet you push forward with it. I'm having shoulder surgery friday so grind isnt even an option for me, not that i would have any how after the winter event.

Way to take player appreciation and throw it in the trash. Not that its new with your company....

You dont make games for yourself you make them for the people playing them. Players dont want pointless grinds attached to events just to add grinds to them. And i dont care how special you made the ship, its the event that dictated the way the reward is given, you didnt want to "Give" away a kickass ship, then maybe you shouldnt have made it/released it for THIS event.

My opinion. Take it as is.
    edited January 2014
    no.
    Has this been conclusively confirmed to be happening? or are people just spreading fear because of what one might have said to be the case?
    The second one. It's like the academy thing where you run around and tag particles. Except that, unlike the particles you have a 5 bag limit instead of all you can grab before the (one hour) timer expires.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2014
    but only you going to have more trolls to deal because this in more limited then a 1 hour even that come all year long
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Going to reply to this. Yes. This is a much better game design than we are getting.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All I have to say is that last years anniversary minigames were the WORST designed "games" in any MMO I've ever played. Which means I'll not be doing any grinding outside of the Tuvok mission.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just want to add my voice in agreement with how poorly planned and executed an idea this is for the anniversary event.

I really do not need to think about another boring grind so close to the finish of the winter event.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014

Sadly I will Be skipping the anniversary event altogether as this daily mission of catching mini-Qs is one of the most annoying things in the game. And yes there was griefing, just like at the Acedemy event.

Last year a did it one time each on a few toon's just to get the balloon party popper. All I remember is having to race all around the map like some mad man, often getting to a Mini-Q too late as another player grabbed it, or worse - getting a Mini-Q and just like the particle finding a dud and continuing the mad dash and bash with other players.

Last year it was Bad and that was just for the limited party stuff that not every player wanted and that most did only once, this year as a daily I can only imagine the grief and say no thanks.

P.s. I am not a poster known for spreading doom and fear. This is just my personal experience doing that Mini-Q mission.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Stupid Grind
    Stupid Mini Game
    Stupid Anniversary!!!
  • tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We should get the science ship for completing the anniversary mission. Why do they have to make us waste our time doing party patrol!? I hate that mingame! It's stupid and boring. I would rather work on completing the storyline missions.