What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: Ship Management System mentioned in Season 8.5 overview blog

Comments

• Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    You do realize your switching to and from something that is not stationary right?

Sweet. Then when I'm in sector space I'll see the new ship arrive, so I can transfer my command and my shuttle can move from one hanger to the other.

Or maybe we can turn the whole game into a doff/card game and completely do away with those pesky animated model problems.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bladewolf5 wrote: »
    wow...come on...is not that they going to remove the space dock from the game, they just add something that other players want it, a feature u can simple do not have to use it. If they remove the dock area, it will be not cool. .:cool:

Some people, like the OP, have some sort of perverse need to dictate individual game-play things to the general public. I'm just glad that Cryptic is giving the appropriate response to their line drawing.... walking right over it and ignoring them.
  • Options
    bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Some people, like the OP, have some sort of perverse need to dictate individual game-play things to the general public. I'm just glad that Cryptic is giving the appropriate response to their line drawing.... walking right over it and ignoring them.

Actually i wish the Cryptic has an add-on option, so people wants such a feature can just click it to add on to their game, not an overall update.:)
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually i wish the Cryptic has an add-on option, so people wants such a feature can just click it to add on to their game, not an overall update.:)
    Some of ths stuff could be handled with the Difficulty scale. But they would have to modify the rewards system quite a bit. And the players that want everything set to EZ mode would QQ about getting lower rewards. Its too late for this game, was too late before this.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

What, are you incapable of exercising self control in functions you don't want to use that if it merely exists you will be unable to control yourself and use it anyway?
  • Options
    tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Being able to change your ship out of spacedock is bad for a number of reasons.

You already can. Visit your shuttle bridge, go to the console, change, exit bridge. New ship.
  • Options
    bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What, are you incapable of exercising self control in functions you don't want to use that if it merely exists you will be unable to control yourself and use it anyway?

I like the feature...
    Errr...do u read the post#31 i posted?:eek:
    Have self control please, If u need anger management just tell me...:P
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nobody is forcing you to use the feature.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    roxbad wrote: »
    Sweet. Then when I'm in sector space I'll see the new ship arrive, so I can transfer my command and my shuttle can move from one hanger to the other.

Or maybe we can turn the whole game into a doff/card game and completely do away with those pesky animated model problems.

Well as long as your not going to be demanding. ;)

Somethings will have to be left to your imagation, like that fact that in a matter of seconds after being blown up you reappear unscathed to fight again, no explaination :P

I also like to point out that when you switch to shuttle you don't get an animation either. Btw you'll likely have to switch ships from you ship and/or shuttle bridge the way you switch between ships and shuttle now. They just grant access to the rest of your ships most likely. I have no evidence of this, it just makes sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well as long as your not going to be demanding. ;)

Somethings will have to be left to your imagation, like that fact that in a matter of seconds after being blown up you reappear unscathed to fight again, no explaination :P

I also like to point out that when you switch to shuttle you don't get an animation either. Btw you'll likely have to switch ships from you ship and/or shuttle bridge the way you switch between ships and shuttle now. They just grant access to the rest of your ships most likely. I have no evidence of this, it just makes sense.

You are of course correct in associating this new feature with those two other aspects of gameplay. I find them all to be disappointing, with this newest feature being just one more reason for me to hope that some other developer could get rights to this IP.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    OMG SERIOUS BUSINESS END OR THE WORLD GAME IS DOOM DEAD DIED GET OFF MY LAWN YOU ADHD KIDS WITH YOUR ENTITLEMENT AND IMPATIENCE

How about you go over there and not attempt to dictate how other people play. -->

I'm astonished by the level of whining in this thread. People have been dying for ages to have a system for quick swapping their ship build "templates" because they don't like spending 20-30 minutes refitting their gear, boffs, doffs, and power trays. The only part of this system that we didn't ask for is the ability to do it from sector space, but does that even matter? You can already change ships in sector space by visiting your bridge. And what's it to you if other players do that? How does that diminish YOUR gameplay in any way shape or form?

Seriously have you ever waited on someone in a team to outfit a ship before your team can hit the queue button? You could run 3 or more STFs in the amount of time it takes. And it's not fun to BE that person either when all of the pressure is on you to hurry the heck up. I have 20 ships, 17 boffs, 415 doffs, most of the unique mission items, and most of the sets in the game as well as several different sets and types of weapons. It is NOT fun to sort through all of that and find all of the right parts to get your build ready when you're under pressure to get that beam boat, or torpedo boat, or Blockade, or No Win Scenario, or STF, or crowd control, or drain, or cannon build equipped in a hurry.

This system is going to be a godsend and I'll actually be able to enjoy using more of my ships more often without the immense hassle of rekajiggering everything every time.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its a nice feature, but unfortunately harmful to the entire concept of social zones.
    I mean whats next? Personal Bank? Mail? Tailor? Where does it stop?

If you can access all these core functions of social zones, then in the end, what is the point of them?

Just look at what happened to DS9 when the STF vendors were shut down with the introduction of the reputation system.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Tuffli, Cell ship, Fleet Starbase, Fleet Dilithium Mine, Fleet Embassy, Fleet Spire. Social zones still seem populated to me.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How does that diminish YOUR gameplay in any way shape or form?

I'm not sure who you are asking, but the impetus of my answer can be found in your signature.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How about you go over there and not attempt to dictate how other people play. -->

So apparently by making a suggestion I'm dictating how others should play. No, I think that because you don't like my suggestion you feel the need to attack. Childish much?

Its a nice feature, but unfortunately harmful to the entire concept of social zones.

If you can access all these core functions of social zones, then in the end, what is the point of them?

Just look at what happened to DS9 when the STF vendors were shut down with the introduction of the reputation system.

I agree with this. Oh, tekehd and mightybobcnc, by agreeing with senatorvreenak I'd like to assure you that I'm not trying to dictate how you play. I felt the need to point this out as I wan't sure if you'd take it the wrong way or not.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So apparently by making a suggestion I'm dictating how others should play. No, I think that because you don't like my suggestion you feel the need to attack. Childish much?

You're cute. I actually thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to restrict it to sectors that have a friendly starbase until it was pointed out that the KDF would be screwed over for not having as many starbases spread out over the galaxy map as Feds.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So apparently by making a suggestion I'm dictating how others should play.

In this case yes... because your suggestion dictates how others should play. IF you have a problem with your "opinion" being classed as this, may I suggest you change your opinion to one which DOESN'T rely on dictating to others game play styles which are not relevant to team-play.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I thought it was bad at first, but then I realized I don't think it matters anymore. This game didn't have much believability or immersion factors to begin with. And I seriously doubt Cryptic will bother to add any in the future.

This all hit the fan once freighters came and EC transwarps were made for missions. No need for warp drive anymore when we can just transwarp everywhere. The Iconians can bomb subspace into obvlivion for all I care, we don't need it anymore. :P
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You're cute. I actually thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to restrict it to sectors that have a friendly starbase until it was pointed out that the KDF would be screwed over for not having as many starbases spread out over the galaxy map as Feds.

Then rather than attack why not be constructive? Say something like...

I agree with the idea that you can change in a sector that contains a friendly starbase if something can be done to even it up for Klingon players? If an idea isn't 100% to your liking, suggest a change. People will appreciate it more.
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally I don't see this as a problem, there is always some in universe way to justify most things.

We've seen on the show numerous modifications occur to the ship's systems and we've also seen starfleet ships meet and transfer crew between them. Swapping ships in space simply be a rendezvous and crew transfer that occurs off-screen.

Some allowances have to be made as it is a game, but it is also Star Trek and what is Star Trek? It's the stories and the broader universe that makes the stories possible.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Honestly as an admiral being able to shift my flag in sector space, I am failing to see an issue.

The OP is saying it breaks immersion. IMO it actually HELPS it. Again since we are admirals, now we can actually act like admirals away from star bases.

This is a good thing. However you already could switch in space between 2 different ships and your shuttle. Just go to shuttle bridge and go the officer who does ship selections, you'll find 2 ships you can flip back and forth with.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    bazag wrote: »
    Personally I don't see this as a problem, there is always some in universe way to justify most things.

We've seen on the show numerous modifications occur to the ship's systems and we've also seen starfleet ships meet and transfer crew between them. Swapping ships in space simply be a rendezvous and crew transfer that occurs off-screen.

Some allowances have to be made as it is a game, but it is also Star Trek and what is Star Trek? It's the stories and the broader universe that makes the stories possible.

Shouldn't it take time for the ship to arrive at least? And shouldn't it take time for the ship to get back to starbase? I'm not a fan of the instant nature.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shouldn't it take time for the ship to arrive at least? And shouldn't it take time for the ship to get back to starbase? I'm not a fan of the instant nature.

Sector space already runs on a sort of time compression logic - it takes minutes to traverse the Federation, at speeds that (depending on which equation you trust) should still take at least days.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    Sector space already runs on a sort of time compression logic - it takes minutes to traverse the Federation, at speeds that (depending on which equation you trust) should still take at least days.

Basically what the second guy says. Even at warp 9 to go from Earth to Qonos, should take well over a week, almost two.

In this game barely takes 5 minutes. Plus instant transwarping, yeah sorry it's not need.

Plus the fact it just adds more things that frankly don't need to be added. It's not really immersion breaking for me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So it seems that season 8.5 will give us the opportunity to change our starships in sector space. Good or bad? I say bad.

Ship loadout save/load options are a godsent: probably one of the single most important features added since years.

I wasn't really looking for the ability to change ships in sector space per se; but ship loadout functionality should be welcomed, not dissed at the first opportunity!

So, bravo, devs, for listening to the community!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So have it play a skippable cutscene showing the new ship approach your current ship, with a quick voiceover that has a faction themed person say, "Good thing we happened to be in the area. We're prepared to accept you and your senior staff aboard immediately."

Yeah. That means your spare ships are off doing things when you're not using them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Ship loadout save/load options are a godsent: probably one of the single most important features added since years.

I wasn't really looking for the ability to change ships in sector space per se; but ship loadout functionality should be welcomed, not dissed at the first opportunity!

So, bravo, devs, for listening to the community!

No no no no, please don't take my post as saying no to the ability to save the ship loadoats!! That's a very welcome thing. It's actually changing ships in space I was referring to.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Then swap your ship at Earth if it bugs you so much, no one will stop you.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No no no no, please don't take my post as saying no to the ability to save the ship loadoats!! That's a very welcome thing. It's actually changing ships in space I was referring to.

i find it immersion breaking that i dont have to refit my ship every time i take it out of mothball. plz no ship load out saving!!!!! :(:(:mad::mad:
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bazag wrote: »

And we even saw Janeway switch ships from the Voyager to the Dauntless. :P

Hmm does the Hathaway count with Picard?

Pros and Cons. It does give us a reason to fly our other ships, though I fear it might dumb down some content. For an example, might be seeing more escorts flying in ESTFs now than we did before. After all, there hardly is much reason to fly a Cruiser or Science ship in most content these days.

And like OP said, I do think it does lead to coachpotatoism with instant gratication. But like said a few posts ago, that ship has sailed.