test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Ship Management System mentioned in Season 8.5 overview blog

Comments

• gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I switch ships often and like the idea to being able to easily switch ships, but not in sector space. I'll stay in ESD to do it I suppose.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    SOLUTION

Don't allow players to change ships in sector space. Make people travel to spacedock to do it. Whilst you're at it, start giving more importance to places that the player has to travel to. Give us reasons to actually go somewhere instead of giving us instant access to this mission or that resource. We need something for a mission or for crafting something? Make us work to get it. Product X can only be obtained from K7, item Y can only be crafted at DS9, task Z can only be initiated from Vulcan. After all, the easier the game gets the less interesting it becomes.

I know there will be people who disagree with my opinion but can we please have constructive responses instead of insults?

Doh... someone obviously never own a cell ship...

Currently to change from battle ship to trader ship you do:
    1. Buy the shuttle
    2. Go to shuttle bridge
    3. switch ship
    4. go back to sector
    5. go to your cell bridge and do some dirty stuff.

3 zone changes just to get to cell bridge. and 4 zone changes if you go to your standard bridge, because ship changing officer is in engineering on most of free/c-store ships.

Currently there are 4 ship changing stations:

* dyson battlezone command - pain to get there, you TW to dyson space, then you fly, then you teleport to command.
    * ESD/Qunos - bigger pain with even more zone changes. Quonos is easier cause you don't have to run
    * DS9 - moar running, and more sector flying if you're kdf, as fed T5 diplo transwarps you right into ds9 space. where's kdf to the upper left corner of BU.
    * K7/Granalda/Drozana - even moer running around and zoning. Again feds got direct transwarp to k7, where's kdf don't even have tw to EE.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the idea, I can confidently predict such a small feature will have absolutely 0 impact on anyone's 'immersion'.

Ships disappear and re-appear in sector space all the time. When players enter systems, or use the transwarp option for missions and when they log out/in. Also since when did anyone pay any attention at all to other ships in sector space? I'm either in the Doff screen, my inventory or just staring at my own ship as it gets from A to B.

If you really can't stomach using this nice little function then guess what, no one is forcing you to use it. By all means transwarp or fly back to a station and change there.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I see it as a solution to a nonexistent problem. It doesn't take that much time to make a stop to your nearest ship selector station.

People in this game get in a hurry, sometimes to the point of rudeness. These people need to learn to slow down some.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Cryptic/PWE aren't interested in providing immersion/believability. This whole mechanism for ships coming in 8.5 is to sell you more ships.

And to sell more ship slots to house them

And bank slots to store all the gear for "quick-change" layouts.
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ingame i'm actual switching my ship, if i need the special abilities of my Tuffli. Then i beam on my shuttle and switching the ship (because the way on my normal ship for switching is too long).

Sometimes i wish to change my Galaxy class vessel with my good old Excelsior, because it has better hull and abilities. But i love the Galaxy and accept, that this ship is maybe a little weaker.

I have no problem with switching the ship in sector space as an admiral. Ships in Star Trek can rendezvous, but maybe it takes some time, that ships meets at the right coordinates. I hope there will be a cooldown on switching ships to map this.

I like the idea, that i can distribute my different BOs on different ships. So each ship has his own crew, except my adjutant.

Bigger problem is switching the build. Officers can change, thats not a problem, but switching the warp core and weapons simply for each situation? Thats maybe good for game mechanic but not for the IP.

Not every ship is good for every situation. That is the challenge i have to accept and that is the excitement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    genada wrote: »
    You were able to do this already with certain ships. The only people that should be kinda of upset by this are the owners of these ships as this is kinda of a nerf to them but really with all the things said ships offer anyway, doubt they care.
    Not a nerf (not even "kinda"), just a slightly less important addition. It will still save me from having to go through multiple loading screens when changing ships. :)
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Switching ships/layouts is what a large proportion of players want; if you give the players what they want, more people will play the game; the more people that play the game, more people will spend money on the game; if more people spend money on the game, the game will get better; if the game gets better, it will last longer; if the game lasts longer, I can play it more. End result: I put up with things that don't affect me so that I can play the game.

But this is exactly the thing that makes me STOP playing these games. The amount of laziness being introduced into these games is skyrocketing. For instance; used to be a huge fan of battlestar galactica online. Used to have to travel to different systems to do certain things, such as switching ships or buying new ones. Not anymore. Now you can do everything with a push of a button from 1 location. And its stupid. Lazy players are the reason games die. Pretty soon we'll be buying ships in space and have an autopilot for combat (we already have autofiring weapons for christ's sake). And now players want more. Auto boff powers, keybinds to make multiple powers work off 1 stroke, and autofire ground weapons. I have to say, the quality of the players in some games just plain sucks.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You make a very valid point, however popular opinion doesn't always make the best decision. I'm sure that if everyone had the ability to choose to not pay taxes then the country would shut down in days.

I just wish that ease and convenience wasn't one of the more important things that people seek in games these days.

Sorry had to pounce on this before i continued on. I live in America and i pay taxes, and my government did shutdown for a few weeks :D

Just because something isnt popular doesnt mean the same outcome cant happen.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    But this is exactly the thing that makes me STOP playing these games. The amount of laziness being introduced into these games is skyrocketing. For instance; used to be a huge fan of battlestar galactica online. Used to have to travel to different systems to do certain things, such as switching ships or buying new ones. Not anymore. Now you can do everything with a push of a button from 1 location. And its stupid. Lazy players are the reason games die.

Ship loadout save/load functionality should have been a part of STO from the get-go. Its absence was a gross omission. And one I'm happy to say they're finally rectifying.

Ship loadout save/load functionality has always been a part of EvE Online too, for instance; and when I found it missing here, I was highly surprised. EvE Online even allows you to buy multiple copies of the same ship: STO, for some bizarre reason, does not. As a result, ship loadout save/load functionality makes even more sense: instead of having say, 3, Galors, all fitted differently, STO allows me to possess only 1; so, ship loadout save/load functionality is the logical next step towards variety.

N.B. And Ship loadout save/load functionality will, in the process, also take care of when Cryptic fubarred your tray -- which occurs quite often.

So, let's all embrace the new change!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Ok now that i have read through everything.

The ship changing is awesome, gives people a reason to be out and about instead of just sitting on ESD between q'd event beam out/warp ins.

I mean really i used to sit IN the shipyard. Change your ship there sell your TRIBBLE there and beam right back in there. God if the bank and mail was down there id never have to leave.

If you do not like the new function Dont use it, simple as that. Many have said it, it is more convienient for them, it adds to some people immersion, everyone is going to take this a different way. And you sir are taking it as being bad for you.

So again its simple do not use the new function. Take it as a personal attack on you, but trust if i was going to attack you i would find you in game and challenge you to a duel.

So hop off your high horse you arent the only one who plays, if it breask the game for you well, see you around have fun playing something else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Players are making a judgement on something that has yet to be implemented and are making judgement that at this moment in time is something only on paper. Until it is implented into the game, can we only then make a rational decision whether or not being able to switch ships is a bad idea.

None of know EXACTLY how it is going to work, until then, when it is operational ingame then can we all decide.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I learned something new today.

There are apparently a lot of masochists in STO who demand the right to continue to be inconvenienced, and if they demand the right to be inconvenienced everyone else should suffer with them to make it fair.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited January 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I learned something new today.

There are apparently a lot of masochists in STO who demand the right to continue to be inconvenienced, and if they demand the right to be inconvenienced everyone else should suffer with them to make it fair.

:eek: You JUST learned this? I swear i have seen you around in many of the masochisticly themed post and reply areas...... :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    :eek: You JUST learned this? I swear i have seen you around in many of the masochisticly themed post and reply areas...... :P

I should work for Cryptic considering just how quickly I learn things that have been quite obvious to everyone else for months.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I'm not a huge fan I must confess. I'd be in favour of having the ability to change on your shuttlecraft though, notionally being taken from one starship to the other.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily. Now you will be able to prepare separate PvE and PvP builds, or have a special anti-Voth spec for your ships waiting to quickly be swapped in. Equipping ships also gets easier with the new ?easy equip? feature coming in the update. In addition, we?re going to be increasing the current ship slot limit. You?re going to love it!

Yes, I do absolutely love it! Thank you so much for this long needed change!!!
    edited January 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a huge fan I must confess. I'd be in favour of having the ability to change on your shuttlecraft though, notionally being taken from one starship to the other.

In my completely unrealistic, unfeasible, and impractical reality that I live in -- I think I'd prefer a quick cutscene using proxies from the paperdolls of your current ship and the ship you want to change to facing each other with a shuttle quickly jetting from one to the other with a small and fast fade-in/fade-out scene, not unlike the beam-out cutscene when you transfer from ground to space.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    In my completely unrealistic, unfeasible, and impractical reality that I live in -- I think I'd prefer a quick cutscene using proxies from the paperdolls of your current ship and the ship you want to change to facing each other with a shuttle quickly jetting from one to the other with a small and fast fade-in/fade-out scene, not unlike the beam-out cutscene when you transfer from ground to space.

Perhaps so - in either case I imagine we're both hoping for things that won't come to pass here ;-)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Yes, I do absolutely love it! Thank you so much for this long needed change!!!

Indeed, it's nice. And something that people have asked for. Unfortunately the Robert Picards are already out in force complaining about it.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Indeed, it's nice. And something that people have asked for. Unfortunately the Robert Picards are already out in force complaining about it.

I think they are complaining about being able to swap ships almost everywhere, not about being able to save the layout. At least that's how much I got from it.
  • brakkennbrakkenn Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let me get this straight, you would rather have to transwarp or manually fly back to ESD or another starbase, which would require 1 or more loading screens then beam onto the spacedock (another loading screen), run to the turbolift to go the the ship selector(another quick loading screen) then run to the Ship NPC to change ships instead of being able to instantly change to a ship in space? Are you a TRIBBLE?
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If we had to speak to our bridge comms officer to change ships and then getting a cutscene would maintain all immersion. We just have a mini cutscene when we change ships in space:
    We see our ship, our other ship Transwarps in and comes alongside and then we see a few faction specific shuttles moves from current ship to new ship then old ship warps out. there we go no immersion lost at all.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Long story short, IMO it makes no sense that i have to report to a star base to change ships.
    The OP clearly has never heard from the concept of ferry pilots.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tuffli, Cell ship, Fleet Starbase, Fleet Dilithium Mine, Fleet Embassy, Fleet Spire. Social zones still seem populated to me.

None of which are readily accessible to the masses. :rolleyes:
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So it seems that season 8.5 will give us the opportunity to change our starships in sector space. Good or bad? I say bad.

Being able to change your ship out of spacedock is bad for a number of reasons.

1) It further diminishes the believability of the game.

Yes, games require a person to suspend disbelief, but if something becomes more and more and more unbelievable it becomes a farce.

2) It's lazy and a form of instant gratification.

What is it with the need for instant gratification? I want my other ship NOW, DAMN IT!!! Didn't people get taught patience when they were younger? What's the next instant gratification, being able to call the Azura with no countdown? Then what? No cooldown on transwarp? Then what? Press a button to level up? Every time the game gets its challenges removed the less rewarding it becomes and the less people will play it. What's the point if there's nothing to work through/overcome/spend time doing?

3) It focuses more people in the areas that are deemed useful.

DS9 was a useful location as it was the only place where you could do STF stuff. Now it's a lot more quiet as there's no real need to be there. The need to go to spacedock will be greatly diminished, pushing more people in to other areas. What's next, putting a dabo table and latinum trader on ESD? That would make it so much more easier for those lazy people who want everything now but it would deaden Drozana and DS9 a little bit more. The less and less we need to travel to certain places to do things the lazier this game feels.

SOLUTION

Don't allow players to change ships in sector space. Make people travel to spacedock to do it. Whilst you're at it, start giving more importance to places that the player has to travel to. Give us reasons to actually go somewhere instead of giving us instant access to this mission or that resource. We need something for a mission or for crafting something? Make us work to get it. Product X can only be obtained from K7, item Y can only be crafted at DS9, task Z can only be initiated from Vulcan. After all, the easier the game gets the less interesting it becomes.

I know there will be people who disagree with my opinion but can we please have constructive responses instead of insults?

OP: you're completely correct. Having rapid access to change out gear or ships is completely unrealistic.

Therefore I propose that you can't change ships without giving your entire crew time to pack up their gear, put your active ship into mothballs, de-mothball your new ship, fuel and arm it, stock provisions and generally perform a shakedown cruise prior to assuming active service.

As such changing ships should take anywhere between 4-12 weeks depending on crew performance. While this is occurring your character is unavailable because they must oversee this entire operation, so I hope you have an alt.

Sounds good yes? :P
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would like to ask those who oppose it exactly how it's hurting them. If you say that it will make the masses lazy, well that happened a long time ago and nothing Cryptic does will effect that either way. I have no real care either way since I only change ships when leveling an alt when I have to go to a hub to get a new ship anyway.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »

You sort of can. Or at least from your shuttlecraft, you can switch from ship/shuttle/last big ship you had out. So although not your full roster, you can at least switch easy between a pvp ship and a pve ship, provided you remember to ready them both before you leave a starbase.

Personally, this makes no difference to me. As I like to rp, I'll probably still make my way to the fleet starbase to switch, but it's good news for those that dont. Or if I want to just quickly switch for a quick messing about, it's handy for that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gardat wrote: »
    OP: you're completely correct. Having rapid access to change out gear or ships is completely unrealistic.

Therefore I propose that you can't change ships without giving your entire crew time to pack up their gear, put your active ship into mothballs, de-mothball your new ship, fuel and arm it, stock provisions and generally perform a shakedown cruise prior to assuming active service.

As such changing ships should take anywhere between 4-12 weeks depending on crew performance. While this is occurring your character is unavailable because they must oversee this entire operation, so I hope you have an alt.

Sounds good yes? :P

I find your sarcastic comment on the OP's opinion rather hillarious after seeing your avatar pic. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is no rpg play involved in changing ships now and just being somewhere doesnt count. Thats like saying i cant start a sci doff assignment without being on my ships map and in a sci lab area. Its just stupid. Or you cant switch uniform anywhere except the captains quarters cause what would people say if your captain started swichting his uniform on the ds9 promenade.
    So the new system just avoids loads of clicks but doesnt hurt rpg. If you want to restrict yourself from using this stuff an where else other than esd be my guest. But trying to force other players to do the same is plain arrogance. I have to put up with all the kiddies running around with their weapons on their backs and badly designed uniforms and ships so if i can pit up with all that you guys can out up with faster changing between ships. Noone forces you to use it in any way you dont want.